Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 161
usage + grammar RANTPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I used to be an "ace" at proper spelling, punctuation and proper grammar. I have noticed lately that I have lost my ability to correctly spell some words. It baffles me, and I wonder if it is because I have so much stress in my life right now, or if I am suffering from some kind of temporary dementia. As some of the regular posters will agree, I get very agitated if I am corrected or criticized on some of my spelling errors
( sorry people.. you know who you are). I have really tried to use spell check, but sometimes I do forget.

I urge people to not critisize the spelling errors in peoples posts, it certainly has an impact on their enthusiasm on responding to an interesting thread. ... thank you

I seem to remember coming under your fire because I misspelled a word.

However, I have days when I am so tired that I can hardly remember my phone number or someone's elses phone number or how to spell a certain word. I get little blocks. I have had them most of my life. I have blown a tiny fuse. I understand how stress and fatigue can interfere with memory. Don't sweat it. Get some rest and you will probably see an improvement in your ability to spell.

While writing comes easily, spelling does not for me. I wrote a paper on spelling disablilties when I was studying learning disabilities. Some researcher described the ability to spell well as a gift from the Gods. I would rather have my all of the other talent I have with language than the ability to spell exceptionally well.

I cannot be overly critical of people who make spelling mistakes; however, frequent spelling errors coupled with poor grammar are not a good sign.
 genuine29
Msg: 162
view profile
History
usage + grammar RANT
Posted: 2/28/2009 10:24:21 PM
nice to see how passing judgment over another isn't limited to the real world. people with this personality trait reveal so much about themselves. if spelling and grammar are so important than why don't you date a English major. I'm sure there use of the english language will be more attune to your liking. personally i could care less. if you are truly willing to dismiss someone solely on the basis of a type - o or misplaced comma i feel for you. you just may have dismissed the person you have been dreaming of meeting.
if i spoke with all the variations and completely unknown words of the Newfoundland English dictionary, than you all would probably assume that i have at best a grade 2 education. ( before you go all Google crazy, yes Newfoundland has its own dictionary )
passing judgment over someone to me personally is more of a reflection of the one passing judgment, than the one being judged.
FYI. appearing/ acting intelligent and being intelligent are two very different things.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 163
usage + grammar RANT
Posted: 2/28/2009 10:44:36 PM
naaaa! It is just amusemet!
Sweet genuine29, I have lots of kids and they are all very different from one another...some spell really well and others don't. They couln't care less...do I love them all the same??? YOU BET!!!!
It just shows me where their gifts and priorties lie. That's all!
People are like that...I am just amused, that's all.

People are all good, in my books.

MN
 Goodbye_Girl
Msg: 164
usage + grammar RANT
Posted: 2/28/2009 10:45:09 PM
At genuine29 ^^^ Thank you for speaking the words that I feel.....
 Merrylass
Msg: 165
view profile
History
usage + grammar RANT
Posted: 3/1/2009 6:37:26 AM
At bottom of all this is the ability to communicate. I've yet to meet someone who writes like an angel and can't express himself well verbally. Same goes for the other way 'round. If you hope to have great communication in a relationship, then it's not unreasonable to 'judge' a person's written communication.
 tornado1
Msg: 166
view profile
History
usage + grammar RANT
Posted: 3/1/2009 7:59:11 AM
^^^^^^^Not necessarily. I do much better with the written word than speaking (and choose that method, when the subject is important), cause I get all tongue-tied when I have to speak. As for the reverse, I had a wonderful relationship for about a year, with a man who is illiterate (our breakup had nothing to do with his lack of formal education). Also, my son, who has severe learning disabilities is the exact opposite of me, can't write well, but is very comfortable speaking. Bottomline for me, doesn't matter how you communicate, as long as you do!
 beachdancer
Msg: 169
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?
Posted: 8/14/2009 12:53:16 PM
I appreciate good spelling and grammar. Who doesn't like to read something well written? Communication, written or verbal, is important. I, personally, am a bad typist, so "spelling" mistakes are often typo's or, and it happens in conversation also, I get ahead of myself and say the wrong word. I find it distracting to be corrected, especially if you knew what I meant. That is to say, sometimes the grammar police get on my nerves. Many folks have learning disabilities and simply cannot spell or just are not educated. I think it judgemental to dismiss them because of spelling or grammar usage. I am friends with quite a few people who have difficulties though they are intelligent people. My answer is: no, I try not to let it matter when evaluating someone's profile. As I tell my children, if you have a weakness, there is no shame in getting someone to help you out. If only because so many rely on your profile to make a good first impression. After all, if you don't know how to iron, you are not going to wear a wrinkled shirt to a job interview; you'll get someone to iron it for you.
Acronyms: My kids, believe it or not, are more picky about not using them than I am. It did take me forever to figure out what FWB* stood for. LOL I don't mind some of them that everybody knows such as "lol." Although we do have these cute smileys to indicate we are laughing or joshing: Others, I wish folks would spell out because there are still some acronyms about which I am clueless as to what they mean. Good communication keeps distractions to a minimum. Acronyms can be very distracting.
I have to admit though, I am tempted to correct those who use the word effect when they mean affect.

*(friends with benefits-You don't want to know what I thought of first!)
 rockondon
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2009 8:01:27 AM

*(friends with benefits-You don't want to know what I thought of first!)
Are you kidding? I definately want to know what you thought of first.

Poor spelling and grammar is not a dealbreaker for me, but I do appreciate it when things are written well. Lousy spelling and grammar makes me wonder about the person's intelligence, education level, or sense of laziness. Making assumptions based on such things can be wrong - for example I know someone on here whom is absolutely brilliant but due to his dyslexia his spelling is atrocious - but even then all it takes is to spell check in a word document before putting it in your profile.

Your profile is selling yourself - how do you want to be presented?
 StillanOptimist
Msg: 171
Posted: 8/15/2009 9:31:43 AM
Spelling and grammar don't matter as much as the content of a profile or other piece of writing. I'd rather read a rich and detailed profile with a few mechanical errors than the usual three sentences of monosyllabic words.

One expression that always get me, though, is

I could care less

By saying so, you're admitting that you do care a bit, because it's possible you could care less. The actual sentiment is "I coudn't care less"!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 173
Posted: 8/15/2009 1:07:03 PM

To be impacted to such an intolerable degree with reflections on education and intelligence as an excuse for bad spelling and grammar is also displaying a lack of respect for fellow human beings…this disregard is externally motivated and says a lot about what motivates the individuals which can disappear from one moment to the next. Kinda sad if you ask me….

??

Please clarify.
 meat me
Msg: 174
Posted: 8/15/2009 1:14:47 PM
Sounds like some dope smokin hippy wrote that!

Course, I ain't exactly no word wizard myself either!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 176
Posted: 8/15/2009 8:31:55 PM
I thought it was clear what I wished to be clarified... the quoted block of text.

Don't worry about it.
 meat me
Msg: 177
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:47:35 AM
Ms Runs With Wolves

My comment regarding your poste was a juvenile attempt on my part to attract your attention.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Rick
 Indolentia
Msg: 178
Posted: 8/16/2009 11:18:50 AM
Lol, cute :)

It matters to me a bit, especially if it is filled with spelling errors and it is hard to understand. But overall, everyone makes mistakes.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 179
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:23:49 PM
It only counts to those who count.
Those who count the countless misdemeanors, would love I am sure, to make someone accountable for not counting on being clear.
Pffffttt
MN
 Entzauberung
Msg: 180
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:24:14 PM
In response to the OP's question of dating someone who spells poorly, yes, I have and will again, for people have other qualities besides language skills.

That said, for me good spelling and grammar contribute to appeal. Reading a well-written, articulate message or a profile is far more attractive than one lacking good spelling and grammar.

Poor spelling often leads to confusion and misunderstanding and forces the reader to devote more time trying to decipher it or ask for clarification. The rules of spelling and grammar are established for the purpose of improved communication. When someone writes according to an established standard others following the standard will know exactly what is being said.

Convoluted writing with perfect spelling but so complicated it makes my head hurt is a turn off and I rarely bother trying to read it.
 ritawayward
Msg: 181
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:02:56 AM
Truly dumb people pick their partners based on socioeconomic status, physical attractiveness and edumacation.

Truly happy people pick their partners based on shared values...kindness, honesty and loyalty...

Now there's a sweeping judgement if I ever heard one.
One set of assets does not necessarily exclude the other unless you want it to!
Sometimes ... I know it's difficult to imagine if you have never experienced it
but, people can and do have qualities from both the groups you have divided above!
And they can pick from any or ALL those circumstances AND values.

Nothing to do with being perfect or thinking they are, since few do, no matter what
others think or say about what they have to offer.

When someone has something I don't I either don't want it and leave it alone
or I do want it and I go after it! I never consider judging and putting down what others have because if I don't want it, why bother?
If I do want it well ... I get to work!
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 182
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:20:55 AM

One set of assets does not necessarily exclude the other unless you want it to!

That is true...and it is not at all what she implied.
Ms.f. used the words "based on" both times...get it?

Now there's a sweeping judgement if I ever heard one.

Now there is a sweeping judgment if I heard one! ^^^
There seems to be an echo in here...

Oh and btw, on topic, "judgement" is spelled judgment.
MN
 ritawayward
Msg: 183
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:37:15 AM
My take on the implications is my own. And I believe the implication I perceived was clearly worded by the poster. Because this differs from your take of what another poster states does not make it correct or not.Nor does this make my take a judgement!
Not every reply is a judgement. Sometimes it is just an impression/assessment based on more than one of the posters posts.
(That seems to be driving any comments you make about my posts since a certain event, regardless of the topic)
Only the poster can really define what she implied and I think she did that very well.

I spell as well as I care to and do not find the need to correct others spelling unless the error could cause a misinterpretation of meaning.
I am surprised when pettiness comes from those who dissavow it so passionately.

Off to work! Where everyone's perspective IS allowed!
Have a good day!
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 184
Posted: 8/17/2009 10:26:40 AM

Only the poster can really define what she implied and I think she did that very well.
~Rita

So, if she did that very well what need is there to comment on it to begin with?

I "corrected" your spelling as a joke because it is the spelling and grammar thread, remember?
My bad for not putting one of these: .... at the end of it, and making it obvious and foolproof !

Hope your work makes you happier today.
I'm already happy, I always get Mondays off ...woohooo!
MN

p.s. Careful now, the reference to "pettiness" could be taken as "flaming", careful not to get personal, remember?
 Entzauberung
Msg: 185
Posted: 8/17/2009 2:09:43 PM

Now be so humble as to explain to me why you expect such perfection from others...

"expect"

For me it isn't a matter of expectation but more a matter of appreciation when someone makes the effort to communicate well.

Good communication and understanding is a key component to a meaningful relationship.

It is a well-known fact that women and men tend to think differently (they hailing from Venus and Mars, respectively) so good communication is difficult enough without the additional complexity of poor language skills.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 186
Posted: 8/17/2009 2:42:26 PM
Wow another eternal thread! Funny that the OP should be so picky about spelling and grammar while making a bunch of grammatical errors herself! (himself?)

Anyway...

Both my ex and the long-time girlfriend before her spoke English as a second language, and while they did quite well at spelling and grammar considering, both were prone to making interesting and often amusing errors. It never mattered to me at all, and I don't think I'm hung up on spelling and grammar from native speakers either.

It *does* matter to me if people are articulate and can express themselves - not because of any principle, just a personality-matching thing. A sloppy profile is one good indicator of that, and one which catches out a lot of people who can "talk well" but really have nothing much to say. It's still just one thing to look at, though.

So... spelling and grammar don't directly matter to me, but there are certain giveaway patterns of bad spelling, grammar and content that do add up to "stay away from this one."
 Bella™
Msg: 187
Posted: 8/17/2009 2:45:22 PM

So the question is would you date someone from here who had poor spelling?

Provided they're prepared to date someone who may occasionally correct them
 Bella™
Msg: 188
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:32:22 PM
^^ how could anyone not want to date this literary work of art
 meat me
Msg: 189
Posted: 8/17/2009 5:04:23 PM
Could you check my spelling, and grammar please?

I hope all you wacky broads are getting something positive out of all (what appears to me, as silly bickering) because it has become a bit tedious for the rest of us. Possibly you all just need a good stiff...

I am indiscriminately volunteering my services!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >