Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YamIhere
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What is the most important part of a relationship to you?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
FG, That’s an interesting way to put it, but a parent/child relationship is fundamentally different than any other kind of relationship. And the reason why can be summed up in one word - blood. That’s a bond that just can’t be matched or duplicated.

What I know about the last time I was an “us” is that when “us” became “me” again - I had no idea who in the hell I was. Making one isolated compromise doesn’t seem like much. Then you compromise on something else, and you do it again, and again and again ... after a while, you’re not you - you’re us and you have no idea where “me” went or even who the hell that person is any more. I’m sure in some instances or to some people, that is good. Just not to me.
 YamIhere
Msg: 60
view profile
History
What is the most important part of a relationship to you?
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:21:20 AM
Love is love is love.

Not true. At least, not in my opinion. For instance, let’s say I lost my mind and remarried and she had her own children. I’d never feel the same about them as I do my son. My dad has raised four of us, and only two are his biological children. My dad, as great a man as he is, loves my brother and oldest sister, but I have always been able to tell a difference in how he has treated my youngest sister and I as opposed to the other two. It’s nothing bad or wrong - I think it’s somewhat natural.

So, yes, IMO, blood is important. It may not be so important to everyone, but it is to me.

edit: FG ... but how does one become an “us?” Compromise is one of the major factors. It is inherint that when you compromise, you make changes - giving up a little part of yourself. Did I ever compromise my core values? No. But I did compromise what I was able to experience in life.. Was it worth it? Believe it or not, yes, but for only one good reason - the compromises led to producing my son. But that would be worth being put through hell on earth. As my experience has shown me that compromise and becoming an “us” produced only one benefit - albeit a substantial one - I no longer view it as something that is positive. Just my opinion.
 YamIhere
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:59:19 AM
... and so is the life I choose, FG. Like I said, I don’t expect much of anyone to agree with me, but becoming an “us” is not at all attractive to me. It doesn’t mean I’m right, by any means. Maybe it’s the narcissism talking, but I love me and have no incentive to change anything about me.
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/6/2005 9:17:23 AM
compatibility and humor.

and a nice behind
 YamIhere
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2005 9:28:13 AM

I'm not trying to change you, I could care less. I'm merely addressing the comments you've made, questions you've asked, and the topic in general.

I know .... I didn't think it was anything personal. Just trying to explain my original statement a little better.

It's not as if this is the first time we've disagreed. We disagree on everything.

Ain't that the truth
 YamIhere
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:20:34 AM
Well said, Deborah. June Cleaver wrapped in Jennifer Garner’s body wouldn’t be enough incentive for me. But the good thing is, I realize that, am cognizant of it and am happy with my life as is and where it will go.

We all find happiness in our own way.
 Missy
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:02 PM
I'm going to have to go with friendship and communication....without that you don't have much of anything do you? If the relationship lasts forever and a day as one always hopes it will (hopeless romantic that I am), once the sex is gone (yes, I know this isn't always the case but it does happen) all you have left is communication and friendship. Growing a relationship out of friendship is best IMHO. As a wise man told me recently, you can become lovers with a friend, but, its pretty difficult to become friends with a lover.
~Missy~
 uneekguy
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/22/2006 12:27:15 PM
Definitely....compromise
 sammysalt1
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:04:17 PM
The fact it all comes toghter, and last.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:20:44 PM
You worded that wonderfuly.
 Bandito
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:45:18 AM
All you people are so deep

I was just thinking that it be nice to be able to share the same pizza without having to go half this and half that all the time
 SouthernCherry
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:12:48 AM
Trust....Love....Honest!
 lilsweetman2005
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2006 6:58:20 PM
I would say umm !TRUST! you have to give it to recive it
 Bandito
Msg: 126
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:54:27 PM
Okay...I will bite...going to get deep here

I would have to say ....space...enough space to still be "you" without feeling guilty for not being "we"
 Mani
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:50:21 AM
A relationship should make me a better person. It should complete me. The sum of the couple must be greater than the sum of each seperate individuals. That's what counts for me.
 john52758
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2007 4:05:06 PM
Trust, trust, trust, honesty, communication, and trust.
 Ilovehorses
Msg: 142
Posted: 10/19/2007 9:27:39 PM
compatablity and feeling at ease.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >