Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hells_fire_angelgirl
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Lying about agesPage 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I am for one always honest about my age and proud too soon be 40 and still get carded as I go out with friends .I am oftened complimented on how I am keeping up gracefully and that I mostly get asked out by younger men . Even tho I do enjoy an older man if he doesnt act like he has one foot in the grave. But I do get a kick that when I go out with gfs my own age I usually the one whom is carded going thru the door and they all look at me and say WTF.
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 209
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/21/2008 9:18:18 AM
People lie about there age cause they are insecure about it. I've done it...my friend still does it...says he's like 31 or 33 when he's 43. He looks a lot younger, so do I, but I ain't afraid of it anymore. I'm finding women like you as a person...and if you communicate well, make them feel important, and treat them as an equal. And you know what? I the last month I've have met some potential mates. Anywhere for 29 to 19 years old. A close friend of mine said your going to marry some 18 year old and have 10 kids with her with your personality. It doesn't really matter what age you are, or what you have for material things in the end, it matters who you are. And generally, those that lie about age, old pictures, or anything else on these dating sites are insecure about themselves.
 anyoneoutthier
Msg: 213
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/21/2008 3:55:24 PM
Lying is lying and its a big red flag if you can lie about your age so easy just what else can you lie about. what kind of a realtionship do you expect to find with lying, so lie and you derseve what you get.
 sin2gether2
Msg: 229
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/24/2008 6:55:05 PM
I'll tell you why. Because most men are looking for younger women. Some women who look very young look ridiculous next to a man a few years older. I worked with this man who was maybe 5 years older than me. When we went out to dinner he looked like my dad. My friend's brother saw us together and said it was laughable. I was not attracted to him. I only date younger men.
So why don't men start looking for women their own age. And appreciate older women. And not place a value on age. Age will become unimportant. And people will stop lying about it.
 dannyr0697
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:06:03 AM
If a person asks "How old do you think I am" I will respond to his or her question truthfully. Why should I not do so? Lying to them would be deceitful, would it not? By the way, judging from her photos which may or may not be recent, one of the female posters to this forum looks far younger than her stated years but since she has not asked how old she looks she shall remain anonymous.

Down south, we don't think it's a kindly thing to do to be brutally honest with someone in regards to guessing their age. A persons feelings are far more important than your need to tell the truth George Washington.
If your wife or sig. other asked you: "Do these pants make my butt look big?" Would you say "Yeah baby, big as a house."OR Would say,"No baby, they look fine on you." Then go on and do what you were getting ready to do. Assuming, of course, that there weren't any pants in the house that made her butt look better/smaller.
Back to the age thing, I remember telling my Grandma how young she was looking today, almost like a spring chicken. Was it wrong to say that and get the smile from her that my statement illicited. (Be mindful of your teeth when you answer that.)
Lying on the internet is different. One tiny white lie can be purcieved as a questionable personality.
So, in closing, Be nice , say something as unhurtful as possible and IF possible, totally skirt the issue. If cornered, lead off your answer with"well you asked".

L8TR

Oh yeah, I think I know who the anonamous one is. If you don't believe her, that's your problem. Remember the teeth thing.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 235
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:12:37 AM
DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE.

I had a date last week with a man who lists his age as "50," but his profile picture makes him look much older.

That's because he is much older.

He said his wife died when he was 41 and he has spent the last 18 years without finding a new love. That makes him at least 59, but damn, in person, he looks older than his pic--at least early 60s.

The day after the date, I sent him an email saying that his age discrepancy bothered me; I haven't heard an explanation.

The truth will always come out--and silence often speaks louder than words.
 dannyr0697
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:54:19 AM
dannyr--- lying is lying. Being discreet is something else, but if your wife or significant other asks your opinion for example, on how they look (in an outfit or hair-do, etc.) and you think it doesn't flatter them, then keep in mind-- if you see it, everybody else will see it too. I'm sure the lady doesn't want to embarrass herself in public so she is counting on you to help her avoid that.
By being deceitful you are not helping her.

Dude, have you never been married? You go right ahead and say it,
But, check this out; she already knows the answer to the question. If her pants really made her look bad, she wouldn't be wearing them. The question may not even be about her pants anyway. She could be looking for possitive reinforcement about her looks because of the particular time of the month it is , in which case you just failed horribly. If you went back and reread my post, I believe I qualified my statement by saying " unless there was a pair of pants that made her look better.
Get a grip dude. I NEVER said lying was the thing to do.

L8TR

Question for you "Fox Fire". If your little old Granny asked you how she looked today, would you say"Granny you look like a raisan thats been left out too long" (assuming this statement is true) or would you look at her with your heart and say "Granny you look great, I'd be proud to show up anywhere with you on my arm."
 Avalon Dreamer
Msg: 241
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 10:37:45 AM
Why would I lie ....???
 Guy4theForums
Msg: 242
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 12:12:45 PM

MSG#1~OP~yardape_99(d708767) wrote:What is with some of the girls on this site? I can look at some of the profiles on here and tell that some of you are blatantly lying about your ages. You typically can tell within a couple of years how old someone looks (at least I can)......so either some of you are telling horrible lies about your ages....or you have had a hard hard life lolWhy lie about your age? If someone doesn't like you because of it, simply move on.
Yes doesn't it suk to get old? Even if you don't look or feel old for your age people still have that age number in they're head. I haven't taken a look at many of the "Male" genders profiles but alot of the females I've talked to has told me they have met up with guys that looked 10 years older than they're pictures. I have checked alot of the females profiles out and not alot but a small percentage of them, it's all to obvious they're shaving sometimes what appears to be 15 years off their ages. Age is something everyone is going to have to experience. So you younguns need to have some respect for us senior citizens
 SavannahSaucy
Msg: 243
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/25/2008 12:49:14 PM
Hmmm ...

I am not out to hurt anyone's feelings or play panjandrum. Nor will I pander for favors. If a person asks "How old do you think I am" I will respond to his or her question truthfully.

Most of the people I socialize and work with are the approximate age of the poster referred to in #1 above. They all look their age. Doesn't the concept of "looking your age" refer to presenting an appearance in sync with the average person in the same age bracket? With that in mind, the young lady who you couldn't resist insulting, also looks her age. Perhaps your presentation that she appears to be in her early 60's is a reflection of your own inability to accurately make a guess. Or your mean-spiritedness. Either one works.

By the way, judging from her photos which may or may not be recent, one of the female posters to this forum looks far younger than her stated years but since she has not asked how old she looks she shall remain anonymous.

How kind of you to respect her anonymity! With the above observation in mind about your lack of expertise at guessing ages, WHY would anyone care about your impression of the age of another poster ... one who didn't even ask for your (or anyone else's) opinion???!???!
 dannyr0697
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 5/26/2008 6:02:47 AM
Can't answer the question, huh? Doesn't fit into your view of things, huh? There is no black and white answer to this topic. Only shades of grey. The botton line is; do you spare someones feelings, in this harmless, no skin off your teeth method. Or, do you callously hold to your strict code of "morals" and disregard decentsy and shread this persons self respect to say that you ALWAYS tell the truth. No chivalry or genteelness here I see.

L8TR
 grapevine
Msg: 253
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:28:26 PM
I wish I was lying...sigh.
 english lass
Msg: 257
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:57:12 PM
you're right

i'm really 22

Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:28:39 PM
I can't tell you about anyone else, but I'M 47 AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!

If you've got it, flaunt it...

~~Beth~~
 chickalina
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/18/2008 4:30:36 PM
I totally agree not to lie but it works both ways. Men do just as much as women do. I do have to disagree though that you would be able to guess everyone's age by their picture. I am 60 but could pass for 75 and my girlfriend who is also 60 could pass for 40. Do you ask them right out how old they are - maybe you should so you won't be disappointed. I ould have no problem telling some guy that was 60 and his picture looked like hewas 25 - then I would be suspicious. It seems to me that you are very superficial and only want "pretty" girls. Good luck at the ole simming hole
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 279
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:21:22 AM
Once gravity takes it's toll, you have to start telling the truth.

I wish they'd be honest long before gravity takes over. I don't get it at all. And I agree, if they lie about something so fundamental, what else is being lied about?

~OT~ Some years ago, when I was interested in dating, someone decided he'd fly to my state, meet, we had some fun things planned, etc., and for some unknown reason, I just had a feeling something wasn't quite right. I got my answer, promptly told him to NOT BOTHER and for me, that was that. He was an age liar. When confronted with the reality, his answer was: I was going to tell you when I got off the plane. WTF? Like I wouldn't have noticed? So all of this, "I look and act younger than my age" is fine and dandy, and partly true. Little boys in men's bodies, that certainly is acting younger than one's age, in my mind. (And yes, in reverse per gender.) He still pops in from time to time with explanations, however ~ I don't entertain such silliness. Once I do the math, the timeline, the appropriate ponderings, if I feel there are omissions, errors or out and out lies, I do my research and if I know (for a fact) I've been lied to ~~ it's over. Right now. I don't have the time to waste on such ridiculousness ~ we're all getting older. Get over it.
 Angelnurse10
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:06:40 PM
I just turned 48 in July and I like the way I look. I look better now then I did 8 years ago, cause I am in better shape and eat healthier and it shows. I don't have a problem with 50 coming down the road either.
I think you can tell maybe within 2-5 years on people, so I am not sure what the use in lying is. I have young guys hit on me all the time, so I figure why lie.
But then, there are some people that do tell the truth about their age and really have had a hard life. Men do it too I hear.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:33:24 PM

I just turned 48 in July and I like the way I look. I look better now then I did 8 years ago, cause I am in better shape and eat healthier and it shows. I don't have a problem with 50 coming down the road either.
I think you can tell maybe within 2-5 years on people, so I am not sure what the use in lying is. I have young guys hit on me all the time, so I figure why lie.
But then, there are some people that do tell the truth about their age and really have had a hard life. Men do it too I hear.

Interesting how you're displaying your disapproval on lying, yet you seem to be doing it yourself. The person in the last pic cannot possibly be you as the body shape is so different! So what gives? And why no close-ups?

It does seem that a lot of people lie about one thing or another, but I have to wonder if some of it is unintentional. For instance, it seems a lot of guys choose "Athletic" as their body type, yet judging by their pictures, I have bigger pipes than most, LOL. Could it be that they truly think they look athletic? Yup, I believe most of them do, it's just that their perception is a little distorted. ;-)

I had a tough time choosing body type as "athletic," "average," and "a few extra pounds" all apply. If I could have, I would have selected them all, so I just settled for "average."
 junipermoon
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:11:22 PM
while i wouldn't lie about my age, i'm about 48 in chinese gymnastics years.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 293
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:40:53 PM

Why get all in a snit about someone supposedly 'lying' about their internet profile? Most profiles have some element of lying.

I get in a snit about it because I don't wish to date someone xxx years older than myself. It's personal preference, I have valid reasons for feeling as I do, it's MY choice and it ceases being MY choice when someone out and out lies to trick me into thinking they are something they are not. Yes, women and men lie about multitudes of things and the net provides a veil of anonymity in which to do so. For the people who feel they need to lie in order to be successful in this venue, it's really pretty simple: don't bother with this particular venue. I finally resorted to age restrictions on my profile ~ I figure 48 is probably 50-52 in a good deal of instances (which gripes my azz to no end, but it's the sad reality I'm afraid.) There is no greater embarrassment than being face to face and me saying, "I'm sorry, how old are you again???" and getting the deer-in-the-headlights-look staring back at me.
 Angelnurse10
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:23:13 PM
`Ottawa you don't know what your talking about. All the pics are of me just a couple of months ago, and my body shape looks different I guess compared to shorts and a shirt then wearing a short fitted dress. Don't be hatin.
So your saying I am lying about my pics or my age? Sorry to dissapoint you but they are all me, and I am 48. Why no close-ups? Just don't have any. Believe me, the men I have dated from POF have never complained. And if I put athletic, it is because I don't see me as slim or average.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:53:59 PM

Ottawa you don't know what your talking about. All the pics are of me just a couple of months ago, and my body shape looks different I guess compared to shorts and a shirt then wearing a short fitted dress. Don't be hatin.
So your saying I am lying about my pics or my age? Sorry to dissapoint you but they are all me, and I am 48. Why no close-ups? Just don't have any. Believe me, the men I have dated from POF have never complained. And if I put athletic, it is because I don't see me as slim or average.

I'm not hatin', I'm merely making a personal observation. I have no opinions on your age as it's difficult to tell. In fact, I have no idea of what you look like, as the only close enough photo is of your legs (which are fantastic, BTW). The last pic looks certainly different, IMO, and it's not just the body and bust. The blur of a face looks much more narrow to me. Anyway, it would raise red flags to me, but I'm sure that not too many guys get past the leg shot anyway. ;-)
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:55:17 PM

Actually, v.g.e., your profile and history reveal that you get into a snit about a lot of things. And you're also not entirely truthful about your body type. You list yourself as 'thin'. If I did a profile sort/search for 'thin' ladies (and many fellows do indeed like thin ladies) I'd be disappointed in what you look like, or appear to look like from your pics. (Not saying you look bad, but thin you ain't.) Tell us, what's your real bodyweight? Remember, you're an advocate for truthfulness in all things internet! Let us decide if you're really thin at your body weight and height.

Lordy, if you don't think she's thin, you must date rakes.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >