Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raven970
Msg: 51
view profile
History
would you date someone who is handicaped?Page 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Yes I would and I have......
I have known him for about 10 years, and altho our situations prevent us from being together, I still love him, and would be with him in a heartbeat, if he chose to be with me......His being handicapped has nothing to do with it.
It is the inner soul and person I love, having nothing to do with the outside of him.
I am richer in my life from having known him.
 webdesignguy
Msg: 52
would you date someone who is handicaped?
Posted: 12/5/2005 12:03:15 AM
Not to be rude to the guy who wrote the subject, but it's actually a very shallow, and somewhat idiotic question. A person who is physically handicapped has absolutely no problem challenging you mentally right? So isn't that what a soulmate is supposed to do? It really doesn't matter if she's only got on leg, or lacks the use of her lower body. Just asking this question leads me to believe that you are worried more about what people will think of you for choosing to date a "handicapped person", rather than your own happiness.

So to answer you question my answer would be yes, as long as we were compatible. One thing this question is very good for is to truely test yourself. Everyone should ask themselves this question to determine the depth of your characture. Anyway good luck everyone. I love all of you.
 TequilaSunRise!
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/5/2005 1:54:03 AM
I actually agree with a lot of the people replying....However I strongly believe in what coastar girl said. If you are attractive to the man why does his handicap bother you. But in a way i'm with rainbow fish. I have had so many friends and family die because of a handicap and burring someone again....would hurt even more. For example I have a cousin who was born with polo..and walks funny and holds his hand weird...however he found a girl that loved him for him....but me being his cousin I have a right to say this he pushes his handicap. Basically I'm saying he gets out and works a 10 hour shift job everyday but if he is feeling lazy one day his excuse is im handicap....and then I have a cousin who was in a car accident 8 years ago and I just had to burry him 6 days before the birth of my child. he sat up a bed sore and a staf infection and it killed him....and actually today is the 2 month annivesary of his death :( RIP but see....in ways people dont have a problem with it becuase it is something you can look past.....however when you have to burry someone you realyl love from something that happened to that person......you will thank twice...........
 CaseyRex
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/5/2005 3:20:25 AM
i would. i have a friend that is handicaped since he was born and that hasnt stopped him from dating. when i say he's hanicaped i mean he doesnt have the use of his arms or legs but that has not stopped him from going for his dreams. i know i have "ADD" and its really not a problem and i have crappy legs that love to give out on me at random occasions. dont know if u would call that a handicape but it is when it happens. but ya i would date someone with a handicape.
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/5/2005 8:03:30 AM
I dated a man when I was a freshman in college who was incredibly sexy and successful. I couldnt give two craps if he had a very pronounced limp. I never asked him "why" and we had a really fun summer together!!! The relationship ended because he was given a full scholastic scholarship to U of M and was moving an hour away.
 smoochiepooches
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:28:53 AM
I had a date once off of POF. We conversed by email, IM and phone for weeks. Hours and hours of conversing and he did not once tell me he was in a wheel chair. We finally met up and he showed up in his wheel chair. Like I wouldn't notice !!!!! I don't have a problem with dating someone who is Handicaped but please be honest about it. Don't tell someone your favorite past time is hiking if you are in a wheel chair. Needless too say I chose to never see him again.
Smoochie
 In Your Dreams
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/5/2005 11:47:05 AM
Smootchie, I had a similar experience with POF. I think a person should be more upfront about their disabilities than your "friend" in this story was.
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/6/2005 6:05:14 AM
Well I woud date someone with a disability if I were attracted to them but not just because they have something that challenges them in life. Just like I hope other people would look past my wheelchair and give thierselves a chance to get to know who I am. We all are different in are own individual way. Some have special needs and others depend on no one in everyday life. I would just hope people are open minded enough to take the time to get to know someone with a disability.
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/6/2005 6:44:35 AM
Pgooperman Oh thank you so much for the compliment. Made me blush. YOu are to funny and look good yourself.

OT:
Yes i would date someone with a disability but not because of it. It would be for the person they are inside and out.
 gabbypahenui
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:33:33 AM
i don't think i would but then again this is a hypothetical question and last time i looked no one was knocking on that door :) this is not to be taken personally. i am just not there kind of like dating people who are separated, x number of kids, and etc.
 feel the wind
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/6/2005 9:11:15 AM
read an artilcle about a lady who lost her legs in a terrible accident. she learned to function on stumps. the interviewer went on to as her about her sex life, and she shared that her card was filled when she was dating,,and then she picked one of the lucky men, married him and is living happily ever after.
 In Your Dreams
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/6/2005 5:27:47 PM
I know a guy in his 20's when he married a girl in a wheelchair. Now he is in his 50's. stuck his wife in a nursing home and divorced her. What a crock. If you're not up to the time, don't do the crime. I'm not up to it myself, I need someone fit to take care of me.
 Alone but happy
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:50:49 PM
Well, I think that this thread has atleast illuminated and illustrated that there is hope for us who are "handiapped"
 Alone but happy
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:36:08 PM
Aw....ROB...that was so nice! I appreciate your views to no end.
 m0028
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/6/2005 10:19:21 PM
what is the true definition of so called "handicap"? cant anyone see through physical developmental issues? a person is a person, a pig is a pig, a cloud is a cloud. wtf/
 rangerpete
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:40:55 PM
guess im a bit ignorant when it comes to handicapps,not sure what limits people in wheelchairs for instance have but if i saw a female like alone but happy rolling down the road i sure wouldnt be looking at or thinking about the chair
 rland66
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2005 2:56:50 AM
I am dating a woman with CP and brittle diabetes , its tough sometimes and she is often not feeling well, but seriouslly she is still a beautiful person and fun to be with.....
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/7/2005 4:55:14 AM
Pgooperman
I call it physically challenged because I feel there are things in life that are not as easy as they once were. Through determnation and perserverance I have slowly but surely learned to do everything I did before my accident. I do and go places most abled body would never think of or even dream of. Not that I am any better than ayone else in my situation but I just refuse to be limited or stopped from doing things that make me who I am. You can only do what you think you can do. If you don't believe in yourself then who will.

Ot: Yes I would date someone with a disability but not for that reason, it would be for the person they are beyond that.
 gotaman
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:03:26 AM
c7t1,
Dude, thanks for speaking your mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really made some great points!
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/7/2005 11:50:56 AM
Pgooperman
OMG!!! you should see me in the mud. It gets hilarious. Or on the side of a mountain in montana. I drag my PC butt all over the country proofing people wrong. I get a kickout of people when they say no you didn't do that and I show them pics and then they get this funny look in thier face and say oh!!!!

All people have problems in life, some are what they called handicapped. Others have addictions or phobias or allergies or fears and whatever else you can think of. But still they are people with feelings and there is a person beyond the label that is placed on them by society. Take time to get to know someone with a disability and you may amazed at the tenacity and drive for life that they have. So like I said in a earlier post, yes I would date a disabled person but for the person they are beyond thier disability.

outdoorsman55
 GoFish72
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2005 12:33:39 PM
That is a tough question and to be honest there would be some adjustment and possibly stigma to overcome but I would date someone who was "handicapped".
 gabbypahenui
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/7/2005 2:10:49 PM

Hey Gabby what are you talking about? "x number of kids" ? the question is would you date a handicaped person.

mardioluv4u-

that descriptive was background noise as to additional dating situations besides the handicap issue that i am not ready for when looking to date an individual right now.
 marketguy
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:50:45 PM
My $.02: Sure, if they were a nice person and it wasn't life threatening (I'd hate to get attatched with that hanging over us). Truth be told, I've had fantasies of dating a blind woman ever since I saw the movie Mask (the one with Cher, not Jim Carey). Not that I'm deformed, like the guy in that movie. I like how I look. But with her you'd know she likes you for who you are.
 Phrendzs
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2005 11:11:37 PM
Would you date someone who is handicaped, Yes dating and s@x too. I have, she has Cerebral Palsy and a speach impediment. We mannaged well together as I am ard of hearing she taught me sign language as it was easyer to comunicate that way at times. She often enjoys my company, in her words" I treat her like she was normal" There are so many worderful people out there we all have a differnt body yet it is the mind that we love.....
 smith2267
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/7/2005 11:32:59 PM
There are all degrees of handicap.
I lost most of the use of my right hand for about 6 months. I couldn't sign my name or even clip the fingernails on my left hand.

OTOH, some people are quadrapalegics. So...I guess you need to define handicap.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?