Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
SPICESPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Apple pie spice is a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
Pumpkin pie spice is a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
As you see, very similar and I do exchange one for the other, at times.
Can be used in pies, of course, also cakes and cookies and so on.
I make a potato cookie recipe often and use one or the other in the dough. Then when they come out of the oven I coat them with a mixture of sugar and one of these spice blends.

tb
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 13
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/24/2010 10:32:09 AM
Spice: Mediterranean Sea Salt - Italissima Brand from Italy

Spice: Fresh ground Black Pepper, powdered White Pepper - Bulk from Asian shops

I use a lot of herbs, Fresh Basil, Fresh Dill, Fresh Chives, dried Oregano
Fresh Ginger, I grate it.
Zest from Lemons, Limes, Oranges, Grapefruit.... not a spice, but something I use alot.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 16
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:58:05 PM
Nothing specific with the zest actually.
The reason I use zest is to mix things up a bit since I am on a strict diet right now and am limited to basically salt, pepper, lemons, grapefruit as staples... so any flavour I can add without straying off course is a bonus.

Fish
I used lemon zest yesterday when I was broiling 2 large filet of Basa.
I squeezed some lemon juice first and then zested some lemon, then pop it in the oven to broil.

Chicken - did the same as above with the Fish, but I mix it up with Grapefruit or Orange

Prawns
I made a marinade for prawn skewers with lime.
In the food processor I toss in:
* flesh from a Mango
* big bunch of Cilantro
* juice from 1 large Lime
* salt/pepper
* few cloves of garlic
* 1/2 large red onion,
*** and I throw in 1/2 of the Lime that I had juiced...yup...the whole thing in the processor and chop away...the gritty fined up bits of the lime rind gives it a unique texture.

Pour the mixture into a ziplock bag with the cleaned prawns and left to marinade for a hour or two in the fridge and then placed on bamboo skewers to serve.
Store bought Thai sauce can be poured on top when you serve them.

I add zest in my muffins all the time. I like to use Orange zest in cakes too to give it an additional zing that no one expects.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 18
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/24/2010 5:38:26 PM
Thanks SS.... lots of great recipes there.
I can have many of the salads and the seafood, chicken and pork dishes.

no avacado, oils, sugar, flour, beans, lentils, rice or potatoes....no sweet potatoes either....no fun for a while. No baked goods allowed.

I like the Ruby Reds too. We don't get a big variety here, normally only the bland ones and the Ruby Reds.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 19
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/24/2010 7:54:04 PM
I have a lot of McCormick's spices in my spice racks ... but I love the Lawry's blends, too ... the peppers especially ...

I don't use "pumpkin pie spices" in my pumpkin pies ... I blend them myself as I don't like ginger in pumpkin pie ... and "pumpkin pie spices" have ginger!

the spices in the bottle marked "pumpkin pie spices," tho, taste very nice in a hot cup of coffee - especially when you're going to float whipped cream on top! there's something about that scent as you raise a hot cup of coffee under your nose just before you sip! yum!
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 23
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/25/2010 5:55:16 PM
WOW!.... I didn't know about Goa being such a spice rich region.

I am of South Asian ancestry, and my parents are heading to Goa next week for a month on vacation, never having set foot on the continent as we are from the Caribbean.

My mom is a chef and I am going to ask her to do some exploration of the spices for me and bring back some of her finds.

our curries and 'Indian' foods are different in the Caribbean too...we take from various influences, Indian, Portugeuse, French, Spanish, British, African...all mixed with local spices and flavours.
 arwen52
Msg: 24
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/31/2010 8:47:47 AM
I buy my spices at Penzy's. I use thyme more than anything, also rosemary. I grow both in the summer along with a number of other herbs.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 26
view profile
History
SPICES
Posted: 1/31/2010 10:23:39 AM
^^^ I hear you on the Generic spices...not sure what, but if it is possible some taste stale...perhaps exposed to too much moisture at some point.

I buy my spices from the Asian markets too...and I have found many types of spices that I never heard about and lot of mixes of curries too.
Saffron is far more affordable in these markets too.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >