Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 101
would you date someone who is handicaped?Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
You know as a society we all try to look past the labels that are put on each every one of us. As you see in the forums there all types of people with labels wantng to know if someone will date them. Yes there is someone for everyone in this world but you have to put yourself out there and take a chance on love if you ever want to share your life with someone. Race, religion, body type preference, smokers, mentally and physically disabled, or any other varety of labels that you can think of to stick on a human is something that will go on for eternity in the debate if someone will date you. Yes it takes all kinds to make this world go around and if not it would sure be a boring place.

Yes I would date someone disabled but not because of that, it would be for the person they are beyond there personal challenges.
 marita_b
Msg: 102
view profile
History
would you date someone who is handicaped?
Posted: 12/14/2005 4:44:24 AM
no one could say it better than that,....
 outdoorsman55
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/14/2005 4:50:12 AM
Don't judge someone for whats wrong with them, Love them for who they are beyond those faults they may have.
 marita_b
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:55:53 AM
your right I didn't read the entire thread meerly skimmed,...
I've been know to do that when I discover a thread well underway,...

and your point?....I was actually speaking for myself,..as that's one of the perks of dating me,...for example,...that and pretty much any man can beat me in a foot race,...
you know how men like to win,....
 marita_b
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2005 6:06:35 AM
only a gimp can call themselves one,....and hey,...I am a gimp,...

it's like the song my kids listen to where every other word is N*** this and N*** that,...

only black people can sing those,...my pale faces would get the tar kicked out of them for singing along,...see,... no insult intended to anyone else,...they get to call themselves whatever they want,....or not,...and of course all you able bodied folks,....well 'nuff said
 kcub63
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:13:07 AM
Yes and be proud to do so. It's the heart that matters.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:20:38 AM
I probably wouldn't
 marita_b
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:42:30 PM
perhaps the question should read would you leave a partner because they became handicapped,....because truth be told many people avoid us that are less than perfect,...

at least your one of the rare ones that's honest about it,...O-T-B,...

I hate your response,...but I understand it too,....

Just hope nothing changes in your life to make you,.... one of us,....
time and fate has a bad sense of humour sometimes,....
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/16/2005 10:02:14 PM
I recently went grocery shopping and due to a TEMPORARY physical challenge, (I had laproscopic surgery and very sore still four days later) I had to use one of the motorized carts to do my shopping. I knew it was going to be "an experience" but I could not get over how many people would stare at me, not move when they saw me coming down the aisle, or not even offered to help me when the damn motor stopped in the middle of the store.

I hope this is not everyday occurence for the people who are permantely in need of a chair. I was shocked at the treatment I received. To say that the experience was frustrating and upsetting is an understatement. I guess like most able-bodied people, I never appreciated by ability to get around until I couldn't do things that I am used to doing. The people who posted in this forum who are (insert term for not being mobile here) have my deepest respect and admiration for being positive.
 mako28
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:13:20 PM
The cute factor still applies...I am shallow there, but being handicapped wouldn't make any difference to me. Hell, she'd probably have a better attitude about life than a lot of other people I meet.
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:11:27 AM
GoddessThemis..unfortunately, it is common for us.

Pgooperman, that's a difficult question to answer. Some will thank you but say, no..I need to do this myself, some will accept the help and some will go absolutely ballistic and go off like they are insane. Personally, I am one of the first two..I like to do for myself and will say..no, but thank you so much for being so considerate..and sometimes I would say, yes, please..thank you..either one with a smile. I've chewed people out for taking choice number three, however, because maybe they are "super dipstick I don't need no stinking help from no one" but when they go off on someone who went out of their way to be kind, it really hurts the people who DO need some help.
I've had people open a door for me and say "I know I'm probably going to get yelled at for this but you look like you need it"..to which I say, "The only thing you're going to hear from me, my friend, is thank you". I'm very independent myself but would never come unglued at someone extending kindness...there needs to be more kind people in this world..not get chewed out for it. I don't take it as pity..I mean, heck, I'll open or hold a door open for people too. It's just being nice. When I'm in my power chair and I see a lady carrying a load, I'll offer to carry it for her..no worries.
It's tough to gage the reaction you'd get and that's possibly why so many of us don't get people asking if they can help when we really need it..like when a chair quits. It's like an old saying, you can cut your throat with a sharp tongue..it's true and I've known people who treated others like dirt then wondered why when they needed help, no one would stop. Trouble is, they who hone their tongue to a razor edge also cut the throat of others who really do need the help.

let me say, thank you for considering stopping to help that lady. I can only hope that she would have taken it well and thanked you also.
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/17/2005 3:52:22 AM
Thanks Pgooperman, I would hope you never encounter such a situation for being so kindhearted. You rock darlin'. :-)

I went back and read the entire thread and have to say, I admire your views. This is a very enlightening thread even for me. Dismissing the jackasses, jerks and inconsiderate people who park in a spot "for just a second"..or between spots (I've intentionally dropped my lift on the roof of cars who've done that), there are some very impressive views and opinions. I suppose I should disclose my disability in my profile but will always mention it in either the initial reply to someone or within the first couple. She will definately know of it long before the first meeting as I know what a shock that would be (but to the one who suggested tipping the chair, that would be highly inadvisable).
There are some remarkable people here..and I'm not referring only to the people with challenges, all who are open to the possibilities of having a relationship with someone who is challenged..and those who are honest (and not degrading or sarcastic) in their reasons why they couldn't as well.
On topic, of course I could, and would, date someone with a disability..I did even before the permanent attachment to my posterior buttockles though I have had mobility troubles since I was 12 from a severe closed head injury..among assorted other injuries sustained in that accident and others.
I'm well adjusted, confident and comfortable with myself as I am and if I met a lady with a challenge who was of the same mindset, no problem. I have to agree with those who said getting involved with someone who isn't would be difficult. From time to time is unavoidable..I mean, it is a challenging life but you have to work with what you have and make the best of things and be happy. "get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'" (from The Shawshank Redemption) is a quote that really hit home with me long ago.

Very good discussion and topic.
 marita_b
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2005 7:29:50 AM
anyone who has a handycapp parking permit may park in a handycapp spot,...

I have had mine for quite a while now and it's always interesting to watch others as they come out of their car in their spot,...some who don't look like they need one are constantly being harrassed,...

The doctor here decides if you do or don't need one,...sometimes it's because of an infirmity you can't outwardly spot,...like for example I know someone with a heart condition waiting for a transplant,....looks perfectly healthy,..dorsn't have a chair or even a cain but can NOT walk long distances without taking a serious risk,...

There are many people who judge,....without knowing all the facts,....

there is a reasong the word predjudice,...sounds like pre judging,...because it is,...

but ,....if you don't have a valid medical reason,....you are not only being selfish,...you are breaking the law,...and anyone I catch,.....I REPORT,....

(protesting,....my butt,...your selfish,...and lazy,...it's that simple)

YEA!!!!! thank heaven's for cell phones,...
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:34:19 AM
When I see someone who parks in a handicap spot, jumps out the car and walks without a problem - I feel that I need to know how and why they parked there. It has always infuriated me and I always think of the line from the song "im an asssshole" that says something like"I park in hadicapped spaces and make handicapped faces, I'm an assshole, Im an assshole". The blatant disregard about parking in designated spaces pissses me off.

I am drafting a very INFORMATIVE letter to the Meijer HQ about the treatment or should I say lack of treatment and concern I received when I used the "amigo' (the electric cart that was supposed to help with my mobility). When I tried to leave the store, I got stuck in the automatic door and this employee looked at me in the eye three times before I said "oh, can you see and hear me? I thought I had my invisible powers on for a minute!!' Now I am festering and have to get back to my draft....
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/17/2005 1:52:06 PM
[q] How ever one thing that drives me completely bonkers is when some one comes up behind you and with out saying a word starts pushing your chair. You have no idea of the scare you give some one when they do that. So please if you wish to help ask, remember even if some one tears a strip off of you when you ask, there are those who really do need some kind of assistance. [/q]

Oh man, you have that right. or when you're about to do a wheelie to hop a threshhold in a doorway...man, ramming your thumbs under full power into the brake mechanisms when all the sudden your back wheels go freewheeling because someone lifted up the back of your chair is a bit*h. Both thumbs turn a nice shade of purple after the throbbing starts backing off though. Yes, ask first..lol

To the fellow who thinks he would beat up a man, woman or child...why would I mess with your car when I can just call the cops and watch you get a $250 ticket and have to get it out of an impound lot? That would be much more entertaining..plus legal.
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:24:58 PM
Very good comment about the razor tongue. Maybe because when I get talking about subjects that really upset or anger me, such as people parking in handicapped spaces and not being handicapped, I will drop the f** bomb. I am really trying to stop using profane language and getting better. Seeing someone who is getting out of a car parked in the spots reserved, I really REALLY have to refrain from saying a descriptive word.

Using the f bomb when really not called for probably makes ME look stupid, when I am trying to "help" - just like the quote.

Thanks, it makes me want to be a better person by not swearing.
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:26:38 PM
c7t1 Ouch man...that hurt just to read. Thanks for the tip..I hadn't thought about moving my brakes down..that's on my list of to-dos tomorrow. Man, I never jambed mine that bad but YIKES!!

Hi Petunia, The deleted posts were a fellow who violated federal law in threatening me. I showed it to a former collegue along with the US code he violated. No worries, law enforcement is aware of the threat..some people don't realize how fast a cop can be standing on their doorstep over something like that. The net isn't as anonymous as folks think and deleted doesn't mean irretrievable.
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:42:54 PM
I read about a guy who put a pizza fresh from the oven on his lap...since then, I keep a large cutting board on my lap anytime I'm making anything hot. I've done a number of ummm..less than graceful flips from mine too...lol Never off the lift though..not yet anyway. *knock on wood*
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:50:23 PM
Now where did I threaten to destroy your car? I didn't..I said I'd call the cops and let them handle it, and i would. I made no threat to you (or your car)....but if you feel better threatening me, go for it.
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:02:30 PM
dieCripple you want MY address? I DARE you to come see me!
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:06:21 PM
I'm curious...and this isn't meant as putting you down so don't take it that way. Why do you dispise the disabled when you said in a reply before that you have a disability? Is it really because of parking spaces?
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:07:43 PM
When the moderators FIND YOU by your ISP, it won't be me coming to your door, but someone is going to find you and arrest you you sorry waste of carbon.

If you really want to find me, go ahead. Keep knockin' while I keep re-loading!!!
 GoddessThemis
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:09:29 PM
mealz who is your last post addressed to?
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:11:20 PM
Oh, sorry..it was addressed to diecripple..I'm just curious why he hates disabled people..and overweight people (from other threads) so much.
 Mealzonwheelz
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:17:48 PM
Are you serious, diecripple? Talk to me off board through private messaging so the thread can go back on topic. You sound like someone who needs to talk.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?