Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 203
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Spelling and Grammar, does it count? Can someone explain the above?
Are the learning disabled retarded or are the retarded learning disabled?
Or is the misconception not true?

Retarded means slow and is not the politically correct term these days. The correct term is developmentally delayed which is an euphemism for mentally retarded. Individuals who are developmentally delayed have IQs below 70. The average IQ is 90 - 100.

If a person's IQ falls between 70 and 90, they are considered to be in a grey area.

A person with a learning disability is defined as one who has an average to above average level of intelligence. So technically speaking, by definition, a person cannot be both developmentally delayed and learning disabled.

However, I think many experts in this field are beginning to recognize that some people with developmental disabilities are also learning disabled.

Learning disabilities are diagnosed with an IQ test - usually the WISC (google it). Discrepancies are looked for between verbal and performance IQ scores. This is just part of the evidence looked at when diagnosing youngsters with learning disabilities.

Putting "labels" on people is a very serious business.

The bottom line is do not think for a moment that learning disability is synonym for developmentally delayed or mentally retarded.

As I have said, I have met many incredibly gifted people who have been learning disabled. I hope this answers your question.

Equating learning disabilities with mental retardation is a serious misconception. Unfortunately, it happens all to often.

In my experience, the younger generation understands this but it is harder for the so-called older generation.

In the past, people who were learning disabled have been treated as they were mentally handicapped and institutionalized. I am sure you can see that this is a tragedy.

Since I am writing this from my general knowledge, I am reasonably sure that my Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is high. As for being learning disabled, I am not a hundred percent sure. It is said that most people who study the phenomena walk away thinking they have one form or another of a learning disability. (Remember Dyslexia is just one specific form of learning disabilities and there are a number of forms in varying degrees.)

Sweet Jane - Narcissist, who earned her degrees.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 204
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?
Posted: 8/19/2009 10:37:58 PM

Since I am writing this from my general knowledge, I am reasonably sure that my Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is high.

How does general knowledge indicate level of intelligence??

==================

On another note, this has to be the most poorly worded phishing email I've received.

Dear Friend,

This is to thank you for your effort. I understand that your hands were tied.
Not to worry. I have succeeded, the money has been transferred into
the account provided by a newly found friend of mine in Australia. To compensate
for your past assistance and commitments have dropped an International Certify Bank
Draft of $2.5million for you.

I am in now in hospital for treatment of cancer which may led me to dead in any moment
from now, please remember to pay 10 percent to charity organization and remain balance
is for you and your family.

Moreover, Contact Rev.jack brown with blow information to enable him delivery the
cheque to you.

{{{{ SNIPPED }}}}

Take good care of your self and more bless.

led me to dead?
with blow information?
and more bless?

Yes, grammar is important, and no, I'm not sending my name, address and phone number.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 205
Posted: 8/20/2009 10:33:47 AM

How does general knowledge indicate level of intelligence??

It is not so much general or specific knowledge that indicate intelligence but the ability do acquire knowledge, maintain it, synthesize it and apply it. The verbal portion of an intelligence test measures these abilities.

The general knowledge part of an intelligence test is somewhat controversial. For one thing ,it is culturally biased in favour of white, middle class individuals.

Defining intelligence and what it is has always been controversial. The debate continues. Measuring intelligence is even more controversial and interpreting the results from these tests is also controversial.

One thing that can be said with reasonable certainty is that if one does well on an Intelligence Test ( and there are only a couple of reputable ones), one will do well in school. In short, an IQ test is a good predictor of success in school.

An intelligence test is made of many sub-tests and general knowledge is actually only a small portion of the test. IMO - using, maintaining, applying and synthesizing knowledge are more important, so the question about general knowledge and intelligence level is not without merit. (I believe that I do this with my general knowledge.)

There are people with certain disabilities (Aspergers and Autism) who have acquired huge amounts of knowledge and have trouble applying it.

I hope this answers your question.

Sweet Jane

yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 206
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:39:54 AM

One thing that can be said with reasonable certainty is that if one does well on an Intelligence Test ( and there are only a couple of reputable ones), one will do well in school. In short, an IQ test is a good predictor of success in school.

If I may correct that: One who does well on an IQ test has the capability/capacity to do well in school.

Attitude and personality play a major factor in education especially with kids. My youngest scored up in the high 90's on psycho-ed testing at the age of 5, he is selectively mute and has a major attitude (ODD). His grades in class vary with the teachers he has, some can not get past his non-verbal ways to communicate with him. He gets marked poorly because they do not know how to get the desired results from him. He just scraped by in grade 2 but, excelled in grade 3.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 207
Posted: 8/20/2009 12:47:57 PM
If I may correct that: One who does well on an IQ test has the capability/capacity to do well in school.

Yes, thanks, this is correct. My statement was a generalization and there are always exceptions.

I have a nephew who scored like your son on psycho-ed; however, while he is very sensitive, he agreeable for the most part in school and does reasonably well despite finding aspects of learning challenging.

Certain teachers click with certain students. Most teachers have little training in special education and are trying to deliver there curriculum to a diverse group of learners. Even with special education training, it is still impossible to meet the needs of everyone at any given time. (For this reason, if you are a parent of a child with learning differences, make sure you go in and speak with your child's teacher regularly. If your child is in high school, make sure you attend parent-teacher conferences and speak to teachers who your child is both successful and unsuccessful with. Parents of high school students need to stay in touch with counselors and resource room teachers.)

5 is young to have an ed-psych and while the results are meant to stay the same over time, they don't always. I have noticed this to be particularly true with younger children and children/teens speaking English as a Second Language. Just as there are issues around testing students who speak English as a Second Language, there are complications around testing students who are First Nations.)

The people who developed the IQ tests did so with the view that IQ is more or less constant. If you are tested at ages 10, 20, 30 and so on, your IQ should be roughly the same.

However, this is a generalization and researchers in this area are finding that the brain is much more elastic than once thought. This is particularly true for youngsters whose brains are just developing.

Boys on fortunately have a rough deal when it comes to school. Research shows that the parts of the brain related to language mature faster than girls - up to two years faster. Boys brains mature in this area but just at a slower rate.

BTW --- I am sorry if I am coming across as some one who "knows it all." Believe me this is hardly the case. I am just scratching the surface of this topic.
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 209
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:14:33 PM
IMO, I doubt many could not overlook a typical typo error or persons with a different first language making a poor word choice or grammatical error.
Having said that and I'm judging here, only a petty mind would get hung up on such matters, don't you think?

Well, at least is is a pretty good excuse I've made for myself

I agree, I also think this is what RWW was trying to say on a previous page (the part I put in bold).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My son was tested so young due to his selective mutism, she asked the questions and my son whispered his answers to me. I still remember his first question... name three animals "aardvark, giraffe, and elephant"

Boys on fortunately have a rough deal when it comes to school. Research shows that the parts of the brain related to language mature faster than girls - up to two years faster. Boys brains mature in this area but just at a slower rate.

In girls ? My boys are the exception to this as well, I think. My oldest was talking in full sentences at 18 months of age and was reading exceptionally well prior to attending school.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 210
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:30:41 PM
^Sorry, for the typo. Yes, I meant to say "mature faster than boys."

With respect to Intelligence testing, probably more research and work has gone into designing these tests than any other. While there are problems with this type of testing, there are many merits which is probably why these tests are used in diagnosing learning disabilities.

I think one of my original points was people who not literate due to being learning disabled, and people who spell poorly, can still be exceptionally intelligent.
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 211
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:57:44 PM

I think one of my original points was people who not literate due to being learning disabled, and people who spell poorly, can still be exceptionally intelligent.

I agree completely with this statement.
 MsBehavin1959
Msg: 213
Posted: 8/20/2009 6:14:46 PM
Well I have to comment on this..and thank you Balled Eagle for pointing out one of my misspellings. We are all unique. My ex husband was deslexic but he was one of the most intelligent people I have ever met (not many people say that about their ex but its the truth). So he didnt' always spell correctly...if we were all perfect do you think we would be on POF....humm something to ponder. I look beyond the typing mistakes for we are all human and yes, gasppppppp..even I make mistakes. I think we are all so quick to judge people on so many insignificant issues. I have seen university educated people on here make spelling mistakes..try not to judge others..life is too short to be so judgemental...hugs to all..MsBehavin
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 214
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:59:50 PM
Yes, lol, the poster you mention has helped many of us with our spelling. I think there is an internet browser called Firefox or Firefly that can turn anyone into a spelling bee winner.

The other option is to type your post in your word processing program and then upload them but, really, who wants to go to all that work to look smart to people who thing spelling is the be all and end all.

Sweet Jane

Anna.Molly
Msg: 215
Posted: 8/21/2009 1:11:21 AM
I didn't read past the second reply, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this.

To me, a lack of proper spelling and grammar, makes me wonder how much this person truly cares about how they present themselves. I understand if perhaps they have a learning disability, but if they are of sound and solid mind, there's truly no excuse for poor spelling/grammar/punctuation.

It also makes me wonder as to what other things in life they might slack off on.

Spelling, in this day and age, is so easy to check and correct.
What with spell check, and Google right at your fingertips, there's really no excuse.

However typos are understandable, if it's a random missing 'S' when pluralizing, or an obvious slip of the fingers on the keyboard.

9 times out of 10, I'll double check ANYTHING I type out and send.
I care about how I present myself, and the way my words appear to others, matter greatly.
Sometimes I re-read so many times, that I still miss the simplest of mistakes, and later to a /facepalm like movement

This being said, I'm sure I've made a typo somewhere lol.
 Anna.Molly
Msg: 216
Posted: 8/21/2009 1:12:56 AM
Another thing.
And this really drives me batty sometimes, because it's really such a simple thing.
At least, it is to me.

They're/Their/There
Our/Are
Your/You're
A lot (contrary to what you think, it is in fact two words )
 Merrylass
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2009 7:59:52 AM
-anomoly- <<<< Irony?
 Soul Union
Msg: 219
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:36:09 PM
Does it drive anyone else crazy when reading posts or profiles when the spelling is atrocious? With some posts it is laughable the variations of the simplest words. Maybe, it's just me and a side effect of the business I am in.
So the question is would you date someone from here who had poor spelling. - Lainy1

The worse they spell, the further I step back from them. If there is no structure in their writing, if there are spelling mistakes a dime a dozen, if they can't talk about anything other than footy, League, booze, fags, hanging, etc, it's a turn-off for me and it leaves me stone cold. Actually, I am seeing more and more of this kind of thing - the brain-dead textspeak, the half-chewed words and spelling mistakes that would make a child shriek.

For instance, you see them writing "alot" instead of a lot. I mean, you don't need to be a genius to see that there is no similar word, for example "afew." What happened to the space between the two words?

And loveing, and careing, and aswell, and - oh God - there are too many to list.

No, I don't reply if the profile or the message is illiterate. Life is hard enough. Why would I want to make my life harder? I'm too old for that kind of thing.

Best wishes to everyone.
Peter
 mrmisfit2012
Msg: 220
Posted: 8/6/2012 9:32:16 PM
nopers... dus note coont
 Sadora
Msg: 221
Posted: 8/7/2012 7:49:37 AM
Ecexlelnt!!!!
 Sadora
Msg: 222
Posted: 8/7/2012 8:20:53 AM
Personally, I feel the quality of a person isn't dictated by the number of degrees he/she has acquired.

Sometimes circumstance in a persons life puts them on a road that doesn't allow for an education. Although an education is a right we all have, not all of us will have the opportunity to obtain one.

In saying that..."yes", I do notice spelling and grammatical errors when reading a profile; however, I don't let it dirty the waters when reading a profile because spelling and grammar isn't what makes a person. Their character, accomplishments and lifestyle are what will make me take that second look.

Based on my spelling and grammar abilities, what would your perception of my education level be? I am curious to know.
 BassOfFire
Msg: 223
Posted: 8/7/2012 11:09:36 AM
IT DUZENT MADUR!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Well, they say it's a turn off for women but why? Do women ace all of their required English courses? Let's stop the judgments and have a little fun. Dating isn't a university course or a job application. What if it were someone with dyslexia or who's English is his/her second language? Many of the greatest people whoever lived had these issues.
 Soul Union
Msg: 224
Posted: 8/10/2012 1:44:50 PM
Does it drive anyone else crazy when reading posts or profiles when the spelling is atrocious? With some posts it is laughable the variations of the simplest words. Maybe, it's just me and a side effect of the business I am in.
So the question is would you date someone from here who had poor spelling? - Lainy1

I have spent the last two hours, with the headphones on, listening to music as I went through a few hundred profiles. It was hard work, but I ploughed along manfully.

I see things like, "very effectionate," "sence of humour," "alot," "caring, danceing, loveing," "dunt NEED a man!!!," "i bought up my kids on my own," "no idear," and so forth. Some of these women have Masters degrees, so I naturally defer to their qualifications and experience.

Searching here, for me, is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

I notice how adversarial and hostile many of the profiles are, to the point where I cannot bear to read more than a line or two before I go into shutdown mode to protect my sensibilities.

What I have noticed, with some certitude, is that the profiles in America and Canada are far more literate, interesting, and sometimes fascinating, than the profiles here, Down Under, where I live. (I am from Scotland, but unfortunately I have been living in New Zealand for the last 19 years. I hope to remedy this situation soon.)

Women's profiles in America/Canada have a certain 'something' about them, a kind of je ne sais quoi, a magic of their own. I am not talking about every one of them; I am talking in general - the trend. They are not as blatantly and painfully hostile as the profiles down here, and they have more photographs on view - unlike here, where the 'blank face' predominates. I don't read profiles with the blank face. What's the point?

I read one woman's profile - oh, this would be at least a year back now - I think from the Mid-West, and I was stunned by the content. It was like reading a Victorian pioneering woman's private journal. It was intimate - heartwrenching yet heartwarming, sad yet uplifting, sparkling with interesting asides, and brimming with fascinating snippets of her life.

Back Down Under and the proliferation of hostile profiles, the almost brutal expressions of non-interest, the 'blank face' routine, and the shocking lack of composition.

Yes, it's the needle-in-the-haystack syndrome, for sure. Where's my headphones?

- Peter
 Gargymil
Msg: 225
Posted: 8/10/2012 1:54:29 PM
Heh you want to go to the Ozzie forums and read some of the posts there. Check out some of the profiles too , they are very well written with tongue in cheek hilarity .
 4x4+geek
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 11:54:41 PM
It aint no thing!

Get that stick out of your :

>;-)~
 day_dreamin
Msg: 228
Posted: 9/14/2012 3:14:16 PM
If you ask me, and I think someone did, spelling errors and typos are excusable, up to a point. Bad grammar, on the other hand, not so much.

But I also feel that the men and women that go out of their way to spell check and proof read their profiles and private messages before they hit send are showing that
1) they care about their profile or the message they are sending me
2) they care about how they present themselves
and
3) they care about making a good first impression.

These are important things when attempting to get to know someone, especially if you are thinking long-term.

Yes, it's a dating site, but it's also a pretty big pond. If you want to stand out, make AN EFFORT!
 thisgirlislookingfor.....
Msg: 230
Posted: 3/8/2013 1:49:13 AM
the one spelling error this is used over again is - their, there and they're. I stop when I need to state something with these/those words. My typos were - stargrazing not stargazing and treasure not treasurer. made me laugh as I give other the gears for being lazy with grammar.
 worth_the_effort
Msg: 231
Posted: 3/8/2013 10:21:40 AM
It does matter, and it has nothing to do with amount of education.
I make allowances for English as a second language, obviously, and for typos, but yes, their/there/they're and 'a lot' (yes, it's 2 words!) are red flags if they're not one-off errors.
I'm certain there are those who think that's silly, but frankly, if that's their feeling, we wouldn't be a match anyhow. :-)
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 232
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:29:42 PM
It really depends on what is being written. Is it the users profile or is it a message the user might have sent me. Maybe it is a text message from someone that I have met. Each one requires a different level of attention to detail by the person creating it.

A profile should be something that is proof read for grammar errors and spelling errors. Spelling more so than grammar. The user should stick to a certain version of English . Going from UK English to US English should not happen. Spell it one way and not multiple ways. As for grammar I am more lenient as I do understand not everyone knows all the rules of English. Hell I don't even know all of them and it is the only language that I speak.

Yet with something like an email message grammar and spelling isn't as important. Maybe the other person was in rush and couldn't go back to proof read it. Something like a text message will almost always have some sort of grammatical or spelling error.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >