Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 printer2
Msg: 951
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?Page 39 of 77    (37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77)
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?

I did not have the patience to weed through all the pages so if this was already brought up ...

Non-pot smokers can handle pot smokers, all you have to do is talk very slowly.

luckych4rm
Msg: 952
Posted: 8/18/2007 10:28:52 PM

http://www.priory.com/psych/cannabis.htm
All this did was confirm what I already knew.

Indeed. It did not cite a single study so it does not really confirm anything, other than there are like minded people. There are a lot of prohibitionists and alarmists in the world. Many of them work in the psychiatric and pharmaceutical industry. There always seems to be quite a conflict of interest there ;)
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 953
Posted: 8/18/2007 10:34:25 PM
Obviously nothing will prove it to you, lol..... I really could care less, the thing that I have stressed throughout is that there are positives and negatives to anything you partake of... it isn't rocket science. Ignore the negatives if you wish, but that does not mean that they do not exist.

Can you still say with certainty that smoking pot does NOT cause psychosis? No, you cannot, because even if the possibility is a fraction of a percent, that possibility still exists. The articles clearly show strong evidence regardless of whether it satisfies your quite obviously biased mind ;)

Kell.
Msg: 954
Posted: 8/18/2007 10:45:53 PM
I still say that psychosis is not caused by pot alone. I like to look at this point more from a Sociologists point of view. Are there not kids packing guns to school nowadays, gangs, other issues that we did not have to deal with as children. Are these people overall happy with themselves? Most people dislike something about their appearance and society in general has become more critical of that.
Also I would like to ask Sassyaquarius. When were drug tests, and bloodwork analysts last updated to include some of the new drugs that are out there today? Also I would like to hear what a psychiatrist has to say on your claims. Obviously you work with them so ask their opinion, let me know.....sincerely I would like to. Also I personally have sold pot and worse to doctors and surgeons.....what would your opinion on that be.
For the record I have not sold pot since I was 20, almost 7 years ago.
I doubt you'll change my mind on the subject or vice versa so courtesy is always appreciated.
Also is it hard enough to acknowledge that I am not a psychotic? I smoke pot on a semi regular basis and would always choose it over alcohol.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 955
Posted: 8/18/2007 11:22:59 PM

I still say that psychosis is not caused by pot alone.
I never said that it was, my point is that pot CAN cause psychosis, not in all cases, but that it can.

I like to look at this point more from a Sociologists point of view. Are there not kids packing guns to school nowadays, gangs, other issues that we did not have to deal with as children. Are these people overall happy with themselves? Most people dislike something about their appearance and society in general has become more critical of that.
I don't understand what you mean here.... ?

Also I would like to ask Sassyaquarius. When were drug tests, and bloodwork analysts last updated to include some of the new drugs that are out there today?
None of what I have said is to imply that pot is the only drug that causes psychosis, other drugs are known to be far worse in this regard, but marijuana is the only one being discussed in this thread.

Also I would like to hear what a psychiatrist has to say on your claims. Obviously you work with them so ask their opinion, let me know.....sincerely I would like to.
Well I am pretty sure what a psychiatrist's opinion would be, they are the ones who use the DSM IV to diagnose people with drug induced psychosis, so I don't really need to ask them. If you are curious though, I am sure you could call a local one... and I don't mean that to be snotty, why take my word for it if you can get it straight from them?

Also is it hard enough to acknowledge that I am not a psychotic? I smoke pot on a semi regular basis and would always choose it over alcohol.
I have absolutely no judgement against pot smokers (other than that they be honest about it which you have been), I myself used to be a pothead which I have admitted to numerous times in this thread... and I know that not everyone who smokes pot will have a psychotic episode. In fact probably MOST will not, I was simply pointing out that it CAN happen. If someone had told me this back when I was a pothead, it might have made me think differently....

However I am not trying to change your mind, only presenting the information as I know it.
 luckych4rm
Msg: 956
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:35:07 AM
hi carpenterKell

Also I would like to hear what a psychiatrist has to say on your claims.

I know that there is a handful of psychiatrists who would agree with her. Thankfully only a handful. For example, one of the articles she posted (the one which did not cite any studies - http://www.priory.com/psych/cannabis.htm) appears to be composed by a consultant psychiatrist from "St John , God Health Services", "The Education Centre of God Hospital", "Shelton Hospital" and "God Health Services", according to zoominfo. Is it wrong to question the motives of a professional?

The conflict of interest involving psychiatrists and cannabis is that the criminal justice system sends a large number of people into forced treatment as an alternative to jail, then psychiatrists and big pharma get their share. Patient goes away now addicted to anti-depressents, Ritalin, Lorazepam or whatever, convinced something is wrong with them. Surely they will have a return customer.

Hah! And sassyaquarius calls me biased. I suppose I am. I want prohibition to end because it is harmful to society. What a horrible selfish person I must be.
 great_kahuna
Msg: 957
Posted: 8/19/2007 6:54:27 AM
I have read most of the posts her, and my conclution is : the way the pot smokers present their case answers my question, namely that their mind is scrambeled....some more some less depending on the amount smoked. And by the way , if I read anymore of their nonsense , I might even have to take up pot smoking myself to calm my nerves ....not really , I rather have a

The lamest of all posts was one "Lady" telling us that she rather goes to a bar where people smoke pot, rather then going to a bar where people get drunk. Her reasoning was that the "Pot Smoking Bar " is very quiet, where in the "Drunk Bar" there are fights.
I would rather go to the bar where people drink and maybe even fight , at least those people are alive aposed to the potsmokers bar where they are like a bunch of zombies.

Now I am going for a NON POT SMOKER
 Kell.
Msg: 958
Posted: 8/21/2007 3:41:56 AM
Sorry my point with looking at it from a sociologists point of view. Let me clarify. As we all know depression comes in many forms as I am sure Sassy can attest. I beleive that it is a result of life in our society today that leads to "some" cases of depression. If "some" of these cases that Sassy is talking about had clinical depression to begin with then psychotic symptoms could be directly related to this.
I don't know........ that is what I would like to hear a psychiatrists opinion on also.
Thanks again Kell
Hey Lucky always enjoy the comments keep em coming.
 Kell.
Msg: 959
Posted: 8/22/2007 7:40:00 PM
One other thing I would like to ad. Has anyone bothered to read the information that anyone else has posted. Lucky has great information with credited doctors as well as Sassy. Statistics can be skewed in anyone's favor. Also if you were getting a paper published; would you put information in it that would contradict your hypothesis?
Personally I like the FDA's findings. The FDA however does not do psychological testing on its animals.
I won't even go into that however because it gets away from the point of this thread.
Later Kell.
Everyone should just put a yes or no reply and thats it. lol. Then there wouldn't be all this arguing. Later again Kell.
 happystone
Msg: 960
Posted: 8/23/2007 2:23:30 AM
sassy, the dsm IV is a JOKE. it has over 2000 mental disorders listed in it. various state and federal laws plus living in a bureaucracy has caused this extensive distortion of mental disorders. histopathology, the study of tissue, may as well not exist, where mental illnesses are concerned. a great many shrinks, psych nurses and therapists also think the dsm IV should be trimmed down a lot. have you ever read thomas szasz?? try him, his books might enlighten you.
 Summer-rain
Msg: 961
Posted: 8/23/2007 8:14:10 AM
As a NON pot smoker, I can handle pot smokers just fine.

The only problems I have with it are some of the results of long-term usage ... such as the mood/personality changes when supply runs out.

But, given the choice of a pot smoker or a drunk, I'd go with the pot smoker anyday!
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 962
Posted: 8/23/2007 10:28:30 AM

have you ever read thomas szasz?? try him, his books might enlighten you
Yes I have, what is your point? Does that change the fact that smoking pot can cause psychosis?? All I have done is present information on a possible negative effect of what many people on this thread choose to imbibe in... apparently the truth is offensive at times
 44magnum
Msg: 963
Posted: 8/23/2007 10:43:47 AM
^^^^^ I agree, started smoking pot at 13, around 25 began to experience paranoia. I know, I know, you potheads are going to say I just couldn't handle it, not true, instead I went on to crack cocaine! Been clean awhile now. Everyone is different, some are social users, some use it to change the way they feel which in my opinion is the basis for addiction.
 Pandora04
Msg: 964
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2007 2:31:04 PM
God made grass
Man made booze
Who do you trust?
no, I'm not a pothead...but I do partake of the occasional ganja...& yes I checked no drugs on here cause I don't consider that to be anywhere near the same league as most other drugs....never seen anyone high wreck their car or start a stupid fight...just makes ya horny & get the munchies...not to mention helps when you're stressed out or hurting...& I'm quite intelligent thank you very much...man there are some uptight ppl on here...
 Kell.
Msg: 965
Posted: 8/23/2007 9:26:43 PM
Sassy, not that it really matters but are you a RN or LPN? I don't want to dissuade you from your opinion because your obviously set to it and I don't know what you have seen with your personal experience at work.
Also from personal experience again and completely unrelataed. I used to take Zoplicone I do beleive thats what it was...... to sleep. My family doctor used to prescibe it to me in quite large dosages in fact. It got to the point where it wouldn't work and so I would be up for 3 days at a time. Now I smoke the occasional joint, not daily, but it helps....not all the time, but it does.
I use it instead of presciption sleeping pills now and may I add I don't do it on a daily basis.
I am aware of your facts and thanks for a different point of view. No sarcasm there sincerely. I still beleive that smoking a joing has less harmful side effects on my body than does alcohol, prescription pills or vegetables brought in from the states. That last part was my idea of a joke.
Peace Kell.
 phakospora
Msg: 966
Posted: 8/25/2007 2:48:26 PM
Hello,

I came across this forum and had to chime in. Just to start for #1. You know what the real "gate way" drug is, its cigarettes. How many people do you know that tried pot before they tried a drag of a smoke. Okay that's besides the point. I don't know, but if I didn't smoke pot through college, I would have never made it through a stacked schedule of organic chemistries, bio-physics, fungal physics, inorganic chems, etc. Maybe I am one of those rare breeds, who when I smoke a little, I am ready to do something. When my brain would get so full after hours of studying, yeah, it would be nice to relieve the head a little with some good dank through a glass. I never messed with any pills, coke, or anything of that nature, but if I am telling you personal experience, if not for weed, I would have never made it through the schedule I had. That's just me!!!!!!!!
 Calray
Msg: 967
Posted: 8/25/2007 2:58:51 PM
No, I can't handle it, I won't handle it, and I will judge you for using it.
 UniversityGirl11
Msg: 968
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2007 3:35:02 PM
Hmmmmm... I really liked what "Raven1" had to say on the first couple pages of this thread. I'm on the same wave length as Raven1 for sure.

I smoke pot. Sometimes I even smoke pot quite heavily... sometimes I don't amoke for months on end.

I'm amazed at the number of people who are completely against pot smoking but happily check the "drinking" box as social, occasional, frequently... etc. I just don't get it. In my experience, alcohol is FAR more dangerous than alcohol. I have kids... I'd be very upset tpo hear they drank alcohol, but not wooried much at all when (not if) they try pot.

Which young girl do you think would be in more danger girl 1 or girl 2? :

Girl 1 is at a party, people are smoking some weed, maybe passing a bong around, who knows maybe even smoking hash or oil. Girl one over indulges a bit, feels sleepy, maybe feels kinda quiet, maybe her head is racing with so many thoughts she can't decide which to chat about and decides to listen instead.

Girl 2 is at a party, people are drinking alcohol, maybe having shooters, maybe trying different kinds of alcohol. Girl 2 over indulges a bit, she can't walk right, she can't think straight, she may pass out, she may black out, other people are (as usual around large amounts of alcohol) loud, inconsiderate and stupid.

I'd FAR rather my daughter end up in being Girl 1 thanks! She's WAY less likely to be raped for sure. She's not going to pass out, vomit and drown. She's not going to be involved in drinking and driving, killing herself or someone else... the list goes on and on.

What's the worst thing a pot head did? Eat too many cookies and fall asleep on your couch for an hour??? What's the worst thing a drunken person did? I don't think I'll start the list of those things, they are upsetting and dangerous to the drinker and others. ALL people WILL get violent if they drink too much alcohol. I should look for some refernces to back that up. I learned in one of my classes in University how alcohol effects GABA in the human brain and it is a physiological FACT that EVERYONE will become violent. Thing is, many folks will pass out before they reach that stage (thankfully).

(U-Girl steps off soap box...)

I hope I find a laid back, intelligent pot smoking, soul mate here at POF. :-) If not, I'll be happy to meet and greet some like minded folks!
 Calray
Msg: 969
Posted: 8/25/2007 9:47:50 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people who are completely against pot smoking but happily check the "drinking" box as social, occasional, frequently... etc. I just don't get it.

1. use of alcohol is legal, use of pot is not. The disregard of the law in this matter already tells me something of the character of a pot user.

2. Moderate use of alcohol (1-2 drinks per day) has proven to have health benefits that improve quality of life and extend life expectancy even beyond what abstaining might. Only asserted health benefits of marijuanna are in the treatment of symptoms. I'm a fairly reasonable man I'll compromise for those who have such severe ailments as glaucoma and AIDS. But I'm amazed at how many illegal smokers justify their use because of "back pain". Yeah Right.

I'd FAR rather my daughter end up in being Girl 1 thanks!

I'd far rather my daughter not be either one. Kids have no business using either. Nor would I want her to be like the 19 year old kid who thought it was ok to get high a couple hours before he went to work in a machine shop. in his altered state he ended up leaning to far into a machine, got sucked in and ended up dead at his 7.50 job.

ALL people WILL get violent if they drink too much alcohol.

I learned in one of my classes in University how alcohol effects GABA in the human brain and it is a physiological FACT that EVERYONE will become violent

BuIIshlt. Easiest way to know when you're being propagandized is the use of absolutes. EVERYONE never does [becomes]anything. And in True and False questions Always, and Never are FAlse. Give me a source because I did every Google imaginable and there was nothing to support or deny your assertion. Although I can see why a pothead would immediately jump on that to justify partying.

intelligent pot smoking

That is what is called an oxymoron.

`
 spider45
Msg: 970
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:35:30 AM
My answer to the question is NO.

If the question was reversed I can say that the pot smokers are more tolerant than the non pot smokers.

What I am curious about is it more about the actual MJ or just that it is illegal????????????

If pot was legal would your opinion change??????????

As someone who indulges I fully understand the health aspects as I would about potato chips, teflon pans, bathroom cleaners and alcohol. And as any sane person who reads stats knows that those numbers of incidents are low and are affected by each individuals weakness to an exposure of what they handle.

To each there own and can we let this one die already?
 sure_feet
Msg: 971
Posted: 8/26/2007 8:55:35 AM
There's so much hypocrisy, and so little time...

First, it's not about intelligence: anyone who wants to stereotype pot smokers as idiots by using terms like "oxymoron" is wasting everyone's time. "oxymoron" is an oxymoron. Maybe you don't smoke because you already "think outside the box"? It’s not just musicians, writers, directors and actors who have "puffed the magic dragon", but doctors, lawyers, judges too. Who is judging who's intelligence? And who is throwing stones? (Why, I've even heard about sitting U.S. presidents who have used cocaine.)

The science has been done and done and done again; in California in the 60s, Holland in the 80s, Canada in the 21st century. It was only a few years ago that the Canadian Senate said what so many investigations, probes, hearings and studies all over the globe have said for at least 40 years now: Decriminalise marijuana. The “Reefer Madness” quotes are not facts. If your argument is health, cigarettes & alcohol will always trump you.

Paranoia? It seems that there are some really straight folk out there who are already paranoid. Who needs to smoke to fear and loathe everything in sight? Some of the posts over these 40 plus pages are very aggressive. Some really, really need a puff; it can't make it worse.

Legality is definitely an issue for you members in the states. And I understand it, because the citizenry are armed. I would rather walk softly & carry a big spliff, than a big stick, or a glock. I don't understand the pre-occupation with a side-line argument like "the law" being used to determine the morality of a pot smoker though, because there are places where pot-smoking is legal. If your only problem with pot is that it's illegal, then your issue is the law, not the pot.
(Personally, I would love to put something in "NAFTA" that keeps Canadian seeds in Canada, and American guns in America. I'd feel burdened by a gun, not free.)

I have a degree, a career, and I’ve travelled & worked overseas. I speak three languages. I’ve lived with roommates, and have witnessed many different approaches to life. Pot smoking is not about maturity. I had one roommate who wouldn’t touch grass, but spent at least 6 hours a day watching television (the idiot box?). I had another who didn’t smoke, but kept her room—well, she didn’t keep her room! She was a slob. Seeing as how this post would not be the first to stereotype, I will add that she was more than “man sloppy”.
(When I moved in, I saw a butter-knife on her carpet floor (next to her mattress-no-backspring-bed-on-the-floor). Her room was at the top of the stairs, and she always left her door open (so her cats could run thru her room and the rest of the house—4 roommates total). Everyday, I noticed that the butter-knife didn’t move. If it were being used for opening mail, it would move right? It sat there. I stopped counting at 6 weeks.)
I also know people who don’t smoke and can’t remember their passwords, or user names. It would also seem that many of us can “waste time” on “plenty-of-fish” without any dope.

Honesty? So many profiles do the lip-service of looking for truth. Please hear Jack Nicholson’s voice in your head now. How many want to hear that they are the ones with a hang-up? Do you know how many people are being excluded because they practiced what they preach, and admitted that they inhaled? Is the internet still a refuge for nerds, and geeks who are on-line because they can’t speak to people? How many became “tired of the bar scene” because they figured out that they actually liked the bar more than the scene? How many brainiacs are out there finally comprehending that when you need a sales-pitch to “make that connection” (be sold on someone), it just means that you’ll fall for any salesman? How many of us throwing “chemistry” around would buy a love-potion (or a vaccine) if it were available? How many trust the enormous gait of the stars; the influence of the heavens, but not as much as an on-line photo, or much more earthly movement? So, grass is a "deal-breaker" eh?
 gerry090
Msg: 972
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:01:59 AM
no more than non smokers can handle smokers over the long run
 samsplace
Msg: 973
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:23:15 AM
when i asked my ex when we first started dating if he smoked, he said "no" I don't and can't tolerate smoke at all. a couple of months down the road, i find out he smokes pot. Like every day. Like every couple of hours. Not always a whole one, but every, say, two hours. He informs me "it's not real pot, i cut it with tobacco." So, a) it IS real pot, and b) do you not realize that you are probably addicted to the nicotine. He'll take it with us when we go out anywhere, which doesn't make me feel too secure!!! In my car? Yet i enjoy an occasional drink, and he doesn't drink, so of course i get dirty looks and lectures on the evils of alcohol.........
 Calray
Msg: 974
Posted: 8/26/2007 1:51:46 PM

anyone who wants to stereotype pot smokers as idiots by using terms like "oxymoron" is wasting everyone's time.

I'm driving home the fact that there is nothing intelligent about smoking pot. I don't care what your IQ or your education is, the use of pot indicates a suspension of any intelligence sole for the purpose of getting high.

If your argument is health, cigarettes & alcohol will always trump you

Again how do you figure? Moderate use of alcohol has proven to have health benefits beyond what abstaining will provide, and the health dangers of cigarettes lie in the tar, and marijuana has MORE tar content than cigarettes in the same amount.

I don't understand the pre-occupation with a side-line argument like "the law" being used to determine the morality of a pot smoker though, because there are places where pot-smoking is legal.

It's as simple as this. Disregarding the law and all the risks and consequences that come with that is an indicator of the users priorities. The high is more important than all the things that are put at risk to pursue that high. Family, Jobs, Financial stability, etc. But this crosswiring of priorities is common in addiction. Now I'll cut off the argument that Marijuana isn't addictive right here. I can't talk about the science, but I've observed enough people who use to say that they behave like addicts.

(Personally, I would love to put something in "NAFTA" that keeps Canadian seeds in Canada, and American guns in America. I'd feel burdened by a gun, not free.)

Great!!!!!!! Here we agree. In fact a recent move across state lines has put restrictions on my 2nd ammendment rights. I now live in a state with a much higher crime rate, and a state law that won't let me protect myself. Make no mistake I'll be moving back.

Honesty? So many profiles do the lip-service of looking for truth. Please hear Jack Nicholson’s voice in your head now. How many want to hear that they are the ones with a hang-up? Do you know how many people are being excluded because they practiced what they preach, and admitted that they inhaled? Is the internet still a refuge for nerds, and geeks who are on-line because they can’t speak to people? How many became “tired of the bar scene” because they figured out that they actually liked the bar more than the scene? How many brainiacs are out there finally comprehending that when you need a sales-pitch to “make that connection” (be sold on someone), it just means that you’ll fall for any salesman? How many of us throwing “chemistry” around would buy a love-potion (or a vaccine) if it were available? How many trust the enormous gait of the stars; the influence of the heavens, but not as much as an on-line photo, or much more earthly movement? So, grass is a "deal-breaker" eh?

Yes grass (or any kind of smoking for me) is a deal breaker.
 Kell.
Msg: 975
Posted: 8/27/2007 7:41:30 PM
Well first off to Calray. Red wine is the only form of alcohol that has been proven in any study I have seen to have health benefits when taken in moderation on a daily basis.
Secondly if you are Canadian anyhow, which I realize you aren't but....In Canada it is legal to possess up to 27 grams. So people who are using aren't disrespecting or breaking any laws.
Also you made fun of someone else and there point that everyone who drinks becomes violent. Your point was something about using absolutes, well you would be just as guilty as her for your attitude towards marijuana users.
Also I know doctors, surgeons and lawyers who all use marijuana recreationally. Those people are all pretty smart in my books.
My point to you is this. To each there own.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?