Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Classical MusicPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
A nice choice on Water Music
 ThorntonReed
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/3/2012 3:49:19 PM
Yes Debussys piano stuff is great, very interesting harmony.

Anyone heard any John Tavaner?
 lagoda
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/5/2012 10:10:41 PM
And holy hell, because of that I found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjufc7GMrCs

Mind blowing

Yes it is. I generally have a hard time listening to metal and hard rock. Thanks to symphonic rock I've been gradually introduced to some amazing otherwise overlooked bands. Strings are perfect for the intense staccato of metal and hard rock beats.

Did I mention also the hot, haughty string twang thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzABtQ9iCA
 lagoda
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/5/2012 10:55:08 PM
If I may make a segue into jazz, speaking of classically trained composers, I love Astor Piazzolla who blended jazz and classical and created nuevo tango -
Astor Piazzolla - Chin Chin (Live in Montreal 1984) [HQ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qke4Fnh5ARQ

Modern Classical -
The Cinematic Orchestra, Arrival Of The Birds and Transformation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRubS4h-RE

Claude Debussy
Claire De Lune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q32jEWJaS6Y&feature=BFp&list=WLDD90208B3C609E82

RyJFa
Msg: 77
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 5/6/2012 10:20:23 AM
I have a mild degree of physically-oriented musical synesthesia, and have found that classical music affects me more profoundly than do most popularly and contemporary styles. I was blown away the first few times I heard Wagner's "Pilgrim's Chorus" and Prokofiev's "Romance" from Lieutenant Kije. Rachmaninoff's piano concertos are all very nice. also enjoy Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Sviridov, Beethoven, Ravel's "Bolero," and a little bit of Mozart and Bach. I'm a bigger fan of 19th and 20th century Russian music than anything else. My Russian friends are consistently impressed by how many weird, Soviet-era songs I know the lyrics to.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 78
Classical Music
Posted: 5/6/2012 1:54:32 PM

If I may make a segue into jazz, speaking of classically trained composers, I love Astor Piazzolla who blended jazz and classical and created nuevo tango

Might I introduce you to Kapustin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLUI5KKjpk
 lagoda
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/6/2012 3:12:58 PM

Might I introduce you to Kapustin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLUI5KKjpk

Yes. Kapustin is very easy to listen to. Chick Corea's melodies are reminiscent of this piece.

I'll be listening to more. Thank you for that link.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/6/2012 3:53:23 PM

Strings are perfect for the intense staccato of metal and hard rock beats.

Strings and drums, yeah.

And brass and drums are good for hiphop?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVwfZrVXCg&feature=related
 PhotoGirl870
Msg: 81
Classical Music
Posted: 6/28/2012 1:49:11 PM
No, you are NOT the only one! I <3 them!! Most of those are favorites on my Iheart radio station.
 musicminusone
Msg: 82
Classical Music
Posted: 9/2/2012 1:52:27 PM
I'm glad to see that I'M not the only one! In fact I'm a professional violinist!
 lukecash12
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/12/2012 2:34:36 PM
Bumping this thread to see if there how many classical music enthusiasts are left around here. As for myself, I couldn't pretend to have a favorite or just a few favorites in the world of classical music. There is just too much good material out there, too many schools of music. I could go with Perotin, Ockeghem, Josquin de Prez, or other polyphonic church composers, or I could go with great Lutheran composers like Graupner, Telemman, Buxtehude, or J.S. Bach. And that's just early period classical music. But I will say that the Renaissance and Baroque periods are my favorite, and that my favorite form is the cantata.

Here's my favorite quartet, by Schubert (Der Tod und das Madchen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42GrmR4U2Y

And my favorite cantata, by none other than J.S. Bach (Wachet auf ruft uns die stimme):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sj-NKqR0tw

A church cantata by German composer Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), with the cantata chorale based on the Lutheran hymn "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" ("Sleepers awake, the voice is calling") by Philipp Nicolai. The text is based on the Parable of the Ten Virgins in Matthew 25:1-13, the reading of which is scheduled for the 27th Sunday after Trinity in the Lutheran lectionary. This cantata was first performed in Leipzig on November 25, 1731. Bach later transcribed the fourth movement chorale for organ (BWV 645) and published it along with the Schübler Chorales.

English text:

I. (Chorus)

Wake ye maids! hard, strikes the hour,
The watchman calls high on the tower,
Awake, awake, Jerusalem.
Midnight strikes, hear, hear it sounding,
Loud cries the watch, with call resounding:
Where are ye, o wise virgins, where?
Good cheer, the Bridegroom come,
Arise and take your lamps!
Alleluja!
Ye maids beware:
The feast prepare,
So go ye forth to meet Him there.

II. Recitative:

He comes.
The Bridegroom comes!
And Zion's daughter shall rejoice,
He hastens to her dwelling claiming
The maiden of his choice.
The Bridegroom comes; as is a roebuck,
Yea, like a lusty mountain roebuck,
Fleet and fair,
His marriage feast he bids you share.
Arise and take your lamps!
In eagerness to greet him;
Come! hasten, sally forth to meet him.

III. Aria (Duet)

[Soul] Come quickly, now come.
[Jesus] Yea quickly I come.
[Soul] We wait thee with lamps all alighted!
The doors open wide,
Come claim me my bride!
[Jesus] The doors open wide,
I claim me my bride.
[Soul] Come quickly!
[Jesus] Forever in rapture united

IV. Chorale

Zion hears the watchmen calling,
The Faithful hark with joy enthralling,
They rise and haste to greet their Lord.
See, He comes, the Lord victorious,
Almighty, noble, true and glorious,
In Heav'n supreme, on earth adored.
Come now, Thou Holy One,
The Lord Jehovah's Son!
Alleluja!
We follow all
The joyful call
To join Him in the Banquet Hall!

V. Recitative

So come thou unto me,
My fair and chosen bride,
Thou whom I long to see
Forever by my side.
Within my heart of hearts
Art thou secure by ties that naught can sever,
Where I may cherish thee forever.
Forget, beloved, ev'ry care,
Away with pain and grief and sadness,
For better or for worse to share
Our lives in love and joy and gladness.

VI. Aria (Duet)

[Soul] Thy love is mine,
[Jesus] And I am thine!
[Both] True lovers ne'er are parted.
[Soul] Now I with thee, and thou with me.
[Jesus] In flow'ry field will wander,
[Both] In rapture united forever to be.

VII. Chorale

Gloria sing all our voices,
With Angels all mankind rejoices,
With harp and strings in sweetest tone.
Twelve bright Pearls adorn Thy Portals,
As Angels round Thy glorious Throne.
No ear has ever heard
The joy we know.
Our praises flow,
Eeo, eeo,
To God in dulci jubilo.

Text of the Parable of the Ten Virgins:

Matthew 25:1-13 (WEB)

'Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten virgins, who took their lamps, and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. Those who were foolish, when they took their lamps, took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. Now while the bridegroom delayed, they all slumbered and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, "Behold! The bridegroom is coming! Come out to meet him!" Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But the wise answered, saying, "What if there isn't enough for us and you? You go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves." While they went away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins also came, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us." But he answered, "Most certainly I tell you, I don't know you." Watch therefore, for you don't know the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.'
 lukecash12
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/12/2012 2:51:52 PM
Now, why bother with classical music, you might ask? It's not at all trendy, probably sounds stuffy, or up it's own arse. But it's not at all about taste for me. It's about the themes, about how this music expresses the culture and history of the west succinctly. Art music is an emotional index of the history of man. It reflects the philosophies of it's time, refers to us the literature of the time, it beguiles everyone who is educated in it. The charm of it isn't merely in the finding sounds that you like, but in engrossing yourself with the narrative, the developments in music theory, the masterful way in which they express themselves. The conventions and instruments they used were more incidental than was their coming to terms with them and using them to paint an image with sound. Prokofeiv and Bach may have used different aesthetics and musical devices to express revulsion, but they both did nonetheless.

And one of my main other motivations for studying classical music, is the prevalence of church music in this tradition. I feel ministered to by Bach, Graupner, Pachelbel, and Buxtehude, with their inspiring text and reverent music. This must truly be the greatest tradition of church music. It covers the entire bible, reflects the different theological traditions, and it employs so many different musical devices to bring the text to life right in front of you. Modern church music doesn't employ onomatopoeia, implied characters, story-like narratives, theme and variation, contrapuntal figures, etc. This classical church music doesn't apologize at all for what it is by meeting with trends. It is simply religious fervor in it's purist form. It is sound taken form as emotion. Popular church music doesn't even quote the text of the bible any more. This tradition that I love not only quotes the bible, but uses overlooked texts, things you don't even see discussed in church any more. Bach once said that all music ought to be made for glory of God.
 Ostinato
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/12/2012 10:13:44 PM
I recently got into Sciabin's works. It brings back the joy of listening classical I have lost for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooIt_I1ETpk
 Rheostatic
Msg: 87
Classical Music
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:11:48 PM
The unfortunate thing about classical music is that while I can be enjoyed by everyone, it really takes a lot of dedication to truly understand it. There's a reason Bolero, Canon in D, Moonlight Sonata, etc. are so popular...because they're relatively simple. But when you get into the real meaty stuff, the more you know about the form of the piece (form is everything), the history of the composition and composer, the harmonic language he's using, the orchestration the composer chose, etc., the more enjoyable it becomes.

For me, anyways. I'm a music nerd. I once took out the score for Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe from the music library and studied the harmonies and orchestration for a week instead of writing a music history paper. Ahh, the 'ol music school days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLdMySuaEg
 lukecash12
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/14/2012 7:52:44 PM

Sure you're not the only one. There are many people out there of all ages who appreciate classical music. I am a classically trained musician and teacher of music and I receive a lot of interest from students both young and old interested in studying classical music. It's interesting though to see the amount of women on here who state on their profile 'I love any music except classical'. Sigh...

Yes, that is really unfortunate. And I find it very attractive when a woman likes classical music.
 sophie0321
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:00 PM
i like Mozart Bach Beethoven and Brahms , chopin .
but now i canot play ,,just can play Czerny
 Amade
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/24/2012 10:47:07 AM
Nooooo!
i'm a Mozart addict..
don't get why people are hostile to it..
there's nothing like it!
I'm not an expert,just love it!
 Unamorparami
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/24/2012 11:32:11 AM
On Halloween I went with my musician nephew to a "very scary" organ recital by the American Guild of Organists at a local church that has a 1.5 million dollar organ. Everyone dressed up. (My favorite was a guy that came dressed as the Big Bad Wolf, huge head and giant tongue hanging out). The place was decorated for Halloween. Naturally, it was all classical music (and not just the scary Bach's Toccata and Fuge), and was spectacular! This year I didn't, but next year I'm going in costume - hopefully with a date!
 VERYENGLISHWOMAN
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 11/27/2012 4:43:16 PM
Hi there

I don't think there are any cultural men on POF but then, I found you!!

Please take a look at my profile and get in touch if you feel I meet your criteria.

JJ x
 shilohsgirl
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 12/7/2012 7:58:14 PM
Absolutely not! I am a classically trained pianist. I love listening to oldies, jazz, pop and contemporary christian but classical brings me back to college days when the rehearsal rooms were full of panicked recital students, straining to get every note right.....and rehearsal halls were filled with the boys we all wanted to marry someday. Well, my musician did a flop on me 24 years later, but that's another forum. lol Thanks classical listeners!
 shilohsgirl
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of classical music on this site?
Posted: 12/7/2012 8:05:26 PM
Hi richard,
I would love to talk piano with you.....maybe even learn some things from you. I am a classically trained pianist from the 80's and 90's.....getting rusty now. Have NOBODY out here to talk "piano" with. Please change that.
 ClassyT81
Msg: 95
Classical Music
Posted: 3/6/2013 10:18:38 PM
My favorite genre of music by far. It has been difficult to find people my age without an extensive musical background who are classical fans. There is definitely still the perception among many of the genre being elitist, "high-brow" and inaccessible. Chopin is my first love, who recently celebrated a birthday by the way. Especially drawn to virtuoso solo piano works and concertos, particularly from 19th and 20th centuries (Liszt, Alkan, Prokofiev, Sorabji, Medtner, etc). Big fan of the Russians, especially Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky. Nothing to stir the emotions like a good Mahler symphony or massage the brain like the Well-Tempered Clavier. Starting to develop my appreciation of chamber music. Still working on vocal music and opera, but not quite there yet.
 kinksrayfan
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 3/9/2013 2:08:56 PM
There is a Mozart concerto I had on cassette years ago, piano. In B something or other. I'm looking for it and can't find it anywhere. Probably my favorite piece of classical music. It's really upbeat.
 jed456
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:12:06 PM

This is a symphonic poem I'm working on. These are the best sounds I can get with my music program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNevv07bxA

I just came across this thread you have talent. It sounds medieval in a good way to me with some Irish thrown in.

As for listening to classic music I like Tchaikovsky 18 12 overture my favorite!
Vivaldi the four seasons
bolero
Wagner especially flight of the valkyries
 travelingmkey
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:04:17 PM
Vivaldi, Brahm, Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Favorite is Vivaldi's Four Seasons, you can feel the season changes in the music.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >