Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mynitedream
Msg: 33
punk and oi! bands old and newPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The best punk band ever has to be Iggy and the Stooges. Raw power at it's best. As for musical talent it has to be the Stranglers. Anyone know where I can get Rattus Norwegicus on CD? Punk did die in 1979. Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy says it best in his song from Solo in Soho, 1979.
 mynitedream
Msg: 37
punk and oi! bands old and new
Posted: 11/23/2005 12:56:39 PM
I haven't been able to find it or order Rattus. I was told it was out of print. I take you guys are in the UK, where it can still be found. I have their stuff on vinyl. Even a grey vinyl copy of Black and White. They never tour/toured near me.
 lalby
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/13/2007 8:04:25 AM
love squeeze,the clash and the jam, the sex pistols,small faces
 Dead Earnest
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2007 5:55:27 AM
Anti Nowhere League are on tour in a couple of months - I'm THERE!
UK Subs were/still are excellent, hard workers and thoroughly nice chaps too.
X-Ray Spex, GBH, Vice Squad (oh how I used to worship Beki Bondage)
 oggers
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 1:46:53 PM
I was 16 when the Pistols shook up the world , and my parents were more than a bit worried when I started coming home with bands such as
Iggy Pop
Clash
Stranglers
Blondie
Generation X
Buzzcocks
Siouxie and The Banshees
Screaming Blue Messiahs
Elvis Costello,
Ian Dury
Wreckless Eric

then drifted into
Echo and the Bunnymen
Magazine ...

Brilliant music :) Thank God for John Peel
 oggers
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 2:31:35 PM
Forgot about The Cramps, Disco , but never had any of their stuff
Saw Elvis Costello , Ian Dury and co on the Stiffs tour of ( I think ) 78 , it was a brilliant anarchic night .. Kings Hall , Aberystwyth . I'm afraid it was Debbie Harry that got me to sleep at nights ..

Oooh , and Hazel O Connor , "Will You?" .. the best sax solo ever at the end ....
 russ-d
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:37:20 PM
Punk music was great. There were few bands that got labled with the punk title but whether they played punk is a matter for debate. Bands like blondie and The clash got given a punk title, they were good but a bit sort of commercial to call it punk. There sort of is a difference between punk and Oi music to. The skinheads used to listend to Oi music and the punks used to listen to punk the two did cross over with some of the bands. I used to listen to both types, some of the bands I remember the most, were Peter And The Test Tube Babies, The Exploited, Crass and of couse The Sex Pistols. Could you imagine realeasing a track called 'Wanna Rob Bank' (Peter And The Test Tube Babies) now days!
 Talk4England
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:11:04 AM

The clash got given a punk title, they were good but a bit sort of commercial to call it punk

Just soooo wrong. The Clash 76-80 were so punk - don't think you realise the influence they had on the movement. How many times did they support the Pistols in those early days 76/77 - can't remember but they always seemed to be on the bill together.
And commercial - ha! You jest.
 Les.
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:17:41 AM
I was a massive punk fan and still am. I've just managed to get a copy of The Subhumans LP, From The Cradle To The Grave on CD after years of looking. The title track is nearly 17 minutes long and is possibly one of the best punk songs ever written. Im also still a big fan of Stiff Little Fingers and The UK Subs, both of whom I have seen live recently and I have a number of punk compilation CDs I listen too regularly. I also love The Ruts (Malcolm Owen RIP) and The Skids (Stuart Adamson RIP), I also recently bought The Best Of Spizz Energi on CD, best known for their seminal single Wheres Captain Kirk but theres many more cracking tunes on there.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >