Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 english lass
Msg: 257
Lying about agesPage 9 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
you're right

i'm really 22

Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:28:39 PM
I can't tell you about anyone else, but I'M 47 AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!

If you've got it, flaunt it...

~~Beth~~
 chickalina
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/18/2008 4:30:36 PM
I totally agree not to lie but it works both ways. Men do just as much as women do. I do have to disagree though that you would be able to guess everyone's age by their picture. I am 60 but could pass for 75 and my girlfriend who is also 60 could pass for 40. Do you ask them right out how old they are - maybe you should so you won't be disappointed. I ould have no problem telling some guy that was 60 and his picture looked like hewas 25 - then I would be suspicious. It seems to me that you are very superficial and only want "pretty" girls. Good luck at the ole simming hole
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 279
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:21:22 AM
Once gravity takes it's toll, you have to start telling the truth.

I wish they'd be honest long before gravity takes over. I don't get it at all. And I agree, if they lie about something so fundamental, what else is being lied about?

~OT~ Some years ago, when I was interested in dating, someone decided he'd fly to my state, meet, we had some fun things planned, etc., and for some unknown reason, I just had a feeling something wasn't quite right. I got my answer, promptly told him to NOT BOTHER and for me, that was that. He was an age liar. When confronted with the reality, his answer was: I was going to tell you when I got off the plane. WTF? Like I wouldn't have noticed? So all of this, "I look and act younger than my age" is fine and dandy, and partly true. Little boys in men's bodies, that certainly is acting younger than one's age, in my mind. (And yes, in reverse per gender.) He still pops in from time to time with explanations, however ~ I don't entertain such silliness. Once I do the math, the timeline, the appropriate ponderings, if I feel there are omissions, errors or out and out lies, I do my research and if I know (for a fact) I've been lied to ~~ it's over. Right now. I don't have the time to waste on such ridiculousness ~ we're all getting older. Get over it.
 Angelnurse10
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:06:40 PM
I just turned 48 in July and I like the way I look. I look better now then I did 8 years ago, cause I am in better shape and eat healthier and it shows. I don't have a problem with 50 coming down the road either.
I think you can tell maybe within 2-5 years on people, so I am not sure what the use in lying is. I have young guys hit on me all the time, so I figure why lie.
But then, there are some people that do tell the truth about their age and really have had a hard life. Men do it too I hear.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:33:24 PM

I just turned 48 in July and I like the way I look. I look better now then I did 8 years ago, cause I am in better shape and eat healthier and it shows. I don't have a problem with 50 coming down the road either.
I think you can tell maybe within 2-5 years on people, so I am not sure what the use in lying is. I have young guys hit on me all the time, so I figure why lie.
But then, there are some people that do tell the truth about their age and really have had a hard life. Men do it too I hear.

Interesting how you're displaying your disapproval on lying, yet you seem to be doing it yourself. The person in the last pic cannot possibly be you as the body shape is so different! So what gives? And why no close-ups?

It does seem that a lot of people lie about one thing or another, but I have to wonder if some of it is unintentional. For instance, it seems a lot of guys choose "Athletic" as their body type, yet judging by their pictures, I have bigger pipes than most, LOL. Could it be that they truly think they look athletic? Yup, I believe most of them do, it's just that their perception is a little distorted. ;-)

I had a tough time choosing body type as "athletic," "average," and "a few extra pounds" all apply. If I could have, I would have selected them all, so I just settled for "average."
 junipermoon
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:11:22 PM
while i wouldn't lie about my age, i'm about 48 in chinese gymnastics years.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 293
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:40:53 PM

Why get all in a snit about someone supposedly 'lying' about their internet profile? Most profiles have some element of lying.

I get in a snit about it because I don't wish to date someone xxx years older than myself. It's personal preference, I have valid reasons for feeling as I do, it's MY choice and it ceases being MY choice when someone out and out lies to trick me into thinking they are something they are not. Yes, women and men lie about multitudes of things and the net provides a veil of anonymity in which to do so. For the people who feel they need to lie in order to be successful in this venue, it's really pretty simple: don't bother with this particular venue. I finally resorted to age restrictions on my profile ~ I figure 48 is probably 50-52 in a good deal of instances (which gripes my azz to no end, but it's the sad reality I'm afraid.) There is no greater embarrassment than being face to face and me saying, "I'm sorry, how old are you again???" and getting the deer-in-the-headlights-look staring back at me.
 Angelnurse10
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:23:13 PM
`Ottawa you don't know what your talking about. All the pics are of me just a couple of months ago, and my body shape looks different I guess compared to shorts and a shirt then wearing a short fitted dress. Don't be hatin.
So your saying I am lying about my pics or my age? Sorry to dissapoint you but they are all me, and I am 48. Why no close-ups? Just don't have any. Believe me, the men I have dated from POF have never complained. And if I put athletic, it is because I don't see me as slim or average.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:53:59 PM

Ottawa you don't know what your talking about. All the pics are of me just a couple of months ago, and my body shape looks different I guess compared to shorts and a shirt then wearing a short fitted dress. Don't be hatin.
So your saying I am lying about my pics or my age? Sorry to dissapoint you but they are all me, and I am 48. Why no close-ups? Just don't have any. Believe me, the men I have dated from POF have never complained. And if I put athletic, it is because I don't see me as slim or average.

I'm not hatin', I'm merely making a personal observation. I have no opinions on your age as it's difficult to tell. In fact, I have no idea of what you look like, as the only close enough photo is of your legs (which are fantastic, BTW). The last pic looks certainly different, IMO, and it's not just the body and bust. The blur of a face looks much more narrow to me. Anyway, it would raise red flags to me, but I'm sure that not too many guys get past the leg shot anyway. ;-)
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:55:17 PM

Actually, v.g.e., your profile and history reveal that you get into a snit about a lot of things. And you're also not entirely truthful about your body type. You list yourself as 'thin'. If I did a profile sort/search for 'thin' ladies (and many fellows do indeed like thin ladies) I'd be disappointed in what you look like, or appear to look like from your pics. (Not saying you look bad, but thin you ain't.) Tell us, what's your real bodyweight? Remember, you're an advocate for truthfulness in all things internet! Let us decide if you're really thin at your body weight and height.

Lordy, if you don't think she's thin, you must date rakes.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 301
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:32:15 PM
And you're also not entirely truthful about your body type. You list yourself as 'thin'. If I did a profile sort/search for 'thin' ladies (and many fellows do indeed like thin ladies) I'd be disappointed in what you look like, or appear to look like from your pics. (Not saying you look bad, but thin you ain't.) Tell us, what's your real bodyweight?

LMFAO ~ well, what would you suggest I use as a body-type? I'm 5'1" and 100 pounds on a heavy day. My real body type is thin and curvacious, but there isn't an option for that. It's actually rather amusing to get such retorts from a person unwilling to post a picture at all, but hey ~ to each their own.

Remember, you're an advocate for truthfulness in all things internet! Let us decide if you're really thin at your body weight and height.

Oh, and just so you know, my BMI is about 15% at the moment. That should clear up any questions you might have as to what the truth really is. (I assume you do know what BMI is???? If not, google it.) As for my posting history ~ I have no clue what you are reading, there isn't much to the past 25 posts, pretty benign by most accounts. But you are more than welcome to view them as you wish.

Ottawa Chicklet: Thanks for the defense, much appreciated.

Desert Dan: Thank you!

~OT~ As my profile clearly states, age liars aren't welcome in my world. Period. Like it, don't ~ makes absolutely no difference to me. I don't put anything in my profile that can't be questioned, answered and verified. I'll never understand those who don't get it. But, to each their own ~ I only live my life. Thankfully (more often than not.)
 professora
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:57:45 PM
I agree with you.

It depends what a person is looking for. If someone wants a long term ,committed relationship, lying is a problem. If the relationship is for here and now, maybe it does not matter.

One of my friends, in my age group, is a fabulous nurse and mom but she lies regularly about her age. When I asked her why she said "to attract younger men". she is not interested in long term relationships. The problem with her lie is that she meets men who are interested in committed relationships and not just a roll in the hay. Of course, they are disappointed. Age cannot be hidden....maybe by a few years but not much more.

From my personal experience, someone who lies about age , lies about other information too.
 professora
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/24/2008 10:07:01 PM
"On another (paying) dating website I discovered that out of a few women I already knew and several I met in person 7 out of 8 lied about their ages by from 3 to 8 years in their profiles. The ones I met were all fat to obese. Guys, never judge a woman by her head shot. Many women have faces from which one might believe they are or normal or even less than normal weight yet they are obese. "

great post!

My experience in the 2 years or so that I have been on line, is that only a few men lie about their age. However, those that lie about their age, also lie about other things. Integrity is lost .
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 305
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:13:22 AM
I have to laugh at men who continue to insist that all women/most women lie about their ages, when in fact nearly TWICE as many men do as women do. Men also lie about their height. Women DO lie more about their weight.

About 52.6 percent of the men in the study lied about their height, as did 39 percent of the women. Slightly more women lied about their weight (64.1 percent) than did men (60.5 percent). When it came to age, 24.3 percent of the men were untruthful, compared with 13.1 percent of the women.

http://www.wftv.com/technology/10948015/detail.html
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 307
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:42:45 AM
Mr. Sturgeon, lol!

*I* think that most/all peeps have no grip on what a weight or age looks like. . . . Either on ourselves or on others.

About ten years ago I answered an ad from a guy who was clearly looking for a somewhat hefty chick. He asked what I weighed: 170 at 5'6" ~~ he was satisfied *until* he met me: I was way thinner than what he wanted. . . . My guess? The last chick he was with *told* him she weighed 170, and he believed her, but she actually weighed 250. . . .

What can I say: my main pic taken with Howard Dean last weekend, I'm 5'6", weigh 178, and am less then a month away from being 68 years old. Should I hang myself, or not?

verygreeneyez
Msg: 310
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/25/2008 12:10:30 PM

I would be more than happy to verify that VGE ...

Thanks, E. And he knows this to be factual about me because he didn't lie about his age in his POF profile. It's always nice to run across those who are happy with who they, where they've been and where they are going. Age is what it is ~ part of who we are.
 Angelnurse10
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:34:24 PM
good grief, if you think greeneyez is not thin, then I must be fat.
I also don't see a big deal if a man tells me a lie if the age is only 2-3 years different from what his real age is.
 superbadzzz
Msg: 315
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:06:12 PM
imagine that, women lying about their age. armageddon must be near.
 misszmsz
Msg: 319
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/27/2008 3:51:26 PM
I still get carded, especially at night. Young guys hit on me all the time, I take it as a compliment. One guy who contacted me said the website had put his age down wrong and that he was 50 instead of 40. So things proceeded and we met and when I saw him he looked like he was over 60. I think they do it so they will be included in age searches.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 321
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/27/2008 5:51:44 PM
You've put out a dozen or so posts every single for the last several days, weekend or during the week.

Really??? Must have been a slow couple of days here in forums. I'd better step it up.

~OT~ I suppose lying about ages works for some. John McCain lied (down) and Cindy McCain lied (up) ~ guess it worked for them. It probably works for many people ~ it just doesn't work for me. JMO
 arwen52
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/27/2008 6:55:10 PM
Wow! This thread has been going since 2005?

I don't know if the men I've met from POF lied about their age or not. I didn't card any of them. However, I was on a different (paid) site and know that almost half the men I met lied about their age, one of them by seven years. I am not interested in liars. I don't care what the excuses are. I get rejected for my age, too.

I had a phone conversation with one guy before I met him. He was pleasant. During our second phone conversation he complained that all the women he met had posted photos that made them appear younger and thinner than they were in real life and he supposed they were outdated photos. I told him I kept meeting guys who were lying about their age. After we got off the phone he called me back and said he'd gone back and checked his profile and it said he was 2 years younger than he actually was. He claimed that it must have been because his profile was old. I knew then he was lying to me because the site asked for your birth date, not your age, when you set up a profile and the age changed automatically on your birthday. He also apparently forgot he'd told me he'd only been on the site for six months, which meant his profile could not be two years old. When I met him in person, I was convinced he was even older than he was admitting to. I didn't find him very interesting anyway, but it certainly was hypocritical of him to complain about women misrepresenting themselves when he was doing the same thing.

I've tried to be honest in my profiles and I'm only interested in guys who have enough integrity that they will represent themselves honestly. I've also stopped discriminating on the basis of age. I am interested in people who are lively, interesting, and fun to be with and I no longer care when they were born. I may take it into consideration as one factor among many, but I no longer discriminate on the basis of age.
 The All Amazing Geek Girl
Msg: 325
Lying about ages
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:13:20 PM
I've seen a guy lie about his age.

I think he did it because he wanted to meet older women and thought that if he was older he would get contacted by older women.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >