Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jessika2908
Msg: 26
would you date someone who is handicaped?Page 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Vegandude agree totally!!

Your legs or any other physical problem someone has is not directly connected to there heart. It is sad that people think that way.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 27
would you date someone who is handicaped?
Posted: 11/28/2005 4:43:15 PM
I know a very lovely woman here on POF who some people would think is handicapped, but I'd date her without any hesitation. She is about the most real, down to earth woman I have ever known and has feelings, desires and dreams just like everyone else!
 jimb77
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/28/2005 8:28:41 PM
depends how severe, I would never leave a wife due to a handicap after marriage though. I guess I was the one who paid attention to the vows
 cgrcry
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/29/2005 4:55:02 PM
my answer to this question is that there have been many men who have not wanted to date me because of my disabilities. there are also men who have been "willing" to date me but not in venues where their friends would see us. there have been men who chased me because they couldn't believe a disabled woman could do ______(whatever i was doing). incredibly, there have even been a few who have not wanted to date me because they didn't like me - imagine that! bless all of you, but this debate(?) in whole shows more about what's wrong than anything else. (lest the smarta$$e$ take advantage of my omission, of course i have loved and been loved. )
 bds4711
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/29/2005 5:20:07 PM
Depends on the handicap most likely. I like to be active and do active things. If a person would be unable to join me in doing those things, I would probably not be very interested.

I know some people who, despite being stuck in a wheelchair, that can climb most mountains. I would not have a problem dating someone like that.
 Venomous
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/29/2005 6:09:11 PM
Love comes in all shapes and sizes, and no one ever said that the box it's shipped in is perfect in every way. In that sense no ones perfect, whether it be a phisical defection or otherwise. I'd gladly date a woman with a handicapt as long as it's not mental retardation.
I know it may sound shallow to some people, but unless theres good communication it would never work.

-Venomous
 picker_grinner
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/1/2005 6:33:07 PM
I think if you get right down to it EVERYONE has a handicap of one type or another since I've never heard of any perfect human beings. But since I'm not perfect I could be wrong.
 NHGUY70
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/2/2005 7:42:05 AM
aaaabbbbbbbbbbba
 hairybum
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/2/2005 11:35:52 PM
Absolutely. And if I need to help him physically I believe it would bring us closer together.
 picker_grinner
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/3/2005 6:55:40 AM
Trash your lists, trust your gut.
 UrbanMyth
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/3/2005 6:04:29 PM
Well..if she is mentally fine, then absolutely yes, because she is probably for sane then 90% of the women out there. And to AbH...good on you! Your attitude ROCKS!
 KrazyKatt
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:45:00 PM
Depends on the circumstances surrounding it. I know that's sort of shallow, but I'm not going to lie and sugarcoat it. I've taken care of those that were severly handicaped and I don't think I want the issues that seem to come hand in hand. Guess I'm selfish..
 Vince1214
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:55:39 PM
Most definitely. There is nothing unattractive about a person who is handicapped, unless she is bitter about her handicap. Everybody has something wrong with him/herself that presents itself as a handicap of one form or another--yes, even the "beautiful people" have issues to contend with. So, pigeonholing someone who has a physical handicap and deciding that she is unattractive because of it? Talk about shallow. I hate to be cliche, but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
 gotaman
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:57:23 PM
I think if you get right down to it EVERYONE has a handicap of one type or another since I've never heard of any perfect human beings. But since I'm not perfect I could be wrong.

I couldn't agree with this statement any more! If you really get down to it, the term "handicapped" is rather offensive to me personally! I have a sister, who's hearing impaired and other people within my family who are disabled. I just love when able bodied folks, pity my loved ones. My sister has her sh!t together and is living a wonderful life. She has to rely on some modern technologies that most folks don't (like her TDD). But the things she relies upon makes her life a little bit easier. I have learned so much about life and the things that most folks take for granted from my family members who don't have those things. If the right man were to come along, I know I could see beyond any disablilty. Who is to say any of us won't step in front of a car tomorrow and be changed for ever as a result???? Wouldn't you like to think someone would still love you despite it? Just my 2 cents!!!
 triplebp
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2005 8:58:30 PM
Ok there are a lot of insensitive people out there that obviously did not read this whole thread through.

ABH I'm glad to see you are upbeat. At 19 1000lbs of steal fell on my legs and although it did not leave me in a chair it did it's damage. I was offered several times a parking permit but I always thought I can walk why would I need that? So never took one. Now 21 years later you can hardly tell when you see me.
Now at forty I have what the Dr.s are calling another disability, please. So What I had a couple of heart attacks that needed surgery to fix me up, hence the name. I still do not want a permit.
What does bug me though is people that have these permits in their cars that park here and I cannot see any disability with them. Sure they may be like me or have breathing troubles but not all of them, some are just family members taking advantage. This really bugs me however, now in Ontario anyway the laws are a changing. Even people like me will not always qualify. Let's see how easily these people get by without their preferred parking permit.

Allan your a good man too.

Anyway enough of the rant the answer is yes for me and to all of the ones that are honest and admit it is hard good for you. At least you are honest.
 triplebp
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2005 9:49:27 PM
Allan she is probably one of the people using her aunts permit to park while Xmas shopping.
What do you think??
 Linguatic
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/3/2005 10:14:27 PM
A physical handicap would be a negative, but not a deal-breaker, so it could be offset by other positives. Coincidentally, I just finished reading one of the perennial short men, BBW women threads, and there was a strong recurring theme among women seeking men who are at least six inches taller than them. That would limit chairbound men to dating only dwarves...
 In Your Dreams
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:32:52 AM
If their disability meant a lack of mobility like walking with a cane, being in a wheelchair, I would not date this person. That's just me.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2005 8:04:44 AM
in your dreams- at age 76 perhaps your cane is not far around the corner??.... then expect others to not date you too!
 Wild Artist
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/4/2005 9:17:52 AM
Exactly SmartAlec,

Too many times people say they won't date someone with special needs, but what happens when life gives them a special need, do they just curl up and die?

Life gives us all challenges, who am I to say anyone is not worth my time? the best date I had was with a Quadgiplegic (sp), so I am open to everyone that I can meet.
 Alone but happy
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/4/2005 1:52:20 PM
c7t1....I hear what you are saying, for sure, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I for one, believe that post was unwarranted, but if it is what she feels, then so be it. Turn the other cheek - that is a tough thing to do, (and believe me, I went off on good old Burroughs, only to have that post deleted).

I guess the bottom line is that there are people that would classify being wheelchair bound a deterrent, and that is a fair statment.
 samappliance
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/4/2005 2:50:43 PM
Given the fact that these unscrupulous people never divulge their disability in profile you will have no choice to date them at least once. Integrity. Integrity means all in one piece. Something to think about.
 Wild Artist
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:42:56 PM

Integrity means all in one piece.

in·teg·ri·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-tgr-t)
n.
Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.

I have never seen anyone come in 2 or more pieces. All people I have met have been in one piece. Just because they don't have the same shape as you or have equipment to help them doesn't mean they have no integrity. My ears are in one piece, they even have more to the eardrum than most people. But they don't work as well as other people ears so I have hearing aids. I am more than just my level of hearing and if a man shows an interest in getting to know me I will tell them about my hearing loss, but I refuse to post it on my profile for the shallow people to use against me. I have more integrity than most "normal" people. I have morals that prevent me from being a selfish, prejudice person that has nothing more to do than bash people who aren't "normal". There is so much more important about a person than what their body looks like or works like.

So back on topic. Yes I would date people with a disability, unless their disability is a narrow mind.
 samappliance
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:51:34 PM
Well, you just provided an incomplete definition of integrity. You are morally bankrupt.

in·teg·ri·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-tgr-t)
n.
Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.
 Wild Artist
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:32:33 PM

Well, you just provided an incomplete definition of integrity. You are morally bankrupt.

I figured if you could change it to say what you wanted I could just post the part I wanted.

If you feel the need to look at the definition in the physical sense there isn't a person with integrity alive we all have a brain divided into 2 parts, we have a heart divided into 4 sections, we have arms, legs, fingers, and toes, that are divided. Furthermore, if I get a hair cut or cut my nails, does that mean I have no integrity? It is dividing what grows on my body naturally from the rest of me. What about people that are born without a limb, they are still whole in their being so they never lose any integrity. Only the people that have part of their body removed after birth have no integrity.

As you will most likely agree, this post makes no sense. Everyone with half a brain knows integrity has nothing to do with the physical body.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?