Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 reglrguy
Msg: 526
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 22 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
I have been on literally dozens of these website over the last few years. At first I took it seriously, then it became a hobby. Now I know that they are in it just for the money. 97% of your messages go to never never land message heaven.To be more blunt the recyling bin. They are taking advantage of people in a capital way. This is the bestsite I go on. the whole point is people have to take this all in stride. you can be serious but don't give out any important information and have fun that's what it is all about.
 Knuts
Msg: 527
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:10 PM
I haven't used match but have heard bad things also. I used the free yahoo service for a while and then decided to pay for one month to see if it made a difference. After decding it didn't I canceled and got a message from someone about seaoflove.com I read this women's profile and we had nothing in common and went to sea of love and just browsed and could tell right away it was fake. How terrible is that playing on people's emotions. Good luck with the suit.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 528
Posted: 3/27/2006 11:39:51 AM
I keep getting winks from these bogus profiles on match or matchdoctor (not sure) which and it really annoys me. I look at the profiles and I can clearly discern that they were written by an employee from the company and if I were to sign up and pay that person would never respond.

These sites that con people into paying money to join with suggestive emails from fake profiles should be shut down. Period.
 Jemue
Msg: 529
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:26:08 PM
I've had a few from lavalife, though I find them fairly easy to spot.
 nuthafish
Msg: 530
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:33:40 PM
ALL pay dating sites SUCK

They're into it for their own profit and no-one else's for sure

Have tried many of them and all the same crud everytime

Thanks POF for a wonderful site

it took me THREE months to stop my subscription to Yahoo personals - they make it so deviously difficult to cancel.
 boysterus
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:57:35 PM
Is Lavalife a scam or what? I got contacted by a girl. She asked for my email address and all of a sudden, I start getting spam from other personal/relationship web sites!!! Obviously spammers work these sites too!

And what is with girls who do not have any pictures posted, contacting you and asking to see your backstage pass, when you have a clear photo of yourself posted?

If I sent a backstage pass to every girl without a picture posted, I would be spending mucho dollars. My theory? Those smiles from girls without pictures posted, asking for back stage passes, are really Lavalife employees trying to burn through your credits.

Anyone else get this same feeling?
 HottieScotty
Msg: 532
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:23:54 PM
I'm keeping my nose out of that suit.

BUT...........
Yes....THANKS P.O.F....
Great site....and all the fun stuff on the forums.
Use of smiles to give emotion with notes & forums
Great job.
 ~Rick
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:35:42 PM
I was on one site for free. I received about 40 emails over the course of several weeks so I gave in and subscribed -- thinking I may be missing someone special.
When I read the mails, Only one had come from a real person. The rest all said something like "this user may be interested in you". BS!

Also, since the sites like to brag about how many members they have subscribed, I decided to do some math. Gee, 1.5 million member? At $24.95 each per month? That's, err, $37,425,000 a MONTH! Dang! I wish I could make that much money!

I put this in my profile -- and it was shut down for 3 months. Go figure!

So, I

and came here to

Thanks, PoF!
 Chrysostom
Msg: 534
Great Expectations - biggest fraud yet
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:50 PM
I don't have the time to wade through 22 pages of pay-service bashing, but I do want to drop by 2 cents in to let you all know that Great Expectations, which sells itself as a high quality match making service for professionals is at least as dishonest and deceptive if not worse than any thus far mentioned.

If you are thinking about using the service or know anyone who is, I highly suggest visiting

http://www.voicenet.com/~ktappe/

Great Expectations has also been successfully sued by The State New York and Kansas. Luckily, I was able to recover 92% of the money they bilked from me. What others have been stuck for is outrageous: in the thousands of dollars.

From what I've read, it's a basic fact that personals sites don't work for most people, but at least POF is free and fun, so no harm done. :smile:
 designingwoman
Msg: 535
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:31:20 PM
I will never use a pay site again. I tried several and thought they stank. The worst was Eharmony. I was appalled at the poor quality of the matches. Some of them were extremely incompatible for me.

POF is already successful for me in that I've made new friends, and I enjoy the forums. That's a good start, and I am grateful to POF for that Who knows, I could well meet Mr. Right here. I think my chances are better on POF than any of those crazy scam paid sites.

Cheers for POF!!!!
DW
 dante_xvx
Msg: 536
Posted: 4/6/2006 2:20:06 AM
"GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL WHO ARE TAKING INTERNET SITES TO COURT......"

THAT HAD ME LAUGHING MY ASS OFF... what a funny person!!! lol
 breakthrough
Msg: 537
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:52:16 PM
tonya i agrree with you i joined yahoo and match .com and all i got has been the run round they say they promise you that you will meet some one that a lie so i am wondering if you need some one elase to stand beside you in your case with yahoo and match ,com i would join you please contact me at this websight hope to hear from you
 lkn4u2006
Msg: 538
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:28 PM
This all sounds like a feature for something like 60 Minutes or 20/20.... Thanks to POF for being the true leader of the pack.
 wantyoungerwoman
Msg: 539
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:38:32 PM
Same scenario on:

www.i-how.org International House of Women supposedly 10998 added this week; THAT has unchanged for months! Also, SAME photos in many different states for various women, "canned" response NO MATTER what you ask any profile woman, you get an irrelevant answer that sounds arbitrary and from a computer. Many profile have ONE line.
Most women's profiles have been on the site for years and never changes....one woman has a 4 month old and is married but she has had the same 4 month old child over a year now...a rip OFF.
 unknown biker
Msg: 540
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2006 3:24:51 PM
yep..me too...i would join yahoo maybe every 4-5 months..i had so many people to contact that i didn't need to be a member for the whole period..I would just get names and emails and move on for awhile..well..everytime my subscription was over I would get at least 4 promising candidates sending me flirts..I understand business but that's fraud!!! We could all make more money if we were liars..but..fry em!!!
 Rocking LV
Msg: 541
Posted: 4/18/2006 4:33:33 PM
eharmony was the worse for me, apparently I am the perfect match for fat mexican chicks with 10 children. Because that is all they ever matched with me. I guess they figured out that I think Latin women are hot, but thats it!
 Trooth
Msg: 542
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2006 11:47:22 PM
Every single one of these sites should be heavily penalized. The tactics described are nothing short of cons but the con artists have a nice little terms of use banner they think will make these tactics legal. If they are sending winks, flirts, and emails saying people are interested in you who are neither interested in you nor real members they are conning you into paying for membership. This definitely should be on 20/20, and to think I was preparing to try out a paying membership to a couple of them.
 designingwoman
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2006 10:42:57 PM
True has been sending me many winks all of sudden in the past few weeks. I am wondering if these guys are even real. I have written back to them or sent the free conversations but haven't gotten any replies. I have also been getting some winks from guys who are divorced with kids, even though I blocked that category from even viewing my profile!! I think they are faker majakers.
 veryspecialladie
Msg: 544
Posted: 4/23/2006 4:30:40 PM
Thanks a lot I have tried and tried to unsubscribe from true and hadn't figured it out and now you say I have to use the darned phone to unsubscribe. It did not take long to see their bogus winks and the fact I couldn't get off the site and I could just totally disassociate with them. There should be a law against them fraudulently using people forever from a temporary sign up. I did figure out I could remove all pictures so they could not use those for a drawing tactic. Maybe they should have the fraud suit against them!!!!!!!!
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 545
Posted: 4/23/2006 10:36:38 PM
All else fails block them from finnancial transactions with your bank and change your account number.
 Forum Guru
Msg: 546
Posted: 4/25/2006 1:01:42 PM
Match.com not letting you send you personal e-mail is a major rip-off!! They know that many people are not comfortable giving out there home phone early. This means you are forced to remain a paying member so you can communicate with someone. Another money making tactic!!
 RBM
Msg: 547
Posted: 4/26/2006 2:23:09 PM
I'm not surprised. I started the online dating thing in July of last year and there are still ads on Yahoo that were there when I started. And on other sites, I got the "bot" responses as well, just to get me to pay, or to keep me from leaving as my subscription expired.
 lagunillero
Msg: 548
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2006 8:30:18 PM
Uh, Yahoo still allows you to read a paying member's email for free. So at least you know WHO sent it and WHAT they said. And they can send you alternate contact information if they have a couple brain cells rolling around in their head! Match, probably to allow them to generate fraudulent messages, does not allow you to even know WHO sent the message, much less WHAT they said! Kind of dumb; devalues the paying members' membership. It limits who THEY can contact.
 lagunillero
Msg: 549
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2006 8:33:39 PM
True wouldn't let me off either! I finally changed my age to 100 and my interest level to 21-24. The winks finally stopped!
 designingwoman
Msg: 550
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2006 8:40:53 PM
I reported the winks to yahoo as spam, and haven't gotten any since.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud