Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canadianredneck
Msg: 26
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Singlewhitefemale. That was really good if no one else noticed. You must have gotten that from a source? Or are you so sharp you just made it up?
 nskcanuck
Msg: 27
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?
Posted: 12/5/2005 2:20:46 PM
Yeah spelling and grammar count. I can spell real well, but the grammar I suck at. Therefore I procrastinate writing papers for school and hence here I am posting on POF addicting thing this is. I can write my thoughts, mechanics of writing 2 different but important issues.
Poor spelling is atrocious and can alter the meaning of what you are trying to say or communicate. All you have to do is look it up and NOT to rely on spell checker from the computer.
I have lots of typos on my posts and guess what? Scooby66 says its called "fat fingering" when I heard this I thought I was going to piss my pants from laughing so hard!

Unbelievable that silly Yankee!! Who is coming with me to drag him to Canada?
Pet peeve spelling on some programs are American, yikes!!!

nskcanuck
 biziedizie
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/5/2005 2:53:01 PM
I have a black keyboard and I keep the office dark at night. I type with one finger and as I can't always see the greatest at night I sometimes hit the wrong keys. On forums I screw up once in awhile as I don't proof-read, but on an e-mail to a person I know I always double check. I guess it's a respect thing.

Would I judge a person for spelling errors? I don't think I would. If they talked like a redneck bum from some backwoods town then I don't think I would date them.
 K3VLAR
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/5/2005 2:57:47 PM
et pises mee of two reed sumwunz profile when thy kant eevin spelll
 kindheart33
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/5/2005 3:48:32 PM
Personally I don't think spelling really counts as I sometimes with my male clumbsy fingers hit the wrong key and don't notice I made a mistake. As long as I can figure out what they are saying its ok. Although if the whole message is full of errors everywhere then I will have to wonder about the person and usually won't waste my time with them. The only thing that I don't really like is when someone sends you a message and its all those internet abbreviations lingo. For example they say "how r u? Want 2 talk?" Like take the time to spell the words as for me it gets confusing trying to read something that I don't write like. Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyways its just me I guess so you all have a great day...
 dewfuss
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/5/2005 4:04:38 PM
K I guess I'm the only one here with spell checker?

Mr. Sarcastic
 TrystofLime
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/5/2005 4:50:10 PM
I don't mind a few typos here and there, but I find really bad spelling (like, every fourth or fifth word) is very distracting from the text itself. Plus, I have a pet peeve which I see everywhere on POF... "your very pretty..." "your sure about..." "your hilarious!"

My pretty what?

You're!! You're!! Two words, one sound, it's not that hard, people! LOL
 Missy
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/5/2005 5:00:35 PM
I agree kindheart33 - the chat chit in an email is a bit much...I will admit I will over use LOL or LMAO but I don't think I (over) use much more than that. If you want to get to know someone, the worst thing you can do is short change yourself by showing your ignorance.

Tryst I agree but its not only you're and your. But too and to and their, there and they're as well :)

~Missy~
 Lainy1
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/5/2005 5:06:21 PM

You're!! You're!! Two words, one sound, it's not that hard, people! LOL

One of my favourite mistakes!
That is the grammar part, bothers me alot! I had a job as a proofreader for a couple years and I am constantly amazed at the people in positions of power, in the business world, that would fail grade 6 spelling.
 kindheart33
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/6/2005 10:00:10 AM
Missy, I agree with you. I have no problem with the LOL as its a quick way to show humor. Its very hard sometimes to express that in an email. Things sometimes are taken wrongly as I like to joke around and tend to be a little sarcastic. Its all in fun but without typing something like lol after a sarcastic comment, then it can definately be taken as offensive which is something I don't do. I never mean to offend or hurt anyone but sometimes I don't think before I type and after I send it I can't go back and change it. There has been many times I have put my foot in my mouth and it sure doesn't taste well, lol. I will say that in recent months I have learned a lot of new ways to type the english language, lol, but in all honesty I would rather read the real word than try to figure out what someone is saying with all the chat chit as Missy has so greatly put it. You all have a great day...
 Fluffy Handcuffs
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/6/2005 10:05:58 AM
talking about punctuation.. I have to admit there are some that I dont use (e.g. ' ) mainly because its a habit I picked up thru work - weve been taught to shorten words and eliminate punc for a reason (time and space) ... so Ive notive Ive brought that in my everyday "type life". So, if someone is going to judge me on that... meh, w/e.
 gotu
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/6/2005 10:45:19 AM
I am the typo queen....that being said I also have funky punctuation habits like - that and ..... this for no reasons other than pauses :P and I forget about the smilies and use the oldfashioned keyboard smilies ;)
 Nishama
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2006 11:49:40 AM
Yes, it counts!

I will forgive someone for whom English is clearly not their first language, but otherwise, I avoid profiles and emails with poor spelling and / or grammar. A typo or two happens to us all, but really poor spelling or garbled communication speaks volumes. They are symbolic to me of one (or both) of two things:

1. The person is uneducated, and more importantly, makes no effort to read, write, or be articulate. Let's be clear, I know many people who do not have formal education. What I mean by uneducated is the person who does not choose to engage in activity of the mind.

2. The person does not believe language and literacy are valuable. As a poet, writer, and PHD in special education, the power of the word has meaning to me.
 Diver Lake Cowboy
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/12/2006 11:53:40 PM
I take it into account, though it depends on what else the person has to say. If they sound un-educated and have bigoted points of view, it's going to matter a lot more than if they use the wrong your, you're, you know? Typos too, the odd one here and there is ok, but mega typos are a turn off.......you should proof read to some degree before you post.
 jspudotoole
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2006 12:23:09 AM
If someone didn't want to meet me because of the spelling thing................I think it all falls in the catigory of: fat, skinny, smoker, disability, and the list goes on.

If not for just that one thing, whatever that thing may be..............you/I could be missing out on a really great person.

I think that at this point no one should be THAT picky.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
 Central Man
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/12/2007 9:55:47 PM

YES!!!!
 FluffyPinkCuffs
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/12/2007 10:11:14 PM
a few spelling mistakes here and there?
arent a big deal! we all have one of those days... and sometimes they last a couple of days or more...

poor grammar?
I start to ask myself if they are esl? (which is common), illiterate? (again more common than you think) or are they mentally ill? (socially inept, etc)

I think some ppl make this out to be a bigger deal than it is... and judge. Wanna judge me on my spelling? then you have more issues than your psychiatrist can shake a stick at.
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/13/2007 9:58:16 AM
Lainy

Does it drive anyone else crazy when reading posts or profiles when the spelling is atrocious? With some posts it islaughable the variations of the simplest words. Maybe, it's just me and a side effect of the business I am in.
So the question is would you date someone from here who had poor spelling?

Interesting choice of words Lainy, laughable. I might question what is underlying the conflict your in. I might even go to the degree that at the risk of isolating poor spellers, what would you suggest the poor spellers do? What are some of the options you have to correct this as it has become an issue for you? I would question the integrity of a person who might post such a question?

Lorien

stupid or uninformed ideas or, worse yet, cruel or discriminatory remarks – never

Loved that response

Halokitty

Spelling and grammar to me, are essential for good communication.

What is essential to good communication is the ability to ask questions and be involved in dialogue.

I think if am distracted by grammar and spelling and somewhat abrasive to those that find it a challenge to spell, it doesn’t say much about me except of this need to control and feel safe. I would be better off finding a breast to suckle on.

un-leashed
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/13/2007 10:04:35 AM

then you have more issues than your psychiatrist can shake a stick at.

^^ no kidding!

I do not have issues with spelling errors, I have a boss who is very intelligent in many ways, but has trouble spelling. No biggie, I still have total respect for him. I have dated men that have trouble with their grammar and spelling, but as long as they can verbally communicate, I am fine with it.

What makes me chuckle (well, perhaps split a gut) is when some "hoity toitey" (is that a word??) poster, thinks they are holier than thou and is always correcting and belittling people on their posts and then they make a spelling mistake on one of their posts..... makes my day...just freakin makes my day!!! ha ha
 Flaira
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/13/2007 11:07:22 AM
Yes! because an impression is being formed by what you see on the screen.

Part of that impression may consist of wondering why the guy so blatantly ignored the spell-checker and what does he mean by doing so? But the odd typo, the odd slip in grammar, can be charming.
 Augiedougie
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/13/2007 9:33:17 PM
I have alot of problems with someone who has poor spelling. To me it just shows a lack of education and lack of self-esteem in that they don't care what others think. So many people think spell check is the answer. Far from it.
I don't understand why spelling doesn't count in school anymore. There are a number of people also use net-speak and net-spelling when they are writing an email or even a 'normal' letter (not that many use that form of communication anymore).
Sorry, but this is really one of my pet peeves in life.
 *Q*
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/13/2007 10:16:36 PM
Here is something to think about. What about someone who couldn't finish school? Older generations, such as my father's, didn't have the luxury of attending school. He had to drop out of school in Grade 2 and at that time school went to Grade 7. At 88 he still underlines words in the newspaper, saves it till we visit and then asks how to pronounce it and what it means.

Ok so in 2007, most kids stay in school but what about the kids who run away from home as mom or dad beat them or they have an undiagnosed learning disability, are being bullied at school, grammar isn't their strength but they excel at math or they live below the poverty line.

I am not saying spelling and grammar don't count as it does. If a resume crossed my desk with spelling errors, mostly likely typos, they didn't make it too far but typing on forums is a far cry from applying for a job.

If you think that was a rant. Don't get me started on sentences such as "U R hawt"
 sageb1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2007 1:50:55 AM
Actually, the only time it would annoy me would be when SoMeOnE wRiTeS lIkE tHiS.

If I used BTW and OK and NM etc. that's not a TYPO.

FWIW, if university textbooks wrote out all the acronyms all the time, they'd be a lot thicker.

It'd also mean I can't advertise:
NS SAM 48 sks 24,36,48 F
 justadreammm
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/16/2007 9:54:52 AM
poor spelling is fine.... some people do it on purpose...lol you can always look it up in the dictionary for them.
someone who cant speak english properly. DEFINATLY NOT.
 lady_majestik
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/16/2007 1:50:36 PM
I used to be anal retentive about all that. That territory comes with being an aspiring writer and belonging to a Writer's board, you always try to improve yourself. I find I have more fun when I let myself go once in a while and not worry about being Miss Perfect on the keyboard. It's a dating site, not a Stephen King workshop.

Not everyone has the experience I have on a keyboard or the hours I've put in with writing. I meet more people when I'm less worried about proper spelling and punctuation LOL. If I really was still anal - spell check would be sending me an email asking for a break.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?