Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classical Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VERYENGLISHWOMAN
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Classical MusicPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Hi there

I don't think there are any cultural men on POF but then, I found you!!

Please take a look at my profile and get in touch if you feel I meet your criteria.

JJ x
 shilohsgirl
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 12/7/2012 7:58:14 PM
Absolutely not! I am a classically trained pianist. I love listening to oldies, jazz, pop and contemporary christian but classical brings me back to college days when the rehearsal rooms were full of panicked recital students, straining to get every note right.....and rehearsal halls were filled with the boys we all wanted to marry someday. Well, my musician did a flop on me 24 years later, but that's another forum. lol Thanks classical listeners!
 shilohsgirl
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of classical music on this site?
Posted: 12/7/2012 8:05:26 PM
Hi richard,
I would love to talk piano with you.....maybe even learn some things from you. I am a classically trained pianist from the 80's and 90's.....getting rusty now. Have NOBODY out here to talk "piano" with. Please change that.
 ClassyT81
Msg: 104
Classical Music
Posted: 3/6/2013 10:18:38 PM
My favorite genre of music by far. It has been difficult to find people my age without an extensive musical background who are classical fans. There is definitely still the perception among many of the genre being elitist, "high-brow" and inaccessible. Chopin is my first love, who recently celebrated a birthday by the way. Especially drawn to virtuoso solo piano works and concertos, particularly from 19th and 20th centuries (Liszt, Alkan, Prokofiev, Sorabji, Medtner, etc). Big fan of the Russians, especially Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky. Nothing to stir the emotions like a good Mahler symphony or massage the brain like the Well-Tempered Clavier. Starting to develop my appreciation of chamber music. Still working on vocal music and opera, but not quite there yet.
 Coma White
Msg: 105
Classical Music
Posted: 3/7/2013 12:35:24 AM
I got a chance to perform Carmina Burana and Dido and Aeneas. It was really fun. I've loved classical music since I was really young.
 Coma White
Msg: 106
Classical Music
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:41:43 PM

Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D is one of my FAVOURITES!!! It's very common though...

Antonio Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" is PHENOMENAL!!!

Igor Stravinsky is sheer genius...my sister was fortunate enough to see him conduct once :)

Classical music is beyond soothing and I think helps heal from within...

That's cool. Those pieces are really good, even if they are overplayed. Why don't you check out some cool pieces like Matona Mia Cara by Orlando di Lasso, Little Fugie in G Minor by JS Bach, O Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridson, Les Barricades Mysterieuses by Francious Couperin, or Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz? I'm a big fan of those ones.
 risorgiva
Msg: 107
Classical Music
Posted: 3/9/2013 2:04:24 PM
Der Ring des Nibelungen, Beethoven's Symphony number 9, Vivaldi's Four Season, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.
 kinksrayfan
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 3/9/2013 2:08:56 PM
There is a Mozart concerto I had on cassette years ago, piano. In B something or other. I'm looking for it and can't find it anywhere. Probably my favorite piece of classical music. It's really upbeat.
 glass_cloud
Msg: 109
Classical Music
Posted: 3/10/2013 12:47:37 PM
I love The Planets by Gustav Holst, and more modern composers such as Ludovico Einaudi, Olafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm.
 Coma White
Msg: 110
Classical Music
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:00:00 PM
Does anyone else here write their own classical music? I've been working on a few pieces but I've only had my atonal music played in concert. I'd love to have my music played by a symphony orchestra someday.

This is a symphonic poem I'm working on. These are the best sounds I can get with my music program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNevv07bxA
 jed456
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:12:06 PM

This is a symphonic poem I'm working on. These are the best sounds I can get with my music program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNevv07bxA

I just came across this thread you have talent. It sounds medieval in a good way to me with some Irish thrown in.

As for listening to classic music I like Tchaikovsky 18 12 overture my favorite!
Vivaldi the four seasons
bolero
Wagner especially flight of the valkyries
 travelingmkey
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:04:17 PM
Vivaldi, Brahm, Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Favorite is Vivaldi's Four Seasons, you can feel the season changes in the music.
 fashionbrains4u
Msg: 113
Classical Music
Posted: 3/21/2013 11:19:05 AM
u are not alone - but ...i think the same ...no one
I love bach, debussy, satie, mozart , wagner ,
baroque ...i always adored purcell , the castratrati voices ...pure delight !
vivaldi when i was little, i played the 4 seasons all the time

But i am an euro...maybe u are alone w your fellow americans, hihi
 Michael_J_C
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/21/2013 1:33:16 PM
Two years ago I did a series of concert in parks in the early morning so that parents with little kids could hear some music and it would be accessible. So I actually programmed everything to be modern composers, mid twentieth century through today to show that there is still valid concert music being written, and that modern concert music can be completely approachable. It was a lot of fun! It was also fun to find the compositions - pieces by F. Kleynjans, A. Jobim, D. Ellington, P. Forastiere, A. Jakola, D. Qualey and G. Biberian.

It went so well I might do it again when this Spring warms up. I would like to do a program of late 19th century Brazilian songs and American parlor music.

I'm not sure why or how concert music went off the rails and out of popular culture, but it really never should have. It is for everybody, and it speaks to all of us as all worthwhile art does. It is also a living document of its era, and can be as evocative as a scent in painting a landscape. Aside from all that, it's fun! It needs to be brought back to everyone as a shared culture, even just a way to make people smile.
 TheAnswerGuy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:53:05 PM
Before the day is gone.....

Happy Birthday to Johann Sebastian Bach!

328 today.........
 Mac-1
Msg: 116
Classical Music
Posted: 3/22/2013 10:46:55 AM
I'm listening to Sure On This Shining Night by Samuel Barber and sung by Felicity Lott, a lot, on Spotify. It's sublime.
 Redfan45
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/22/2013 12:22:08 PM
If you consider the medieval troubadours and stuff from than and earlier classical music than yes I do.
 TheAnswerGuy
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:55:25 PM

Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D is one of my FAVOURITES!!! It's very common though...

This piece of music may be the reason why so many people cry at weddings.
 AlieaKova
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/23/2013 9:46:44 PM
I love the works of Hector Berlioz.

There are too many good pieces of classical music to list. But I do love Bach's Little Fugue.
 glass_cloud
Msg: 120
Classical Music
Posted: 3/25/2013 1:07:50 PM
Went to a show last week where they played this, amongst others. First time going to see an orchestra live and I loved it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VzyYZkS6U
 Albvs
Msg: 121
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:55:06 PM
Awe, definitely. I was a band geek and can't say that I discovered classical music until much later. Actually had a baby grand piano and was studying music theory and everything. Rented a violin, bought a cello... you know the drill.

Bach (Partita N.2 for Violin Sarabande), Mozart, Beethoven of course (fascinated by the Well-Tempered Clavier and Bach's Cello Suite)
Rachmaninoff (C# minor Prelude)
Chopin (Revolutionary Etude)
Satie (Gymnopédie N.2) <- I prefer it on the classical guitar, actually

And thought I'd share...

Chris Thile (Nickel Creek) Bach E Major Prelude on the mandolin :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSZ40V0teGM

Bach's Cantata 140 - Sleeper's Awake on the classical guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8czdx_AOM

Could probably figure out a way of uploading me playing the Malaguena on Spanish guitar if anyone's interested.
 Igneous01
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/31/2013 2:20:42 PM
I listen to a lot of classical. I tend to hover around late romantic and the post modern eras lately.

Listen to lots of Scriabin, Kosenko, Chopin, Alkan, Liszt. Schnittke is my favorite post modern composer.
 GreyPundit
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/5/2013 7:17:00 AM
I've always wanted a sweatshirt that says 'Play some Vivaldi damn it!'

I love baroque (concertos rule), medieval, renaissance dance, choral, there are a few overtures I like well enough, and of course, those old melancholy piano pieces. Not into opera or the romantics. JS & CPE Bach, Pergolesi (widely known for other stuff, has some excellent, obscure, and exceedingly hard to find flute concertos), Vivaldi, Telemann , Handel, Orff, Segovia, Quantz, Scarlatti, etc. etc...

I used to listen to public radio at work all the time, until I moved into this backwards town where everyone ways 'wut' if you say NPR. Shame, this seriously limits my exposure to new material and to allot of programming that I've enjoyed for years on end. Thanks for posting this thread.
 stingo
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/6/2013 8:33:45 PM
Wow it's been ages since I've visited the PoF forums and here I stumble on to a classical music thread.
I recently attended a performance of the St. Matthew Passion and it was wonderful. It's unfortunate that Bach does not find his way into the concert hall more often, and the same could be readily said for his contemporaries.

I think internet radio would be a way to make more musical discoveries. I know I have with the public radio stations on the web, but also subscription services like Rhapsody.
 risorgiva
Msg: 125
Classical Music
Posted: 4/11/2013 12:28:37 PM
Chopin was a worthy representative of the gothic/romantic movement of Europa. Some of his pieces are extremely enlightening and full of pathos as romanticism was aimed to be, remember Goethe's young Werther as true symbol of that epoch.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classical Music