Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smith2267
Msg: 99
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 4 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
>>I would also be very weary of True.com. I had subscibed to them before because of all the winks i was getting. Once subscibed the daily winks stopped untill i canceled my membership. Guess what, I get 5-10 winks a day now. I always wondered how all these winks were happing but no one was looking at the profile.

That's exactly what happened to me!!!
The winks I got before I subscribed, those women would not respond to my emails once I was a member. Got virtually no winks while subscribed. Then a ton again once I cancelled.
 andy0823
Msg: 100
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:52:59 AM
yup, no doubt about it!! i experienced some of these issues and cancelled and never re-joined. yahoo and match both did these things. i don't think i ever received a legitimate email from anyone on either one of those services, that is, until my membership was about to run out.
 teasaflowers
Msg: 101
Posted: 11/21/2005 8:31:26 AM
A BIG THANK YOU to Plenty pf Fish for this free site!!! Teasa
 VintageWine
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/21/2005 9:58:26 AM
Me too!

Like a lot of guys who are looking for that elusive "perfect match", I have put profiles up on Yahoo, True, Match, Eroticy, and a few other more obscure sites. I have refused, however, to ever pay for these sites.

When Quest went "pay", I went elsewhere, and ended up jhere on POF. From real, uncensored, non pay sites like Quest or POF, I have a prety realistic idea of just how few women respond to my profile. it sucks, but hey, thats life.

Amazingly enough, on these other sites I have literally hundreds of women, the same ones I seek here at POF but do not "hook", all sending me winks and/or emails, all incredibly interested. My profile on all these sites is similar to mine here, so it is logical to expect a similar lack of responses. These same girls, here on POF, would not give me the time of day, so it is rather unlikely they would just because the site name is different.

And, of course, for me to reply to these "sweet young things", I have to pay to "upgrade" my profile... not likely! It is so blatently obvious I wonder why they even bother. Its good to see somebody make them accountable.
 SalinShoes
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/21/2005 10:27:55 AM
I am not suprised......I joined Match.com for three months....
The only people I meet were trying to extort money....
I just had a feeling that something was wrong...
In my experience, some of the profiles I responded to were fake.....
It's a shame and a scam..........
 denmac
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/21/2005 11:09:31 AM
No surprise here- I have always felt it was a scam. Coincidence how I receive a reply from a great looking woman right when I elected to end my membership. Or a wink I receive is the company expressing how sorry they are to lose me. How a membership is automatically renewed a day or two before it expires.
It's a business and involves money. Enough said.
 dino59
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/21/2005 12:24:38 PM
i received winks and messages from match.com even before i decided not to join the web site
 Dan618
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 1:26:47 PM
I believe the suit has alot of validity, I also think that True.com is doing the same type of thing.
 lonely2
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/21/2005 1:33:46 PM
if they are wrong in tis matter they should be taking to court and misleading people.
 ncpackrat
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 3:13:54 PM
May try this- all those other sites say they will boot you off if you put anything to id yourself.Well thinking of going back and changing mine on those others.Use a see me at yahoo on match and so-forth,see if you get booted.If they change it do it again,and keep on with it.It will at least keep them busy.Also one thing I did was put my picture on Yahoo=and haven't had any responces,LOL.If I can think of anything else I will.Use anything they tell you not to on those sites.P.O.F.and the members keep up the great work and good luck to all here. I am going to have a time with the pay sites ,Pack Rat
 asur
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/21/2005 3:36:32 PM
As opposed to what quite a few say in this thread, I feel it is ok to charge a fee for a matchmaking service. But, that aside, I thought I'd share my experiences with these services.

I have used most if not all of the top online matchmaking services, since way back when, off and on. All have changed over the years. (Before web services were available, I used newspaper personals.) In general, I haven't had much problem w/ false contacts, though I did notice what looked like it on match.com, and possibly American Singles, though that's unverified. I guess I'll just list each one and talk about each specifically.

-Match.com: lots of people, seemingly mostly middle-class whites, looking for other middle-class whites. It's pretty middle-brow. However, I did meet and become good friends with 2 women through it. I met a number of other people too. Ultimately, it was just too whitebread. Also, their profile censoring is maddening. If they find something "uncool" about your profile, they reject it w/o saying why!
-Yahoo personals: lots of profiles. Many seem incredibly trite. Never talked to anyone on it. Never was contacted except by what looked like foreign wife-agency women.
-Matchmaker: pretty interesting site. Has an "alternative" population. I talked to a fair number of women.
-Nerve personals: this is a really trashy, yet fascinating site. They recently had a radical makeover that's slowly been going back to its former incarnation, due to a v. negative reception. Nerve.com is--or tries to be--a hip online publication, catering to supposedly suave and sophisticated city folk. It's v. sex-oriented, w/ crude language and blatant talk of sexual matters, such as anal intercourse. It would appear targeted to young urban-center middle-class people. The clientele is varied and some appear quite interesting, though few come through on that. I have conversed with a number of women and met exactly two. One I didn't converse with much, as she seemed to simply wish to meet. The second was a v. interesting woman, who revealed to me she worked for Nerve on occasion to write fictitious profiles.
-Lavalife: this used to be called Avenia. I haven't had much experience with it since it changed to Lavalife, which now advertizes on TV. Avenia always struck me as a sort of dark site, with lots of black screen, small lettering and little boxes. It wasn't very pleasant to use. However, I did meet my wife through it!
American Singles: Nice bright site. Talked to a number of people, some of whom seemed quite interesting, but never met any. The site tightened up its "openness" a while ago, so, for instance, as a non-member, you can't see who is trying to contact you. This, for me, pretty much kills the site, since there's no way of knowing if the person is worth signing up for. I think they also made it so that a non-member can't access his mailbox.
Jdate: uses the same software as American Singles. Useful, I think, if you're looking for a middle-class Jewish mate. In fact, a friend of mine did.
-True: I tried to sign up for True, but when I said I was married, it said no can do.
-CupidUSA: little or no population. Pretty bad.
-Metrodate: not much of a population.
-Megafriends: pretty bad.
-Dreammates: pretty bad.
-Adult Friend Finder: seemingly for those looking for sex-oriented and/or kinky relationships.
-Kiss
-Iwantyou
-Datadate
-eHarmony
-Match Doctor [not a paysite]: no real population. Mostly an ad site for other sites.
-Love is a dog from Hell [defunct]: some interesting folk. Met a v. interesting woman from it.
-Friendster [not a paysite]: is this a dating website? I'm not sure, which is one reason I like it. It has a nice profile form, allowing a lot of info in a small space. I have received SpamWomen there, but not too many.
-Plenty of Fish [not a paysite]: a real mix. I've conversed with a number of people since joining maybe 3 or 4 months ago or so. Seems to be something of a haven for pay dating website vets. I can understand that.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/21/2005 4:01:36 PM
When you signup with true.com you agree that random bait emails will be sent to other members in the form of winks on your behalf... The suit against match.com says this is fraud, do you think it is?

If one agrees with it, and is a Term of the Service, then there should be no Issue with that.
If one doesn't agree with it, then he/she is completely free to leave the Site.
 sinceresweetclassy
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/21/2005 6:08:39 PM
I have on the other hand been with 2 dating cites at the same time..lol! lost alot of money from match.com.over $200.00! I thought there was something wrong with that site. A guy who was a paying member sent me an e-mail,and I could not read it because,I was not a paying member at that time. because,it was $30.00 a month.and I had already spent my share! but,I had to become a paying member to read his e-mail.and when I payed all his e-mail info appeared before my eyes.when before it said..blank blank@talkmatch.I could not e-mail him to get in touch with him. but,I think e-harmony is worse.they won't even put your picture on their cite or let you see any of your hopeful dates unless you pay the 50.00 a month! and they also told me I can't pick my age range I want..they pick out the age range,and height & weight.! I wanna pick my own guy out!
 sinceresweetclassy
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/21/2005 6:10:25 PM
But, I never had a problem with yahoo personals..didn't know about them untill now.
 TSO Mattlock
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/21/2005 6:21:20 PM
I tend to agree. My brother and I used to just have profiles but not paying. i got many winks and messages. it seemed when i joined the winks stoppd and so did the new profile matches. what we did was i joined Match and he did not. Everytime a new match came up he wrote them using my email. it worked for him. then I stopped and he became a paying memeber. I got lucky but his new matches again dried up. We tried this three times and got lucky then. most of the non luckt times I had to join to send a pic and the people never ever wrote back. I cheated again and used my brother's log on. i had better chats and email until I actually became a paid memeber.
 macguyver2
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 8:25:26 PM
On sea of love they once sent me a generic email and it was from my self when i hadn't been on that site for at least a few months, lol. I sent the customer service a email but they never responded.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/21/2005 9:25:50 PM
The person reading the message is under the impression that it is a legitimate email sent out by someone who is truely interested in seeing them. This is the only reason most people convert to paid. That is the part that is the part i would think is illegal.

Ok. So some trickery appears to be involved, and when they agree to the Terms of Service, they have no clue illegitimate e-mail is being sent out?

I was just curious what the exact point of Deceit was that prompted the Lawsuit.

i had a problem with true.com i recieved a wink and i winked back at the guy only to find he had never even winked at me at all.

Almost too funny. Their Computer System communicates on behalf of their Users ... lol

My brother and I used to just have profiles but not paying. i got many winks and messages. it seemed when i joined the winks stoppd and so did the new profile matches.

That sure appears to be deceitful marketing for the Purpose of getting your Money only.

yes i have also had this problem with true.com..eveyday i check my e mail and i have at least ten winks a day! from different people...no way i could be gettin that many ..funny how when i replyed got nothing back....

Yup, looks like computer-generated BS.

Good Luck to all who are involved persuing this Lawsuit !!!
 jon525
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 9:51:52 PM
I think this problem is much more wide spread than just these two.... I know that I have had some problems with other sites and replied to those in control with little or no actions... ehamory is another one they tried to shame me into a renew and they claim to be a Christian site,,,, just goes to show what the great almighty dollar does,, jon
 tall67
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/21/2005 10:08:10 PM
I'll tell you whats up... I had three people off of Yahoo alone one who contacted me out of the Blue and two that I contacted first, where as soon as we started chatting outside of the dating sites their Profiles disappeared! I would then visit the Site later and find the Same pictures from one of my previous "contacts" attached to a completely new profile. Its amazing really, what goes on in these supposedly secure sites.
 SANDE1
Msg: 126
Posted: 11/21/2005 10:19:10 PM
Interesting. POF is the only site I use, have tried others but lost interest really fast. POF, your the best.
 LongwayfromAK
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2005 10:21:09 PM
I definately had this issue with True.com. Even up here where the "odds are good, but the goods are odd", I was getting many winks. I was unreasonably skeptical, but seems rightly so.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >