Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 51
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 3 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
no worse than deleting and censoring posts.

i think most of the pay sites are scams.
 johan101
Msg: 52
view profile
History
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:31:33 PM
I have the same experience with True.com... before joining I was getting at least 5 winks per day.. this enticed me to shell out the $50. bucks a month for a membership (big mistake).. as soon as I joined.. the winks stopped and not a single one of the women who "winked" at me responded to my email messages.....
 iluvmonkeys2
Msg: 53
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:34:48 PM
exactly shoulderlegs...i think it's a horrible thing to charge people...think of all the $$$$ they must have made preying on the lonely. and on top of it to use fraud to get them to pay when they probably wouldn't have otherwise! there's just soooo much wrong with that!

i had the same problem with match not deleting my profile when requested. my ex discovered it was still on the site and accused me of leaving it there...then again, why the h*ll was he looking? ah well...
 coffeencreme
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:35:00 PM
I dropped Match.com long before I found out about the games they were playing with the e-mail address in messages you sent. They drove me CRAZY with rewording my ads for no apparent reason! The fact that I never got EVEN one date thru them after paying for 6 months didn't help either.

I have gotten one or two dates thru Yahoo Personals, but I wouldn't recommend them. Soooooo many fake ads! Every fake ad I reported, was deleted...then recreated under a new username but with the SAME wording and picture!

No luck with POF so far...but its not costing me anything.
 aned
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:35:05 PM
The same is for datingagency.co.uk who stole my money: all 13 emails sent to me to make me pay disappeared after I paid for 6 months. People who work there sent me most of these emails, programmers of the site who was also married and told me so when we chatted. I requested a refund, but was refused - I never visited the site again for the rest of my subscription. Many people who sent me emails at daingagancy.co.uk were married posing for singles - I am sure because I did a research on their names and he had a wife, both looking for jobs in France at angloinfo.com.
 markus
Msg: 56
view profile
History
True.com bad experience
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:37:34 PM
From reading these posts i get the feeling true.com will get pulled into this as well. If you agree to send random winks when signing up then what they are doing isn't out right illegal but in the mind of the consumer it sure is.

There is very little in the way of law for websites so for the most part sites can do whatever they feel like.

I hope that the general public starts clueing in that they don't have to pay $1-2 billion a year to dating sites, when you can use a better service like Plentyoffish.com that is completely free.

As for people jumping from other sites to plentyoffish its been happening all year.. Started the year in canada with 3% marketshare and now its around 40% and in the USA its now the 4rth largest general interest dating site and growing fast.
 Mathman687
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:43:03 PM
After reading some of the forums, I agree that there is probably a scam going on. I figure that the reason I have had no luck on these sights is because those who are intersted in me cannot get to me because I have to pay to read their messages.
I, like many, have recieved many russian e-mails right at the end of the month. I did not renew my subscription. The only reason I subscribed in the first place was because there was an e-mail that I thought was from an american woman near by me. When I paid so that I could reply, I got no reply back, or I got a message saying that they have met someone else after they sent the origional messages.
I really hope that if these servaces are scamming people that they can be stopped. I hope they all get shut down. Many people including myself would rather use this money to take an actual person out on a date.
I hope Yahoo and Match and other scamming sites get nailed to the wall. There is no reason to pay $14.95 for something that dosen't work. I always thought that the purpose of dating sites and matching sites was to help people find that right special person to spend life with.
At least on a free site, if I meet someone that is not interested, I haven't wasted anything and I am greatful to sites like Plentyoffish that provide a service that people can use without financial risk.
 Cute/Tonya
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:49:21 PM
I have also had this same problem with true.com I swear like everday I would get atleast 20 winks posted in my inbox, and I would send a message back and the person would think I was crazy! I also recieved messages in my inbox from individuals I did not wink at. That site is a total scam! Thank god for POF! Not only have I found the man of my dreams on here my best friend has as well. It's a shame what these companies do, we are honest people trying to find our soul mate and they use us. Good Luck in everyones quests for happiness!
 jim9660
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:55:20 PM
My subscription on Match is up today. I did not renew it. The past 2 days I was flooded with winks. On Match, you can view how many people and who has viewed your profile. Even though that number hasn't changed in a few days, members that joined today have sent me winks. How can they wink at a profile they didn't view?
 cutieforyou2
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:59:30 PM
I have also known people who forget to delete thier images before they cancel.Then this leaves the perosnals free to continue using your photo to entice people who want to meet you!
REMEMBER to take your account info down..ie DELETE it ALL and write a letter stating they are not to use your personal info any longer or you will persue legal assistance!
Lastly, go back in as a "visitor " and scan for your profile to see if you are still posted.
I know this is....Stupid to have to do this, but
when I stop using the service I no longer want them to use me as " BAIT".
 mythaiekal
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:05:12 PM
I have spent months researching Yahoo Personals and a few weeks looking into Match.com, and I believe both companies are engaged in massive fraud deliberately and for profit. Class Action status is entirely appropriate. Anyone who's paid for a membership at either in the last five years who is dissatisfied on account of a low response rate should be accorded a full refund.

Both I and a friend became intrigued with the phenominon of profiles where the users were always online, but never responded, not even to messages that my friend (not me) composed which should have evoked a complaint about violation of terms of service. Yahoo's "Personals Trainer" sent out a newsletter recently listing reasons why users don't get responses, and totally ignored the whole issue of dead profiles.

Match.com's strategy is more manipulative, but very subtle. After a week or so, they no longer show you who is contacting you. Prior to that, you get a succession of winks and emails, mostly from people overseas who would be hard to trace by law enforcement authorities in this country. After the week, you get one or two more emails, then they stop, the fraud machine gives up on you. If they were real, they'd keep coming.

Another site that like Yahoo loves to use fake profiles is FriendFinder.com and somespamsite.com. On Saturday morning there will be a dozen hot new chicks posting profiles, and two or three on other days. Many of these are within a couple of miles of my house, but I've never seen any of these chicks around here. Any other dating service I've ever joined, I met at least a few people I knew. I finally figured it that these people I never see don't really exist!
 mrwrite1
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:06:38 PM
i tryed them also back in june and aug of 2005 dr joy brown on wor am 710 radio talks about them she recomands match .com i found them they like your money and you get some winks i had problems getting them to close out my account
 chritter
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Has anyone else had this issue with TRUE.com?
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:09:56 PM
Oh, yes! They lure you in, then use the bait and switch tactic! And if you don't opt to take advantage of their three day "free" trial, you'll get a pop-up for a 7 day trial instead, and when you want to cancel, you can not do it online, yeah, they take your money online but you can't kiss them goodbye online! So then they say, you completed your profile so we'll give you 30 days free! ...all the while hoping you forget to cancel before 30 days so they can take your $49!!! They'll drag it out and drag you down if you let them!
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:14:04 PM
Match.com is committing fraud. I have recieved winks and emails from different members that were obviously fake and intended to motivate me to become a paying member. Some emails were verbatum identical.

Yahoo.com is not as bad but is doing the same thing to a lesser degree. The credit card security situation with Yahoo may actually be worse according to what I have read.
 LostGrayCat
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:14:05 PM
Since money's the motovation, looks like the employes were compensated for
each paying account they snagged.
 dragonheartxp
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:19:32 PM
Not only do I think thats the case what yahoo and match. com are doing but others.
I think when you sign up to a singles site they only give you matches that are too far away, thats a fact. When I moved from UT to CA and changed my profile the dateing service showed a gal that was living just down the street from where I lived. The object was to string along members...keep them single because if they really met, they would loose 2 memberships......it's all a matter of money and greed.
 HoneyNY22
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:19:50 PM
webdate is another good completely free site. (It charges $30/month as of 2 weeks ago)

But anyways, on topic, I'm on most of the paid sites but I don't see the point in paying to find someone, when I can do it for free.
 whatever9260
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:25:33 PM
I agree, I would be pleased to find a real friend some where even if we only talk to one another as long it is honest and truthful. Lonely people are eazy victumes and never tell because they are ashamed to tell.It hurts
 Iahla
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:25:37 PM
Interesting to see that I am not the only person that had this experience! I complained on both of these sites for exactly those reasons! Now someone needs to cite them for continuing to debit your account for months after your subscription is canceled. They bank on the idea that you won't want to waste the time to get your money refunded. They got fooled ... I want every dime back and I'm going after it!
 dragonheartxp
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:26:19 PM
Not only do I think thats the case what yahoo and match. com are doing but others.
I think when you sign up to a singles site they only give you matches that are too far away, thats a fact. When I moved from UT to CA and changed my profile the dateing service showed a gal that was living just down the street from where I lived. The object was to string along members...keep them single because if they really met, they would loose 2 memberships......it's all a matter of money and greed. Heart Detectives employs the same scam.
Keep up the good work Plentyoffish!!!
 poppeey
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:33:14 PM
THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT TAKE PEOPLES MONEY LIKE THAT.ANOTHER SITE GOOD FOR THIS IS SINGLESNET.COM.I PUT A PROFILE ON THERE AND WITHIN 2 HOURS I HAD 8 PEOPLE SENDING FLIRTS.THEN THEY WANT YOU TO PAY $24.95 TO SEND AN EMAIL LOL.SO THIS ANOTHER ONE TO WATCH OUT FOR.I WAS ABLE TO CONTACT ONE AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT SHE WAS CONTACTING ME LOL.SO NOW THEY WILL LOSE 2 MORE PEOPLE FROM THERE SITE.
 shore66
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:34:09 PM
Quite some time ago I signed on with True but didn't pay. The last couple of weeks I have gotten at least 10 winks a day - obviously fake.

Match.com is the one that irritates me the most, because they will strip out the email address of the paying member who contacts a non-paying member.

Yahoo at least lets you respond to a paying member if you are not one, and I have met several people from there.
 iluvmonkeys2
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:35:23 PM
webdate is another good completely free site. (It charges $30/month as of 2 weeks ago)

i wondered about that...i have a profile there too...hardly ever use it but it's there. it used to always say completely free on the header, then one day it said free to women instead. next thing i know it says hip, hot, & sexy or some nonsense and they've started a flirt system. but do ya know, they've never notified me that it's now a pay site. wouldn't you think they would have to do that?
 Josiah.
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:36:23 PM
Haha of course I was on some goth love site and they kept sending emails saying they were this girl that was digg'n on me but of course there was no way to email her unless i paid for a subscription...after about 5 of these emails i sent the site as a whole to the trash.. yea i gotta say besides the fact that this site replaces my site name with *somespamsite* which i understand is for others protection but still it would be nice to let the freinds i meet here listen to my music..ok..ok..off subject sorry; ) anyways it is all buisness to these people your heart,your soul,your mind=flow in their wallett and they don't care how it hurts you. but alas! this is the way the world works!! are you really that suprised??!!
 PixelPusher
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:41:58 PM
One thing I have noticed on some of the other sites is that there are quite a few identical profiles with different pics.

Add money and you riun a potentially good thing. It seems to bring out the worst in people.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud