Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MeowDude
Msg: 74
paying on a first datePage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
each pay their own fare unless someone volunteers to pay for both....interesting to see women get cold feet or hesistant when it's check time....lol
 sayonara7
Msg: 77
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 11:56:29 AM
Okay so why would you date someone your not attracted to?Or are you just desperate?
 MeowDude
Msg: 78
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 12:49:54 PM
for sexual release....if the woman has an ok body...some fullness here or there then she is worth it for sexual release
 nofatgirlsplz
Msg: 79
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 12:51:59 PM
As If! The only time a man should pay for the date, is when it is considered a "down payment" on a little something something later. But since I dont have sex before marriage, u can rest assure ladies your paying your own way, or else your gonna be taking a cab home. Can I get a what what? LOL
 nofatgirlsplz
Msg: 81
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 1:11:40 PM
thats why i always ask her, "what do YOU want to do", so Im off the hook!
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 86
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 4:36:45 PM
IF I ask someone out, I will pay for both of us. I think that's fair enough.

If she asked me out, I would offer to split the bill with her. In some cases(most likely most), sure, i'll pay for both of us. Especially if I really like her and we are having a good time.

But, I cannot stand when a women expects me to pay. Like I am supposed too.

Picture this:

What if a girl asks you out. You accept, you guys go to a nice place, have a good time. Then, when the bill comes, she doesn't even bother to look at it or ask how much it is. She automatically assumes you have it covered. I guess part of this might have to do with the waiter usually setting the bill next to the guy at the table. If we had a good time, I will more than likely not have a problem with paying, but again, she asked, and so I assume she would take care of things for the evening. Or, even go Dutch. but, please donot expext me to pay upfront or say that i'm supposed to pay.

I'm just curious, how do lesbians handle the issue?
 Tbum2000
Msg: 87
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 4:44:11 PM
I always pay for dates. First thru last date. Not a power thing. Nice to meet someone new. Maybe you'll never ask this person out again, but I feel good about paying, and it makes a nice first meeting. Why worrry about money. If money is a problem, why date at all. First date could be a nice coffee shop. I can afford the $1.50. THis is about meeting someone new. I look forward to it. ......................jon................
 Polly_G
Msg: 88
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/15/2006 6:36:48 PM
I hate discussing things like money before a date. I do want him to pay but I usually come prepared. If he did things like, chose an expensive restaurant and things like that, I'd definately expect him to pay.

It's not like i'm not williing to do the same for him sometime down the road. I've taken guys out to nice dinners and footed the bill....but it wasn't the first date.

It's like this gesture of unselfishness that you get to appreciate back.
 nofatgirlsplz
Msg: 89
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/16/2006 7:51:01 AM
O I agree with tbum, a coffee shop is a great idea, if your shy, that caffein will jump start the motor mouths in both of you.
And what ever happened, to hey wanna go see a movie dutch style? If she says what do you mean dutch style? You say, "you know, you pay your way, and ill pay mine". You can start a discussion even on who should pay for the date . She might say something like, "you see this barbie doll figure of mine?" Ive never had to pay for a date yet. To which you respond, "ok doll, if you let me take that barbie doll figure for a test drive, ill be glad to pay your way, deal?". You see you can wheel and deal on dates before they even start. Or how bout this, she says, no kissing on the first date, lets go out as friends, to which you counter her offer by saying, i say we start out having wild monkey sex, and see where it goes from there. (dont forget to mention that you are just negotiating here, like in every other thing in life). Perhaps you both can meet somewhere in the middle!
 nofatgirlsplz
Msg: 91
paying on a first date
Posted: 5/17/2006 10:54:20 AM

I am not paying for anything sorry.
from message 80. If forums4u and i went on a date, I think it would go something like this when its time to pay..."I left my wallet in the car, Ill be right back" (vaaarrrrroooooooooommmmmmm)
 Pete73052
Msg: 104
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/9/2006 3:40:20 PM
I don't mind paying for the first and subsequent dates. I can afford it and it takes any perceived pressure off. If she invites me and says it's her treat, I'll, of course, let her pay - but even then I'll catch the tip and the bar tab. Why sweat stupid stuff like this?
 Dany1180
Msg: 105
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/9/2006 3:46:01 PM
I usually pay on a first date and will gladly do so when it's with someone I really enjoyed my time with and/or with whom I felt a connection or chemistry. If the girl is genuine, likeable and fun to be with, then in my mind she deserves it and I have no qualms with pulling out the wallet and getting the bill. It's my way of saying to her thanks for being just the way she is and thank you for the wonderful evening, especially in this day and age when a really nice girl is not an easy find. Basically it's a way of showing appreciation in my opinion.
Unfortunately I might sometimes still end up paying even if it's someone I didn't like or didn't have any chemistry with. Usually in those cases she'll offer to pay her share but out of habit/stupidity/politeness/pity (the reason varies depending on the circumstances) I might sometimes still insist on paying for the whole thing and will most likely end up doing it in those cases.

I don't know why and I really should stop it because I end up regretting it.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 109
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/9/2006 10:29:19 PM
So, if two lesbians went out for a 1st date, who do you think should pay?

And if two gay guys went out on a 1st date, who do you think should pay?

Dany1180
Msg: 110
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/10/2006 5:55:33 PM
Get over yourself, deal4me.

Adnan
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 118
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/12/2006 9:16:34 AM
I think it's funny for the people who say, "I will offer to pay but if she/he actually let's me pay then there won't be a second date."

Why offer to pay then? Why play the game in the 1st place? No second date? Well, I say so long. I am obviously better off without you anyways.

If you can't be upfront and are still playing games like this, your obviously too immature for me to be dating anyways.

On that note, have your 1st meeting be casual like coffee or drinks, or meet at the park, or whatever. Don't meet at a 4 star resturant if who pays 1st is such a big issue for you.

So far I always pay 1st. If she offers, I atleast offer/insists on paying. If she insists I say let's go half.

Besides, before you get to the point where buying a person a meal is such a big deal, go for $1.30 per cup of coffee, talk, break the ice, and see if your into the person. Otherwise, quite B*tching about it.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 123
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/13/2006 11:42:26 AM
^^^^umm, iris37, honestly, I wasn't referring to you or trying to accuse you of anything. I don't even remember what your posts were about. I was not accusing you of being a game player. I am sorry you took offense to my post.

As far as me personally, yes, I believe in chivarly and romance, and yes, I pay on the 1st date. That is not a big deal to me.

Also, I have had women offer to pay for the 1st date and some even insisted on splitting the bill. As far as them probably not being into me, I am sure that has been the case on occassion, just like there are times when I was not into them. There have also been times when they offered to pay and we have went on a second, third, and many more dates. So, I guess it depends on the person.

Also, maybe I did glance at your post and in the back of my mind I was thinking of it when I made my post, but I also saw something in another thread and on another forum even that was made by a few people regarding the same issue. That is most like what I was thinking of when I made my post, as I was not thinking of you specifically iris37.

So again, sorry if I offended or upset anyone.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 125
view profile
History
paying on a first date
Posted: 7/13/2006 12:24:49 PM
Hey iris37, no hard feelings. Just alittle misunderstand but it's no biggie.

BTW, I sneaked a peak at your profile and it's really cool. Maybe in another life, in another place, at another time, we could have been friends. LOL.

But seriously, no harm done. Cool profile. Hope to see you around the forums for somemore fun (and maybe not so fun, LOL) debates

-ChicagoStyle
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >