Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cw35
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 22 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Dr. Phil is a dispicable snake oil salesman that preys on the insecurities of the weak minded.
His show is nothing more than a mask to sell books and diet plans (which he obviously doesn't follow). There should be jail time for a lot of these talk show idiots. Too bad money talks instead of justice.
 cw35
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/23/2006 1:30:07 PM
I was talking to someone for awhile on yahoo that I thought was for real. She got a couple of pics (which she could have gotten from here anyway), and my phone number then I never heard from her again. It was obviously a scam but I'm not sure to what end. She could possibly get my address from my number (it's a private unlisted number) but that's not hard to find out about anyone. I'm just puzzled as to what could be done with a pic and my address unless it could be used to make another fake profile. Doesn't seem smart to me.
 designingwoman
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2006 5:43:43 AM
Cartographer,

I went through the same thing with speed dating. I was hoodwinked, and had the same crazy thing. All that time spent, with not one match during the course of several attempts at speed dating. Never again. Those events are just not worth the time or the money wasted. It's another scam to take advantage of single people and their desire to find love.

Cheers,

DW
 designingwoman
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2007 11:17:55 AM
Oh, Michael, nice way to try to lower someone's self esteem today!! That was mean and uncalled for.

Speed dating is another scam targeted against single people who would like to meet someone special. These scammers tell everyone there's been no match, and just take people's money.

Buyer Beware!!

DW
 flygirl34990
Msg: 194
Posted: 1/12/2007 1:11:53 AM
Thanks y'all! Despite the fact I'm really glad I read this forum, now I feel really stupid!

Anyway, I thought it was my imagination, but you're right, as soon as I quit match.com, all of a sudden I received LOTS, & LOTS, & LOTS of winks, and emails, etc., etc., etc.

So, now at least I don't have to take all of this so personally!

Linda
 Hanahanian
Msg: 195
Posted: 1/13/2007 4:06:38 PM
I also remember actually meeting people on Yahoo Personals back when it was free. I met some good folks on there.

Another set of services one should be wary of are the FriendFinder sites. There are some real folks there, but I suspect that many of the ads are dummies. Likewise, in their chat areas there appears to be a lot of traffic but almost no one responds to anything you write. They also have a thing of listing an ad placed on one site on one of the other sites. I placed an ad on FriendFinder and started getting cupid matches from 2 other sites in their group. Likewise a Mexican-American friend found her FriendFinder profile reposted on the Hispanic version of the site.
 cw35
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2007 11:24:12 AM
Yahoo and match are full of false emails and profiles. Any other company would be shut down or brought up on charges. I'm wondering who they must know to stay in business. Lavalife seems to have been the only pay site I've dealt with that seems to be somewhat honest (although not always).
 Oceandawn1965
Msg: 198
Posted: 7/3/2007 10:19:51 AM
This is happening to me right now with True.com. I get the stupid winks all the time since I closed my account. These folks are obnoxious. I'm not even remotely tempted to ever reactivate my account, especially since the selection was marginal at best.

Personally, I think the whole wink idea is dumb. If you don't have the intelligence to spark my interest with something witty or catchy an impersonal and wimpy wink is not going to work.
 Sunday88
Msg: 200
Posted: 9/13/2007 11:06:28 PM
i contacted the settlement adminstartor as i do not have proof for the period i was charged and in my case i protested with the bank and got my charge back and i
also asked if i can still participate, the lady said yes and the amount you will get back will be up to $ 35.00. depending on how long you were a member during the period in question and also they have to change some of their policies, i was thinking of opting-out and suing them in grand rapids,mi district and/or us district court but i would have to get the period that i was charged ( as it was only one month for me. ) and see what laws applies.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 202
Match.com law suits
Posted: 10/30/2007 9:22:19 PM
Yet another attorney and class action web site has popped up: http://audetlaw.com/match_com/
 Ticketoride
Msg: 203
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:45:43 PM
Now, do they put up fake profile to get you in, sure... but, its called advertising.

Current legal Actions more correctly refer to that as "Fraud".
Check'em out.

False advertisements are every where in life, so why would this be any different?

Deception ... accept it, live with it, right?

Match, ... I am 28, if I email 28 year olds I am 0/800, lol.

So why are you peddling Pay Sites?

I like the pay sites personally, it limits who can email others, and can stop the creepy guys from emailing every girl on the site, and stopping her from getting to the serious emails.

Why do you need to pay for that?

Lets face it, the days of going to the bars to meet people is reaching an end.

If anything, they've come back Big-time over the last year or so, many tired of Dating Sites.
This Post looks like PR work to me ... you are not gonna start spamming here are you?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 204
Posted: 11/21/2007 3:02:30 AM
why is it when someone does not have something bad to say about the current trendy thing to hate, you are some how affiliated with them in a capacity other then a consumer?

Well, you seem to think "Fraudulent" Advertising is perfectly acceptable.

Sending out bogus fabricated Winks, to deceive a User into believing someone is actually interested in him for the Purpose of looting his Pocketbook is "Fraud".

Further, Pay Sites aren't the current Trendy Thing, they are on their Way down. Free Dating Sites have no need for such Scams.

Not sure how you have worked this "Hate" Thing in there.

I don't know what bars you hang out at dude, but the quality and quantity of what is out there, male or female has declined.

No need to hang out anywhere. You can see the huge Line-ups and the Entry Fees climbing, lucky if you can even get in.

Quality of Males/Females declined? Even if that were true, what do Pay or Free Dating Sites, or Bars for that Matter have to do with the Decline of Quantity/Quality of Males/Females?

Bogus Winks certainly have little to do with it.

If you read the quote of mine you put up, then reread your question, if the answer is still not there in front of you, read it again, and again.

Some Answer through the Clouds?
Fraud is Fraud. What else is there to say about it?

The whole flooding thing... too many emails... girls give up... get back to me on it.

What does that have to do with Pay or Free Sites?
Are you saying the Mail Setting Restrictions on this Free Site don't work?

deception... yes live with it. It is every where, and when you learn to accept it, and educate yourself on it, then you won't get hurt or burned by it.

In other Words, knowing full well you are being Scammed by being sent Bogus Winks by Pay Sites you should make nothing of it and hand your Money over again, and just accept being frauded over as a Reality of Life?
 heathepw
Msg: 205
Posted: 12/12/2007 11:02:23 AM
True.com is the biggest bogus dating site I know. Besides not being able to do anything as a free member, I get 15-20 fake flirts per day. How do I know they are fake? Why would a beautiful 18-20 year old girl flirt with a guy in his 40's for one thing. Another thing, I deleted my profile and kept getting these kinds of flirts. I went back in and hid my profile (still there by the way) and checked and it was not showing. I still got 5 more flirts after that. Now I went in and set my preferences to block anyone under or over 18, all religions, all ethnicities, and all children preferences (No, Yes living with me etc.). If I get another flirt I'm contacting True directly and getting them to remove my e-mail from their list. I'll let ya'll know how it goes now.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 206
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:10:44 AM
I had closed my account, deleated my profile so how did this happen?

Re-instituting Closed or deleted Accounts makes their existing Clientele via Searches believe they have have Lots of Ladies available for Dating. This Type of Fraud is quite commonplace, as removed 'Deleted Profiles' do not haul in Sign-ups.

The Admin has stated that if Pay Sites gave you what you wanted, they'd go Bankrupt.
The Term "Pay-Site" has for all Intents & Purposes almost become synonymous with Scam.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 1:46:19 AM
got some accounts on pay sites, seems they can never be deleted, just made inactive. This makes the total number appear bigger.

get lots of spam for some of these sites on social networking sites and on a old email that I still use, had plenty of someone has a crush on u, have to pay for the ability to read emails and then find they live 200 miles away and they smoke, do drugs, etc

not active on any pay sites because of that :)
 runjohn52
Msg: 208
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:27:40 AM
This just happened to me (11/20/08) so I figure I should say something so others can be aware of them-

I received an email (the email I signed up to POF with but since changed but my username is from that email addy) from someone who said they just moved to my area and were looking to get in touch with me. When I tried to reply it sent me an automated reply telling me to email the person through - freindship2make.com - she was pretty so I joined for free but then found out I would have to be a paid member in order to email someone - NOT!

This person said in her email she got my email from my "add on plentyoffish".

So maybe this site should be on a watch out for list
 runjohn52
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:31:31 AM
that is freindships2make - with an "s"
 BeachBumCC
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:30:47 AM
Same thing......I was a member of Match and was thinking about joining Yahoo, until I saw this thread....while I was with Match I would get a few emails here and there.....a few winks (mostly bogus ones)....after my three month was up and cancelled then all of a sudden I was getting emails (which were going to my work email) with winks.....amazingly during the time I was with Match I never got so much mail nor winks....I have come to the conclusion that Match (and probably Yahoo are fake)....I'm not saying that everyone on these suites are fake, because I was on there...but I think it's a money making machine....I'm glad that I found this thread because I had actually made a profile last night for Yahoo and was giving it a lookover.....it's really a shame that nice people (both men and women) can't seem to find their match as often as you would think they should on a pay site.....but then again....if we all were these sites would be out of bussiness....I hope I didn't ramble on to much here...
 music_fan
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:41:45 PM
Cool,

But they also need to go after True.com also. True is supposedly the #1 paid dating site online and they also send out fake winks also, so True should be sued also.

I despise True.com with a vengeance. I haven't been a member of their site in years but they make me sick espically Herb Vest (owner of True.com).

His site only became #1 because he uses ads that have women in very little clothing.
 husker72240
Msg: 212
Posted: 7/25/2009 11:29:08 AM
I have nothing bad to say about Yahoo personals except that I never got any results, and most of those were from females in foreign countries.
My complaint is with a web site called Heart Detectives, now this site is one BIG scam. And so noted by many, many, testimonials which make Yahoo look OK. Heart Detectives also has a TV show called Cheaters. Suck you into finding out your mate is cheating and then onto Heart Detectives to find your true love, soul mate, bride etc.
Please don't even try this one. I have filled with the FBI as it is a Federal Crime to us the internet to scam monies etc.
Best bet if you see a nice looking friendly male or female in the super market, Target, Nordstrom's etc. go for, but do it in a nice friendly way.

IT WORKS.
 allforit
Msg: 213
Posted: 12/7/2010 5:12:08 AM
I find this very interesting.

I joined the free trial for Match.com and in 3 days had 2 ''matches' contact me who both turned out to be fraud.

I didn't join at the time, but did join a short while later, when a 'potential match' sounded very appealing and lived in my area.
He too turned out to be a fraud.

I have had 4 fraudulent matches in a very very short time. I sent my complaints and the profiles are still up.

I would never recommend this site to anyone.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >