Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 118
Live within 75 miles??Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

LorilsLoLo:
I would actually prefer someone even closer than 75 miles. I have no desire to drive over an hour to meet for dinner. Beside being that far away really doesn't allow for even quick get togethers.

I'm totally with you on this one. POF's two options (on limiting those who can write to you first) are 75 miles and worldwide. Even 50 miles would be a bit of a stretch, but within 25 miles wouldn't be a problem.

ForRumOnly
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/25/2009 9:04:17 AM
Close by is wonderful - if you can find someone compatible who's available when you're looking. That didn't seem to happen for me. If you can handle distance and travel, then it's worth looking farther - many cannot, or won't, which is their prerogative. My most compatible, best dates and best relationships were 8000, 180, and 100 miles away. One of those "nearer" ones worked out, marvelously!
 xemilystrangex
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 9:44:19 AM
I'm lazy. I hate driving. Even 75 miles is a huge distance for someone who doesn't even like to leave the house too much. I don't go to bars or clubs often, and if I do, I certainly don't attempt to pick up men there. If I go out shopping I shop. I'm sure I still have a rather large selection of suitors in my general comfort zone...just not any of the ones that like doing stuff. I HATE doing stuff. Trying new things...pass on that too. Well ok, maybe i'll try a couple of new things. I want a guy who will sit on the couch, drink beer with me, and avoid the public at all costs. Is this a hopeless endeavor...?
 tayl0rd
Msg: 121
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 2:23:18 PM
Good one, xemilystrangex! For a few seconds there, you had me going!
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 3:21:32 PM
75 miles distance isn't too far to meet someone initially, but if you plan on having a more committed relationship, eventually one of you needs to move closer. Hell, I'd talk to and meet a woman from the West Coast, Canada or the UK if we really hit it off. Any sort of long distance thing can work at the beginning, as the geography need only be a temporary obstacle. But at some point you need to close that gap if you're going to take it further.
 Wibnix
Msg: 123
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 3:26:09 PM
As I mentioned in another thread (that hopefully will be deleted) scammers from other countries can't contact you if you set the limit at 75. Hell, I've had dates in my own town that I wanted over ASAP, I can't even imagine meeting someone you have to fly to another state for. If it doesn't work out you're basically F*CKED!!! I would never even try that.

75 is too far away for me, but it's either that or 2000 miles. Doesn't matter anyway-- I have found the perfect one for me.
 xemilystrangex
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:16:15 PM
Sadly i'm not kidding in the least. Hence trolling the internet lookin for dudes.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 125
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:51:15 PM
~OT~ Distance didn't used to bother me. Today? Not an option. 75 miles is not "distant" (at least in the world I live in.) JMO
 Karaokebear
Msg: 126
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 7:05:18 PM
Mixed emotions...I have met wonderful people long distance. My Dad and Stepmom met on the low-tech version of what became on-line dating (Christian Singles newsletters where people posted profiles, we're talking the 80s). They're still together after 25 years. Advantages (and this from a young couple I know who met online and lived 200 miles away)
is possibly the chance to get to know each others liks, dislikes, child rearing attitudes, etc., without the rush of "I want to jump your bones NOW". A disadvantage is there is little opportunity for time together, and add kids, grandkids, work, activities and time you both want to spend with other friends and family, it gets difficult. At least there's the internet, texting and free long distance but that doesn't make it the same as an in-person relationship.

Well before automobiles and planes, couples used to meet, fall in love and keep the species going. Why is it so difficult today.

On the other hand, any nice ladies in Florida?
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 127
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 7:36:52 PM

Why limit yourself to your own city? the planet is huge and has over 6 billion of us. If you have not found your mate in your 75 mile circle...why not expand?

Sure... why not expand if you're willing to put up with what it's going to take. Go to the grocery store and buy a quantity of your favorite food, and put it in the refrigerator. Once a week, go into the fridge and take out a very small piece and eat it, and put the rest back. The following week, do the same.

In between the samplings, open the refrigerator and look at the food, even talk to it but do NOT touch it. Then close the door, and repeat as often as necessary.

Once in a while, perhaps every month, take out the food and cook up a whole bunch of it and eat as much as you want to.

You will find yourself slowly starving to death, but as long as you don't mind that "feeling of the inevitable" then sure, why not get involved with a person that you might see only once or twice a month at best, as opposed to meeting someone in your own city that you could see a few times per week?
 jerrick1962
Msg: 129
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/26/2009 9:23:04 PM
I agree & I don't see males profiles but it's on almost every female profile along with no intimate encounters. Well, if you don't want intimate encounters what better way that to live farther away.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 130
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 12:28:02 AM
if the commute requires frequent flier miles,.... well how often are you going to meet anyways?
 ohjees
Msg: 131
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 4:35:58 AM
I don't have a limit on distance with regards to people being allowed to message me... but I usually won't be interested in anyone further than 25 miles- and that's pushing it. I typically only search within 15 miles. Too many long distance relationships in my history.
 S.O.U.L
Msg: 132
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 1:07:27 PM
I haven't personally set a distance requirement but I'm very reluctant to contact anyone beyond 25 miles. From my own experience, I was the one who did all the driving and then to add paying for the date on top of it...no thanks.

I have three supermarkets where I live. One is 2 minutes away, the other one is 5 minutes away, and the last one is 10 minutes away. All the merchandise is the same price and quality...so why would I drive to the supermarket that is 10 minutes away when I can just go to the one that is 2 minute away. Plus the one that is two minutes away is open 24 hours.
 want to travel
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 1:19:24 PM
where do you people live 75 k is nothing, my sister lives farther than that and i live in windsor detroit
 wishingwell555
Msg: 134
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 2:06:15 PM
People are set in their ways and they want someone within 75 miles.
True love is not what everyone is seeking here and some do not
go the limits for finding True love even when they say they are looking
for it.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 135
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 2:14:12 PM

I have three supermarkets where I live. One is 2 minutes away, the other one is 5 minutes away, and the last one is 10 minutes away. All the merchandise is the same price and quality...so why would I drive to the supermarket that is 10 minutes away when I can just go to the one that is 2 minute away. Plus the one that is two minutes away is open 24 hours.

I agree with S.O.U.L. Atlanta is a big city with a large pool of singles to choose from. I neither need to, nor choose to look any farther than my own city.
 LoriIsLoLo
Msg: 136
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 4:10:33 PM
WishingWell it's not about whether or not you're looking for true love...it's about being realistic. 75 miles in the traffic in my area is a 2 hour ordeal or more, depending on the time of day. I work 6-6 M-F. Alot of people work crazy hours or have other obligations too that would not make dating someone far away practical, it doesn't mean we are looking for anything less than true love
 Nettexface
Msg: 137
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 6:38:14 PM
You know what, I had that 75 mile limit on my profile only because I've been carless this past year, and I felt it'd be an inconvenience to EXPECT the guy to drive all that way just to see me for a date or to even just meet, but you are very right on this matter, and since I am really just looking for friends as well, I think I'm going to change that 75 mile limit. thanks for the insight.
 Icon5
Msg: 138
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/27/2009 9:20:57 PM
I limit myself simply because gas aint cheap...and neither are plane tickets.
 elitemind
Msg: 139
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/30/2009 6:50:34 AM
I believe that alot of situations are different, for instance I live in a very small town and there's hardly anyone within 75 miles of where I live.
I dont like setting any restrictions regarding distance just because you never know if that one right person is just 76 miles away but they cannot contact you.

I know the gas is expensive and the traveling is a bore, but really if you truely are seeking happiness with a potential mate than in the end you will be together.

I have noticed quite a few women with a restriction of the 75 miles and Quite honestly it does tend to aggrevate me just a little because For all they know you just may be their cup of tea but they have no way of knowing that because of the barrier they've placed on their profile.

But in the end, whats meant to be will be.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!
 Music in Season
Msg: 140
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:21:16 AM
I find travel stressful and I don't feel it would be fair to expect the other person to do all the traveling. In order to build a relationship with someone, you must be able to spend enough time together and living reasonably close to each other makes it more convenient to do so.
 tayl0rd
Msg: 142
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/1/2010 7:53:44 PM

golden moon rose said:
I agree with S.O.U.L. Atlanta is a big city with a large pool of singles to choose from. I neither need to, nor choose to look any farther than my own city.

Geeze! If you guys are that frickin' sorry, why are you even on an online dating site???

Oh. Nevermind.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/2/2010 12:28:56 AM
I had a 50 mile limit on my yahoo profile but was contacted by a man who was a 2 hr drive away. We had our first date a week or two later and are now in an exclusive relationship. I think I at one time even had listed not looking for a LDR but things are working out great. Although not seeing each other as often as we would like can be hard but then it's even better when we do. I agree with the saying absence makes the heart grow fonder. If it doesn't then the real love is not there. Infatuation fades love doesn't. As far as trusting that's the most important thing that seems to be missing in most relationships. If they are going to cheat they will do it whether you are far away or near.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 144
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 1/2/2010 6:12:47 PM

Geeze! If you guys are that frickin' sorry, why are you even on an online dating site???

Believe it or not, there are plenty of POF members right here in Atlanta.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >