Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lucilou
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Lying about agesPage 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Yardape,
You making me cry, I am old and 55 yrs old, you think I lie about my age? I could still do jitter Bug, tango and west coast swing lol. My picture was taken feb 2006 , the rest taken with in a year. Its not the age its how one looks and feels and the way one carry themselves.
 Rosemary_BB
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:40:49 PM
My 2 cents for what its worth, is I agree with your statement
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 153
Lying about ages
Posted: 12/31/2006 3:02:08 PM
If you look five or ten years younger than your chronological age (as I do when my weight's o.k.), well, looks and physiological age/good health ought to count for something, so it's only reasonable to trim a couple of years off your "Profile" age, when you want to be considered by the younger set as worthy of receiving your emails.

Of course, lying's a big no no, so whenever I trim a couple of years (never more) off my Profile on a site to 'assist' the search features, I mention it either in my Profile remarks (as I've done for POF), or make sure I come clean by the second message, so no one's out even a postage stamp by such a tiny fib.

Similarly, if someone's so burnt out by earlier excesses (or a former smoker) and have a physiological age that's ten or more years older than their chronological age, they really ought to add two or more years to their Profile age, in all fairness, imo. Either way, photos usually tell the tale well enough to viewers, when's there's a useful photo posted. If someone declines to show their driver's license or passport, that's a really big clue they're not who or the age, they say they are.

(ooh, I just learned you can edit your posts up to 15 minutes after posting -- that's good to know)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 158
Lying about ages
Posted: 3/6/2007 7:58:45 AM
ive thought about lying about my age on my profile.
a lot of men my age have a cut off of 50 on their profile.
but then its the whole lying thing...you lie about one thing...what else are you lying about?
i have a hard enough time remembering whats true...i can't possibly keep up with lies i might decide to toss out there.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 161
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/15/2007 12:50:29 PM
I met a lady on here once that said she was 60 and I knew it was a lie . I did a white page search and found her age to be 70. Next thing I know she changes her profile to 57 . Who do these people think they are kidding lmao. I do not mind dating older women anyway so its no big deal . Especially nowadays where age is easily found out online just by knowing last name and town you should be forthcoming . People will like you or not like you but to lie about age is unnecessary.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/24/2007 4:00:13 AM

Why lie about your age? If someone doesn't like you because of it, simply move on.

Women are notorious for lying about their age. That said, I've met or dated many women in the age range of 49 to 55, and you get all kinds. Some looked in their mid to late 60s... others late 30s, some 40s.
I have found that people age differently .
 browneyesboo
Msg: 169
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/24/2007 7:19:34 AM
men are actually notorious for lying about their age (and height) on dating sites. someone back in post #124 or something like that hit on the point exactly. They don't want to be excluded in the age range for the younger women.
as I said previously...Ive often thought I should lie about my age as well...because I get caught in the cut off age of most of my contemporaries.
maybe men and women lie about their age for the same reason? they don't want to be excluded.
I don't know...but I do know lying about age isn't just about women.
P.S. my roommate is still in denial about his age. he told me he was 47 when we met...and I was concerned because I thought he was older than me. 6 years later he's only 48 on his profile.
he'll be 59 next month.
 Wreckless1
Msg: 178
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/25/2007 12:30:11 AM
Not into lying, as you will only begin a tangled web to weave. Be yourself always..... Unless you are a Star! (we know about them too) So Myth... You about 24 or 25?
 Wreckless1
Msg: 181
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/28/2007 3:28:35 PM
Never do and never will.......... onlys causes doubt about other things and people.
 techgirl27
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/28/2007 9:04:04 PM
I dont lie about my age, but a couple of times I changed it for 10 minutes just so I could email someone. Then I switched it back to what it should be.
 abrknwng
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 4/28/2007 9:36:38 PM
I was seeing a guy that put his profile back on here and this time he lied about his age when he did. Not only did he lie about his age, he lied about where he lived...said he was 46 when he was 51, said he was in Festus instead of Bonne Terre, his excuse was...he was hoping to avoid contact from some ladies that were his age and older, that had contacted him.....I guess they didn't look good enough for him. Who knows....but if they lie about that they will lie about other things as well. Just like saying he put his profile back on just for fun....wasn't looking and didn't have time or the finances to date. Found out not to long after that he had met someone and was seeing them. Plus during the time he kept telling me I was the last he had met and spent time, it came out that he had been meeting others from MO. and one from Tennessee. Anyway didn't mean to get off topic. In my experience lie once...even if it is just about age....they will lie about other things....
 Mark_at_57
Msg: 186
Lying about ages
Posted: 7/10/2007 9:21:02 PM
I don't lie about my age, I lie about my species...
 tessya
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 7/10/2007 9:31:07 PM
great answer...bravo....its no ones business how old u are... its rude to ask a woman her age..thats what my moms said............also there shoe size... or weight.......how much u payed for something....your checking account number.....where u live...ect.....its a personal question.... so its noones beeswax..lol
 Miss W
Msg: 189
Lying about ages
Posted: 7/11/2007 9:36:31 AM
I refuse to lie about my age and have never been afraid of divulging it. It beats the alternative. If no one can handle it, then oh well...their loss. I love the outspokeness that one can get away with and am looking forward to slapping people with my cane and getting away with eccentricity.

I've had good role models with my mother and sisters who have always been proud. We have always been young for our ages and unafraid (despite the regular annoyances associated with aging) of the numbers. We were also blessed by my grandmother's genes. I'll take the figure, and energy level that I had in my 20's, but nothing else.
 Playfulgal
Msg: 190
Lying about ages
Posted: 7/11/2007 9:52:25 AM
Saying only women lie about their age is kinda silly. I don't lie about my age. I just don't see the point in it. I like my age. Besides people don't believe I'm that old anyway. hehe

But I have seen (and experienced) many guys that lie about their age. Younger ones say they are older, older say they are younger. Either way they end up looking like fools when I find out.

And then there's that line when they are caught "But age is just a number. It shouldn't really matter if we like each other." Not realizing the reason I turn cold was the lie they told.
 4dutyandhumanity
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/20/2008 5:21:38 AM

Age is important but I am not sure how I am suppose to act in my late thirties.

In all cases - act how *you* want to act. Enjoy the interests that you want to enjoy.

If rap is your thing, go with it. But if you're starting to find Sinatra more appealing, go there. Don't look outward to find out how you should act at any age - that's just stunting your growth again.

37 is just a kid, btw.
 c_deacon
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:12:46 AM
No need to yell.......

It goes both ways, and I can not tell you how many women that I have met have pictures up that are 10 to 15 years old, show them before they gained all that weight, and decided that it was time not to exercise anymore.

The age really does not bother me as much as the exactness of looks, condition, and ability to maintain my interest both physically and mentally. This condition is not mandated by the age, but much more by the life style and genetics of the person.

Just my opinion......
 stevelfun
Msg: 199
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:50:25 AM
People lie about a number of things for the reasons that they do.

How many of us have met someone that said their weight was 'average' only to come away thinking that their definition of 'average' and ours are very different???

People post old pictures, lie about age, interests and activities, etc...

Perhaps it is to make them more appealing to others. Perhaps it is to make them feel more like who they would like to be.

People just don't always tell the truth whether it is to others or with themselves.
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/20/2008 5:40:47 PM
I remember meeting a guy one time who told me he was 39. The second I met him I knew he had to be at least 45, so when we sat down for coffee, I asked his age and he squirmed but admitted to 45, and said he lied because, "women hear 40 and toss you aside but 39 sounds better to them."

I met another guy with some friends and he said he was 33. He looked at least 10 years older than that. This was 3 years ago and now his profile says he is 43. I have a feeling he's closer to 50.
 giggleparts
Msg: 205
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:50:05 PM
Lying about your age is retarded. What the hell does it even matter, anyway? Sure, nobody wants to be old... or be perceived as 'old'... But, why? Being older used to be seen as a sign of wisdom... of worth... things have changed for the worse.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >