Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 129
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 5 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
I have actually overheard bits of a Convo in a Restaurant this Evening making Reference to an Internet Dating Site Lawsuit.

Seems like the Word is getting around, and pay-sites are likely getting major Service Subscription Cancellations, and I doubt many will continue to send 'Sign-up baiting Winks' in light of the Class-Action Lawsuits in progress.

If you got any shares, good time to dump them ... cause the Gig is up ... !!!

A good Way to get even with those Sites that have ripped off any POF members would be to send your friends links to these News Sites the Admin has posted in the OP to stop this type of Fraud dead in its tracks from this point onwards.

Don't let your good friends get ripped off !!!
 maintguy045
Msg: 131
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/22/2005 7:56:41 AM
A good rule of thumb when using ANY dating site is to be VERY wary of any email you recieve from a member who is much younger then yourself...especially when it's a male recieving it from a female....it's just not reality...unless of course, you're a millionaire,rock star,or movie actor.....LOL......there may be one woman out of a thousand, if that, who sincerely prefers older men as potential matches........and beware of any email you recieve that does not use proper English syntax in the message.....in other words, if the wording is indicative of it coming from a foreigner.....and beware of anyone who emails you and provides a yahoo email addy as their contact info.......yahoo mail is a major harborer and abetter of this scamming trash....there's an old adage that I adhere to when dealing with the many personal ad sites that I am,and have been, a member of, that will go a long way in saving many a "green" member heartache and dissapointment,and that is "If it seems too good to be true, then it very most likely is"...Nuff said.....
 Patrick495
Msg: 132
Posted: 11/22/2005 9:05:28 AM
Wondering how I can become part of the suit? I signed up to Yahoo When I beautiful local lady winked at me. I then sent her a few different letters to no avail. I have also signed up now to Millionarire match (Successfull Match. com) where I have sent out about thirty letters without one single response. They should be brought to court as well.
 Dangerouschick
Msg: 133
Posted: 11/22/2005 10:08:12 AM
hi, tryed going to that link that someone else mentioned there was info on, you had to do a questionaire then give personal info after you click on the part that you were looking for, so I was like no thanks, exit. Just came across something on Msn this morning about it.

http://sympatico-msn-ca.com.com/Suit+claims+Match.com+set+up+fake+dates/2100-1038_3-5960986.html?part=sympatico-msn-ca&tag=ca_home&subj=ns_5960986
 Dangerouschick
Msg: 134
Posted: 11/22/2005 10:09:17 AM
hi, tryed going to that link that someone else mentioned there was info on, you had to do a questionaire then give personal info after you click on the part that you were looking for, so I was like no thanks, exit. Just came across something on Msn this morning about it.

http://sympatico-msn-ca.com.com/Suit+claims+Match.com+set+up+fake+dates/2100-1038_3-5960986.html
 Rembrandt400
Msg: 135
Posted: 11/22/2005 10:26:23 AM

The two sites in question, Match and Yahoo! are both in the top three overall personal sites. You would think, why would they be allegedly trying to acquire extra memberships as compared to start-up competitor sites? Ultimately it's all about greed. It's also bad enough getting contacted by women, mostly overseas (or men) who are looking to just scam you one way or another with their pseudo profile/pics.

I've investigated similar concerns with other pay sites including imatchup and loveaccess, and found them to have similar questionable tactics as they attempt to solicit (more) members. Case in point, I put up a 2nd profile, different from the first, and received a wink/and or email to both at the same time as did a friend of mine who also had a profile there. Of course, emails are not readable for non-members, but ultimately, generic emails were sent out proving that these administrators were not too smart in their haste to fraud the public.

Free sites like POF are a better option in truly knowing who is out there, albeit on a much smaller scale, even if they don't acknowledge you messages.
: (

Ticketoride
Msg: 137
Posted: 11/22/2005 1:06:28 PM
I know that all the adult sites do this stuff to lure u in.It really sucks if the legit ones do it also.Dating is hard enuf without them doing shit like that.

There are those that do nothing other than think up avenues of making "Quick Money" who have no conscience of anything or anyone else but themselves. Then they run as quickly as possible when caught. Well, Match.com & Yahoo are a little too big to run away I guess.

Never mind all the People that have been so severely upset and disillusioned by Dating Sites no wonder they want to quit the Scene. Maybe nothing wrong with dating Sites, just shrewd unethical Operators.

anyone who thinks that they are going to get a dime back is dreaming. First of all you may win your little suit but the money that you put into court costs and the expenses of getting to and from the court hearings are going to double the amount of money you get back from either site!! I mean how much money did it cost to sign up?? 25 bucks??

I doubt its a Monetary issue, but one of conscience and hanging Con-Artists out to dry.
 happygal_28
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2005 1:15:42 PM
I was an unpaid member on yahoo for less than a month. That was back in September. I deleted my entire yahoo account. Just out of curiosity, I logged on today (end of Nov) as a guy looking for a gal my age and, lo and behold, there was my exact profile including all my vitals, only with a new username! I wish I had known to change my profile to all blank before I deleted it. What a crock!!!
 merlinnj
Msg: 140
Posted: 11/22/2005 3:00:02 PM
If it's true - then it's the most ambitious bit of scamming I've ever heard of. Something about the complaint doesn't make sense to me. Why would Match or any paid site actually send women out on dates to keep a guy on the hook for a subscription? I've been on most of these sites including this one and I can't even get 10% of the women who say they are looking for a nice guy.. blah, blah, blah to even respond to my introduction. I'd probably enjoy a "fake" date - at least I'd feel I was getting some value for my money spent on these sites. LOL I'm cetainly not GQ, but geez I think I rate at least a reply - even if it's a no thank you after I took the time to say hello. I don't think that's much to ask for...or is it??

However, I certainly DO believe that there are many posts on EVERY dating site since the number of females to males on a dating site in insanely lopsided against the men. They would HAVE to pad the profiles to make us guys think there are unattached women out there to get us to give it a try. Well, those are my thoughts on the matter.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 141
Posted: 11/22/2005 3:00:30 PM

I have concluded that ALL sites including this one have fraudulent profiles on them. That said there is NO excuse for corporations to partipate in these frauds (for profit).

There may be an occasional fake profile that creeps in here, but there are two major differences with this site as compared to the others:

1) It's free. You are not being charged for its use, therefore, legally no fraud. And
2) There's a way to report them, and action does seem to happen in response to the reports.

Every site is going to have spammers, scammers, and other trolls that are messing with them. This is the slow-self-destruction of the Internet as a whole. The spammers have utterly ruined e-mail, and now they're out to ruin websites not their own.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 143
Posted: 11/22/2005 6:22:04 PM
Well, seriously how can we even prove that these sites are doing this. I think its ridiculous that this suit is going on.

It really doesn't matter. The lawsuit itself generates so much bad Publicity, that it causes far more damage to the bottom line than any Lawsuit possibly could.

Not only are Match.com & Yahoo under PR Assault, but every other Internet Dating Service who has been pulling the same sh*t is also brought under the same Loupe.

I have concluded that ALL sites including this one have fraudulent profiles on them.

We nab them the moment we catch Wind of any scams. Our Auto-filters are second to none to sniff out this type of non-sense.

- even if it's a no thank you after I took the time to say hello. I don't think that's much to ask for...or is it??

A lot of Ladies are also hit up by one too many Pervs and other Scumbags, or by those who turn rather psycho when she doesn't repond the way he would like her to. After a while they had enough of responding to anyone for a while. Seems like a few screw it up for the rest of us. Again, as we receive Reports on such Matters, WE ACT !!!!

2) There's a way to report them, and action does seem to happen in response to the reports.

You bet. You can count on it !!!!

The spammers have utterly ruined e-mail, and now they're out to ruin websites not their own.

So true, can no longer use my regular ISP E-Mail Address. 200 Spams daily.

You the user have to exercise caution, the reason you or I are easy marks is because we are looking for something. Scammers prey on this.

They know we watch closely ... not a whole lot of breathing Room here for them.

when I actually did subscribe and make contact with the people that emailed me,big surprise none of them heard of me,sure after I pay good money to join.

Seems like this is just the regular Biz Methology of every other Dating Site.
They all know it, we are just starting to catch on to it.

The worst one was Match.com. Fake profiles, They edit your E-Mails.

This is totally ludicrous.

they all had something on their profile about being a assistant for the site. so I finally called their number and talked to a customer Service rep and told him what was going on and he confirmed that they do that to, and that if they get you to join, they get a precentage of what ever you pay.

Perhaps the Law Firm representing the Class-Action Suit against Match.com or Yahoo has some internal Snitches employed willing to testify against them, willing to tell what it looks like from the Inside.

Keep your Stories coming Folks ...
 Killbride
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2005 6:45:03 PM
But can you even truly leave Yahoo Personals? I have tried countless times to remove my account to no avail. They lock you in somehow, and force you to be a part of the scheme.
It is a huge rip off, and I agree that they deliberately set you up for disappointment. There are attractive people on there that you couldn't even meet if you were a paying member. I doubt very much these examples are truly members. How could someone with an income of 100 grand be singleand looking on a pay site for a date? It is possible, but how realistic is it?
Give me a break. Hoax, hoax, hoax...BS, BS, BS..
Way to go for posting this PoF! Kudos for you!! They are scammers I tell you!

Not_so_obvious
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2005 6:57:12 PM
I have been a paying member on Americansingles.com, yahoo personals, match.com, e-harmony.com and now here. I have seen fraudulent members in all of them but e-harmony.
Unfortunately E-harmony S U C K S big time, and they are not fair either. I went weeks w/o a single match and only got matches towards the end of my billing period, wonder why?

I say use commonm sense. I went on a few dates and also got a lot of those " can you help me? I am in a hotel in (insert country here) and need your help to get back to the states and be with you because we are so compatible" emails.

I know those web sites inflate their member numbers with inactive, ex-members.
 caregiverontop
Msg: 146
Posted: 11/22/2005 7:13:32 PM
i am not stupid...i am from a rural area, put in a reasonble distance around my zip code and did fine...met several nice people, both on match.com amd plentyoffish .com. I had realistic expectations...some people with no personalty or redeeming factors at all ,are expecting miss america....class acton lawsuits like this are for those who want a quick buck for nothing....
 carribeanking7
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/22/2005 9:26:09 PM
I categorize this as executive trolling....

"make POF you site of choice"

Admin: do I get a free t-shirt for consistently promoting POF ??
 Ticketoride
Msg: 149
Posted: 11/22/2005 11:01:00 PM
do I get a free t-shirt for consistently promoting POF ??

You haven't met your quota of dragging enough dead corpses into the shop yet ...

Considering how rampant and widespread this form of abuse is among so many Dating Sites, I think its about time the Gov't steps in to investigate this type of Public Fraud.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 151
Posted: 11/23/2005 2:49:50 PM

heartdetectives.com IS the worst. They charged my credit card 3 times in one month .... Any site who uses ccbill.com as your billing company, BEWARE. If I can save 1 person money from joining this site I will be happy.

The "sexdatesnetwork" (18 domains) also uses CCBill. When I complained about the tactics of their client's web site, I certainly did not leave out the fact that if proven true, they would be an accessory to wire fraud, and thus also criminally as well as civilly liable. Similarly, the hosting provider could likewise be liable. No suit has been filed (yet) against these parties, including Mark Whrel, former spammer sued by AOL and the operator of "sexdates."

As for the charging of credit cards, debit cards, etc., after cancellation, other pay web sites (information providers, including but not limited to the genealogy sites) also seem to have this problem. Watch out in that some may try to "renew" the charge early - i.e. before the current subscription runs out. Advice: If you really need to pay for a subscription or buy something over the Internet, always use the card that is the soonest to expire. When cards are extended, the new expiration date is not always the same number of months from the old date. Additionally, (I called my bank on this one for the answer) cards expire on the first day of the month that marks their expiration if only a month and year are printed on it.

Example: A card bearing an expiration date of "12/2005" is good on 11/30/05, but not good on 12/01/05 - because it is considered expired as of midnight on the first of the month.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 154
Posted: 11/24/2005 1:33:30 PM
Some things on the Internet are Transitory, and I think 'Pay Dating Sites' is one of these. It comes and it goes, and many new Start-ups tried to get in on the Act while Internet Dating was at the Pinnacle of it's Success.

I have little Doubt most knew their Scamming Days were numbered, and it was just a Matter of cashing in on the 'Feeding Frenzy' while it lasted, getting just some of the 'Table Crumbs' from the bigger Hitters in Town, such as Match.com & Yahoo.

And that Time seems to have come, and as the Rollercoaster Ride starts to decend from its mighty Affluence, many will fold at the first Signs of a Class-Action Lawsuit, some will try to scramble away with the last few Bucks they can yank out of your wallets, and Credit Card Companies will place many under the Scope.

The House of Cards has begun to fall ...
 tickle_me123
Msg: 155
Posted: 11/25/2005 6:50:13 PM
And, when dating sites don't use fake info, they tend to stink. Take eHarmony (haven't seen anyone complain about it yet). They don't have enough people on the site for anyone to fit your criteria. And then, no one uses them. Is it really a wonder that dating sites scam you?

The following link has plenty of upset and a few satisfied eharmony and Match customers on it:

http://www.museworld.com/archives/001149.html

For the record, I joined Match for a year. I sent out several messages and never got one reply. I corresponded with a lady for a few mails who initiated contact with me. I never got any of the continuation emails or any solicitations from obviously "perfect matches." Perhaps it was because I cancelled my subscription a month before the membership expired and then resigned the site some time later and haven't been back.

For grins I did the eharmony questionaire, but never joined. They gave me one match that was so far out in left field that I never considered pursuing it. A couple of weeks later they basically closed down my account even though I still get spam from them every so often.

Like most other dating sites, this one seems to run about 70% men to 30% women, so I'm not even bothering to try the matching aspect. The forums are cool, though.
 tickle_me123
Msg: 156
Posted: 11/30/2005 3:45:08 PM
^ Yes, but only when I lived in a larger city. I was always amused by the admonition that if there is no one single at this address to pass it on to a single friend. Despite the fact that I've been chronically single, my trashcan enjoyed the company.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >