Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 108
Are there ANY fans of Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Awe, definitely. I was a band geek and can't say that I discovered classical music until much later. Actually had a baby grand piano and was studying music theory and everything. Rented a violin, bought a cello... you know the drill.

Bach (Partita N.2 for Violin Sarabande), Mozart, Beethoven of course (fascinated by the Well-Tempered Clavier and Bach's Cello Suite)
Rachmaninoff (C# minor Prelude)
Chopin (Revolutionary Etude)
Satie (Gymnopédie N.2) <- I prefer it on the classical guitar, actually

And thought I'd share...

Chris Thile (Nickel Creek) Bach E Major Prelude on the mandolin :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSZ40V0teGM

Bach's Cantata 140 - Sleeper's Awake on the classical guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8czdx_AOM

Could probably figure out a way of uploading me playing the Malaguena on Spanish guitar if anyone's interested.
 Igneous01
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 3/31/2013 2:20:42 PM
I listen to a lot of classical. I tend to hover around late romantic and the post modern eras lately.

Listen to lots of Scriabin, Kosenko, Chopin, Alkan, Liszt. Schnittke is my favorite post modern composer.
 stingo
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/6/2013 8:33:45 PM
Wow it's been ages since I've visited the PoF forums and here I stumble on to a classical music thread.
I recently attended a performance of the St. Matthew Passion and it was wonderful. It's unfortunate that Bach does not find his way into the concert hall more often, and the same could be readily said for his contemporaries.

I think internet radio would be a way to make more musical discoveries. I know I have with the public radio stations on the web, but also subscription services like Rhapsody.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 112
Classical Music
Posted: 4/11/2013 3:03:42 PM

Wow it's been ages since I've visited the PoF forums and here I stumble on to a classical music thread.
I recently attended a performance of the St. Matthew Passion and it was wonderful. It's unfortunate that Bach does not find his way into the concert hall more often, and the same could be readily said for his contemporaries.

Bach is still one of the most "performed" composers of all time, and will continue to be. 9 chances out of 10 you'll hear him at solo recitals, chamber music and string orchestra concerts, choral concerts, etc. Hell pop into a church on a Sunday and odds are you'll hear an organist playing his music.

It's just rare to hear him at the symphony, because the symphony as we know it didn't exist in his time. Major orchestras throw together one of the Passions or Oratorios when they can, but you're more likely to hear his larger works performed by chamber orchestras than the big name symphonies.
 junipermoon
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/13/2013 5:46:34 AM
i have a background in classical dance, so i grew up hearing all the great ballet composers. i still love stravinsky, gershwin, bernstein and copland.

i have to throw tchaikovsky in there, even though 'nutcracker' gets on my nerves.

as i get older, i appreciate prokefiev more and consider him one of the most important 20th century composers.

recently i started listening to gottschalk and i think i'd love to choreograph pieces to his work. i find him wonderfully complex, with great melodies that don't get on my nerves.

i favor piano composers who don't feel the need to bog down the melodies with extra instruments.
 SoftFacade
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 4/13/2013 8:55:08 PM
I love classical music. I am learning ( am a beginner) how to sing art songs in foreign languages. I used to love piano and can play a little bit, but I am really into cello now, and will start to learn how to play cello someday.
 stingo
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/20/2013 10:55:35 PM
I wasn't saying he was underperformed (or unperformed) - just that the concert hall rarely sees his works done. I think the venues you've mentioned are a different case/story. Passions and oratorios are one thing - I was thinking more along the lines of his concerti and suites performed by suitably sized ensembles from chamber orchestras and/or symphonies.
 stingo
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 4/20/2013 11:04:34 PM

i have to throw tchaikovsky in there, even though 'nutcracker' gets on my nerves.

I've a friend who was a ballerina (retired now) and she can't stand the Nutcracker, having danced it umpteenth times when she was performing.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 117
Classical Music
Posted: 4/20/2013 11:21:36 PM
Claude Debussy
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 5/14/2013 9:57:08 PM
Classical is the sh!t. I likes me some of that. This is a good rendition -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65oWFMSoK0&list=PL29149A59BC3943B9&index=1
 Proteaus
Msg: 119
Classical Music
Posted: 5/30/2013 7:33:19 PM
Haven't played in a number of years but can still tune a violin by ear :)
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Classical Music
Posted: 6/3/2013 3:43:25 PM
Love Eric Satie and most Romantic Ballet music having a background in ballet. Love pointe shoes (especially Freeds pink) and tutus.
@Proteaus...former flute player here...those were good times in the band.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >