Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 1101
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?Page 45 of 77    (37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77)

In my experience it is more like can pot smokers handle non pot smokers? :-)

Hit the nail on the head. Many people who can't function without weed don't seem to understand others being happy without it.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 1102
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?
Posted: 9/7/2008 6:46:32 PM

Sure anybody is free to smoke it. That's their freedom. I reserve the right not to date any such person. That's my freedom.
Exactly!!

And the only thing standing in the way is honesty... I have noticed that some pot smokers are dishonest about their usage because they don't percieve it as being a drug... that is my ONLY judgment about pot smokers.. the honesty factor..

Otherwise it is simply a personal preference to not be around it.
 platypus_man
Msg: 1103
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 5:15:41 AM
I think the hardest thing about being around users is that they always seem to insist that I partake of their habit with them, and when I refuse, they act insulted, as if I said they were trying to poison me, or like there's something wrong with me because I don't need to get high!
That said, if they can handle being around me, I can handle being around them. Live and let live. But if they insist on smoking around me, I reserve the right to wear a dress when around them. Only fair.
 TrinB
Msg: 1104
Posted: 9/8/2008 9:45:32 AM
couple of problems here.......i'm sure you'd agree that if you are a pot smoker and the woman is not well....you wouldn't have much in common....i mean you're sitting around blazin while she's wonderin what the he*l she's doin with you in the first place...on the other side of it is this: what if she quit years ago (herself).....and the mere site or scent of weed drives her crazy.....gives her cravings for the "buzz"....and ends up costing her...her career maybe.... her sanity...hmm and maybe enough her self proclaimed drug free existence.....i believe there are many things (likes and dislikes) a couple can NOT have in common but, this one my friend....

i don't think so!

it's kinda like pairing up an alcoholic with someone who got clean at rehab 10 years ago!
 msusnicknel
Msg: 1105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 10:08:05 AM

couple of problems here.......i'm sure you'd agree that if you are a pot smoker and the woman is not well....you wouldn't have much in common....i mean you're sitting around blazin while she's wonderin what the he*l she's doin with you in the first place...on the other side of it is this: what if she quit years ago (herself).....and the mere site or scent of weed drives her crazy.....gives her cravings for the "buzz"....and ends up costing her...her career maybe.... her sanity...hmm and maybe enough her self proclaimed drug free existence.....i believe there are many things (likes and dislikes) a couple can NOT have in common but, this one my friend....

i don't think so!

it's kinda like pairing up an alcoholic with someone who got clean at rehab 10 years ago!

Okay, now that is just plain silly. By your argument, I can't date anyone who drinks alcohol, as I do not do so myself. She'd have a glass or three of wine, and I'd be sitting there wondering to myself what I was doing with her in the first place, because we clearly have little in common.

Now, I would agree with your point if the smoker is a chronic user (pun intended.) Of course, not many folks will want to be involved with someone who is a substance abuser, rather than a user (regardless of the particular substance.) For instance, I would be totally fine with a woman who has a few drinks, and maybe even gets drunk once in awhile, but I would NOT be okay with a girl who drinks every day or who has to have a drink in her before she can function.

I got dragged into the legalization side debate on this thread about about 15-20 pages ago, and am not interested in getting involved in that conversation again as it has been beaten to death. All I can say is vote yes on prop 1 in Michigan!

I can say that there are non-partakers out there who "deal with" pot-smokers quite well. I have a family member who doesn't partake, but her husband does. They've been married over 10 years now and appear to be pretty happy. And yes, they have lots in common (it might surprise you to know that a lot of pot smokers have interests aside from the herb.)
 jus dave
Msg: 1106
Posted: 9/8/2008 10:20:54 AM
well...uhhh...i just want to say...uhhh, uhhh,- DAMNIT i forgot what it was...
 shady_lady22
Msg: 1107
Posted: 9/8/2008 2:49:39 PM
It depends on the people involved. If you're someone who doesn't like pot or is uncomfortable around people who smoke it, then probably not. But maybe you could work around this if the person is worth it. There is more to a person than whether or not they smoke pot.

I don't smoke pot, my boyfriend does. He got me to try it and I didn't like it so I made it clear that I wouldn't be doing it again. Sometimes it's difficult like when he says he'll call or that we'll hang out and he doesn't follow through because he decided to go smoke a bowl with the guys instead and failed to mention it. It can get on my nerves sometimes. So now when I don't hear from him at the time that I expect to hear from him, it's safe to assume he's too busy getting high.

That hurts sometimes. But so far, that is the only problem we have. I don't have problem with him smoking pot. I'm not offended by it and I don't feel superior to people who do it. The only problem I have with it is that it sometimes becomes a hobby for a person. Sometimes people do it too much.

We're still young and despite this issue, we're in love. I can't look too far down the road, but he has said he intends on giving it up in the future. There was a point in his life when he smoked everyday and he hated what it did to him. He had no energy and no drive anymore. All he thought/cared about was getting high so he quit for almost a year. Recently, he started doing it again only not as much. But he still does it enough to make me just a little worried.

So to answer the question, it depends on the people. It depends on the non-smoker's comfort level with it and it depends on how often the smoker does it.
 Brooklyn...Brooklyn
Msg: 1108
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:09:24 PM
Reply to Harleycat

"No...what is REALLY sad are people who cannot accept that others just do not care to be around pot."

uhhhh........WHAT??!!

Try making sense and sticking to the topic if your going to quote someone and then reply to it.
 produceninja
Msg: 1109
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:14:42 PM
I think it may be more of a case of can pot smokers handle relationships with non pot smokers. I have found over the years that people who do smoke up have way more problem with my not smoking up then I do with their smoking up. I could care less if someone wants to get high, so long as they aren't driving, operating heavy machinery or manning the anti asteroid missile launchers.
 jus dave
Msg: 1110
Posted: 9/9/2008 4:02:13 PM
i usually try to be glib and phunny while trying to help people with some advice but this is too much...the title of this overly long thread is "can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers"...i don't want, need, or seek being "handled"- if you don't care for what a person does in the privacy of their home, stay the hell away.

mmmkay?

cheers

dave
 Saint Jimmy
Msg: 1111
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:52:18 PM
I am with Nada III...I personally agree with what most are saying here, in that it helps to be on the same page with these things..and I think it WOULD be smart to add a section in the profile ( even if under the "doing drugs" section) for smoking herb, because it would help to discern if someone is just the odd "midnight smoker", or if they do other drugs as well...personally I smoke herb and have no problem with it but other drugs are a no-no for me, and it would help to be able to separtate the two.
 rutryin2bfunny
Msg: 1112
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:16:26 PM

Yes of course they can silly.
Whenever someone smokes pot at my house, I grab a broomstick and jam it in their butt crack and push them right out the door with it.
Makes a great handle.
 Nascarguy80
Msg: 1113
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:38:45 PM
Nope and wont, I dont have anything against pot, but it is illeagl and thus dont want it around me or in my life.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 1114
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:53:24 PM

I think it WOULD be smart to add a section in the profile ( even if under the "doing drugs" section) for smoking herb, because it would help to discern if someone is just the odd "midnight smoker", or if they do other drugs as well...personally I smoke herb and have no problem with it but other drugs are a no-no for me, and it would help to be able to separtate the two.
See, I'm sorry but I truly don't understand this. Marijuana is a DRUG no matter what your particular beliefs on it are.. so why should there be another choice for it.. ?

You have chosen "no" under whether or not you do drugs, but that is a LIE. It doesn't matter if you are just a "midnight toker".. you still partake of a DRUG so be honest about it. Sheesh.
 jus dave
Msg: 1115
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:16:01 PM
wow- i do NOT want to be a poster child for pot smokers but the "it's illegal" stance (while correct) seems lame...it is also illegal to drink and drive...how many have done that?

two wrongs don't ever make a right but the high horse people who go bar hopping then say pot is wrong/bad/illegal seem kinda shallow.

damn- i wish i could make this funny...but i can't.

dave

and: everyone who smokes some pot now and then are no more a "pot-head" then those who have an occasional adult beverage being an "alcoholic".
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 1116
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:20:10 PM

Do Prozac and Xanax users state anything?
Actually.. that is a really good point!

I just hate it when potheads lie about it because they use the "its not really a drug in MY mind" clause (amongst others)

If you don't want to date someone who smokes pot, or ANY drug, get that information before dating them.
Which doesn't guarantee honesty either.. unfortunately.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 1117
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:22:26 PM
No, I am uninterested in having illegal drugs or addicts of anything (whether drugs, nicotine, alcohol or aspirin) in my life in any way. I control my own behaviour and behave in a responsible fashion and expect my partner to do the same. Even if that person promised never to abuse substances in my presence, how can I form a relationship with someone where there is a such a fundamental difference and division in the activities we can participate in together.

Nutt
 bigshrek
Msg: 1118
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:31:30 PM
Treat 'em the same as ANY smoker of ANY thing...ostracized for burning anything in a cylindrical paper tube.

Quit screwing up our OZONE LAYER!!

Even Al Gore is against any form of smoking, be it tobacco or marijuana.

BE GREEN, DON'T SMOKE GREEN!!
 bigshrek
Msg: 1119
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:47:38 PM
Brooklyn...Brooklyn's Reply to Harleycat

"No...what is REALLY sad are people who cannot accept that others just do not care to be around pot."

uhhhh........WHAT??!!

Try making sense and sticking to the topic if your going to quote someone and then reply to it.

Ok, since you are blonde I'll break it down for you. She's saying that those who do smoke pot can't accept that NORMAL PEOPLE don't want to be around an illegal substance. It just goes to show that those who use pot have less cognitave ability

And don't forget all those lovely folks that are actually ALLERGIC to Marijuana. If you've ever seen someone break out in hives after walking thru a cloud of pot smoke in high school...it's not a nice sight. Definitely rare, but horrible. There were two people I went to school with who were allergic...one got hives, the other would just get a scent of it and have massive migranes. It's not the totally harmless weed at all...not after you've actually seen people dealing with the effects.

And one other little thing...stoned drivers are JUST AS DANGEROUS AS DRUNK DRIVERS! I was a firefighter for over 21 years...I've seen my fair share of stoner drivers. Pot alone reduces your depth perception and reasoning abilities which DOES inhibit driving. Harold & Kumar should just STAY THE FAWK HOME if doing ANY drug, whether pot or alcohol.

Yeah, I prefer that they eat brownies...as long as they STAY HOME! Have a shot of Jack Daniels while their at it!

Brooklyn...Brooklyn
Msg: 1120
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:36:43 PM
Rather be blonde then BALD
dude shut the F up
looser
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 1121
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:43:54 PM
ForumSaurusRex:
OK well, I guess the idea of whether the QUESTION should be asked on a profile is a little off topic for this thread, but I've still got a problem with it (must be my cognitive ability). Why is THAT question important and not other questions? For me, I'd kinda like to know if the person I'm getting ready to date has STD's, AIDS, a colostomy bag, two heads (thank GOD we're strict about profile pictures here ) - maybe we should have a ch.ch.ch.checkbox for stutters. I'm sure the ladies might want to see an erectile dysfunction checkbox for the guys... (why wait to find out, right?). Why save anything for the conversation for that matter?
Your posts are cracking me up! Lol.. and I have to admit you have made some well articulated points while doing it..

Enjoy Refer Madness
 Brooklyn...Brooklyn
Msg: 1122
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:13:37 PM
oh bigshrek your SOOOOO funny
(rolls eyes)
dude grow some hair befor you cut down mine.
Since your blonde ill break it down for you?
Pffft.......Please.
 mz taken
Msg: 1123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:40:57 AM
while everyone is busy yakking here, would you please pass the bong!!!!
 oldsoul
Msg: 1124
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:52:26 AM
^ *Passing the bong to mz taken*

Since I have no desire to be "handled" by anyone, herb smoker or not, the answer for me is no.

Nor am I interested in "handling" a non-smoker, herb or not.

To each their own eh?

*patiently waiting for mz taken to pass the dang bong this way again*

JMO

lyfenlyn
Msg: 1125
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:35:27 AM
When I was much younger most everyone smoked weed. But you grow out of that. Now that I am out of my 30's being around it is silly and a waste of time. I dated many men over the years who smoked it regularly and they weren't going anywhere and were stuck in dead end jobs, but swore they were the most clever guys in the universe. It's tragic and sad to see. I don't have the patience for the mentality or the whole culture of pot smokers. Slackers are not a part of what I want around me.

To me a grown man over 30 still smoking pot, even ocasionally to me is officially a loser.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?