Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreenEyesGoldenLocks
Msg: 102
Live within 75 miles??Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
75 miles is the only way I can include the hotties from canada without letting the wierdos from dubai who want you to send money contact me. its really a simple solution if someone cant contact you they can still add you as a friend, some of us actually look at our favorites and send greetings.. then door is open if they want to chat... I suppose they could also find a thread you post in and say hello there.. if they are brave :-)
 kevgeez
Msg: 103
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/18/2009 11:34:51 PM
Well I can understand the ladies that do the restrictions.
I am considering it myself.
I keep meeting really nice women online that live way out of my reach.
And it REALLY sucks.
Right now i really like a girl that lives 500 miles from me, and i have no way to see her when i want. It sucks because she is perfect for me.

It makes me wish i never met her online.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/19/2009 12:14:43 PM
Dude that kinda sucks. If she's near me, I'll date her and we'll keep you in mind, bud. I think that the right answer is not to block people who are far away, or who might not be a match. Just check the profile when you've been chatting with someone to make sure that you don't develop feelings for some nice girl in Abu Dhabi or something. LDR's don't work, in most cases. It's a shame that so many high school flames and even military marriages fail because of distance, but it's an insurmountable obstacle for all by the fattest of people.

I just don't understand 23 year old women who rule out receiving messages from guys older than 25. Do I block messages from guys older than 25? Hell no, anyone can message me about anything, so have it.
 gymgeek
Msg: 105
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/19/2009 1:42:59 PM
I do it to keep away the scammers. I recently changed it back to the default and guess what a few days later another scammer tried to contact me. I will probably change it back to 75 miles soon enough.
 tongue-untied
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/19/2009 2:22:57 PM
This ia an interesting topic....In this day and age, I could meet some woman virtually anywhere in the world, although I would rather meet a girl close to home... Like one poster commented, he has met a woman online that he thinks is perfect for him...but the contraints of the travel hamper his meeting her face to face, and being in a committed relationship means being able to meet face to face....Sure, the Internet is great and I've met alot of wonderful ppl, as well as some creeps, but when it comes down to it, the face to face is the game maker/breaker... we all can connect electronically through this thing called the Internet, but when it comes down to it, the actual person to person meeting is what its all about...because I could be lying through my profile teeth just to get someone interested in me, if I was that way....Unfortunately, there are many who abuse this and it really prevents me from pursuing a relationship when perhaps there is deception involved... and the only way you find out about it is the face to face meeting... Because if I meet my soulmate online, it's not like our computers are going to get married, is it???

Any comments????
 southernlady1840
Msg: 108
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:44:29 AM
you have hit the nail on the head and I too have seen many profiles like that.... chances are if they are within a 100 mile radius of your home and you are still single Mr. or Ms .right is not in your area... by setting a distance like that you are limiting yourself... I guess we all to some extent have limits we will go but be reasonable about it I usually keep mine within a 3 state distance but am not opposed to farther locals they just will require more plannning and patience....
 lovemyorchidtattoo
Msg: 109
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:56:35 AM
I had the 75 mile limit on my profile mainy because I prefer to meet someone that's close enough to meet. Mostly what I seem to attract are men that live 3000 + miles away and at this point in my life I am not able to fly to meet them and I feel it's too much to ask for them to fly and meet me. And having gone through the hurt of making plans to meet someone that lives in NC and then having them tell me a few days before that they couldn't make it... well I don't want to go through that again. I recently took that restriction off because of a point someone made in another thread.... lets hope it hold true.
 aindlifgrand
Msg: 110
Unfortunately I'm in agreement with you
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:08:21 AM
I did a two year/500 mile/ long distance relationship. I married "prince charming"; only to find out he was someone I didn't know.

People can be on their best behaviour all weekend, and even throughout vacations.
If you don't get to see them interacting with family and friends on a regular basis; and don't get a good concept of what they are doing in their lives every day it doesn't matter what you think you know. You don't know enough.

Its too easy to make things appear to be something they aren't. Especially when it only has to be presented intermittently.

I was not aware that the 75 mile notation restricted contact from those further away; but really if you mean it........why waste anyone's time?
 gidap
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/22/2009 7:19:41 PM
Ya can't ditch someone who cannot contact ya,, stupid 75 mile rule,, Theres a gal on here set up here profile in one location,, then moved,, and now lives just down the road, and I can't talk to her,,, probably the same for umpteen other guys.
While she sits home wonderin why she gets no local interest, or, any interest! cuz
fellas from her old locale see she is more than 75 miles.. 75 miles BE DAMNED!
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 112
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:21:02 PM
If someone is willing and able to come to me for a meeting then I'm all for it, but I'm not in a financial position to travel a long distance. I was once communicating with a guy who lives in Portland, OR and well...I gave up on that because of the great distance. Air fare is astronomical and he was in no position to fly here where I am any more than I was able to go there. So it was fruitless to even try.
 sweetlikesugarcane
Msg: 113
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/22/2009 11:00:44 PM
My last relationship was long distance.

I didn't like him that much so it worked out well....
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 115
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/23/2009 11:08:17 AM
Some people don't want a long-distance relationship. I've been in a few and it's not easy when the girl is far away.

You could change your location to where the woman with such a restriction lives, but chances are she's going to want to have several dates and a lot of time together before getting serious about a guy. Unless you have a lot of money or frequent flier miles, then a lot of it is going to be done far apart.

el lagarto
Msg: 116
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/24/2009 2:40:01 PM
Even though I have little interest in long distance relationships ( tried it - no fun ! ) , I left the restrictions open , because living here in Florida , there are always people planning to move here , and I never know when someone who contacts me from far away may be one of them !
 LoriIsLoLo
Msg: 117
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/24/2009 11:09:27 PM
I would actually prefer someone even closer than 75 miles. I have no desire to drive over an hour to meet for dinner. Beside being that far away really doesn't allow for even quick get togethers.
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 118
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/25/2009 6:45:20 AM

LorilsLoLo:
I would actually prefer someone even closer than 75 miles. I have no desire to drive over an hour to meet for dinner. Beside being that far away really doesn't allow for even quick get togethers.

I'm totally with you on this one. POF's two options (on limiting those who can write to you first) are 75 miles and worldwide. Even 50 miles would be a bit of a stretch, but within 25 miles wouldn't be a problem.

ForRumOnly
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/25/2009 9:04:17 AM
Close by is wonderful - if you can find someone compatible who's available when you're looking. That didn't seem to happen for me. If you can handle distance and travel, then it's worth looking farther - many cannot, or won't, which is their prerogative. My most compatible, best dates and best relationships were 8000, 180, and 100 miles away. One of those "nearer" ones worked out, marvelously!
 xemilystrangex
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 9:44:19 AM
I'm lazy. I hate driving. Even 75 miles is a huge distance for someone who doesn't even like to leave the house too much. I don't go to bars or clubs often, and if I do, I certainly don't attempt to pick up men there. If I go out shopping I shop. I'm sure I still have a rather large selection of suitors in my general comfort zone...just not any of the ones that like doing stuff. I HATE doing stuff. Trying new things...pass on that too. Well ok, maybe i'll try a couple of new things. I want a guy who will sit on the couch, drink beer with me, and avoid the public at all costs. Is this a hopeless endeavor...?
 tayl0rd
Msg: 121
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 2:23:18 PM
Good one, xemilystrangex! For a few seconds there, you had me going!
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 3:21:32 PM
75 miles distance isn't too far to meet someone initially, but if you plan on having a more committed relationship, eventually one of you needs to move closer. Hell, I'd talk to and meet a woman from the West Coast, Canada or the UK if we really hit it off. Any sort of long distance thing can work at the beginning, as the geography need only be a temporary obstacle. But at some point you need to close that gap if you're going to take it further.
 Wibnix
Msg: 123
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 3:26:09 PM
As I mentioned in another thread (that hopefully will be deleted) scammers from other countries can't contact you if you set the limit at 75. Hell, I've had dates in my own town that I wanted over ASAP, I can't even imagine meeting someone you have to fly to another state for. If it doesn't work out you're basically F*CKED!!! I would never even try that.

75 is too far away for me, but it's either that or 2000 miles. Doesn't matter anyway-- I have found the perfect one for me.
 xemilystrangex
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:16:15 PM
Sadly i'm not kidding in the least. Hence trolling the internet lookin for dudes.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 125
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:51:15 PM
~OT~ Distance didn't used to bother me. Today? Not an option. 75 miles is not "distant" (at least in the world I live in.) JMO
 Karaokebear
Msg: 126
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 7:05:18 PM
Mixed emotions...I have met wonderful people long distance. My Dad and Stepmom met on the low-tech version of what became on-line dating (Christian Singles newsletters where people posted profiles, we're talking the 80s). They're still together after 25 years. Advantages (and this from a young couple I know who met online and lived 200 miles away)
is possibly the chance to get to know each others liks, dislikes, child rearing attitudes, etc., without the rush of "I want to jump your bones NOW". A disadvantage is there is little opportunity for time together, and add kids, grandkids, work, activities and time you both want to spend with other friends and family, it gets difficult. At least there's the internet, texting and free long distance but that doesn't make it the same as an in-person relationship.

Well before automobiles and planes, couples used to meet, fall in love and keep the species going. Why is it so difficult today.

On the other hand, any nice ladies in Florida?
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 127
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 7:36:52 PM

Why limit yourself to your own city? the planet is huge and has over 6 billion of us. If you have not found your mate in your 75 mile circle...why not expand?

Sure... why not expand if you're willing to put up with what it's going to take. Go to the grocery store and buy a quantity of your favorite food, and put it in the refrigerator. Once a week, go into the fridge and take out a very small piece and eat it, and put the rest back. The following week, do the same.

In between the samplings, open the refrigerator and look at the food, even talk to it but do NOT touch it. Then close the door, and repeat as often as necessary.

Once in a while, perhaps every month, take out the food and cook up a whole bunch of it and eat as much as you want to.

You will find yourself slowly starving to death, but as long as you don't mind that "feeling of the inevitable" then sure, why not get involved with a person that you might see only once or twice a month at best, as opposed to meeting someone in your own city that you could see a few times per week?
 jerrick1962
Msg: 129
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 9:23:04 PM
I agree & I don't see males profiles but it's on almost every female profile along with no intimate encounters. Well, if you don't want intimate encounters what better way that to live farther away.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >