Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cute/Tonya
Msg: 76
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 4 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
I have also had this same problem with true.com I swear like everday I would get atleast 20 winks posted in my inbox, and I would send a message back and the person would think I was crazy! I also recieved messages in my inbox from individuals I did not wink at. That site is a total scam! Thank god for POF! Not only have I found the man of my dreams on here my best friend has as well. It's a shame what these companies do, we are honest people trying to find our soul mate and they use us. Good Luck in everyones quests for happiness!
 jim9660
Msg: 77
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:55:20 PM
My subscription on Match is up today. I did not renew it. The past 2 days I was flooded with winks. On Match, you can view how many people and who has viewed your profile. Even though that number hasn't changed in a few days, members that joined today have sent me winks. How can they wink at a profile they didn't view?
 CSI Wpg
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:56:27 PM
No question...

I agree...they play these games and not only that...some of the pictures are of people who are not even interested in dating. they belong to some one who just posts it perhaps for a fee to make the site look like it is well populated with soulmate seekers. Often, you don`t get any response until your membership expires and then suddenly 10 people are interested in you.... Don`t pay....those sights suck...use Plentyoffish.com...free and sexy!!!
 cutieforyou2
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/19/2005 6:59:30 PM
I have also known people who forget to delete thier images before they cancel.Then this leaves the perosnals free to continue using your photo to entice people who want to meet you!
REMEMBER to take your account info down..ie DELETE it ALL and write a letter stating they are not to use your personal info any longer or you will persue legal assistance!
Lastly, go back in as a "visitor " and scan for your profile to see if you are still posted.
I know this is....Stupid to have to do this, but
when I stop using the service I no longer want them to use me as " BAIT".
 KanKanKan
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:01:23 PM
Ashley madison does some sneaky things also. They have their clients wink option set to respond by default . So if a paying client sends an inquiry to a nonpaying client that paying client will get back a wink from the nonpaying client (in a form letter style) saying they are a nonpaying member but will accept an invitation if the paying client starts the conversation. The paying client then starts a conversation (at a cost - credits) and the nonpaying client has no idea why they are being contacted,(because they know nothing of where to turn off the wink responder). Sneaky at the least.
 mythaiekal
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:05:12 PM
I have spent months researching Yahoo Personals and a few weeks looking into Match.com, and I believe both companies are engaged in massive fraud deliberately and for profit. Class Action status is entirely appropriate. Anyone who's paid for a membership at either in the last five years who is dissatisfied on account of a low response rate should be accorded a full refund.

Both I and a friend became intrigued with the phenominon of profiles where the users were always online, but never responded, not even to messages that my friend (not me) composed which should have evoked a complaint about violation of terms of service. Yahoo's "Personals Trainer" sent out a newsletter recently listing reasons why users don't get responses, and totally ignored the whole issue of dead profiles.

Match.com's strategy is more manipulative, but very subtle. After a week or so, they no longer show you who is contacting you. Prior to that, you get a succession of winks and emails, mostly from people overseas who would be hard to trace by law enforcement authorities in this country. After the week, you get one or two more emails, then they stop, the fraud machine gives up on you. If they were real, they'd keep coming.

Another site that like Yahoo loves to use fake profiles is FriendFinder.com and somespamsite.com. On Saturday morning there will be a dozen hot new chicks posting profiles, and two or three on other days. Many of these are within a couple of miles of my house, but I've never seen any of these chicks around here. Any other dating service I've ever joined, I met at least a few people I knew. I finally figured it that these people I never see don't really exist!
 mrwrite1
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:06:38 PM
i tryed them also back in june and aug of 2005 dr joy brown on wor am 710 radio talks about them she recomands match .com i found them they like your money and you get some winks i had problems getting them to close out my account
 TattoosAreAddictive
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:06:41 PM
I'm not surprised at all. I signed up for a site called True,and I must get 30 winks a day,and sometimes from the same person. I don't think they should make up fake profiles. I mean they have to make their money right? So instead of just putting up ads,they make the people who sign up pay for it. That's why I like this site more than any other, it's free,and the ad's don't bother me.
 KanKanKan
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:09:50 PM
have also known people who forget to delete thier images before they cancel.Then this leaves the perosnals free to continue using your photo to entice people who want to meet you!

Watermark your photos with an expiry date clearly visible, upload a new image with a new watermark expiry date when the old one runs out, this should stop that practice,unless match.com would then strip layers off your image.
 chritter
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Has anyone else had this issue with TRUE.com?
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:09:56 PM
Oh, yes! They lure you in, then use the bait and switch tactic! And if you don't opt to take advantage of their three day "free" trial, you'll get a pop-up for a 7 day trial instead, and when you want to cancel, you can not do it online, yeah, they take your money online but you can't kiss them goodbye online! So then they say, you completed your profile so we'll give you 30 days free! ...all the while hoping you forget to cancel before 30 days so they can take your $49!!! They'll drag it out and drag you down if you let them!
 *Justine*
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:11:52 PM
Good thing I cancelled my match.com account today.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:14:04 PM
Match.com is committing fraud. I have recieved winks and emails from different members that were obviously fake and intended to motivate me to become a paying member. Some emails were verbatum identical.

Yahoo.com is not as bad but is doing the same thing to a lesser degree. The credit card security situation with Yahoo may actually be worse according to what I have read.
 LostGrayCat
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:14:05 PM
Since money's the motovation, looks like the employes were compensated for
each paying account they snagged.
 dragonheartxp
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:19:32 PM
Not only do I think thats the case what yahoo and match. com are doing but others.
I think when you sign up to a singles site they only give you matches that are too far away, thats a fact. When I moved from UT to CA and changed my profile the dateing service showed a gal that was living just down the street from where I lived. The object was to string along members...keep them single because if they really met, they would loose 2 memberships......it's all a matter of money and greed.
 HoneyNY22
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:19:50 PM
webdate is another good completely free site. (It charges $30/month as of 2 weeks ago)

But anyways, on topic, I'm on most of the paid sites but I don't see the point in paying to find someone, when I can do it for free.
 whatever9260
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:25:33 PM
I agree, I would be pleased to find a real friend some where even if we only talk to one another as long it is honest and truthful. Lonely people are eazy victumes and never tell because they are ashamed to tell.It hurts
 Iahla
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:25:37 PM
Interesting to see that I am not the only person that had this experience! I complained on both of these sites for exactly those reasons! Now someone needs to cite them for continuing to debit your account for months after your subscription is canceled. They bank on the idea that you won't want to waste the time to get your money refunded. They got fooled ... I want every dime back and I'm going after it!
 dragonheartxp
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:26:19 PM
Not only do I think thats the case what yahoo and match. com are doing but others.
I think when you sign up to a singles site they only give you matches that are too far away, thats a fact. When I moved from UT to CA and changed my profile the dateing service showed a gal that was living just down the street from where I lived. The object was to string along members...keep them single because if they really met, they would loose 2 memberships......it's all a matter of money and greed. Heart Detectives employs the same scam.
Keep up the good work Plentyoffish!!!
 poppeey
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:33:14 PM
THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT TAKE PEOPLES MONEY LIKE THAT.ANOTHER SITE GOOD FOR THIS IS SINGLESNET.COM.I PUT A PROFILE ON THERE AND WITHIN 2 HOURS I HAD 8 PEOPLE SENDING FLIRTS.THEN THEY WANT YOU TO PAY $24.95 TO SEND AN EMAIL LOL.SO THIS ANOTHER ONE TO WATCH OUT FOR.I WAS ABLE TO CONTACT ONE AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT SHE WAS CONTACTING ME LOL.SO NOW THEY WILL LOSE 2 MORE PEOPLE FROM THERE SITE.
 shore66
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:34:09 PM
Quite some time ago I signed on with True but didn't pay. The last couple of weeks I have gotten at least 10 winks a day - obviously fake.

Match.com is the one that irritates me the most, because they will strip out the email address of the paying member who contacts a non-paying member.

Yahoo at least lets you respond to a paying member if you are not one, and I have met several people from there.
 iluvmonkeys2
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:35:23 PM
webdate is another good completely free site. (It charges $30/month as of 2 weeks ago)

i wondered about that...i have a profile there too...hardly ever use it but it's there. it used to always say completely free on the header, then one day it said free to women instead. next thing i know it says hip, hot, & sexy or some nonsense and they've started a flirt system. but do ya know, they've never notified me that it's now a pay site. wouldn't you think they would have to do that?
 Josiah.
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:36:23 PM
Haha of course I was on some goth love site and they kept sending emails saying they were this girl that was digg'n on me but of course there was no way to email her unless i paid for a subscription...after about 5 of these emails i sent the site as a whole to the trash.. yea i gotta say besides the fact that this site replaces my site name with *somespamsite* which i understand is for others protection but still it would be nice to let the freinds i meet here listen to my music..ok..ok..off subject sorry; ) anyways it is all buisness to these people your heart,your soul,your mind=flow in their wallett and they don't care how it hurts you. but alas! this is the way the world works!! are you really that suprised??!!
 Red_Ryder
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:41:06 PM
I think what's even more despicable is that in the lawsuit against Match.com it's alleged that Match.com would send employees on bogus dates with top paying clients to string them along for their money. This is a despicable way of playing with people's emotions for the sake of an extra buck.
 PixelPusher
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:41:58 PM
One thing I have noticed on some of the other sites is that there are quite a few identical profiles with different pics.

Add money and you riun a potentially good thing. It seems to bring out the worst in people.
 spacedad
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:42:05 PM
Wow, what a relevant thread for me!

I just ditched Yahoo! Personals and came to POF after seeing this site mentioned on the edatereview site. I am so very happy I did find POF - why? - let me count the ways:

1) I was getting more mail from "Russian" ladies at YP than from legitimate prospective dates; these E-mails had NO PROFILE attached - how could they possibly manage to do that!? One can only assume YP was complicit in this, or didn't care that massive fraud was occuring on their site.

2) I know from my informal observations that the "active within the last x days/months" designation on profiles was bullsh*t; heck, mine wasn't even right some of the time. There was no reliable way of knowing who was really active on the site at any given time. POF tells precisely when people who have sent me mail last logged on - they also tell me if my outgoing mail has been read - this is a revelation after my experience at YP, where you send your E-mails out into the ether, never knowing if they even got to their destination, much less read!

3) Like every other pay site - at YP you couldn't tell who was a paying customer who could answer your E-mails or not. Crappy. Perhaps the worst trait of ALL the pay sites - they all suck.

4) Like every other pay site - absolutely RIDDLED with "dead" (inactive) profiles, to make it look like there were lots of prospects.

5) POF is the FIRST site I've seen that had forums such as these - KUDOS! This has been fun already! I can't compliment the site enough for maintaining these.

6) I've only been a POF member for three days or so and had more contact with REAL women than I did in three separate 3-month stints at YP. Nothing may pan out of it, but it's been great to have REAL contact with REAL people.

7) You can actually check to see who's put your on their "Favorites" list here - how very cool. A feature not even thought of elsewhere. LOL, perhaps I'll make it onto someone's Favorite list someday...

8) POF is really free - hard to believe - it's FREE and it's BETTER by a long shot. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I could go on from here, but you get the idea.

I guess my main point is, even ignoring any outright illegal activity on the part of these pay sites, they run a lousy business that serves to line their pockets, NOT get people together - it's a soul-sucking, dead-end affair. I'm very happy to be giving POF a try - it couldn't be more different.

Thanks to all,

Leo
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud