Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 qu1nn
Msg: 513
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 26 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
If any one would like to take an opportunity to educate themselves on some common scams we deal with in our everyday lives, the ones I refered to in my previous posts then check out fraudguides.com, this site has loads of scams on it to be weary of. So if you think Match and True and any other paysite is bad, then I am guessing many of you will never donate to a charity again after reading the scams involved. But again, it is all about education. Knowledge IS power!
 newyearnewyou
Msg: 514
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 12/7/2007 9:28:11 PM
Well, admin

After all Dr. Phil said it was OK to look
 heathepw
Msg: 515
Posted: 12/12/2007 11:02:23 AM
True.com is the biggest bogus dating site I know. Besides not being able to do anything as a free member, I get 15-20 fake flirts per day. How do I know they are fake? Why would a beautiful 18-20 year old girl flirt with a guy in his 40's for one thing. Another thing, I deleted my profile and kept getting these kinds of flirts. I went back in and hid my profile (still there by the way) and checked and it was not showing. I still got 5 more flirts after that. Now I went in and set my preferences to block anyone under or over 18, all religions, all ethnicities, and all children preferences (No, Yes living with me etc.). If I get another flirt I'm contacting True directly and getting them to remove my e-mail from their list. I'll let ya'll know how it goes now.
 Silver_Spurs
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:26:33 PM
I was on True.com several yrs back and met someone, we actually dated for a couple yrs but it ended. Anyways we both cancelled our subscriptions at about the same time.. Well he was charged for another 2 months after cancelling, and I was charged for 4 months before I could get them to stop. I had used paypal to pay my fee's tho. Where as he had used his credit card. Also One day I get a notice from them this was about 6 months ago that I had mail... Now why the hell would I have mail when I had canceled yrs ago? So I almost deleated it then out of curisity I went and checked for myself... Sure enough.. There I was.. My profile visable to the world, and I had 76 emails. Now how in the hell did this happen? I logged off, opened another browser , made a fake profile as a guy to do a search, searched woman near me within 50 miles of my zip and sure as chit there I was...
Man I was hot.. I contacted true and thretned to have my lawyer contact them if they did not remove my profile from there sight. I never heard a word about it back from them but my profile did disappear a few days later.
I had closed my account, deleated my profile so how did this happen? I have never ever used a paid for dating service since. I have a friend who has used Match, yahoo, and mega friends and they have all done the same thing to her even tho she crys about it month after month...
I say if you cancel anyplace go back and make sure its no longer there... I'm just glad the guy I met on True didn't see my profile still on there and think I had lied to him...
These places give dating sites a bad name.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 517
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:10:44 AM
I had closed my account, deleated my profile so how did this happen?

Re-instituting Closed or deleted Accounts makes their existing Clientele via Searches believe they have have Lots of Ladies available for Dating. This Type of Fraud is quite commonplace, as removed 'Deleted Profiles' do not haul in Sign-ups.

The Admin has stated that if Pay Sites gave you what you wanted, they'd go Bankrupt.
The Term "Pay-Site" has for all Intents & Purposes almost become synonymous with Scam.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 518
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 1:46:19 AM
got some accounts on pay sites, seems they can never be deleted, just made inactive. This makes the total number appear bigger.

get lots of spam for some of these sites on social networking sites and on a old email that I still use, had plenty of someone has a crush on u, have to pay for the ability to read emails and then find they live 200 miles away and they smoke, do drugs, etc

not active on any pay sites because of that :)
 Garf67
Msg: 519
Posted: 1/14/2008 8:24:10 AM
An Aussie 'adult' site was doing this too... guys with subs about to run out received many winks or msgs from bikini clad ladies, who of course never responded to mails at all. Wording in the msgs were the same or similar... only the pics varied slightly.
 chandlerarrington
Msg: 520
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 7:42:30 PM
I joined a certain unnamed site after getting many winks, but I haven't received any emails back after sending over 25, looks like I got taken in for $30. It's such a shame that people can get away with playing with other people's emotions.
 kawi-rider
Msg: 521
Posted: 1/22/2008 3:00:38 PM
I was poking around Yahoo! Personals today and noted that their six month membership subscription is now just under $14/month (their cheapest rate). I heard yesterday that Yahoo! was hurting for revenue and planning to lay off workers.

Word to the wise, don't subsidize the buggers.
 Drums4me
Msg: 522
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 4:08:00 PM
Thats What Has Happened To Me,I subscribed for a while but after no luck i stopped subscribing but kept my profile and i would occaisionally wink at someone or hope for a wink and figured if someone showed interest i would subscribe again for a month so i could e-mail and chat with them. i never got any winks but when i cancelled a few days later i get a wink so i check out the profile,she looks attractive,lives close by and has a nice profile so i pay again for a month and e-mail her but now i get a message that her profile no longer exisits so i complained and they said sorry for the "Marketing E-mail "and they would refund my money and they were sorry to see me go (although i had not yet asked to cancel) What A scam getting my hopes up for nothing but their greed for my money.
 Drums4me
Msg: 523
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:47:14 AM
Now That I Complained They Have Blocked Me,I cant wink at anyone or look at a profile without signing up.
 DixieBelle
Msg: 524
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 3:12:00 PM
There is something else that just occured to me. ...

I have never been on Yahoo Personals, but evey time I log off from this site, I get an invitation from Yahoo Personals to "check out my current matches".

I do have a yahoo email address. Do you think they have tagged my searches? I'm not sure I like that idea.

Anyone else have the same experience?
 cobaltred
Msg: 525
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:31:33 AM
Here is my experience with Date.com
If you become a Gold member with Date.com and you want to cancel your account...you cant. The Automated system will re-direct you request to a new page informing you " Failed to Delete Profile We are unable to delete your membership because you are still a paid member. In order to delete your membership, click here to contact customer support." This is a direct quote from Date.com's page.

Clicking on contact customer support link you are again re-directed to another page... Date.com Membership Department Avalanche, LLC 1521 Alton Road #626 Miami Beach, FL USA 33139 Please Note: Because of delays in the postal service, it can take 7-14 days until you are upgraded to Gold Membership status. To become a Gold Member immediately, we recommend you upgrade via credit card. Please Note: When sending membership payment by mail be sure to include (and please print clearly) your: * Username * Email address * Length of Membership

At this page you are given an option of either submitting a request to customer support or nothing. Once you have submitted a request an email will show up at the account you signed on with informing you that customer support will contact you in 24 hours. They are not open on the weekends! so the 24 hours contact by customer service is invalid.

Notice there is no phone numbers, I will address this further down this post

At the top right hand corner on the contact customer support, there is a very small link that says "To cancel your Gold Membership click here" Upon clicking this link you are re-directed to a page giving you all your sign-on information. Here you can cancel your account. But not deactivate it.

Phone numbers and other information found on the main page under http://www.bbbonline.org/cks.asp?id=105071913552 which is found on the bottom right corner. Clicking on this link you are re-directed to another page giving you this information. BBBOnLine Reliability Profile: Date.com Company/Organization Information: 1521 Alton Road #626 Miami beach, FL 33139 Phone: 305-938-4400 Fax: 305-535-0893 Email: Click here Description of Product & Services Offered: Internet Dating site for singles to find a match for a relationship Company Website(s) www.date.com Business Start Date: 1/1/2001 Bureau Join Date: 2/28/2005 Company Management: Meir Strahlberg (CEO) Customer Service Contact: Derek Cheung (Customer Service Team Lead) Phone: 877-224-3283 Email: Click here As a BBBOnLine Reliability Participant, this company is a member of the Better Business Bureau, and meets all BBB membership standards. It also complies with BBBonLine standards including the Code of Online Business Practices. The company has agreed to work with its customers and the BBB to resolve complaints that might arise. Should you have a problem with the business, use the form at www.bbb.org to tell us. As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports are provided solely to assist you in your own best judgment. BBB reports are subject to change at any time.

Now once a person has cancel their Gold account you still cannot deactivate your account because you still are a "We are unable to delete your membership because you are still a paid member. In order to delete your membership, click here to contact customer support." This company makes it extremely hard to cancel an account, I am going to complain the the Florida Attorney Generals office and so should you. The link to cancel should be located it a easy to find area such as settings area where one tries to deactivate their account. I for one will not use this site again.
 runjohn52
Msg: 526
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:27:40 AM
This just happened to me (11/20/08) so I figure I should say something so others can be aware of them-

I received an email (the email I signed up to POF with but since changed but my username is from that email addy) from someone who said they just moved to my area and were looking to get in touch with me. When I tried to reply it sent me an automated reply telling me to email the person through - freindship2make.com - she was pretty so I joined for free but then found out I would have to be a paid member in order to email someone - NOT!

This person said in her email she got my email from my "add on plentyoffish".

So maybe this site should be on a watch out for list
 runjohn52
Msg: 527
Posted: 11/22/2008 11:31:31 AM
that is freindships2make - with an "s"
 BeachBumCC
Msg: 528
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:30:47 AM
Same thing......I was a member of Match and was thinking about joining Yahoo, until I saw this thread....while I was with Match I would get a few emails here and there.....a few winks (mostly bogus ones)....after my three month was up and cancelled then all of a sudden I was getting emails (which were going to my work email) with winks.....amazingly during the time I was with Match I never got so much mail nor winks....I have come to the conclusion that Match (and probably Yahoo are fake)....I'm not saying that everyone on these suites are fake, because I was on there...but I think it's a money making machine....I'm glad that I found this thread because I had actually made a profile last night for Yahoo and was giving it a lookover.....it's really a shame that nice people (both men and women) can't seem to find their match as often as you would think they should on a pay site.....but then again....if we all were these sites would be out of bussiness....I hope I didn't ramble on to much here...
 ToungeFooMaster
Msg: 529
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2009 6:42:42 AM
Awsome It's about Time Somebody Caught These Scammers ,,, I've Been On Several Pay Sites That I Think Do This ,,, funny How after 10 Min On a Site i start Getting '
" Winks " & E-Mails Esp after i let my subscription lapse ,,, & when Your a " Free " Member There Deffinately Aughta be a Law Against This Type Of False Advertising
& Giving Ppl False Hope ....
 shmodzilla
Msg: 530
Posted: 2/27/2009 8:00:47 AM
I like the ones that have "over 1 million members" so you search and the last active person to be online in a 100 mile radius is over a year ago
 Bodyman4u
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2009 3:20:31 PM
TRUE.com should be added to this law suite!!! They sent me pics of professional models, who wanted to flirt with me. Being a world wide beauty judge, I recognized one!
 music_fan
Msg: 532
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:41:45 PM
Cool,

But they also need to go after True.com also. True is supposedly the #1 paid dating site online and they also send out fake winks also, so True should be sued also.

I despise True.com with a vengeance. I haven't been a member of their site in years but they make me sick espically Herb Vest (owner of True.com).

His site only became #1 because he uses ads that have women in very little clothing.
 husker72240
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2009 11:29:08 AM
I have nothing bad to say about Yahoo personals except that I never got any results, and most of those were from females in foreign countries.
My complaint is with a web site called Heart Detectives, now this site is one BIG scam. And so noted by many, many, testimonials which make Yahoo look OK. Heart Detectives also has a TV show called Cheaters. Suck you into finding out your mate is cheating and then onto Heart Detectives to find your true love, soul mate, bride etc.
Please don't even try this one. I have filled with the FBI as it is a Federal Crime to us the internet to scam monies etc.
Best bet if you see a nice looking friendly male or female in the super market, Target, Nordstrom's etc. go for, but do it in a nice friendly way.

IT WORKS.
 hottgirl002
Msg: 534
Posted: 10/12/2009 2:01:44 AM
same with me , Im going to cancel my membership with yahoo personals , becouse ive been on there for years , all i got was winks from old people . Now everytime I upload a picture they reject it , and becouse they dont have my gender list i chose female becouse its the closest to my needs , also becouse i try to exsplain im a hermaphrodite , they reject my intro , there nothing but a bunch of comunist running there site , they think you have to change yourself to conform to what they think is right in there image , thank the gods we have plenty of fish .
 allforit
Msg: 535
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2010 5:12:08 AM
I find this very interesting.

I joined the free trial for Match.com and in 3 days had 2 ''matches' contact me who both turned out to be fraud.

I didn't join at the time, but did join a short while later, when a 'potential match' sounded very appealing and lived in my area.
He too turned out to be a fraud.

I have had 4 fraudulent matches in a very very short time. I sent my complaints and the profiles are still up.

I would never recommend this site to anyone.
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 536
Posted: 12/14/2010 9:30:17 AM
There was another site I came across years ago that did the same thing. I wish I could remember the name. Think it was Online Personals or something similar to that name. They sent me emails saying that somebody emailed me. In order to read the emails you had to pay. When I went to the site without signing in, I did a user name search of the person who suposed to have emailed me and the username did not exist.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud