Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 709
view profile
History
Ladies: your take on short guys?Page 62 of 64    (24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Caution! Shallow skank warning! Alert!
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 714
view profile
History
Ladies: your take on short guys?
Posted: 4/30/2008 1:55:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Check his feet - remember, big feet = big salami!
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 716
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2008 2:18:10 PM

Everyone has requirements, but some requirements are judged to be "shallow" and pointless.

Exactly right. And just as people are within their rights to judge others unacceptable due to physical characteristics, others have the right to judge people based on unattractive personal qualities, like ignoring a group of persons based on an inch or two of height. Height queens are within their rights, but no one is forced to like or respect them. Like some have to live with the label 'short', some have to live with the label 'shallow.'

Don't like it? The world isn't fair, you know.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 721
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2008 5:46:39 PM

And they think they've got it hard being judged on weight.

You guys are young, so you probably have no experience with women in their 40s and 50s. Believe me, the aging process is tough on women who rely too much on looks for ego gratification when they start to get older. It's like the Kubler-Ross stages (right name?) of coping with terminal illness - anger, denial etc. I think it's harder on them then it is on us.

If you can't see the value in others beyond physical minutiae, you probably can't see value in yourself either, beyond what's in the mirror.

Really, adherence to media created tastes in looks is a loser's proposition.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 729
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2008 4:49:45 AM

Lots of guys won't go out with a girl if her butt, for example, is too big and I know that some women will always have a big butt no matter how they diet or exercise. Are those guys just as shallow as the women who won't date short guys?

Actually, yes.

And if they put 'I won't date you if you're hiney is more that 48" wide' in their profiles, they're also slobs.

Shallowness is looking at a person solely on physical characteristics, or even more particularly, a single physical characteristic, to the exclusion of any other factor.
 northeast25
Msg: 730
Posted: 5/1/2008 7:32:13 AM
Its harder to be judged by age than weight from my point of view. Although weight limits your pool, it doesn't decimate it. At some point a woman's age is going to drain her pool dry and there is nothing she can do about it.

A woman can't control her age, but some people age more gracefully than others. A woman in her 40s or 50s might not be as attractive now as she was in her 20s. But she can remain reasonably attractive with a good diet, proper exercise, a good wardrobe, hairstyle, proper makeup etc.

I don't understand what all of the fuss is about. Isn't this merely a personal preference? If a women is "shallow" for rejecting a man for being too short, are women who reject men with ugly faces, crooked noses, etc. also shallow? As a guy I can tell you that I wouldn't date a woman with an ugly face - does that make me shallow?

For me, it's not necessary the height preference or requirement itself. It's the false and stereotypical reasons for it. Short men have "Napoleon Complex", taller men have "better genes", taller men can a "protect" a woman better, a woman feels like she is standing next to a child when she is with a short man etc. If a man stated that he doesn't date fat women because he feels all fat women are lazy, unhealthy, smell like pigs etc, he would be harsly criticized for making these comments.

I'm not a height queen, but if someone called me shallow for preferring brunettes over blondes that's completely within their right. You can't please everyone, so you might as well please yourself. Life's too short to worry about labels.

I don't think hair color and height are the same. Some men might prefer blondes, but I don't think a large percentage of these men would reject a woman just because she is a brunette. Even if a few men did reject a woman because she is a brunette, many other men wouldn't care about her hair color or might actually prefer brunettes in some cases. However I think the majority of women ( at least on POF ) want taller men and would reject a man if he is under a certain height
 AFUNLUVINGUY
Msg: 732
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2008 12:27:27 PM
I've read all these responses and frankly I'm appalled at the shallowness of thought in the responses, at what point do people consider the content of ones character, the quality of ones personality etc., these people are the same people that would hate to be judged by the size of or the lack of size of any of there own physical features or by there beauty or lack there of , try and remember people that nobody choses to be a certain way. Women or Men who judge by stature or phisical features should be pittied as they lack the intellectual capacity and understanding that they need to do some serious introspection and work on there own issues before inflicting themselves on anyone else. Generalities of any sort are best to always treat with caution.
 libraaa2008
Msg: 733
Posted: 5/1/2008 12:39:07 PM
I like short guys.....seeing him eye2eye and kissing lips2lips.
 northeast25
Msg: 736
Posted: 5/1/2008 2:43:00 PM
I have a question for the short people on this thread - why would you want someone who doesn't want you? It seems like you're trying to convince them to like you despite a lack of physical attraction.

It's not always about physical attraction. If a woman stated that she is more attracted to taller men, then most people wouldn't have a problem with that. However many women will not date a short man due to false stereotypical reasons such as the ones I mentioned on msg 1471. BTW not all the people on this thread who are criticizing some of the reasons for a woman's height requirement or preference are short. I'm 5' 11". There are some other men around my height who share my viewpoint.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 743
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2008 7:22:18 PM

This seems like one of those pity threads where the fat people complain that thin women don't like them or where people with low-paying jobs complain that women only want guys who make a lot of money.

Actually, this thread is all about giving some poster's a chance to show their superiority over other online daters by calling them 'whiners.'

Check his feet - remember, big feet = big salami!

ummmm.....trust me, it doesn't ALWAYS!

I thank you from the bottom of my (size 8) soles.

If i am too tall...fine , too short....also fine. If you say I am a bore or am ugly or have no personality it would be different.

Nice - you managed to contradict yourself in a single sentence. 'Ugly' and 'short' are both relative terms, and are both physical characteristics. Someone might reject you for being ugly, where your ugliness, like lack of height, is beyond your control. If you're bothered by one, you should be bothered by the other.

Woman want a man other women will want and any imperfection in that man too tall /too short big head / big nose ect. might affect how she feels she looks to her girlfriends and peers when with the man.

I don't know why I'm spending my time on this ... but, choosing a mate based on the approval of others is probably not too bright, as your friends and peers are not going to have to live with the person - you are. And desiring a 'trophy' mate is probably not an indication of great depth in a person - you might even say the person was shallow. Oy.

1. I can understand ladies not wanting to be with a guy shorter than them as I have little interest in being with a girl taller than me. Doesn't make you shallow though.

Agreed. Not wanting to date a nice woman who's an inch taller than you doesn't make you shallow. It makes you kind of an idiot. And leaves another woman eligible for the rest of us.

It's kind of a slow night - no one's weighed in with a 'Napoleon complex' comment in awhile.
 nice_shy_girl
Msg: 748
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2008 6:58:36 AM

I have a question for the short people on this thread - t why would you want someone who doesn't want you? It seems like you're trying to convince them to like you despite a lack of physical attraction.

Lack of physical attraction? I have known some guys who were shorter than me (I am 5'6" tall) and they were very attractive. Just because a guy is short does not make him unattractive.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 749
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2008 10:35:05 PM
If you haven't seen the documentary S&M: Short and Male take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCQJO77U3I
 chuckyB51
Msg: 752
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2008 11:21:27 PM
norseviking869...

The clips on youtube of "S&M: Short and Male" are just a few of a larger 86 minute documentary. Check out shortandmalethemovie.com for more info. Not sure if it ran yet, but Men's Health is also doing an indepth article on short males and how they are treated by women and society.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 756
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2008 4:33:09 AM

I want to hold my girl in my arms and see her looking lovingly up at me while we stand together.

Perhaps it's just me, but this makes me want to barf.

Anyway, I tower over so many people here in the NE men & women.

At 5'6", you're about three inches shorter than the average man. Even in the dreaded four inch heels you do not 'tower' over any significant part of the population. I wasn't aware of a huge height disparity between the Midwest and New England. Given the frequency with which Americans move around, it's hard to see how this could be. On the other hand, Midwesterners seem to vote for a**holes with regrettable frequency, so anything is possible.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 761
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 6:47:32 AM

What about the short guys who don't think that their shortness is a bad thing or something that they should be ashamed of?

They would be the ones getting dates I would assume, no one likes to be around people who feel sorry for themselves. I have a good friend who has MS, she is frequently in pain and struggles daily with her disease... she is also the most active and positive person I know.. and she never complains that her disability holds her back, or that she deserves special treatment. She puts able-bodied people to shame.

My very first boyfriend was 5'3"... never seemed to be a problem for him... my late husband was 6'4"

I don't really care if I find them attractive and they have awesome personalities.. but to be truthful my eyes do tend to notice the taller men first, and the better-lookin' ones. Of course then they frequently open their mouths and ruin the effect. There's so much more to people than just the outside... but beauty and size ARE what we notice first. It's the whole first impression thing, and I believe it is mainly subconscious. More mature people will be able to see the 'more' in others and give it the credence it deserves.

Peace
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 762
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 7:23:41 AM
but beauty and size ARE what we notice first

I'd say very few men are particularly conscious of a woman's height, if at all. It certainly means nothing to me. Sorry, but that's a gal thing.

Self confidence is an important component of getting dates, as is the efficient use of one's time. Shallow women, and women who are excessively anal about physical traits, are time wasters, which is one reason why this discussion is important for men to have.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 763
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 9:59:26 AM
Very few men are conscious of a lot of things, especially details.. why do you think we have to point out a new hairstyle, or outfit? (woman) "honey, what do you think?" (man) um-oh *what the hell am I supposed to notice?* "looks great sweetheart!"

I would think men would be more conscious about a women who was taller than average than the height of a woman who was short or average, especially if they were topping the six foot mark...just a hunch.

Peace
 c_deacon
Msg: 764
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 10:15:24 AM
Absolutely........It all is relative to your size and what you want, or wants you.......

I think the first thing I notice when I see a female, will be the over all attractiveness and looks of that person, then I will notice the height and condition of that person. The shoes she may be wearing, the clothes and over all symmetry.

I am caught in that same complex situation that many women seem to be, and that is that I prefer to be with another that is my height or smaller, and not with someone that makes me feel smaller in stature overall.

When I see women and have to look up at them instead of into their eyes, or down to their eyes, it does have an effect on me. If a woman is 5'10" and puts four inch heels on, the symmetry of the two of us just is not right with my 5'10" frame. Just as women enjoy wearing heels and how it makes them look and feel, men enjoy having women in heels as much.

This also can be with body frame and weight as well, and as a man that is not large in stature, I prefer to have my dates be my size or smaller........all a matter of preferences....

Just my opinion........
 northeast25
Msg: 765
Posted: 5/8/2008 10:38:14 AM
I would think men would be more conscious about a women who was taller than average than the height of a woman who was short or average, especially if they were topping the six foot mark...just a hunch.

Maybe some men would, but many other men don't care about height or actually prefer taller women. Women generally care about height than men do. BTW less than 1% of women are at least 6 ft tall or more.
 yarimelma
Msg: 766
Posted: 5/8/2008 10:51:13 AM
I rejected more wimminz because of their height then they rejected me...
One thing I cant stand is the tall wimminz....yikes!
such a turn off....
 TheEmeraldTeardrop
Msg: 770
Posted: 5/9/2008 8:22:52 AM
I'm not too concerned about height.

Good people who "get you" and match you are extremely hard to find in this life. If you find one, you hold onto them as tight as you can and consider yourself lucky. If that means the person is a couple of inches shorter than you then that's ok.

That being said there are some men who think height is the ONLY issue as to why they are not getting dates and that's just not true. Even if you were taller overnight there could still be deal breakers at work against you.

I have never met an extremely wealthy short guy who was alone not by his own choice. I think men need a better job of doing the math at what motivate most women.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 772
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2008 4:53:43 PM
Last weekend I had my once-per-millennia evening out. Even more rare, it was a dress up evening out. Naturally, given my forum height obsession, I started noticing women, their heels, and their dates. I immediately saw couples where the woman, in heels, was either at her date's height or a little over. Then I realized that such couples were not uncommon at all. And at the end of the night, I realized that heel assisted women who were as tall as their partners were probably half of all couples at the event. My explanation: most women actually have enough SELF-CONFIDENCE in their own femininity that being at the same height as their partners makes no difference.

I've also been keeping up with another forum thread about a man engaged to a woman who finds out that she's eight years older than she told him. He's wondering whether he should call off the marriage. Check out the rage being directed at this guy by female posters ! I'm not really shocked by the number of women that think they have a right to lie about their ages, but I am shocked about their passion in defending their right to do so - and their insistence that 'age is just a number.' Well, height's just a number, too. Wouldn't you love to know how many height queens who dropped by this thread to belittle men for a single physical characteristic had shaved a few years of their ages? More than few, I'd guess. I'd love to see the verbal gymnastics explaining why finding someone unattractive due to height is cool, while age based judgments are a crime against humanity.

When I first started reading this thread, the women, and men too, who stopped by just to say, 'sorry, but I'm just not attracted to short guys' or 'I want to see my girl looking up at me' annoyed me. I now think they're funny, like people who are always getting goofed on for saying idiotic things. In other words, I'm not laughing with them. If you're middle aged, and you're advertising yourself here on PoF because you can't get dates, and you think wanting a tall man 'because you like to wear heels' is just common sense, you need to smarten up. If you can. Really.

And post your real age.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 774
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 10:02:04 AM

8 times as many people on whatever dating site it is they were studying were age 29

Wouldn't surprise me. I'd broaden that to include ages ending in 9 generally. They seem overrepresented.

And certainly, men lie about their ages too. I caught someone I knew slightly claiming to be years younger than me, when I knew he'd graduated from high school years ahead. Very amusing.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 775
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 4:15:46 PM

I really don't understand why you guys are still talking about this......

Well Yari, these are the forums, and the forums are for talk. No talk, no forums, no fun.

I think we're performing a service ... to humanity.
 northeast25
Msg: 776
Posted: 5/10/2008 4:27:40 PM
there are tons of beautiful short wimminz out there 5'0-5'3 ......

Going after shorter women doesn't necessary improve the chances of short men. There are plenty of women in that height range who wouldn't date a man who is 5' 5" or 5' 6" because he doesn't match their height requirement.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >