Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kcub63
Msg: 76
would you date someone who is handicaped?Page 4 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Yes, I would. Everyone deserves love and happiness. Just because they might be handicapped, doesn't mean that He/She doesn't have a warm and loving heart.
 smith2267
Msg: 77
would you date someone who is handicaped?
Posted: 12/8/2005 5:12:15 AM
I have had a job moonlighting as a parking attendant.
Although there was nothing I could do about it myself when someone illegally parked in the handicapped zone, I made friends with the local police.
Four times, I had them come and write tickets. At $250 each.
Cha-ching!!!
 marita_b
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2005 5:54:07 AM
we are all handicapped to some extent,...just some of ours is more visible than others,....

if you exclude everyone but those that are defect free,...your limiting your choices a lot,..
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/8/2005 12:38:02 PM
Pgoop
Amen, I have grown more in the past few years then I ever did in the previous 35. Its almost everyday I am learning something now. Never thought I would change but I have. It feels good.
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2005 3:06:22 PM

Love the old sayin.."What does not kill you...can only make you stronger"...

Kind of ties in with, "Don't wound what you cannot kill."
Er... Nevermind.

But yeah, I agree with the ability to grow being an imortant element to life.
 Linguatic
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/8/2005 4:30:05 PM
I think if you are standing close to the car and can move it if someone needs the space, that's not such a big deal.
 kcub63
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/9/2005 12:19:22 AM
I think anybody who is intelligent and has a heart wouldn't deny a love from somebody just because they are disabled. I notice a lot of people making comments just to ruffle feathers. Their loss. Anybody that thinks they are better than anyone else is the true handicapped person in my eyes! Sorry but I feel passionately about this subject.
 smith2267
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/9/2005 12:21:29 AM
>>I think if you are standing close to the car and can move it if someone needs the space, that's not such a big deal.

But you are putting them in the position of having to ask you to vacate a spot where you have no legal right to be parked, and they do.
In what world should someone have to ask you to stop breaking the law before you think it's a problem?
 Iron Wolf
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/9/2005 1:17:07 AM
I am handicapped(I, too, HATE that damned term!); It's not in my profile, not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it's not an issue for me. It is NOT who, or even what, I am. I fail to mention it in my profile because others sometimes make a big-damn-deal over it. I do NOT want someone feeling sorry, or, worse yet, trying to over-protect me(I've had both)! Being physically hadicapped does not affect me that much. I'm NOT in a wheelchair, I drive a car, work, dance, go to church, do karate, ride horses, etc. ALL ON MY OWN. I'm not saying this to be anybody's hero or any B.S. like that -"Been there, done that, got the T-shirt for it, & burned the same T-shirt!"- , I'm saying this to let people know that disabled(that term sucks, too!)people can do whatever the hell they want. The BIGGEST handicap is when I run into people that make it an issue! The second biggest handicap is when people start admiring you for BEING handicapped! I've had both happen to me - they both suck! Yes, I'm handicapped, but I makeup for it in other areas! And no, STOP THINKING DIRTY - although, I am sexually competant - I'm talking in other areas, thinking, writing, reading, doing physical activities, etc. I hope this clears up ANY mis-conceptions.
 kcub63
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/9/2005 1:18:52 AM
Well said, Iron Wolf!!!!!!!!!
 tcky123
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:04:29 AM
i am new to the board and this is my first thread on a topic but dating someone different is new but you never know until you try.
 AndyJP
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:08:24 AM
I would date a woman with a disability as long as she is honest with it up front (if I met her online) and didn't wait to surprise me when we met.

I would also date one that had a handi-cape. Cape's rock.
 marita_b
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:38:30 AM
actually I tend to think sometimes

that which does not kill you,.....just prolongs the agony,......

sorry,...it's a migrain kind of day for me today
 Linguatic
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:54:45 AM

In what world should someone have to ask you to stop breaking the law before you think it's a problem?

Hell, all across the US, 99% of motorists break laws ten times a day, so don't get righteous with me about law-breaking. Last time I asked someone to stop, she got out of her minivan and screamed at me. Besides, what I described is not parking, it's called "standing". You see those signs that say "No stopping or standing." That's what they're talking about.

I'm saying it's not a grave inconvenience, nor discourteous, to occupy the handicapped seats on the bus, so long as you move when someone with a greater need arrives.

I suppose there's a difference of perspective depending on what kind of a city you live in. In my city, there is little parking. People park on the sidewalks All The Time and don't get ticketed. People park in crosswalks, and at fire hydrants. It's different from Columbus, and *far* different from anywhere in Florida.

In the earlier story about the guy who wouldn't move when the tag-holder needed the parking space, I absolutely agree that he was completely and unequivocally out of line. However, I think the poster would not have had much of a story if he had said " I arrived and there was (gasp) someone in the parking space, and he moved when he saw me."
 Linguatic
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:03:17 PM
@ct71:

It's curious that you've taken such issue with me, and resorted to personal insults, when I thought I was being respectful.

Personally, I don't do this. In fact, I don't even have a driver's license, so accusing me of "lack of courtesy for parking in handicapped parking" is laughably wide of the mark. I was posting my opinion of what radar2 had described, and you totally went off the handle on me. Apparently unsatisfied with your ability to control the actions of others, you now want to control their opinions by abusing them if they don't hold the "proper" ones?

I understand how someone who feels slighted by the world might have a sense of possessiveness about this one thing, but the chip on your shoulder is showing. Your accusations and insults are far more inconsiderate than my one little absolution of behavior that offends you.

For what little it's worth, my father has been physically handicapped my entire life, and my mother is now visually handicapped, so I'm quite well aware of the use and abuse of handicapped parking spaces. In my experience with them, it has NEVER been a matter of concern. Every parking lot has always had at least one handicapped spot available, even in a city with an unsually high concentration of the elderly. So, I just can't get worked up over this.
 smith2267
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:41:15 PM
Iron wolf, you hate the word "handicapped" and the word "disabled".
I hate political correctness, and the way words become tainted.
It's an idiotic waste of time, keeping up with which word is fashionable today.

And don't even get me started on "differently abled".
For god sake, EVERYONE is differently abled. What a bunch of drivel.
 smith2267
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:47:13 PM
Linguatic, I've handled parking as a way to make a living while in college.
I've seen many occasions where handicapped spaces have run out, and I've seen people in wheelchairs have to turn around and go home because there were no van accessible spots left.
I've also seen young, able bodied people using their grandparents handicapped parking placards.
That's even worse than what you're talking about.
 Linguatic
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:49:48 PM
Yup, that would be a problem.
 Wild Artist
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/10/2005 1:49:47 AM
I used to work at my nieces school and one day I took her home from school. I decided to stop at the bread store on the way and never planned on using the Handicap parking space since I don't have a permit. When I got there I saw someone sitting in a car without the permit. Their eyes got wide as they watched me get out of the car. Get my nieces wheelchair out of the trunk, put the wheels on it and then cross the parking lot. This was a small store and only had one handicapped parking spot. I would never use it without the permit, even with my niece with me.

Heck my sister doesn't have the permit because she says she is able to push my niece across the lot, let someone that needs it have it.

As far as stopping in it just for a min to get a pop or something, How would the person that needs the spot know you're just getting a pop? Do you expect them to sit in their car waiting for the peson that is illeagally parked to finish whatever they are doing????

OT
As I have said I have and would date someone with a disability. When I went out with this gentleman we had someone block his lift by parking in the loading part of the handicap spot. We also had to find an end spot at a restraunt so he could get out of his van, because someone had parked in the handicaped spot illegally.
 Iron Wolf
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/10/2005 3:43:56 AM
Smith, right on, dude! Hey! I got an idea, why not call everybody human & be done with it!?!
 Iron Wolf
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/10/2005 7:44:06 AM
Rocky, I may start to take that into account & mention my disability in my profile, but I don't want to drown my profile in it. It's not a big deal to me & I don't want to make it one. You know, I even had one girl tell me that she didn't want me to drive because I had a disability! SHEESH! The nerve of some people!
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2005 10:35:33 AM
I think someone mentioned that "handicapped" came from "cap in hand", referring to people who were forced to beg because no one would hire them because of their physical disabilities. According to here ( http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=handicapped ), it actually came from a betting game in the mid-1600's, and the current additional use of a medical style handicap came about in the early 1900's. Using it to mean an extra "encumbrance" works for me, and I think applies to me without insult. Labels can suck, but we're humans, so we use them. As long as others use their brains and consider the whole me, not just the label, I'm cool with that.
 titliest83
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/10/2005 12:46:02 PM
I would....if i was stimulated by her intelluctally...
 catman40
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/11/2005 9:56:31 AM
I am looking for a woman in wisconsin here to be with . I do have epilepsy and it does cause me to be a flake at times . There are days now , I "just " want someone to take care of me . By that I mean to do things I enjoy such as driving . IF , you moved in with me . I would be saying YES alot .
 marita_b
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:58:56 AM
imagine if we wrote off all handicapped,...even quads,....like,....Christopher Reeves,...

or Stephen Hawkins,....

Perhaps your friend is only looking at one side of the picture,...regarding your giving friend,...pgooperman,....perhaps she,..is getting something from the relationship he has no clue about,....

besides many of us gimps have the best parking spaces,....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?