Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 picker_grinner
Msg: 71
The PIC or the ProfilePage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
most blocked guy on here ^
 alotlikebeck
Msg: 73
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:16:44 AM
when looking through this site for people, i can be drawn to someone by a catchy headline, or an interesting photo.
i then read the profile, and if it still holds my attention, then half the battle is done.
i feel that the bestway to find compatible partners here is by keyword interest searches.
overall, appearance doesn't really matter to me as much as a persons interests, and personality, but a nice picture can still help, at least then you can know who it is to be looking for, when and if you go on that first date / meeting.
before i had a picture up in here, i got very few responses.
now that i have some pics up i've gotten more responses, but i don't really like the idea that the same me was overlooked before, because i didn't have a pic.
the only thing that having a pic on my profile really shows, is that i had nothing better to do with a few hundred dollars than waste it on a digital camera.
i don't know, they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" but i feel that the words may be worth alot more when it comes to searching for someone that you want to spend time with.
 rc1122
Msg: 74
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 10:31:36 AM
I look at everything. Its not fair that you judge someone just by their photo or what they look like which seems what mostly everyone deals with. Remember a photo is only a still image of your looks! Not your personality. One thing I can't deal with when I view a profile is grammar. I dont mind not using punctuation but grammar and slang is a no.
 K_Dub1
Msg: 76
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:16:28 AM
The first profiles I choose to read, are the ones with pics posted. 1) no surprises 2)equal opportunity (my pic is up here too, why should they need to hide?)
If I can't find anyone interesting from the picture profiles, then MAYBE I entertain the thought of reading those without, although without nearly as much interest (I assume that they are ugly)
 MzFish
Msg: 77
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:19:59 AM
I look at both:-)
 WhereForArtThou
Msg: 78
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:46:12 AM
I am more about the profile. I have better conversations, and more meet-ups with men who don't have a public picture up. Usually, we talk a little in messages, then we share pictures. I like it. And it brings men who are more concerned with what's on the inside, then men who are superficial.

But not everyone can deal with the no picture right up front thing. It's not for everyone.
 SunnyTexas
Msg: 79
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 10/10/2007 12:32:32 PM
I admit I look at the picture first, because it's the first thing you see. I don't correspond with those without pictures.

I then look to see how they answered the smoking questions. If they are a smoker - I continue on to read their profile, if not...then I click on.

I'm a smoker and will only date smokers. Simple really.

A non smoker is less likely to respond or flat out block you from writing. I just wish I could filter to accept ONLY smokers.
 cutiepiems
Msg: 80
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 1/29/2008 7:43:01 AM
If I don't like their picture I am not interested in their profile Period........
 freefishy
Msg: 81
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:09:43 PM
I agree with jezika s. On dating websites people are only initially exposed to the picture of the person. If that person in the picture is attractive, you click it. From there its up to the individual on wether they are going to actually put some effort into meeting the person they find attractive and read the profile. Maybe some only want to fling through thier lives, but those looking for something with substance will actually read the profile to see how compatible the other person might be in relation to thier own needs. Either way, you cant change the way people are. You should write a long profile just to see how much interest the person really has in you. That will likely translate into how much effort the person will put into satisfying your needs in a relationship. Just a thought.
 ml456
Msg: 82
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:46:40 PM
Usually both. However I wouldn't necessary reject a man simply because his photos aren't that great. Photos can give a basic of idea of what someone looks like. However there are many people would look better ( or worse ) in person that they do in a photo.
 L80nw8ng
Msg: 83
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:59:10 PM
I dont waste my time looking at a profile without a pic.

A profile without a pic, is like fishing without bait.

JustCallMeAmy
Msg: 84
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/16/2008 8:16:00 PM
I'm a reader. Pic or no pic I'm going to read it. I look for the more humorous profiles.

I just love those men that send me an email about how "intriguing" my profile is...then ask me to check out theirs. So I do....and its just about blank. No about me section....no first date crap. Just the basic stats! If you cant waste your precious time to write a sentence or two about yourself on your profile...why should I waste my time sending you an email?
 Vannili
Msg: 86
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/17/2008 1:08:56 AM
I studied the picture, face don't lie but profiles lies. Like a person said he does'nt drink but the face says he is an alcoholic. :
 Vannili
Msg: 87
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/17/2008 1:13:24 AM
I have learned that people who don't post photo or post blurry photos are married .
 pink_camo
Msg: 88
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:46:18 AM
If I like the pic, I read the profile.

I dont read the profiles of those that do not have pics.
It just seems to me as they're hiding something... I could be wrong.. this is just what I do!
 SunnyTexas
Msg: 89
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 12:23:47 PM
Well I think it's better to correspond with someone who has a picture, heck...it could be a trap, like an ex or someone just messin' with ya....can you say mrs. doubtfire ?
 JohnSeven
Msg: 90
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:38:48 PM
I mean, obviously one is going to look at the pic first. I guess I am not understanding how you are going to read a profile without first seeing the pic?

Its like a car...are you going to look under the hood before u see the exterior??

of course, us guy folks are supposedly "visual"...I guess that means we want to be attracted to someone in order to spend time with them??

of course, I also might glance at a profile even if im not majorly attracted to someone because some people have some interestign stuff in the profile

read a profile of someone WITHOUT a pic?? uhmm, no
 zestyvirginia
Msg: 91
view profile
History
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 7:20:46 PM
Both but pic first and then to see if they have words to back up thir looks.. When they are fat {men} and say they want a thin lady???very funny?
 JohnSeven
Msg: 92
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:12:00 PM
Anyone ever see the trippy old b&W film of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? (with Angela Lansbury)

Dont tell me a picture cant tell a story.

I dont even understand the people who put pics up on a DATING SITE and they have 5 pics and they look miserable in every pic. I know life can be hard but at least TRY to smile.

People think guys just look for big boobs or T&A. Pffft, whatever. I look for bright eyes with some life in them. Who wants to get involved with a lifeless zombie?

Its all about energy and life. If a person cant even muster a small spark or smile for a pic on a dating site, the long term prospects dont seem that great.
 WWJDTLS50
Msg: 93
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:57:59 PM
Well most of the time I see the picture first, it is there. I always read everything on the profile. There is no way I would e-mail someone just by looking at their picture. I won't to know what is in their heart first. Sometimes you can tell sometimes you can't. I as a rule just wait for someone to contact me. I figure men really don't want a women who starts by chasing them. I am very old fashion so I was raised to let the man take the lead. I want someone to love me first so that I know they are really interested. I feel things always seem to go smoother if they like what they saw and read first. Of coarse my profile has been deleted so you really can't tell much about me now.
 tropicalfish09
Msg: 94
The PIC or the Profile
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:04:22 AM

What do you all look at when you are browsing this site? Do you just look at the picture or do you really look at what they say in the profile?

I always read their profile and see if the description in profile is at least somewhat a match with mine. I always provide pictures once we have chatted a bit but if someone has absolutly made up their mind not to talk to anyone without immediate picture, then I figure they're not for me anyway!
Yes its the net and lot of taking chances involved but if we're not willing to understand that then we cant expect change to happen.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >