Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jameswebby
Msg: 66
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 3 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
My thoughts exactly!
 luvtung
Msg: 67
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/20/2005 8:36:41 AM
without a doubt many more besides these two are doing that i could name 10 give or take a couple that send you fake interested emails or winks to get u to join or renew then they are nowhere to be found after sign up. and that is not to mention sights with cam ability they are notorious for such acts. its an evil world out there and these women get paid to show interest in you only to dissappear after you have been scammed into joining. what a mystery.
i thank the creator of POF and one other totally free dating sight that i wont mention. much appreciated. be safe and take care.
luvtung
 HAHANOW
Msg: 68
!
Posted: 11/20/2005 8:53:58 AM
True.com does the same thing! They send you an email that says, Look who has viewed your profile! when you open it , it send an email to everyone posted that you saw there profile & they send you an email asking, How did you like my profile?
most of the time it is a profile that you would never check out!
 dancer3
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/20/2005 8:56:36 AM
I had a feeling something was a little suspicious with the crazy amount of msgs I got. Glad I never paid anything. Being a skeptic saves a lot of money.
 RNinPHX
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/20/2005 9:05:01 AM
E HARMONY is the total rip off. During your 7 day free you get all kinds of matches. As soon as you sign up, maybe one a month and they are long distance and much older. They also email you constantly offering you specials to come back, including sending you many profiles again. DO NOT FALL FOR EHARMONY SCAM
 PiEd_PiPeR
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/20/2005 9:09:17 AM
I would never pay for a site,, why,,,i know its robbery,,

Bosco
 Robglide
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 9:13:24 AM
My two cent's worth is this: I did use YahPers more than a few times, and it did seem that JUST after I cancelled the subscription the matches were different (ie, more than a few profiles I'd never seen) and I did get several emails/winks.

Initially, this wouldn't seem altogether unusual, who can predict when people decide to date, email you, not email you, so on.

But it's too easy to manipulate the database they use.

For example, you can search for people like myself. I'd go on for a one or two months at a time, let it ride for a few months and try again.

Using this information and identifyng the right profiles, you can "bait" people into signing up again just to answer an email or two. Heck, it's only $20, or whatever they charge. No biggie to you, right?

Well, multiply that by thousands.

High stakes fishing tournament is what we got!

So, let's jam a class action up their biscuit. One voice won't produce a whisper, but many can roar with might!

Or, not for nothing, we can always get together, drive by their house and egg it. I'm in......
 droctopus
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/20/2005 12:36:41 PM
Who ****ing cares! Greed merchants sue at the drop of a hat. Just drop it, is what I say. Then move on.
 DONNJ15
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/20/2005 12:37:06 PM
Of course, ever wonder why you NEVER get responses from women you write to? You can send out a million emails on those sites and others like Mate1.com and never get a response/
Webdate and Cupid aren't all that good either. I got a message from a woman on Cupid. I have sent her many emails in return never to hear from her.

Fake pictures, fake emails, fake winks, fake women. Women saying they will meet you and never show up. Internet dating for the most part is a scam.

I must say I have met real women from this site.
 roller4
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/20/2005 2:05:10 PM
I think that as bad as yahoo and match are I believe the real THIEF on line is Lava life.They are always on delay and i think they do that so we use our credits up.I have used the service and my friends tell me they get messages days later
 cw35
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 2:42:45 PM
Yahoo is the worst for this disgusting behavior. They set up fake people, let you talk to them for awhile, then when they get their money the people suddenly stop emailing you. What I find weird is that the "women" all seem to want your real address, phone number and pictures right away. They also have a lot of Russian scam artists on the site. I have sent them emails reporting these people but they are still there. Match does it sometimes as well but yahoo seems dispicable to me. Lava seems to be on the up and up as far as I can tell (at least from my experiences).
 tiger666
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/20/2005 2:43:12 PM
I have a lot of complaints about all the paid sites because it isn't just the two mentioned in the law suit..My big complaint about Match is they suckered me in the same way with winks from supposed customers when my profile was hidden and could not be viewed..I signed up for one month just to answer the messages building up in my mailbox..I discovered even though I was a paid customer I could not communicate with others unless they were paid cusomers as well..When my month was up they automaticlly rebilled my credit card for the second month after I asked them not to..They refused a refund so I asked them to give me the three month plan instead because it was cheaper than the monthly plan..They refused that as well..I called my credit card company and made sure they could not bill me again..I'm all but finished with alot of these sites because there are a lot of fakes out there

t666
 chiman3
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/20/2005 3:15:17 PM
i knew this was comming. how do i get involved in this class action law suit.

george
 Mistaken45
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 3:22:25 PM
May I also suggest adding uDate to this growing list of dishonest sites, I noticed the flurry of interest as my membership was ending.:
 daniel102081
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/20/2005 4:27:45 PM
I agree...why in the hell would you seriously want to make someone pay for love. It's simple...so Yahoo and Match can make money off of us single folks. I was extremely happy when I found POF...the fact that it is 100% free just makes me wanna stay, even though there is a lull in my activity at the moment. I am also a memeber of the Yahoo dating site, True.com and eroticy....once my free trial was over I never decided to continue due to havin to pay big money just to stay and communicate....to hell with that....From all of the sites I've been on I've only met one girl...met her off of True.com...the date was awsome, we had a good time, but she led me on...I hate that shit....lol How can I find out if I can get in on this lawsuit?
 davo213
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/20/2005 6:04:53 PM
Hi I have recently logged in to plenty of fish,wish I knew about this site before I was scammed by a woman(or bloke) from Yahoo Personels, I have contacted Yahoo on many accassions,but there is no reply.I was scammed out of 4,000 australian Dollars by a so called woman. Her profile says adelaide but she is in nigeria africa, I have contacted the internet fraud squad,but the money is gone. The worst part is this woman still has her profile in yahoo personals,YAHOO HAS NOT REMOVED IT, DAMMM YAHOO, They should be made to Pay me and OTHERS BACK,BECAUSE its THEIR WEBSITE WHICH HAS CAUSED MY LOSS, YES MOST MEN DO GET SCAMMED CAUSE WE ARE EASY TARGETS WHEN LOOKING FOR LOVE AN HAPPINESS,Take yahoo to court,yes please,now I am in deep debt,with my credit card,just for love. Sincerely david pritchard.
 davo213
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/20/2005 6:14:41 PM
I would also like to know how to file a lawsuit against yahoo,as there has been no response from yahoo about my situation,about being scammed by a woman on their site. regards davo213
 peter5150
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/20/2005 6:15:32 PM
well one way people are getting away with not paying for the dating service , on american singles , they sneak there e-mail addresss in there description of theemselfs, so and so at the smiley face or running man, get the hint and as far as match .com , i get e-mail about them telling to check out who has viewed your profile all the time , not yahoo. it is fun really , people fall for those , like not telling you who sent you a e-mail ,unless your a paying member , that happens on american singles , but you know that happens all the time , always worry about it . thanks pof , your the greatest
 ncpackrat
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 6:46:36 PM
I also have been on these and other sites-free,but need your credit card no for ID perposes,Yea Right.One I paid for and the others I didn't.Started to get emails and winks from others but couldn't open them with out pay membership.Only thing I hated is if a fiew were legit,woundered if something was wrong.The one I paid on I called and talked with customer service,when I saw things wern't happening there called to cansel.No problem and they were good to their word-nuff said.I do hate this for others and their feelings.Hope all here do well and thanks to those who own this site as I started not to join cause of the rest of the BS sites.Here you have a good thing,again good luck to all,The Pack Rat
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/21/2005 12:29:46 AM
By arlie1969 :
I was on match .com for six months and wrote over two hundred messages and not one date or an actual written response, ...

Same experience here (but only up to 170 messages written). I've also sent about 400 winks over 6 months to people that I had not followed up with messages. In all that time, I got back only 30 replies of any kind (including the simple "not interested" reply to a wink). Due to overlap, that's about 500 people contacted (an average of 3/day) and about 2,400 profiles read.

However, my experience in RECEIVING winks and messages seems quite different from everyone else on match. In six months, I have received only 5 winks (two were in reply to winks I initiated), and ZERO messages. So, if there are fake winks/flirts/icebreakers and fake messages going on, I haven't seen them. However, no actual dates. My profile there is quite different from the one here; different photos too. I wonder why I'm NOT seeing the problem of fake stuff that everyone else is seeing. However, still no actual dates.

Before signing up for match, I had asked a cousin who is about 20 for her opinion of online dating. She told me that two of her friends met their s.o.'s there (and one couple is now married). Therefore, I thought "what the heck; it worked for them."

I have seen them on another pay site (previously mentioned under the forum thread mentioned in message #1 of this thread) - and still continue to get an average of 4 messages and 2 winks per day there - on "realsexdates." That's the site where the owner, Mark Whrel, had been previously sued by AOL for being a spammer. Too bad those of us who are now here (I'm not the only person from there who is here) didn't know that before we got suckered over there.

As for the free sites, I'm glad that this one has very few problems. "Craigslist," also free, has a spammer problem (spammers posting ads to their websites). Having multiple dating sites also seems counterproductive. This is one area that should be monopolized.

No one has mentioned this, but remember the 6 episode TV show on ABC called "hooking up?" I now wonder if that was a ploy by the dating sites mentioned in the title credits....
 cw35
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 3:14:09 AM
somebody: So people don't have a right to complain or do something about having money stolen from them? I guess if your house was robbed, you wouldn't call the police because that would make you a whiner, right? I don't think the moderators started this thread so people like you could bash everyone with a legitimate complaint by using childish insults. Don't post if you aren't going to contribute anything.
Posted: 11/21/2005 6:29:42 AM
well I get winks all the time from yahoo personals and when I click on the one that gave me a wink and it always goes to bye a year for $9.95 and I click off and come back to pof. anytime something is not free I don't go to that site but tho yahoo is my fav but would I go threw yahoo personals no! the chat rooms are the personals and it is free but I love pof it is a great site I met alot of cool people on this site never met them face to face but cool people! well I gotta go I have a nice day people!
 smith2267
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:00:20 AM
I am about 95% sure that True does the same thing...wish someone would sue them.
 maintguy045
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:37:36 AM
I have contacted several dating sites in regards to the proliferance of bogus and geographically misrepresented personal ads on thier sites,including the ones in question in the suit, after being contacted by these scammer idiots,and have never recieved a reply what so ever,nor have the ads been taken off the sites....yahoo email is a big enabler and shelterer of these dating site scammers.....and it could easily could be remedied by a strict enforcement of identity verification,which of course, they refuse to do...LOL....anyone on these sites who contacts you providing a yahoo email address should be viewed with a high degree of skepticism............
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >