Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tsanch7
Msg: 51
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 3 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
And they'd always send you fake e-mails from females.....(I'm male)......claiming to want to meet you......yet....when you tried to find them.....they didn't exist
 q2alphadog
Msg: 52
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:02:47 PM
Does anyone have a more legitimate link to this story than the ones provided? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything.
 MaineMike
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:05:34 PM
I would like to find the name of the guy who initiated the lawsuit - he should get a copy of this entire blog to use as evidence toward his suit. Looks like he has more support then he ever know!

I am wondering if anyone conducted any 'test's with Match.com like I did??

Mike in Maine
 brawnydog
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:06:17 PM
I figured that there was a bunch of them.....after Dani typed in plentoffish by accident and sent me the link.
Scammers and amateurs. Trying to ride the wave.

rainbow_fish
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:06:29 PM
The article you posted said match. com has over 850,000 match.com
customers are in NYC... right?

I know that match advertises one million paid subscribers....
so that means there are only 150,000 people
from the rest of the world?
The world is a BIG place.......

lol

interesting story ..... but is it true?
what is really going on here?

hmmmmm.
That would come to ? maybe 10-20,000 for USA
and breaking that down to number per city.... would
mean ??? there are only a handful of real people
behind those profiles for every city.
?

Thanks for the info admin....... something to think about
and be aware of... will watch for it on the local news stations too.

As far is if it is true? who knows?
could just be a lot of frustrated people not finding what
they hoped to from online dating

(innocent look)
lol
 ScorchingHeat
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:06:39 PM
I understand individuals do the same as a form of 'fun' and nothing better to do than interefere with those that are genuine. Being able to accumulate excessive e-mail address does not help the cause. Having said that I find it 'unacceptable' for the company to make their site active for others. They should review their site to find where they are failing....
 jpl3447
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:08:27 PM
HumanBean said :

..., and I've called them more than once to remove my profile. I've been promised that they will remove it, but they haven't yet.

Hey I have run into this problem before on other sites where there is no option to delete the profile and because all the winks/emails were faked I wanted to delete it but couldn't.

So here is what I did. I blanked my profile, deleted all pics of me, changed all personal info and then when I was done with that, I changed my email address that notifications were sent to to the support (dot) com [or whatever they use] address of the website that wouldn't let me delete my profile.

So then from now on all emails and winks for my now incognito profile gets sent directly back to the fraudulent dating site! Pretty cool huh?

OT: I could join the class action against Yahoo but have no more proof since it's been more than a year since my paid membership was active and I have no copies of the winks/emails.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:11:18 PM
BRAVO, "ILUVMONKEY"!!!
I have said all along that personals websites that charge for all of their functions are no better than prostitutes.
 blady
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:13:12 PM
Good ..makes me happy whenever fraud and the misuse of poeple's money is uncovered.
What makes it worse, concerning dating sites, is that they are playing with people's money and emotions..BTW does anyone personally know any dating site employees??
Maybe they are undercover like the FBI or the CIA???? Hmmmm!!!
 Kat1114
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:16:44 PM
It happened to me on match. A guy sent me a letter through there wanting to know why I would not talk to him after sending winks, I never sent him winks.. After the first month I wanted to stop and the day after I decided not to renew I started getting wink notices day after day. I know they were doing it to get me to join but after what the guy told me I decided not to fall for their games. I have made more friends through here and these people seem real.
 Tffnycopeland
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:17:20 PM
I completely agree with filing a law suite against them. I went onto match.com and they were sending me matches of Abercrombie & Fitch Models. I know for sure one of them was because I work at a mall and that picture was one of there window posters. Or they let you know who is interestedin you but you have to pay to talk to them. Well they say that your payment will be like 10.oo a month well, never did they tell me it would come out for the whole year at one time. It's about damn time someone take those liars to court!
Tiffany Copeland
 brawnydog
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:17:47 PM
..., and I've called them more than once to remove my profile. I've been promised that they will remove it, but they haven't yet.

Yeah. Admin posted on that in "help" not long ago. He said basically, that the other sites don't delete people..........so that they can inflate their member quota.
 Duzntgetanyfiner
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:18:12 PM

Does anyone have a more legitimate link to this story than the ones provided? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything.

try these ones:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4451606.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/20/wdate20.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/20/ixworld.html

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzdate1119,0,3785890.story?coll=ny-business-leadheadlines

http://www.corante.com/dating/archives/2005/11/18/online_daters_sue_matchmaking_sites_for_fraud.php

all from google search using "match.com fraud allegations" in search box.

Cheers

P.S. There are more...these are just a few
 Onehelluvawoman
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:23:26 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/20/wdate20.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/20/ixworld.html

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=80054

http://news.com.com/Suit+claims+Match.com+set+up+fake+dates/2100-1038_3-5960986.html

Here are a few I found by searching Google...typed in match.com lawsuit and selected News Stories for any of those that want to search out more....although they all say pretty much the same thing as what the moderators here originally posted etc.
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:26:33 PM
no worse than deleting and censoring posts.

i think most of the pay sites are scams.
 swtlilbi76
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:30:18 PM
It's about time this type of "marketing" was brought out into the public..

Also the fact these sites send mails to people like me who aren't subscribers telling me I have mail...

hate that...
 johan101
Msg: 67
view profile
History
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:31:33 PM
I have the same experience with True.com... before joining I was getting at least 5 winks per day.. this enticed me to shell out the $50. bucks a month for a membership (big mistake).. as soon as I joined.. the winks stopped and not a single one of the women who "winked" at me responded to my email messages.....
 iluvmonkeys2
Msg: 68
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:34:48 PM
exactly shoulderlegs...i think it's a horrible thing to charge people...think of all the $$$$ they must have made preying on the lonely. and on top of it to use fraud to get them to pay when they probably wouldn't have otherwise! there's just soooo much wrong with that!

i had the same problem with match not deleting my profile when requested. my ex discovered it was still on the site and accused me of leaving it there...then again, why the h*ll was he looking? ah well...
 KanKanKan
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:34:50 PM

Both of these suits seek class action status, what do you think?

I think you strike while the iron is HOT.

1) Do a press release, include as many quotes from the NYDT and BBC PR to max exposure.

2) Include in privacy policy that POF unlike some others does not employ date baiters. That alone will generate tons of eyeballs this way.

3) Order more servers, you will be needing them, two more should suffice?

4) Hold on and get ready for an influx of Yahoo and Match people.
 coffeencreme
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:35:00 PM
I dropped Match.com long before I found out about the games they were playing with the e-mail address in messages you sent. They drove me CRAZY with rewording my ads for no apparent reason! The fact that I never got EVEN one date thru them after paying for 6 months didn't help either.

I have gotten one or two dates thru Yahoo Personals, but I wouldn't recommend them. Soooooo many fake ads! Every fake ad I reported, was deleted...then recreated under a new username but with the SAME wording and picture!

No luck with POF so far...but its not costing me anything.
 aned
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:35:05 PM
The same is for datingagency.co.uk who stole my money: all 13 emails sent to me to make me pay disappeared after I paid for 6 months. People who work there sent me most of these emails, programmers of the site who was also married and told me so when we chatted. I requested a refund, but was refused - I never visited the site again for the rest of my subscription. Many people who sent me emails at daingagancy.co.uk were married posing for singles - I am sure because I did a research on their names and he had a wife, both looking for jobs in France at angloinfo.com.
 Shaps
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:35:43 PM
I know phone chat lines use or have employees working there chat rooms all the time to keep guys coming back.
My ex worked for Bell Canada and Bell owns most lines, and at night she had to spend at least 3-5 hours a night on them.
This was a chat line, not a phone sex line, but Bell owns 60% of those also.
 markus
Msg: 73
view profile
History
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:37:34 PM
From reading these posts i get the feeling true.com will get pulled into this as well. If you agree to send random winks when signing up then what they are doing isn't out right illegal but in the mind of the consumer it sure is.

There is very little in the way of law for websites so for the most part sites can do whatever they feel like.

I hope that the general public starts clueing in that they don't have to pay $1-2 billion a year to dating sites, when you can use a better service like Plentyoffish.com that is completely free.

As for people jumping from other sites to plentyoffish its been happening all year.. Started the year in canada with 3% marketshare and now its around 40% and in the USA its now the 4rth largest general interest dating site and growing fast.
 Mathman687
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:43:03 PM
After reading some of the forums, I agree that there is probably a scam going on. I figure that the reason I have had no luck on these sights is because those who are intersted in me cannot get to me because I have to pay to read their messages.
I, like many, have recieved many russian e-mails right at the end of the month. I did not renew my subscription. The only reason I subscribed in the first place was because there was an e-mail that I thought was from an american woman near by me. When I paid so that I could reply, I got no reply back, or I got a message saying that they have met someone else after they sent the origional messages.
I really hope that if these servaces are scamming people that they can be stopped. I hope they all get shut down. Many people including myself would rather use this money to take an actual person out on a date.
I hope Yahoo and Match and other scamming sites get nailed to the wall. There is no reason to pay $14.95 for something that dosen't work. I always thought that the purpose of dating sites and matching sites was to help people find that right special person to spend life with.
At least on a free site, if I meet someone that is not interested, I haven't wasted anything and I am greatful to sites like Plentyoffish that provide a service that people can use without financial risk.
 KanKanKan
Msg: 75
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:45:20 PM

If you agree to send random winks when signing up then what they are doing isn't out right illegal but in the mind of the consumer it sure is.

You may be correct but they would have to explain in their TOS that the agreement to send random winks are used as bait , if not then common contract law may very well dictate that the TOS rule did not define it's parameters, rendering it dead in the water as a defense. At least that's my two cents.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud