Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sunday88
Msg: 626
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 26 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
i contacted the settlement adminstartor as i do not have proof for the period i was charged and in my case i protested with the bank and got my charge back and i
also asked if i can still participate, the lady said yes and the amount you will get back will be up to $ 35.00. depending on how long you were a member during the period in question and also they have to change some of their policies, i was thinking of opting-out and suing them in grand rapids,mi district and/or us district court but i would have to get the period that i was charged ( as it was only one month for me. ) and see what laws applies.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 627
ATTN: YAHOO PERSONALS SUBSCRIBERS!!!
Posted: 9/18/2007 9:42:09 PM
I got a postcard in the mail yesterday directing me to this site...

http://www.anthonysettlement.com

It regards Yahoo Personals and Russian Mail Order Bride and Nigerian scams. I did have people contact me on Yahoo IM asking me for money and recieved a bunch of emails from Russian Mail Order Brides while I was a paid subscriber (not that I fell for any of these scams). Watch your mail people. If you get a postcard, go directly to the site, d/l and print the pdf form and mail it by Dec. 15. You can get $35. You have to have been a paid subscriber between Oct. 1, 2004 and Aug. 8, 2007, and I was.
 Single_Texan_4U
Msg: 628
Posted: 9/23/2007 12:37:28 PM
Regarding the Yahoo class action lawsuite/settlement, has anybody been able to verify that this is for real and not just another online scam to get people's personal information for some nefarious purpose?

I've Googled it and so far everywhere there's the question being asked, "Is this for real or not?"

In my case I've never received any snail-mail card or anything, but did get an e-mail message at my Yahoo address purportedly from "Anthony v. Yahoo Settlement Notice". However I get sooo many scam e-mails at my Yahoo address that the mere fact that I got this at that e-mail address makes me instantly suspicious! LOL!

The only apparently legitimate source for any such Anthony class action lawsuite I find is in an article on MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10201287/).

Regards!

- Michael
 Mutantdate
Msg: 629
Posted: 9/24/2007 5:07:53 PM
Just an update.
It takes for ever and ever to get something done when you report this.
Ya I have heard all the spin law enforcement gives.
I am no trained investigator, but I have located were the con lives and know he is a male posing as a female. He has at least 4 phone numbers that come from north America plus the Ghana number. If I want to pay I could even find out who phones are registered to and an address. But that would be a waste of my money because they are fake.
This guy is good at what he does so it is up to anyone he contacts to wake up and see the con coming before you end up on the wrong side of the law and years to clear your name in the land of credit card.
More information to the public is needed and it should be paid buy credit card companies , because they don't have the popper checks in a lot of cases. As far as merchants go, they need to be educated too. I found the tools need to be put in place on their web sites the flag many different thing to bring it to the attention of security to look at before a sale is complete.
I blame mostly credit card companies because they don't make people aware of how bad it is. It's into the hundreds of millions of USA dollars a year. The loss is figured into interest and cost of products. They don't tighten up on security because the consumer pays the bill and they make their profit.
Dam I am going to sound like a hippy if I keep this up.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 630
view profile
History
Match.com law suits
Posted: 10/30/2007 9:22:19 PM
Yet another attorney and class action web site has popped up: http://audetlaw.com/match_com/
 Myrtlebeacher
Msg: 631
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/18/2007 1:43:30 PM
I really don't see this being so hard to do?

1. Lobby your politicians to put in laws or audits. Make the business lives miserable at these pay-for-scam sites.

2. Tell your friends about POF as compared to others. Less money in mean less for advertising. How did you hear about Match.com or True.com or Chemistry.com?

3. Use other free forums and spread the news. Take the coins away from these fellas.

4. Tell your local churches and pastors to warn the population of getting scammed for people looking to fall in love. Have them push these comment up the church ladders.

NOW......it can get real dirty......

Let the right crazy people think this is a racially biased attack on a population....send in the Bobsy twins like with Imus. OMG. This would be an evil and vindictive act. Hmm.

Finally.....

Use the old saying. If it looks too good to be true, it IS!

qu1nn
Msg: 632
Posted: 11/20/2007 3:06:01 PM
Good Afternoon to all. I spent a good chunk of my work day reading through this forum, it was a slow day, and it started out by reading about the dating site scams. I have been on many different sites myself. True, Match, POF, even myspace. So, to start off with True... Did you know there is a setting that YOU CAN TURN ON AND OFF that will automatically send out emails on your behalf? So, if you don't explore the system, don't assume that its faulty, now I am not saying there are not security issues with all of them, but lets make sure we are chasing up the right trees here. Match, been there over a year, and have yet to find the one. Its true, the average for a guy is about 2/10 replies for emails sent... unless you know how to look. I am about 4/7 on average. How, I never email someone under 30. Its a good thing I like older women I guess. I am 28, if I email 28 year olds I am 0/800, lol. I do think the girls get hard with the creepy guys and get turned off by the idea of talking to guys online, so we need to make sure to help each other out when we can.I have had my fair share of scammers and such, BUT, education is power, if you don't learn about this stuff and learn to read the signs, then you have only yourself to blame, when you get burned. Now, do they put up fake profile to get you in, sure... but, its called advertising. Have you ever got a big mac that looked like the picture? Ever stayed in a hotel that was not quite what you were told it was? False advertisements are every where in life, so why would this be any different?

I like the pay sites personally, it limits who can email others, and can stop the creepy guys from emailing every girl on the site, and stopping her from getting to the serious emails. Myspace... do you ever take an email there serious? Not me, why, because any 14 year old can get on and pretend to be what ever they want to be.

Now, I don't mean for this to sound cold or****, but we as people have to be responsible for what we do, plain and simple. Lets face it, the days of going to the bars to meet people is reaching an end. There are more single parents out there now who just can't find a sitter to make it out. Just like buying stuff on E-bay this option is here to stay, we just have to educate each other, and be civil to one another. And guys, if your dream girl sends you an email first... wake up... if she is that good looking, she is too busy from the other 100 emails she got in the last hour to search you out and send you something!

My profile is up, you can bash me in private or public, its up to you. But I am in a mood to debate so...
 Ticketoride
Msg: 633
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:45:43 PM
Now, do they put up fake profile to get you in, sure... but, its called advertising.

Current legal Actions more correctly refer to that as "Fraud".
Check'em out.

False advertisements are every where in life, so why would this be any different?

Deception ... accept it, live with it, right?

Match, ... I am 28, if I email 28 year olds I am 0/800, lol.

So why are you peddling Pay Sites?

I like the pay sites personally, it limits who can email others, and can stop the creepy guys from emailing every girl on the site, and stopping her from getting to the serious emails.

Why do you need to pay for that?

Lets face it, the days of going to the bars to meet people is reaching an end.

If anything, they've come back Big-time over the last year or so, many tired of Dating Sites.
This Post looks like PR work to me ... you are not gonna start spamming here are you?
 qu1nn
Msg: 634
Posted: 11/20/2007 8:18:56 PM
PR eh? Sure, I am here to promote all the pay sites... why is it when someone does not have something bad to say about the current trendy thing to hate, you are some how affiliated with them in a capacity other then a consumer?

I don't know what bars you hang out at dude, but the quality and quantity of what is out there, male or female has declined.

If you read the quote of mine you put up, then reread your question, if the answer is still not there in front of you, read it again, and again. The whole flooding thing... too many emails... girls give up... get back to me on it.

deception... yes live with it. It is every where, and when you learn to accept it, and educate yourself on it, then you won't get hurt or burned by it.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 635
Posted: 11/21/2007 3:02:30 AM
why is it when someone does not have something bad to say about the current trendy thing to hate, you are some how affiliated with them in a capacity other then a consumer?

Well, you seem to think "Fraudulent" Advertising is perfectly acceptable.

Sending out bogus fabricated Winks, to deceive a User into believing someone is actually interested in him for the Purpose of looting his Pocketbook is "Fraud".

Further, Pay Sites aren't the current Trendy Thing, they are on their Way down. Free Dating Sites have no need for such Scams.

Not sure how you have worked this "Hate" Thing in there.

I don't know what bars you hang out at dude, but the quality and quantity of what is out there, male or female has declined.

No need to hang out anywhere. You can see the huge Line-ups and the Entry Fees climbing, lucky if you can even get in.

Quality of Males/Females declined? Even if that were true, what do Pay or Free Dating Sites, or Bars for that Matter have to do with the Decline of Quantity/Quality of Males/Females?

Bogus Winks certainly have little to do with it.

If you read the quote of mine you put up, then reread your question, if the answer is still not there in front of you, read it again, and again.

Some Answer through the Clouds?
Fraud is Fraud. What else is there to say about it?

The whole flooding thing... too many emails... girls give up... get back to me on it.

What does that have to do with Pay or Free Sites?
Are you saying the Mail Setting Restrictions on this Free Site don't work?

deception... yes live with it. It is every where, and when you learn to accept it, and educate yourself on it, then you won't get hurt or burned by it.

In other Words, knowing full well you are being Scammed by being sent Bogus Winks by Pay Sites you should make nothing of it and hand your Money over again, and just accept being frauded over as a Reality of Life?
 kawi-rider
Msg: 636
Posted: 11/21/2007 4:21:43 AM
... you should make nothing of it and hand your Money over again, and just accept being frauded over as a Reality of Life?

It's worked out well for Microsoft, other companies are just following an established business model that works.

I won't defend the pay sites as my comments are somewhere earlier in this thread. I do wish to say that most advertising today is bordering on, if not outright, fraudulent. It is a reality of life. No, it's not right, but it's the world we live in and we as customers must be skeptical of all advertising claims since most all of them are demonstrably false in some way.

A lot of business models seem to focus on fleecing each member of the populace at least once and couldn't care less if they return. The traditional model is to take care of the customers and depend on their satisfaction for repeat business. This model depends on a small fraction of the populace ever walking through the door in the first place but keep them coming back. Guess which model seems to be gaining acceptance and which is rapidly becoming an endangered species and today's advertising claims become clear.

The pay sites seem to have the first model in mind, sadly enough.
 qu1nn
Msg: 637
Posted: 11/21/2007 10:57:54 AM
I was rereading my post, and I sure can't find where I said it was ok to be fraudulent. Perhaps you can post the quote for me. I said its every where, and its in our lives, and we as people have to make the decision to either pay attention, or not.

I can't believe you still don't understand the creepy guy email thing. The restrictions are easy to get around, just by changing your profile, so yes, I am saying they don't work.

The difference is, I do know what are scams and what are not, I choose to ignore them, plain and simple. If you need help picking them out, just let me know, they are easy to spot.
 qu1nn
Msg: 638
Posted: 11/21/2007 11:20:25 AM
If any one would like to take an opportunity to educate themselves on some common scams we deal with in our everyday lives, the ones I refered to in my previous posts then check out fraudguides.com, this site has loads of scams on it to be weary of. So if you think Match and True and any other paysite is bad, then I am guessing many of you will never donate to a charity again after reading the scams involved. But again, it is all about education. Knowledge IS power!
 newyearnewyou
Msg: 639
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 9:28:11 PM
Well, admin

After all Dr. Phil said it was OK to look
 heathepw
Msg: 640
Posted: 12/12/2007 11:02:23 AM
True.com is the biggest bogus dating site I know. Besides not being able to do anything as a free member, I get 15-20 fake flirts per day. How do I know they are fake? Why would a beautiful 18-20 year old girl flirt with a guy in his 40's for one thing. Another thing, I deleted my profile and kept getting these kinds of flirts. I went back in and hid my profile (still there by the way) and checked and it was not showing. I still got 5 more flirts after that. Now I went in and set my preferences to block anyone under or over 18, all religions, all ethnicities, and all children preferences (No, Yes living with me etc.). If I get another flirt I'm contacting True directly and getting them to remove my e-mail from their list. I'll let ya'll know how it goes now.
 Silver_Spurs
Msg: 641
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:26:33 PM
I was on True.com several yrs back and met someone, we actually dated for a couple yrs but it ended. Anyways we both cancelled our subscriptions at about the same time.. Well he was charged for another 2 months after cancelling, and I was charged for 4 months before I could get them to stop. I had used paypal to pay my fee's tho. Where as he had used his credit card. Also One day I get a notice from them this was about 6 months ago that I had mail... Now why the hell would I have mail when I had canceled yrs ago? So I almost deleated it then out of curisity I went and checked for myself... Sure enough.. There I was.. My profile visable to the world, and I had 76 emails. Now how in the hell did this happen? I logged off, opened another browser , made a fake profile as a guy to do a search, searched woman near me within 50 miles of my zip and sure as chit there I was...
Man I was hot.. I contacted true and thretned to have my lawyer contact them if they did not remove my profile from there sight. I never heard a word about it back from them but my profile did disappear a few days later.
I had closed my account, deleated my profile so how did this happen? I have never ever used a paid for dating service since. I have a friend who has used Match, yahoo, and mega friends and they have all done the same thing to her even tho she crys about it month after month...
I say if you cancel anyplace go back and make sure its no longer there... I'm just glad the guy I met on True didn't see my profile still on there and think I had lied to him...
These places give dating sites a bad name.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 642
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:10:44 AM
I had closed my account, deleated my profile so how did this happen?

Re-instituting Closed or deleted Accounts makes their existing Clientele via Searches believe they have have Lots of Ladies available for Dating. This Type of Fraud is quite commonplace, as removed 'Deleted Profiles' do not haul in Sign-ups.

The Admin has stated that if Pay Sites gave you what you wanted, they'd go Bankrupt.
The Term "Pay-Site" has for all Intents & Purposes almost become synonymous with Scam.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 643
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 1:46:19 AM
got some accounts on pay sites, seems they can never be deleted, just made inactive. This makes the total number appear bigger.

get lots of spam for some of these sites on social networking sites and on a old email that I still use, had plenty of someone has a crush on u, have to pay for the ability to read emails and then find they live 200 miles away and they smoke, do drugs, etc

not active on any pay sites because of that :)
 Garf67
Msg: 644
Posted: 1/14/2008 8:24:10 AM
An Aussie 'adult' site was doing this too... guys with subs about to run out received many winks or msgs from bikini clad ladies, who of course never responded to mails at all. Wording in the msgs were the same or similar... only the pics varied slightly.
 chandlerarrington
Msg: 645
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 7:42:30 PM
I joined a certain unnamed site after getting many winks, but I haven't received any emails back after sending over 25, looks like I got taken in for $30. It's such a shame that people can get away with playing with other people's emotions.
 kawi-rider
Msg: 646
Posted: 1/22/2008 3:00:38 PM
I was poking around Yahoo! Personals today and noted that their six month membership subscription is now just under $14/month (their cheapest rate). I heard yesterday that Yahoo! was hurting for revenue and planning to lay off workers.

Word to the wise, don't subsidize the buggers.
 Drums4me
Msg: 647
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 4:08:00 PM
Thats What Has Happened To Me,I subscribed for a while but after no luck i stopped subscribing but kept my profile and i would occaisionally wink at someone or hope for a wink and figured if someone showed interest i would subscribe again for a month so i could e-mail and chat with them. i never got any winks but when i cancelled a few days later i get a wink so i check out the profile,she looks attractive,lives close by and has a nice profile so i pay again for a month and e-mail her but now i get a message that her profile no longer exisits so i complained and they said sorry for the "Marketing E-mail "and they would refund my money and they were sorry to see me go (although i had not yet asked to cancel) What A scam getting my hopes up for nothing but their greed for my money.
 Drums4me
Msg: 648
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:47:14 AM
Now That I Complained They Have Blocked Me,I cant wink at anyone or look at a profile without signing up.
 DixieBelle
Msg: 649
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 3:12:00 PM
There is something else that just occured to me. ...

I have never been on Yahoo Personals, but evey time I log off from this site, I get an invitation from Yahoo Personals to "check out my current matches".

I do have a yahoo email address. Do you think they have tagged my searches? I'm not sure I like that idea.

Anyone else have the same experience?
 cobaltred
Msg: 650
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:31:33 AM
Here is my experience with Date.com
If you become a Gold member with Date.com and you want to cancel your account...you cant. The Automated system will re-direct you request to a new page informing you " Failed to Delete Profile We are unable to delete your membership because you are still a paid member. In order to delete your membership, click here to contact customer support." This is a direct quote from Date.com's page.

Clicking on contact customer support link you are again re-directed to another page... Date.com Membership Department Avalanche, LLC 1521 Alton Road #626 Miami Beach, FL USA 33139 Please Note: Because of delays in the postal service, it can take 7-14 days until you are upgraded to Gold Membership status. To become a Gold Member immediately, we recommend you upgrade via credit card. Please Note: When sending membership payment by mail be sure to include (and please print clearly) your: * Username * Email address * Length of Membership

At this page you are given an option of either submitting a request to customer support or nothing. Once you have submitted a request an email will show up at the account you signed on with informing you that customer support will contact you in 24 hours. They are not open on the weekends! so the 24 hours contact by customer service is invalid.

Notice there is no phone numbers, I will address this further down this post

At the top right hand corner on the contact customer support, there is a very small link that says "To cancel your Gold Membership click here" Upon clicking this link you are re-directed to a page giving you all your sign-on information. Here you can cancel your account. But not deactivate it.

Phone numbers and other information found on the main page under http://www.bbbonline.org/cks.asp?id=105071913552 which is found on the bottom right corner. Clicking on this link you are re-directed to another page giving you this information. BBBOnLine Reliability Profile: Date.com Company/Organization Information: 1521 Alton Road #626 Miami beach, FL 33139 Phone: 305-938-4400 Fax: 305-535-0893 Email: Click here Description of Product & Services Offered: Internet Dating site for singles to find a match for a relationship Company Website(s) www.date.com Business Start Date: 1/1/2001 Bureau Join Date: 2/28/2005 Company Management: Meir Strahlberg (CEO) Customer Service Contact: Derek Cheung (Customer Service Team Lead) Phone: 877-224-3283 Email: Click here As a BBBOnLine Reliability Participant, this company is a member of the Better Business Bureau, and meets all BBB membership standards. It also complies with BBBonLine standards including the Code of Online Business Practices. The company has agreed to work with its customers and the BBB to resolve complaints that might arise. Should you have a problem with the business, use the form at www.bbb.org to tell us. As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports are provided solely to assist you in your own best judgment. BBB reports are subject to change at any time.

Now once a person has cancel their Gold account you still cannot deactivate your account because you still are a "We are unable to delete your membership because you are still a paid member. In order to delete your membership, click here to contact customer support." This company makes it extremely hard to cancel an account, I am going to complain the the Florida Attorney Generals office and so should you. The link to cancel should be located it a easy to find area such as settings area where one tries to deactivate their account. I for one will not use this site again.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud