Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WanderingRain
Msg: 198
view profile
History
How should a very fit 40 year old dress?Page 12 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Those who don't place their level of happiness on the approval of others are freer in their choice of clothing.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 200
How should a very fit 40 year old dress?
Posted: 11/18/2008 10:18:32 AM

Those who don't place their level of happiness on the approval of others are freer in their choice of clothing.

I'd like to amend that:
"Those who don't place their level of happiness on the approval of others are freer in their choice of everything."

Better.
 five star
Msg: 201
Posted: 11/18/2008 11:41:29 PM
I couldnt agree more... s m 43 vancouverite
 DIXIEREBAL
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 5:41:07 PM
well dang i never knew we had to dress a certain way im 42 and use to weigh 380 pds and i love being able to wear my teenagers clothes......
is there a store for 40 and up?????
 pet_tech
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2008 8:19:35 AM
A person can dress how they want, but they should not be surprised or offended by the kind of attention they obtain from it.

As Dave Chappelle said:

"Lady.. you may not BE a hooker.. but you are definitely wearing a hooker's uniform"
 compleat_man
Msg: 206
Posted: 11/20/2008 8:39:59 AM
if you're showing a Caesarean scar, probably not a good idea..

(have seen this a # of times..) eww..
 duckling
Msg: 207
Posted: 11/20/2008 8:56:03 AM
As long as a woman feels confident and sexy, she'll be confident and sexy. Dress any way that makes you feel good about yourself.
 c_deacon
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:52:43 AM
Dress as you feel comfortable, but always understand that others see you and your attire will leave an image that can be either good or bad, and sometimes very hard to overcome.

I have no problem with women wearing clothes that are "in" right now, but I do have a problem with them trying to fit a size 12 into a size 6 outfit, that is meant to be worn by a size 4 or less.......

Low rise jeans are not meant for women that have large hips and excess body fat......just a given. Low cut shirts and blouses are not meant for those that need to have it down to their belly button to be "low cut"......

Just as men should not be wearing their jeans down to their a** crack with boxers that are sliding down because of their beer gut....... Why would a man who has little or no muscle tone wear a muscle shirt?

If you have it, enjoy it, but please understand that many of us are viewing what you think you have, and no matter what, short does not necessarily mean sexy, tight does not guarantee sensuality, and even with a very good self concept and high self esteem, "lycra", is NOT your friend.......

Just my opinion.......
 techgirl27
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 3:04:38 PM
Going back to early in the thread (page 2 or 3??) about brooches.

Actually they are VERY trendy these days,especially when worn in 3's. They are First Lady fashion!

They aren't just for your grandma anymore (just one more of those things you can say that Yep, grandma was right!). There are ones that are cool and fashionable designs, too. I say go for it. I put mine in the center.
 jadegreen
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 9:01:08 AM
Haven't given showing your belly much thought....but off the top of my head with this question I think more people exercise than 20 years ago and they know more about shaping up, so consequences are more people have younger looking bodies. Another thought that comes to mind is the more skin you show it will conjure up sexual thoughts from "some" ....perhaps it is thought by an older age you should have many skills other than just flaunting your body to attract a man....some of the woman that frown may be experiencing much grief from being hit on all the time and don't understand why anyone would want to encourage the men to get worse and show more skin so they will think about sex even more...if you like to wear short shirt for practical purposes then perhaps it would be good to state those reasons.....modesty and shyness about the body is misunderstood in society these days....afterall adam and eve did grab the nearest fig leaf once they realized they were naked...was this the first time humans were shy?
 c_deacon
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 1:32:51 PM
To many times the problem is that those that are more mature still think that they can wear what they might have when much younger, and alas, the mind might be willing, but if the body does not match, all you end up with is a 40+ year old bulging out of their 20 year old daughters clothes.......

I have seen many posters on this particular thread that would rival any 25 year old, and being 40 or above has not taken you out of the "hot" category for being in shape, looking good, and able to wear anything you care to.......

Now, if I could only get all of you to move into my neighborhood, I bet we could have some interesting times showing off to all the youngsters that think they are so hot when it is just age that they have on their side......

Can't wait for them to come and join us, and be much more mature, and see how "slim" the pickings are then.....so to speak......

Just my opinion.......
 c_deacon
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:30:42 PM
Now Tee.......Is that a girlfriend, or a friend with benefits.......lmao.....

I would agree though, that it is nice to have at least one person that is as you think you are, and works with you to be all the things you both just might want to be.....and that goes for dressing, working out, staying in shape, diet, food preparation, etc.

Shit.......I just stated what a perfect relationship would be........

Just my opinion.......
 i like cats
Msg: 247
Posted: 1/28/2009 3:26:26 PM
Appropriate for the occasion. I dress differently depending on if I am at work in the office, the OR, off for the day, on vacation or going to the beach or pool.

It all depends on the event.
 jadegreen
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 8:53:28 AM
The young adults and teenagers also gotta have their "unique identifiers" . It's just a part of being young and the ones of us that getting older need to have a fasion eye for the clothing items that the young people love...when they see someone older wearing it....there goes their uniqueness and hence a reaction "your trying to dress too young"....which can be interpretted as "hey that trendy item belongs to 25 and under only"......it's a hard subject to explain...lol....I tend to agree alot also with lot of posts here that have said that clothing choice depends ALOT...on the occassion and place etc, etc, etc....
 Vannili
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 12:58:17 PM
I don't check my birth certificate when I shop for my clothes, I dressed up funky,sexy, rugged, classic, chic , classy, and during summer I showed some skin. I don't care if other women look at me "up and down". The way I run my person is not anybody's business. Enuff said
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 254
Posted: 6/14/2009 10:25:26 PM

however you damn well please...

and wtf is "age appropriate" clothing...?...are there clothing stores specifically for 40 and over now...?...sheesh...

Thank you!! Never understood what "age appropriate" is supposed to be. If you can pull it off and look good in it go for it! I have never seen clothing as labeled "age 20-25" or "no older than 30". LMAO Don't listen to what others think is "age appropriate". I think clothing should fit the individual and that individual's personality. There are stores that I don't shop in because they specialize in a certain niche market, i.e. goth or some fringe market like that. That's not me at all! LOL Now if you watch that show "What Not to Wear", I've heard it said that no woman over 30 or so should no wear short skirts or whatever. But if you have the legs for it and feel comfortable wearing them go for it. To me, it has nothing to do with trying to reclaim youth. I show off my body and don't follow what other people say about what's age appropriate.
 c_deacon
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:47:54 AM
If fit, age really has much less to do with it.

I have seen many a younger woman wear what only a 100 pound or less slim thing should wear, and it looks awful on them, to tight, to many bulges not meant to be there, and way to low on their hips for the shape they have, or are in.

If you have a good body, feel free to express it, just know what you are expressing will speak volumes about who and what you are, and just what you might want as well....

Just my opinion......
 miska1
Msg: 259
Posted: 6/18/2009 4:23:45 PM
a gunny sack..................... only because I KNOW I will be jealous.

Hell fire woman, ya got it , flaunt it, there is a difference between dressing skimpy and dressing trashy, I am sure you know the difference. Don't wear clothes 2 sizes to small, wear what is comfortable, and allows you to show off your assets with taste.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:27:58 PM
Exactly the way she wants to.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 271
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:29:19 AM
I dress according to the occasion. If I'm in a club, I wear club clothes that accent the good stuff and hide the flaws. If I'm at work, I dress conservatively, as clients expect me to present a professional appearance. When going shopping, I wear casual clothes that flatter me and make me feel good.
I love to dress in different styles. I have a varied wardrobe, and I pick and choose considering my mood and what I plan to do that day.
My age has never bothered me...I have always dressed like I do. The only time I think some women should tone down the tramp factor, even the ones with good bodies, is when their faces don't match the body. I have seen some women with awesome figures wearing very revealing clothing that looked really great, until you got up close and saw the leather, overtanned skin, caked on makeup, and wrinkles that outshone the cosmetics.
I also think that women who overdo the lip plumping (and end up looking like goldfish), have way too much botox and resurfacing, and eye lifts that end up making their eyebrows end up in the middle of their forehead should have been a lot more careful about what they did to attain that youthful look( or so they think). I feel sorry for these women, because they really have no idea how freakish they look. When you couple that with tiny tops and super short mini's and stilletoes, it ends up looking desperate and sad.
Be realistic about what you look like, and dress accordingly in a way that makes you look and feel your best. It's not about how old you are, it's about how you look and carry yourself.
Beth
 EarthGirl6
Msg: 273
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:36:37 AM
Dress in whatever makes you feel classy and beautiful. Sometimes sexy, sometimes sporty...whatever. What does age have to do with it???

One of my favortie outfits is my tennis dress and tennis shoes...on the court, and sometimes off...

tennis anyone???!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 274
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:42:34 AM

Eh. I have a 28 year old friend who looks completely hideous in "young" fashions. I have a fifty year old friend who not only looks good in the "young " fashions, she looks better than many 25 year olds. Men always look her up and down, regardless of age.

"Age appropriate" was coined by bitter old women who look bad, and want to drag everyone else to their level of bitter unattractiveness. I can't shop in "old lady" stores because A. Everything is too big. B. The fabrics used in these frumpy schmattas tend to make one smell like cat pee when one sweats.

There is no "age appropriate", just what's appropriate for the occasion/venue.

Ha! So true!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >