Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 103
How should a very fit 40 year old dress?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Appropriate, for what situation, and frowned upon by women, what women? Why be that concerned with what other people think. If depends on who and what you're dressing for. Appropriateness would be not wearing a halter top and shorts to a funeral or wedding, for instance. Outside of that and whatever dress codes for a place of employment, I would think that whatever is appropriate is whatever you're comfortable wearing. Clothes are a means of self expression, if you want to wear something that reveals your belly button, then why not? Me personally I dress for the comfort of the situation, I wouldn't wear high heels to an amusement park, for example. I say wear what you think looks good on you and screw being a slave to fashion. But hey, that's just me.
 carribeanking7
Msg: 104
How should a very fit 40 year old dress?
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:51 PM
Have to agree with bucs...the keyword is APPROPRIATE
The temperatures where I live can reach 30+degrees in the shade..
so most times I am in shorts and cut-off T-shirts......not to office and formal functions though.

We start out wearing diapers and start wearing them again when old age and incontinence strikes......in between that we should wear whatever we want....LOL

BTWbucs...nice pics of you on SAS's profile.
 designingwoman
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:38 PM
Hi Bucs,

Well said!! I agree with the importance of dressing appropriately for the situation and being comfortable.

Yes, one can look "sexy" but also be comfortable.

DW
 bucsgirl
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:53:54 PM
I've said before in regards to marketing and fasion. Many sheep...baa... And I really am a female but not into shopping. The trends the hemlines...AKK!! I'll wear what I want and if I can't find a pump, I won't buy shoes. I loved the Munsters, but if I have to buy a pair of shoes, dress or casual with the big thick heels, forget it. It it means I don't buy shoes, I won't. If it means wearing something that hasn't been in "style" but I like, well kiss it, I'll wear it. I know what I like and that's what I wear. I couldn't care less if I'm on the upside or downside of a trend. Yawn...my clothes and my style are always totally me, I like it and doesn't matter how does or doesn't.
 sayonara7
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:47:49 PM
When I turn 40, I'm going to dress up just as I dress up now.Just because you become older in age does not mean you are older from inside.Yes, OP there is nothing wrong if you want to show your tight ,fit stomach.All those women saying otherwise are just jealous.Don't listen to them.
 sparticuss
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:58:30 PM
You have to even ask eyelin???

Have a look through the post about cleavage on the first date.

The guy asked, perfectly innocently, if the girl was trying to send a mess of hidden messagesadn didn't have the girls on the board get all self righteout and jump down his throat about that one.

ie girls should be able to wear what they choose without being hassled out about it etc.

Well???

Once again. Why do you ask.???

You KNOW that if I listed any opinons on appropriate dress that ANYBODY else didn't agree with then it would cause an uproar.

So why do you ask.??

Do you want to know my personal taste in clothing. Thats' fine. But thats just my taste. Thats about all.
 sparticuss
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/18/2006 11:03:36 PM
I'm almost 40 and I wear jeans studded belts and rock t-shirts mostly.
I feel like that is dressing down and being plain compared to how I used to dress.
I still wear fishnets mini skirts and platform boots sometimes too.

I wouldn't show off my belly being that it's fat, but if (and when) I get fit from working out, damn right I'd show it off. Just because you're older it doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to wear turtlenecks with little animals on them and clogs

Now let me see???????
I'm about the same age. And wear leather jackets, when riding my motobike.

And stretch jeans and roller blades.

And helmets, --- when falling off either.

Hairy chests are no longer trendy but I still shoe it off as I hate constricting neck wear.

And non fashionable facial hair for warmpth on cold days, on motorcycles or roller blades.
 crystalise
Msg: 133
Posted: 5/13/2007 4:58:53 AM
^^ Im 38 going on 39 and if I had a six pack and a bod to die for I sure as heck would be showing it off. That doesnt mean trying to be 'tarty' . But I would wear the short shorts and halter necks. Heck I wear halter necks and my hipster jeans now and dont anyone dare tell me cause Im pushing 40 I shoud bring out the smock or poncho...

Age shouldnt come into it anyway. You wear what suits you and what suits the occassion. No you wouldnt show your stomach at a classy restaurant, but if you are at the beach or the park or playing sport - why the heck not. I say go for it. You work hard for that figure.

As for a general answer - whatever is your body shape, wear something accordingly. If you have 3 spare tyres then don't wear clothes 2 sizes too small. Seriously most of what looks good or suits anyone is individual mixed with some social + physical common sense....

ps just cause some one is 20 doesnt mean they dont have the muffin top or turkey wings either...
 sometimes_miss
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/16/2007 11:16:24 AM
Wear whatever you want. What does anyone else get to say about it? They don't like what you're wearing, they don't have to look. People have been telling me for years to wear what I want, so I think that really applies to everyone. I actually applaud women who don't 'dress their age'. I think it's a stupid concept. The same as folks who tell others to act their age. Should an 80 year old just expect to wear 'old folks clothes', pants pulled up over their bellies, and orthopedic shoes? Nah. Rediculous. Should the 90 year old have to learn to like sitting in the rocking chair, drooling on himself? Nah. I think it's really sad that people really believe they have to fit into stereotypes, and even sadder that they apply those same distorted standards to others.
 PhilMeUpBaby
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 10:57:26 PM
Hmmmmm... how should a very fit 40 year old dress?

However she wants! I'm more interested in seeing a very fit 40 year old UNdress!!
 TroyMcLure
Msg: 151
Posted: 5/22/2007 6:45:45 AM
if youve got it flaunt it .....
btw Ive never seen a 40+ murdered by her contemporaries yet so....
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 152
Posted: 5/23/2007 11:26:33 PM
Julia Roberts (40, this year)
Nicole Kidman (40, this year)
Pamela Anderson (40, this year)
Salma Hayek (40)
Elizabeth Hurley (41)
Brooke Shields (42)
Courtney Cox Arquette (42)
Jennifer Beals (43)
Sandra Bullock (43)
Teri Hatcher (43)
Lisa Kudrow (44)
Helen Hunt (44)
Jodie Foster (45)
Sheryl Crow (45)
Heather Locklear (46)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (46)
Meg Ryan (46)
Angela Bassett (48)
Annette Bening (48)
Holly Hunter (48)
Madonna (48)
Andie MacDowell (49)
Jamie Lee Curtis (49)
Khandi Alexander (49)
Melanie Griffith (49)
Michelle Pfeiffer (49)
Rita Wilson (49)
Sharon Stone (49)

ask again how should a fit bodied 40 yr woman should dress
 Temple City
Msg: 155
Posted: 5/24/2007 7:41:38 AM
A fourty year-old person has choices to make. First and Foremost, what age group are they surrounded by. For example, a fourty year-old woman will dress more conservative with Seniors around. Yet, Place a man or woman with 30 year olds' and ... you will see a form of transformation that will take place in their clothing selection based on a younger social pressure.
 dpd22
Msg: 156
Posted: 5/24/2007 7:52:37 AM
IMO many 40+ yr women dress well. They know what type of wardrobe, makeup, hairstyle, and other beauty/skin products that makes them look more attractive. This comes from experience. What works for one 40+ yr old woman might not work for another 40+ yr old woman.
 EC22
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/25/2007 7:56:29 AM
There are also plenty of decent/good looking female national news anchors/reporters that are 40+ yrs old.

Jane Skinner 40 ( Fox News )
Jamie Colby 46 ( Fox News )
Rudi Bahktiar 40 ( Fox News )
Martha McCallum 42/43 ( Fox News )
Page Hopkins 41 ( Fox News )
Alisyn Camerota 40 ( Fox News )
Linda Vester 41 ( Formerly Fox News )
Brooke Alexander 43 ( Formerly Fox News )
Chris Jansing 50 ( MSNBC )
Donna Gregory 45/46 ( MSNBC )
Alison Stewart 40 ( MSNBC )
Alex Witt 43 ( MSNBC )
Deborah Norville 48
Meredith Viera 53
Campbell Brown ( turns 40 in June )
Paula Zahn 51
Catherine Callaway 47 ( HLN/CNN )
Kathleen Kennedy 42 ( formerly at HLN/CNN )
Holly Firfer 40 ( formerly at HLN/CNN )
Soledad O'Brien 40
Suzanne Malveaux 40
Kelly Cass 40 ( The Weather Channel )
Heather Tesch 40 ( TWC )
Sharon Resultan 41 ( TWC )
Elizabeth Vargas 44
Diane Sawyer 61
Hannah Storm 44 ( CBS Early Show )
Katie Couric 50
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 159
Posted: 5/25/2007 9:58:28 AM

Is it appropiate for her to show thier belly button? If you think no then why cleavage or short skirt. if you have a bompletely flat tight stomach why is it frowned apon from other women ,you know ya get the up and down look ..........

I am almost 40 and I can't imagine why other women do this either. I wear a size 4 and my stomach is not only flat, I have a six pack to go with it - why shouldn't I show it off? Most women should be focused on their own lives. Therefore it can only be two things that I can think of:

1. Jealousy
2. Prudishness

Neither is an attractive quality.
 mad-luv
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 11:25:00 AM
Demi Moore is also 40+
 mad-luv
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 11:35:17 AM

haywiresue
Its not an age thing its a "total look" thing. If you are 40 have a decent body and a certain style looks good good on you and you like it - go for it and good for you.

I'm 50 and just bought a pair of skateboarder shoes and for my birthday next week I am buying a skateboard - why you say - because I want to learn how to skateboard. Now some people have looked at me weird and others have said "You Go Girl" so its all about perception.

Live you life, its your life and there for YOU to enjoy. Your friends will applaud you and be happy for you - the others are jealous - so dont worry about them.

sue all I have to say is you go girl. last year in the city that I live there was this guy skateboarding with his son, well the father was around 70 and his son was like 10 and if that isn't somthing I don't know what is.The father even had skateboard shoes
 *buzz*
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2007 12:48:20 PM
To wear enough allowing body to breath
 * Succinct *
Msg: 171
Posted: 5/28/2007 8:50:43 AM
she should dress however she wants
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 172
Posted: 5/28/2007 10:42:01 AM
You might not think that after seeing a 40something dressed up like Madonna circa 1980. Bleh.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2007 3:16:05 PM
Try it in a place you're not used to going to, where there are young and old men, and other women dressed that way, and see how men look at you.
If all the guys are checking you out and smiling, and you suddenly find young and old men are all trying it on, then you look good.

If all the guys are turning away, or trying to look away, then you know you're mutton dressed as lamb.

I've met women in their mid 40s, who look like very attractive 25-year olds. Most young guys try it on, and get a shock when they say they're too young for these women.
I've even seen women on here in their 50s, who could carry off showing your midriff.
You're not alone. My sis first got a flat stomach when she was 36.
Put up some pics, though. It's always great to see women over 30 who look good.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >