Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 msusnicknel
Msg: 826
view profile
History
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?Page 34 of 77    (20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60)

As I stated earlier, smoking pot can also cause psychosis and draw out any latent mental illness.. good times

Okay, first off, psychosis is a somewhat vague term used to describe a whole array of mental illnesses and their symptoms. It is not a clinical diagnosis.

Secondly, these things can also "cause psychosis and draw out any latent mental illness":

-Stress (better not date anyone who works a stressful job, or has children, money, relatives, a commute, or any other cause of stress in their lives. They might have "psychosis.")
-Alcohol
-Improper diet
-Lack of exercise
-Insufficient sleep
-Allergic reactions
-Changes in the weather, or lack of sunlight (see seasonal affective disorder)
-The death of a loved one or pet
-Divorce, marriage, child birth
-Insufficient vitamin levels

I guess its best we just hole up all alone in fear that our potential partner may, at some point, have a mental illness. Of course, we may not want to ever date anyone who has, or may develop any sort of illness (after all, that is what mental illness IS, an illness.) So we'd better not date anyone who smokes, drinks, goes out in the sun (darn that skin cancer!), has breasts or testicles(they get cancer, too,) drives (might get in an accident,) etc...

Geesh...
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 827
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?
Posted: 7/6/2007 12:54:56 PM

Psychosis? Mental Illness? Where are you getting this information-crap????
Educate yourself first..........
Truly hilarious.. where did I get that info? Ummmm, my education!! I have also worked with people who toked one too many joints and became psychotic or delusional... which became drug induced psychosis or delusional disorder.. which if prolonged can also lead to schizophrenia.

You bore me............................
Is that supposed to affect me? Funny, learning new information has never bored me... can't relate ;)

Okay, first off, psychosis is a somewhat vague term used to describe a whole array of mental illnesses and their symptoms. It is not a clinical diagnosis.
Drug induced psychosis/delusional disorder is indeed within the pages of the DSM IV.. it's all there for your viewing pleasure ;)

And yes, many of the things on your above list can cause psychosis.. but aren't we here to discuss smoking pot?? And here I was thinking that was the topic...
Geesh...
 msusnicknel
Msg: 828
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 2:37:26 PM

Drug induced psychosis/delusional disorder is indeed within the pages of the DSM IV.. it's all there for your viewing pleasure ;)

That is true, but that also isn't what you said in your previous post. You said pot can cause psychosis. Drug induced psychosis is, indeed, in the DSM IV. Typically, it is associated with long term and heavy street drug use, usually cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, etc. Drug induced psychosis caused by marijuana use is extremely rare (in fact, I've yet to find 1 case of DIP caused by marijuana use exclusively. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just can't find a case.) There are always other drug(s) involved, and it occurs following long periods of heavy use. We're talking about the poeple who use all day every day, not the person who occasionally tokes one up and listens to a Bob Marley album...

And yes, many of the things on your above list can cause psychosis.. but aren't we here to discuss smoking pot?? And here I was thinking that was the topic...

I think you missed my point. It seems kind of arbitrary to dismiss someone based on 1 trait or habit that MAY someday lead to a medical condition. I wouldn't dismiss somebody outright because they ate an unhealthy diet (might develop diabetes,) or who occasionally had 1 too many alcoholic drinks(might someday turn into a raging, abusive alcoholic,) or who had a family member with a mental illness(HUGE risk factor for mental illness.) Why would I dismiss someone outright because of this one aspect of their life?

Think of it this way...Would you ever date an ex military man? After all, veterans have incredibly high rates of mental illness (PTSD.) Do all vets experience mental health problems? Of course not, but some do.

Do all people who smoke pot (or do other drugs)experience mental health problems? Of course not, but some do.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 829
Posted: 7/6/2007 2:46:11 PM

You said pot can cause psychosis. Drug induced psychosis is, indeed, in the DSM IV.
Hmmm... I don't see the difference.. ? Pot is a drug which can induce psychosis.. what's not to understand??

Drug induced psychosis caused by marijuana use is extremely rare (in fact, I've yet to find 1 case of DIP caused by marijuana use exclusively. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just can't find a case.)
Well I have SEEN people who this has happened to regardless of whether you can find literature to back that up.

There are always other drug(s) involved, and it occurs following long periods of heavy use.
Not true in BOTH cases. It CAN be just the use of marijuana and it can be from just using briefly, especially in the case where it brings out latent schizophrenia.

It seems kind of arbitrary to dismiss someone based on 1 trait or habit that MAY someday lead to a medical condition.
And I think it is kind of odd to dismiss information on the possible dangers of something you choose to imbibe in, but hey.. I guess that's just me ;)
I didn't say that I would dismiss someone who smokes pot because it can lead to psychosis, I was simply pointing out the possible dangers, what could be wrong with that?
My reasons for excluding someone who smokes pot is pages back in this thread... which is MY choice....
I respect yours so long as you don't lie about it.
 d.t.o
Msg: 830
Posted: 7/6/2007 7:17:50 PM
How can someone who doesn't use pot,be with another who does? Good question..my personal experience says no. I do not find the skunk stink or the gurgle of lung butter that a habitual user developes or has.I do not find it sexy in any shape or form.
 Road King
Msg: 831
Posted: 7/8/2007 8:09:24 AM
piscespower is a prime example of what weed does to your mind. if you are an idiot to begin with then it will show that very well...the weed of wisdom..it wasn't meant for women...lucifer told eve it would make her wise like god...some women will believe anything...
 Road King
Msg: 832
Posted: 7/8/2007 8:10:52 AM
now i'm off to flash some lightening...
 piscespower
Msg: 833
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:32:53 AM
BORING.....nothing more boring than talking to someone who knows nothing about life, stress, illness, whether mental or not.
Maybe this has to do with being bi-polar or attention defecit????

Stop looking down your nose at us...you've revealed youself as an uptight, short sighted, prejudiced SNOB.....Hey folks...read up!!!!

oh, and go touch up those roots, you fugly fake blond

BLOWING DELICIOUS WEED SMOKE IN YER FACE!!!!!!
 piscespower
Msg: 834
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:44:43 AM
awwww, poor Road Rash...er, king (yeah king of something)
Just beacuse I turned your ugly butt away, and now he's trashing me...
BORING!!!!!!!!!

Your opinions you too, fugly blondie, mean NOTHING....NOTHING to me......

I laugh and fart in your direction
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 835
Posted: 7/8/2007 2:35:48 PM
It is very easy to generalize people who smoke pot while taking in certain ignorant comments.... people who clearly don't even comprehend that they are making the opposite stance's point for them

Too bad too, because there are other extremely intelligent people who occassionally imbibe who I would imagine are most likely embarressed right now..

I hope they come back :)
 pujakama
Msg: 836
Posted: 7/9/2007 1:31:19 PM
Pisces said...

Stop looking down your nose at us...you've revealed youself as an uptight, short sighted, prejudiced SNOB.....Hey folks...read up!

I certainly dont think she is any of those things. Aside from having some rather wild fantasies rather than facts about weed, she isnt insulting and hasnt shown any "predjudice" towards smokers. Ive bumped into this lady in other threads and know she is cool, and pretty smart too.
I have nothing against offering someone their fair share of insults if they have been doing the same. You only paint "our side" in a poor light by starting in with insults at someone who has been civil so far.

Sassy said...

Well I have SEEN people who this has happened to regardless of whether you can find literature to back that up.

This literature is there (or rather, it isnt there) because this person is correct. Like you, I have known the people who "went crazy" from pot.... in these cases they were as much of a crazed drooling idiot before they smoked weed and the weed just peels back a few of our social filters, showing who we really are.

You may have SEEN something, but if anything, the weed was a side note to a much larger problem. A side note, and a likely scape goat. As msusnicknel pointed out, he cant find one case of something like what you describe happening. So theres a chance you saw something, and attributed its source to the side note rather than the problem.

Sassy said...

I was simply pointing out the possible dangers, what could be wrong with that?

They find it laughable because its akin to warning someone of the dangers of having a beer.

J
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 837
Posted: 7/9/2007 5:37:48 PM
Glad you came to comment pujakama.. you in fact were who I was referring to in my last post.. how did you know? ;)
Aside from having some rather wild fantasies rather than facts about weed
I know the facts of what I speak.. I wouldn't assert them as such if I didn't. Many of them can be backed up by the DSM IV for any who are interested in verifying my words..

in these cases they were as much of a crazed drooling idiot before they smoked weed and the weed just peels back a few of our social filters, showing who we really are.
You'll recall I said that smoking pot can draw out latent mental illness... which may have remained dormant had the person not messed with their brain chemistry by smoking pot. Yes, I know.. there is no proof that the mental illness would have stayed dormant.. but there is literature to back that up... I know, because I read it as part of my education.

You may have SEEN something, but if anything, the weed was a side note to a much larger problem. A side note, and a likely scape goat. As msusnicknel pointed out, he cant find one case of something like what you describe happening. So theres a chance you saw something, and attributed its source to the side note rather than the problem.
What I have seen as part of my education and work experience are people who smoked one too many joints and ended up with drug induced psychosis diagnsoed as such by a psychiatrist... for some of them, once the drug was removed, they were fine again, for their brain chemistry became balanced once again, but in other cases the damage had gone on for too long and they now require medication to balance their brain chemistry.

The paranoia many people experience while smoking pot can enlarge into a period of psychosis... these aren't fantasies pujakama, it is a reality.

Do I think that everyone who smokes pot will experience psychosis? No... but it can happen.. just like drinking alcohol has its inherent dangers... and it would be foolhardy to deny the existence of any of those dangers, no?

I decided to mention what I have in this thread because most of the people I know don't even realize that smoking pot could cause such a thing.. I certainly know no one told me this information back when I was a pothead.. I might have felt differently about it if someone had ;)

I have always enjoyed your perspective Pujakama, in this we may disagree... but I still have respect for you and your views :)
 KayAdams
Msg: 838
Posted: 7/9/2007 9:28:38 PM

oh, and go touch up those roots, you fugly fake blond

This is the main thing that discourages me with forums - the fact that people reduce themselves to childish personal attacks rather than state their opinion and/or facts and accept that others have different opinions. When the topic suddenly become a personal attack on looks - well I am sitting here thinking, "What the hell was that about?" And what is the purpose of saying "I blow smoke in your face". What the hell kind of response is that?

Nobody wants to date someone who is going to suddenly start calling them names or commenting on their looks just because they have a differing viewpoint. Who cares if you smoke pot or not - you have proven yourself undateable simply because of your lack of tolerance.
 michaeljustin
Msg: 839
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 3:50:07 PM
You'll recall I said that smoking pot can draw out latent mental illness... which may have remained dormant had the person not messed with their brain chemistry by smoking pot. Yes, I know.. there is no proof that the mental illness would have stayed dormant.. but there is literature to back that up... I know, because I read it as part of my education.

i would like to see the proof on this one sassy...are you getting the proof from old goverment studies done in the 1970's to try and stop pot from being legal? alot of bias studies are still floating around..and if pot is so bad..why are all the test coming back saying..no it doesnt cause cancer..no it doesnt cause low sperm count..no it doesnt effect anything besides short term memory only while your high...and if it causes mental illness why did msnbc and alot of studies say pot mite help you from not getting alzhimers? this is from msnbc

WASHINGTON - Good news for aging hippies: smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer’s disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the formation of deposits in the brain associated with the degenerative disease.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase from accelerating the formation of "Alzheimer plaques" in the brain more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.
THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer’s patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer’s, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer’s suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

now sassy..if its so bad on your brain why does it help people from getting one of the worst degenerative brain diseases you can get in your life time?..my grampa died of this..and i hope to god i dont..and if it works great..i better start toking up..lol...i still beleive alcohal is a much more proven brain destructive drug...and thats a fact.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 840
Posted: 7/12/2007 3:55:32 PM
^^ I mentioned one possible negative effect of smoking pot and included the source of my information (the DSM IV), so I don't understand what the problem is?

I in NO way said that it is ALL bad.. I have also admitted that I used to be a pothead... the fact that you have included information in favor of smoking pot is your perogative, just as it was mine to include some information that few people know as to it's possible negative effects, what could possibly be wrong with that?

If you are going to imbibe, it's a good idea to be knowledgeable about the good AND the bad, no?
 michaeljustin
Msg: 841
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:03:08 PM
talking about the same people who said being gay was a mental illness?

im sure pot has a few downsides..but they sure have a hard time finding it..and if it helps with alzhimers i think everyone should take a step back and think about that one in the long run too.

ps..i would rather be crazy than not knowing who my freinds and family are.lol
 atlast
Msg: 842
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:05:30 PM
Oh...huh? What was the question? Wow man! This place is so ...

What were we talking about? I am soooo hungry!
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 843
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:14:38 PM
Michaeljustin: Feel free to toke up a storm, I'm not here to try and stop you...

But DO be honest about your love for the herb in your profile.. it gives others the freedom to choose whether or not that works for them ;)
 michaeljustin
Msg: 844
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:16:37 PM
Michaeljustin: Feel free to toke up a storm, I'm not here to try and stop you...

i dont toke..go back and read my orignal post..lol..i work for a living and get tested..use to smoke back in the day...lol,..but hey..if it mite save me from my grandads infliction..maybe i should start again...your no love for the herb is making you bias..lol i dont smoke cigs or weed..thx very much..sorry my long hair threw you off..not all long hair guys smoke..lol next? lol

ps..nice bias decision on my long hair and my stance on pot..lol you didnt even bother asking if i toked..you just made your mind up cause i was defending it.lol
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 845
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:26:29 PM

ps..i would rather be crazy than not knowing who my freinds and family are.lol
Yes, it must have been my stereotypical attitude against men with long hair

Please.
 michaeljustin
Msg: 846
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 4:40:23 PM
you must have been,..roll your eyes all you want..if you dont believe me..fine..my job and pee test believe me and thats all that matters..lol

all i was doing was posting the good things it does for folks..i dont mind diffrent options. but dont call me a lier just cause i said..i would rather be crazy than no mind at all..lol.
please.

ps. your jumping to conclusions a little to fast about me i think..lol and by original post i meaning one i made on this thread a month or more ago..it clearly states my preference.

this website shows the good and bads without much bias..it even mentions DSM IV. http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1441

sassyaquarius
Msg: 847
Posted: 7/12/2007 6:13:10 PM
^^ I wasn't implying that you are lying, just that I don't have a stereotypical view of men with long hair. I also didn't mean to assume as to whether you do smoke pot, but some of your comments made me think you did. I stand corrected :)
 strats4
Msg: 848
Posted: 7/23/2007 9:27:17 AM
The question is can pot smokers handle non smokers who think pot is no good ,but think alcohol is just great.Who would ya rather hang out with someone who drinks or someone who smokes a bit and doesnt drink?Drinking is fine but ppl who drink too much
 vahbsc
Msg: 849
Posted: 7/23/2007 9:35:23 AM
it isn't a big deal. cocaine is...
 Joquer
Msg: 850
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2007 10:11:42 AM
i use to smoke a lot, back home its practically legal... so its like if someone doesnt smoke, then i dont smoke around them... or if im going to see them (so i dont see them when i am high) but by all means, i dont hide it from them...

a lot of guys i date now smoke and they are always nice enough to ask if its ok if they smoke around meh (i dont care if they do)... now if they were doing something like crack *lol* we would have not only issues but the end of a relationship...

i guess i dont consider pot as a deal breaker drug...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?