Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oneafternoon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
WOULD YOU DATE SOMEONE WITH A DISABILITY?PART TWO!Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
She's from ontario ... born a twat!
 Test_Pilot
Msg: 18
view profile
History
WOULD YOU DATE SOMEONE WITH A DISABILITY?PART TWO!
Posted: 12/8/2005 11:57:36 AM
I have to agree. I was like WTF? You are one nasty little girl pun-kin.
 sctrrdr69
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2005 5:33:35 PM
I could get into VERY long discertations on this subject, but really, you should have defined what you meant by a disability... physically handicapped? mentally handicapped? we're all handicapped in some way although a lot of people don't even realize that fact, any kind of restriction or even the slightest impedement can be considered a disability or handicap.My youngest brother is a non-functional autistic with an IQ of 30, but I love him dearly, I have a very high IQ (am a card carrying member of MENSA) but I am just as mentally handicaped as he is for being so different and limited because the way I think is different than others.

OT- I have dated women with disabilities in the past and might again
 SunnyMommy
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:20:43 PM
I would not have any problem dating somebody with a disability. When I date someone it is for who they are as a person and having a disability does not impact this. As long as I am compatiable with someone, I am not going to let a disability keep me apart from someone that might be the love of my life.
 rtullos808
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2006 3:04:00 PM
i am a slightly disabled man. i have no trouble finding women, just honest women that actually mean what they say. i walk with a limp and had a tumor on my right side. it doesnt stop my life in any way shape or form. it certainly dont stop things in the bedroom thats for sure. of course on the other hand, i have never dated a disabled woman before, but im certainly ok with it.
 daie_zee
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/14/2006 5:38:02 AM
First of all... Pun-Kin, just re-read everything everyone has said about you, and make that from me as well..

second, I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having trouble finding a partner due to any limitations/disabilities you may have.
I for one am sad to hear that marriages have fallen apart due to an unexpected, or increasing disability. I guess it's easier to say "In sickness and in health, till death do us part" than to actually mean it...
I have dated and will continue to potentially date people with disabilities. My sons father has an artificial leg (that break up was about personality and trust issues, not disability issues). And my son actually has a rare adrenal gland disorder which will require him to carry an emergency injection at all times and take medication three times daily for the rest of his life. I hope that he will be able to grow (hes only two) and accept himself for the good person I hope he becomes, and that he is accepted by others, male and female and never has to deal with the ignorant opinions that some of society unfortunatly has.
I wish all of you luck... don't give up! There's someone out there who will accept you for who you are - all of you!
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2006 6:24:22 PM
Blackwolf...I have two disabilities #1 obesity and the other my right leg was amputeed below the knee in 2003...after 51years with 2 legs now I am in a wheelchair until Ican learn how to walk with my pros.( fake Leg)....I kee p hoping I wil;l find Mr Right but always seem to come across Mr WRONG....lol
 Diva Po-Po Princess
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2006 3:23:20 PM
My son's father has had 1/2 of one foot amputated and has 4 toes on the other foot. He has Buerger's disease. He did not have any of this when we were together, he was "whole" and well, he was....well for reasons known to me I never told him I was pregnant...until recently, for fear I'd get thrown out a window. My son is 8.

I heard through the grapevine of all his surgeries, finally ran into him, talked to him, I was expecting him to go off on me like the guy I knew, but he has completely changed and he admits it's because of his disease and his new found disability. He now wants to step up and take care of his son and be in his life..something I honestly don't think he would ever want if it wasn't for this. In fact, I just wanted to know what was wrong with him and if my son could be at risk because of genetics. I wasn't expecting anything else of him and it turns out I was wrong.

Anyway, we've been talking a lot, he's going to meet his son tomorrow, we've been talking about maybe trying to make things work between us. I will consider it. If I don't do it it wont' be because of his disability, it will be because of things I can't get past from 8-9 years ago.
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2007 8:16:32 PM
Hi Blackwolf,

Even though you have been diagnosed with MS, has anyone ever mentioned that you might have Lyme Disease instead of MS? Lyme Disease is curable, MS is not.
 bratalyn
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2007 10:04:07 PM
It is more acceptable to this thread to date someone with a physical disability than a mental disability. I read the attacks on the mental disabilities. Guess that is open game. It's only right to be polite when a disability is visable to the eye. This thread saddens me.

OP I wish you the best of luck. I don't know what happens to people with MS.

I applaud you that you will not quit your post. You know, everyone has a story, and every story should be heard. That is something that is passed down generation after generation.
 bratalyn
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2007 10:34:34 PM
wildflowerkitten:

You stated that you have a problem with people who have emotional disabilities, you stated that they refuse to see it or do anything about it.

The people with emotional disablities are so shamed that they hide it. Haven't you read the earlier posts where people laugh about the nuts with mental disabilities?

People suggest a disability can be controlled if it is not physical. Meaning if they don't see a cane or a wheel chair then it is mental and this means (to them) that the disability doesn't exist. If the person appears to have a mental impairment then they are not trying to help themself unless they PROVE they are helping themself. I know your not talking about Downs Symdrome. Your talking about other problems that are less understood.

I'm not attacking you. I'm just adding my point of view.
 waterfall1956
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/13/2007 12:44:46 PM
hear hear vixen, i too have a disability caused by a stroke(was"normal" until then)- cud happen to anyone anytimne, car accident, accident at work, think sum pple shud consider the maxin-"there but for the grace of god go i"u stay where u r hun f em
 guyot
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:40:51 AM
I have had wonderful relationships with women with significant disabilities. They were the most outstanding relationships of my life. I am fully attracted to women with disabilities or physical differences. Why not?
 eveningstar123
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 7:41:03 PM
really? Can you tell me where some of them are, because I'm a woman with a disability And find it nearly impossible to find a guy who would be willing to date me because of my physical disability... it's like a repellent or something.
 guyot
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 2:11:33 PM

"really? Can you tell me where some of them are, because I'm a woman with a disability And find it nearly impossible to find a guy who would be willing to date me because of my physical disability... it's like a repellent or something."

I for one have had serious relationships with women with disabilities, and each one was unique and wonderful. I prefer women who are physically unique in some way or have a diability, and am not at all afraid of women who use a wheelchair or other equipment. Yes, I admit that most people do not feel this way, and some people with disabilities are uncomfortable with my preference for them. Yet I truly believe that there are men out there like myself who would find your disability no barrier at all.

I wish you the very best of luck!

-Gray
 michaeld70
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 2:53:52 PM

I'm disabled with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and I rely on a ventilator to breathe 24/7 and I have lived in rehab hospital for just over 18 years.

Here is the situation I was in with the woman I was with for 6 years until we recently split up. Her brother had the same form of MD, it runs in her family although he is only 30 now. She desperately wants kids but also knows that with a boy, chances are that he will get MD, and the girls will likely be carriers. He has lived with the family all his life and has a homecare worker that comes in when both parents are working. The family loves him to death and have watched him "on his death bed" MANY times over the years since he was a teen. At 30, hes lived much longer than any doctor has expected. He has no independence at all and needs constant attention, even not being able to cough could cause flem to choke him to death. Until a year or 2 ago he could at least move his fingers enough to play his video games. He now has zero mobility and cant even hold his own fork or spoon. He could have a heart attack at any time as his heart muscles have deteriorated so much. A cold or flu could also be life threatening. It was hard for me to see this wonderful young man slowly deteriorate, but the family have been seeing it since he was about 8.

We talked about kids and there was a chance that thru genetic counselling, etc. that they may be able to prevent MD in our children, but there is also the chance it wouldnt work at all. She told me how hard it was on her dad, seeing him cry on occasion and I know I would be the same. I know that it would be very hard on me to know that your child will almost certainly die before me, and so I couldnt take the chance and see my own child living like I watched her brother for 6 years. I dont think it would be right to have a child like that, knowing that he will be suffering for most of his life. I assume that I will get hatemail, maybe even praise for my "greedy" outlook, but I dont think it would be fair to the child or the family.
 Goldhartmusic
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 9:21:52 AM
Well, I have to say that when I joined POF and decided to be completely honest about my disability (Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome, using a walker to get around) that I wouldn't get any responses, but I was pleasantly surprised! Lots of offers to go out already! And I find that the few guys I've been involved with since my disability came along really don't see it--they see ME and love me for myself. There are a few angels out there, so we disabled shouldn't give up, I say.
 tofuwink
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2010 11:08:29 PM
I have mild cerebral Palsy and I talk about it openly in my profile. Although, I know some people with disabilities think that any difference or mention of a disability sends people "running for the hills" that has not been my experience. I am not saying that I haven't experienced rejection due to my disability, but the reality of getting rejected because of my disability isn't as prevalent as I once thought it was. For example, I have found that, in the past, it was often ME who rejected my body before I gave my partner or romantic interest a chance to reject me. I projected my feelings of insecurity onto them. I have sabotaged more than one potential relationship because of my own insecurity about my disability. Today, I realize life is short and I am much more than a walk. I am honest about my disability (I walk differently anyway, so I can't hide it) and I do not apologize for it. It's my body, it is human diversity, nothing more, nothing less. I find that how people react to my walk is directly related to how I portray myself and how I react to my walk. Now, there will always be ***holes who will dismiss me no matter what I do, but I think they can be in the minority in my life.
I think in order to get dates or become intimate with a person, one has to first believe that they are sexy and date-able. For example, ( not to sound conceited) I think I'm hot. I go to the gym, I work out, I take care of my body, I wear clothes that show off my curves and make me feel hot, I am also kind, compassionate and intelligent and funny... and I have Cerebral Palsy, I walk with a limp. I can't give the people who view my disability in a negative light the power to erase the other positive aspects of my body and identity. Sometimes, this can be a daily struggle... but like everything else, self - acceptance and confidence sometimes has to be practiced in order for it to be believed. So when I do feel bad about my CP, I remind myself that I only have one life and one body; I am powerless over how other people react to me; and there is a hell of a lot of people in the world - and who I am to assume that they will reject me? Who am I to think for them?
I hope that regardless of how many dates any one has gotten since you first started this thread, that you all feel beautiful, sexual, and worthy.
Peace.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/18/2010 1:41:25 PM
I know i would get jumped on for this but i would rather not date anyone with disability. Im very active and would like to date someone who can be as active. Now if the disability is not effecting you from being active, Then yea. Same token when i ride my bike i got a big note in the pocket that says DNR and it going on the suit in larger letters on the back as i cant see my self not being active the rest of my life.
 Razier30
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:14:32 AM
I have tried dating a few times and it is exceptionally frustrating for me due to the simple fact that I do have a physical disability. The largest reason is that a lot of women I have met originally say that the disability does not concern them, until they realize precisely what that it means.

I have Cerebral Palsy, and while I like to think I am reasonably intelligent as well as a good person, the things I can not do seem to eventually make things difficult. I will never be able to hold a woman in my arms while I dance, or go hiking. Camping would be difficult as well. So that would leave things like movies, talking, going to restaurants, and things like that. While I personally see nothing wrong with those activities, I believe that the physical activities that I mentioned above are just as important to a majority of the women I have met.

I am not upset or angry about that fact, but it is unfortunate that it has to be so difficult due to circumstances beyond my control.

Another percentage think that I am looking for a nurse or something to take care of me. This is completely not the case as I have survived for 32 years taking care of myself and prefer to look after myself.

These thought processes have made the dating rather difficult and at times hurtful. Even still, I do think that if I get lucky and find the right woman, it will all be worth it.
 JosephHill
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/24/2011 3:58:10 PM
Totally beg to differ!!!
 JosephHill
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/24/2011 3:59:39 PM
Crap...that was with reference to the fellow who said that women don't date men with disabilities.....Thought it would quote it but it didn't lol

Anyway...I totally beg to differ...Women date nice guys...period!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >