Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PixelJockey
Msg: 526
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 22 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)

Just wanted to vent against Match. I got a notification that I had an email on there so I went to look at it. Guess what? I have to subscribe to read it! After hearing all these horror stories there is no way I am going to. I can understand paying to send an email but to read one? Come on! Match, I hope you go bankrupt!

I did notice an email today (my old sub at Match.com is nearly up- should expire at the end of this month) that was titled "CRAZYSEXYCOOL63 and babyduke68 Viewed Your Profile!" Funny thing is, I'd never seen one of those mails before (I subscribed to it back in late August).

I haven't really been active on the site since November or so, so it'll be interesting to see what pops up in the next few weeks...

I will say this though; POF has been far and away superior to anything Match.com could ever hope to be, and it didn't cost me the $80 spent at the other site to find that out.
 justapup
Msg: 527
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 2/27/2006 10:32:32 AM
agree with you all about those paid sites being not what they are advertising,
as for totally free sites so far i have only found one besides here where you could contact members and reply to members with no charge
 jellybean21maxis
Msg: 528
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:32:38 PM
I also had a lot of problems with True.com.I am a laryengectomy and have problems on the phone.They would not let me cancel on line They said I had to call.I got a hold of my credit card company and they helped me get some of my money back.They also added other companys that charged my credit card.Never again.While all this was going on I was getting all kinds of winks.
 jellybean21maxis
Msg: 529
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:40:29 PM
My sentiments exactlly
 AnonymousMe
Msg: 530
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:03 AM
I was "taken" by match.com once, I hope they get nailed to the wall.
 Shaps
Msg: 531
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:17:02 AM
Any word on what is happening ??? Like where are they now in this little battle. also are they going to check out other sites ???
 purfus
Msg: 532
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:57:05 PM
I think this is a great thing. I would like to see a lot more laws surounding the online dating industry. I see it as unregulated and able to easily take advantage of people's emotions. I know I've had plenty of experiences with online dating sites that, while I had no proof, seamed to me to be fraudulant in manor and nothing more than attempts to bring me into their subscription services. The money doesn't bother me as much as the waste of time and abuse of my emotions. I hope these cases tear these unethical companies a new ass hole. I wonder if there is anything we can do to help get some consumer protections up for people like us against these types of scams.
 Robzilla06
Msg: 533
Posted: 3/13/2006 4:32:33 PM
Yeah, I've tried True, Yahoo Personals (just cancelled) and some others. True is the worst. I got all these winks, but couldn't respond to them. I took the free trial, only to find out that all the wink came from women who where "Good Will Ambasaddors" and just making ppl feel welcome, what a load of bs. I wish I could find soem True employees. Close range with a guage is the best way to deal with these crooks.

To be honest, I've never used match.com, but I've subscribed to Yahoo. I did meet a decent chick on there, and we chat from time to time, but for the most part, decent women and replies have been few and far between. The few decent replies I got did not make the money I spent seem worthwhile. I agree with Purfus, the money doesn't bother me, because money can be replace, but wasted time, and getting your hopes up, only to have them dashed, can't. I also understand that as a consumer, you need to be more aware of the shadiness and scams and whatnot, but at the same time, companies like this who knowingly engage in bad and unethical business practices can't be allowed to continue as they have.

But, until some kind of regulation arrives (not sure how it would work) let the consumer beware, do your research on a any dating site, pay or otherwise before you commit your time and money, and be wary. I'm so clad I found POF. The first time I wrote a letter to a girl, the next day, she actually wrote me back, and said she wanted to talk more. That's a hell of a lot better than I got at Yahoo.
 sadangeleyes3
Msg: 534
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:55:59 PM
Yes I have 11dave11 and I think they (True.com) needs to be added to the class action suit.
 photog167
Msg: 535
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:26:16 AM
hi pixel jockey...about that match thing. sure absolutely. unfortunatly is doese say in the
the various memberships section that you DO have to be a PAID member to read mail. not that im defending match by ANY means. as I certainly share your frustration, BIG time.
athough, that said, certainly they feel that if a person is curious to know who sent them mail, at somepoint they will say...ah the hell with it, hears your lousy 15 bucks, perhaps i can get a date out of it, only to find out its from somebudy 3 states away just saying hi...grrrr!

reglrguy
Msg: 536
Posted: 3/21/2006 9:13:33 AM
I have been on literally dozens of these website over the last few years. At first I took it seriously, then it became a hobby. Now I know that they are in it just for the money. 97% of your messages go to never never land message heaven.To be more blunt the recyling bin. They are taking advantage of people in a capital way. This is the bestsite I go on. the whole point is people have to take this all in stride. you can be serious but don't give out any important information and have fun that's what it is all about.
 Knuts
Msg: 537
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:10 PM
I haven't used match but have heard bad things also. I used the free yahoo service for a while and then decided to pay for one month to see if it made a difference. After decding it didn't I canceled and got a message from someone about seaoflove.com I read this women's profile and we had nothing in common and went to sea of love and just browsed and could tell right away it was fake. How terrible is that playing on people's emotions. Good luck with the suit.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 538
Posted: 3/27/2006 11:39:51 AM
I keep getting winks from these bogus profiles on match or matchdoctor (not sure) which and it really annoys me. I look at the profiles and I can clearly discern that they were written by an employee from the company and if I were to sign up and pay that person would never respond.

These sites that con people into paying money to join with suggestive emails from fake profiles should be shut down. Period.
 simoninexeter
Msg: 539
Posted: 3/29/2006 3:26:06 AM
See below - just sent this e-mail to match.com. Won't have any effect, of course, but I find it staggering that they're still doing this.

"Call me cynical, but since cancelling my subscription I have been e-mailed 4 times in the last 5 days, which is a significant increase in the number of e-mails I received whilst I was a member. At the current rate, I will have received about 24 e-mails in a month. When I was a member for one month, I'm guessing that 2 members at most e-mailed me. So we're looking at a potential 12-fold increase. Furthermore, within a few days of cancelling my subscription the number of people viewing my profile increased at a staggering rate. I lost count, but it was a huge increase. It seems that as soon as I cancelled, women were being crushed in the rush to look at my profile.

I find my sudden increase in popularity somewhat perplexing, especially as I have not changed anything in my profile. I also find it strange that the increase in e-mails has not had the same effect on the number of winks I have received in the last 5 days (no winks, but 4 e-mails?!). The fact that I could see the profile of someone who has winked at me, but would have to pay to see who has e-mailed me adds to my doubts as to the authenticity of the e-mails I have received. I did follow a link to opt for a free 3-day trial membership, but evidently I am not eligible for this. Surprise, surprise.

If you were to look at some forums out there in cyberspace you will find that match.com is coming in for severe criticism on the subject of bogus e-mails to members who have recently cancelled a subscription. I will certainly be adding my comments to these forums over the course of the next few days.

I will still be checking into the site from time to time, but have no intention of renewing my subscription"
 Jemue
Msg: 540
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:26:08 PM
I've had a few from lavalife, though I find them fairly easy to spot.
 nuthafish
Msg: 541
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:33:40 PM
ALL pay dating sites SUCK

They're into it for their own profit and no-one else's for sure

Have tried many of them and all the same crud everytime

Thanks POF for a wonderful site

it took me THREE months to stop my subscription to Yahoo personals - they make it so deviously difficult to cancel.
 boysterus
Msg: 542
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:57:35 PM
Is Lavalife a scam or what? I got contacted by a girl. She asked for my email address and all of a sudden, I start getting spam from other personal/relationship web sites!!! Obviously spammers work these sites too!

And what is with girls who do not have any pictures posted, contacting you and asking to see your backstage pass, when you have a clear photo of yourself posted?

If I sent a backstage pass to every girl without a picture posted, I would be spending mucho dollars. My theory? Those smiles from girls without pictures posted, asking for back stage passes, are really Lavalife employees trying to burn through your credits.

Anyone else get this same feeling?
 HottieScotty
Msg: 543
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:23:54 PM
I'm keeping my nose out of that suit.

BUT...........
Yes....THANKS P.O.F....
Great site....and all the fun stuff on the forums.
Use of smiles to give emotion with notes & forums
Great job.
 ~Rick
Msg: 544
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:35:42 PM
I was on one site for free. I received about 40 emails over the course of several weeks so I gave in and subscribed -- thinking I may be missing someone special.
When I read the mails, Only one had come from a real person. The rest all said something like "this user may be interested in you". BS!

Also, since the sites like to brag about how many members they have subscribed, I decided to do some math. Gee, 1.5 million member? At $24.95 each per month? That's, err, $37,425,000 a MONTH! Dang! I wish I could make that much money!

I put this in my profile -- and it was shut down for 3 months. Go figure!

So, I

and came here to

Thanks, PoF!
 Chrysostom
Msg: 545
Great Expectations - biggest fraud yet
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:50 PM
I don't have the time to wade through 22 pages of pay-service bashing, but I do want to drop by 2 cents in to let you all know that Great Expectations, which sells itself as a high quality match making service for professionals is at least as dishonest and deceptive if not worse than any thus far mentioned.

If you are thinking about using the service or know anyone who is, I highly suggest visiting

http://www.voicenet.com/~ktappe/

Great Expectations has also been successfully sued by The State New York and Kansas. Luckily, I was able to recover 92% of the money they bilked from me. What others have been stuck for is outrageous: in the thousands of dollars.

From what I've read, it's a basic fact that personals sites don't work for most people, but at least POF is free and fun, so no harm done. :smile:
 designingwoman
Msg: 546
view profile
History
Great Expectations - biggest fraud yet
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:31:20 PM
I will never use a pay site again. I tried several and thought they stank. The worst was Eharmony. I was appalled at the poor quality of the matches. Some of them were extremely incompatible for me.

POF is already successful for me in that I've made new friends, and I enjoy the forums. That's a good start, and I am grateful to POF for that Who knows, I could well meet Mr. Right here. I think my chances are better on POF than any of those crazy scam paid sites.

Cheers for POF!!!!
DW
 dante_xvx
Msg: 547
Posted: 4/6/2006 2:20:06 AM
"GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL WHO ARE TAKING INTERNET SITES TO COURT......"

THAT HAD ME LAUGHING MY ASS OFF... what a funny person!!! lol
 breakthrough
Msg: 548
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:52:16 PM
tonya i agrree with you i joined yahoo and match .com and all i got has been the run round they say they promise you that you will meet some one that a lie so i am wondering if you need some one elase to stand beside you in your case with yahoo and match ,com i would join you please contact me at this websight hope to hear from you
 lkn4u2006
Msg: 549
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:28 PM
This all sounds like a feature for something like 60 Minutes or 20/20.... Thanks to POF for being the true leader of the pack.
 wantyoungerwoman
Msg: 550
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:38:32 PM
Same scenario on:

www.i-how.org International House of Women supposedly 10998 added this week; THAT has unchanged for months! Also, SAME photos in many different states for various women, "canned" response NO MATTER what you ask any profile woman, you get an irrelevant answer that sounds arbitrary and from a computer. Many profile have ONE line.
Most women's profiles have been on the site for years and never changes....one woman has a 4 month old and is married but she has had the same 4 month old child over a year now...a rip OFF.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud