Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone with a mental illness?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 namesake
Msg: 101
Would you date someone with a mental illness?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Date someone who can become violent and any given moment because they decide to take a med vacation ..

Not everyone with a mental illness can become violent at any given moment...except the people with impulse control or anger management problems but those aren't what you listed.

Everyone is an individual. Everyone behaves differently when they are ill just like everyone behaves differently when they are well.

Furthermore you don't just become either manic or schiz particularly not as a result of becoming sober.

Reasons for med vacations and the frequency of such decisions also vary from person to person.

I find it funny that you married an drug addict/alcholic but sound disappointed he turned out 'crazy' instead. Was he a non-violent drug addict/alcholic? How nice. But then again, I have a mental illness so maybe my sense of humour is warped or something.
 GetOffMe
Msg: 102
Would you date someone with a mental illness?
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:53:16 PM
I think everyone has a mental illness.
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/22/2008 6:04:44 PM
^^^lol i was thinking the same thing. depends on the day and whether it's a 2 or a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, lol.

i dated somebody for a couple of years who was cyclothymic, which is a low-grade version of manic-depressive disorder. it was a major P.I.T.A. but manageable. and i loved and cared for him so i was able to overlook it.

but no, i don't think would be willing to go through that again. once is enough, thanks a bunch.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/23/2008 2:15:51 AM
This whole thread makes me sad because if someone has another type of illness then we seem fine with it, but those with a mental illness need love too..................and alot more understanding..................
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2008 2:40:17 AM
Go ahead. Nothing curable but meds can effectively control bipolar. For me? Been there. Done that. And I won't do it again.
 Vannili
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2008 2:22:44 PM
I will not date a person with any illness,even how desparate and lonely I am. Enuff said.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/23/2008 3:41:14 PM
No way. I can not entertain all the personalities and drama accompanied by most disorders. There was one man from over a year ago who admitted to me AFTER I had been seeing him and moved long distance for him about all his "illnesses" and I can not tell you how much it explained WHY he was such a mess, and tried to mess up my life. So, I go for the sane, non medicated ones. I would rather be alone. Some of these disorders are very difficult to notice. Another reason I will never do "long distance" again. If I can not see your behavior day to day, I won't see you at all. End of discussion.
 LooKButterflyZz
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/23/2008 9:19:21 PM
Hello
Well I am fortunate enough to get to work and be among the unfortunate people who have the uncanny ability to pi..ss ya off on a daily basis ''Especially the guys and gals who are wanting drugs and
plenty of them ....
They do not care if you get in the cross fire { meaning there
carelessness and sneaky
endeavors } I told myself I would not ever allow myself to be in close
proximaty
of a drug addict ''we are talkin heavy drug user ''IM's however they can get the
biggest dose to mankind ...Yea that kind I was maried to him

'He did a nintey after being with him straight for 8 years ..I did not have
a clue how
this was or went 'I did not know him when he was using prior to my
meeting him .
So anyhoo
I had a wake up call that has lasted far to long . Blamed self for being foolish and gullable ............
The sad thing is people think that a dose a methadone is going to
solve there problem of addiction
when in reality all it does it delude someone
cause after ingesting that drug for a long period of time
and its primary purpose being someone really wants to
quit drugs ''But for those who dont ''One can only speculate it is
setting them up for suicide after large consumption cause they
will not ever feel that same euphoria or high as before and they may try to pick up where they left off from the git go of there addiction ''That is just my opinion
it is not a documentary or proven fact or a statistic ..
But from what I read and understood > is Methadones purpose
and hope for a person addicted to heavy drug use ..... It aliviates the pain and
other inflictictions or pain ..... [plays tricks on the mind one might say } change some
brain activity in some way >............
 take care 08
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2008 12:25:04 PM
i would if that persons was under medication why not its just a broken brain
 Further
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/10/2008 1:02:11 PM
First off...Mental illness, varies in severity with each individual, remember that?...Individuality???... Or, are you like yarimelma who sees the world only threw his limited, "discriminative" perceptions...I dated a gal with Bipolar disorder and i couldn't even see it in her...Although we didn't go on romantically, she is one of my best friends...and again Mr. yarimelma...I wouldn't go near anyone with your myopic, prejudice, and just plain IGNORANT, way of seeing people...

you are something else...
 lostgirl71
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/10/2008 1:14:43 PM

you are something else...

He really is Something else ... Something very special - dont judge him unless you know him quite well.

So he isnt allowed to believe what he likes and what he needs in a person but your right? you talk of discriminative views but putting yours on him is just as bad. So you feel he should accept something that he obviously does not feel is for him. How about this - you keep the bi polar chicks and Ill take care of him ok?

He is quite special
 Further
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:15:08 PM
Quote from lost girl: Ill take care of him ok?

I see that he is not to capable of taking care of himself and needs a woman to come in and stick up for him....geeezus....you gotta be kidding me and "lost" girl is a very appropriate name that you have selected....LOLOL!!../

The greatest challenge that the mentally ill face is, combating his type, of "ignorance" ...Some of the greatest minds in history, have "suffered" from
some forms of mental illness...Why are you guys, so afraid???..why do you choose to tag people, with illness's they way you do?..I am very educated in Psychology and I assure you that, your perceptions and comments are very insensitive and just plain WRONG, to people with mental disorders...
I would take having a mental disorder any day, over having the obvious "character" disorders that the both of you suffer from and you take care of him well now!!!!!...

That is one of the funniest, most "pathetic" things, I have ever seen in these forums, thanks for the laugh!!!!
 Further
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:21:22 PM
up date...almost 10 minutes later and still, laughing my guts out!!!! LOLOL!!!

THANK YOU LOST GIRL!!!..../////////

lostgirl71
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:21:33 PM
dear mr further

again you are the one that is being judgemental. You have decided who I am as a person based on four lines of post? good for you. So I am pleased that I have caused you distaste in myself because of your dismissive attitude toward anyone else whose views differ then yours would make you someone I would not even wish to correspond with much less get to know.

For the record he had me do nothing - I have a mind of my own -

YOU put the labeling and tagging on what his statement and mine were not us - you have determined personal thoughts based off of disinterest in dating a person with perceived issues. There are many people I would not date it does not mean that I am afraid or have character flaws.

So does it feel good to attack a person because they disagree with you?

You also picked a good screen name - further - as is further from the truth I believe. Get over yourself - your not that great and your opinion is no more valid then mine.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:37:12 PM
Only if I was crazy for her.
(sorry. couldn't resist)
 Further
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:42:44 PM
Look, read his postings...How do you think that would make a woman feel who suffers from some form of mental illness?...It isn't just him, who carries on like this...I worked for Canadian Mental Health Associaton...CMHA...They even have
'campaigns" to stop this type of ignorance, towards "unfortunate" people, who suffer from these conditions...and I will add, Mental illness can hit anyone, at anytime, in their lives. Just like any other type of "diseases"..so it could happen to you and then,
if he carried on this way, would he be the jewel that you claim???...

Why do you feel that, people who have, these type of health problems, don't deserve 'respect" love, companionship and understanding"??...

His postings are awful and very insensitive, not to mention ARROGANT...

Also, You tagged women...as Bipolar "chics" that in its self is very discriminative.
You are separating people with mental disorders from us and they are just like anyone else, it is NOT a form of weakness, what is weak is your guys type of ignorance, it is like a form of apartheid which you are imposing on "people" and again,,,it could happen to you...
Then what would you say, to people who carry on like he does???

PS hardy har har stray cat...lolol....
 lostgirl71
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:58:18 PM
and again since you dont know me you have no idea what my communication style is so I will reiterate again you are the one being judgemental. I call all women chicks - it is not dismissive, discriminative or in any way a term of distaste.

No one stated they dont deserve love, you read that in the post, his statement is it is not for him, you took it to an attack on character. His postings are his view - you choose to read arrogance in them but I have yet to read one where it comes across as that based on what I know - not on what you assume. I did not base my response to him on his statement here alone. again you assume.

The only separation I did was separated women from men - you made it into something based on the mental state. It appears that in your attempt to show support you are actually causing the strife not I.

Could happen to you - could happen to me - you missed the point completely of his post and mine. But that is OK because if your elitist attitude is what works for you I will not judge you based off of it other then to state you are injecting much more meaning then was provided - normally that equates to someone with unpopular views who is attempting to be PC. So please continue - You are showing me far more about your personality then you are pointing out in mine.

You do know what they say about a person who protests too much right?
 JSlade58
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:03:35 PM

Sure i would ! A couple valium and a couple beers and she'd be fine.
 Further
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:10:34 PM
no one stated that they don't deserve love??? well lets take a look at this nice postings from him and I quote:

"You can have all the " unstable " ones. I wish we had more people like you, so that we'd have less "mentally/emotionally fked up single women floating around"

and I will add, yet another senstive, caring, posting of his declaring people with mental disorders, do deserve love..and I quote:

" Oh Fk NO!
That's actually one thing I pay attention to more than anything!
Absolutely NO mentally and emotionally unstable people!...
You're having "panic attacks", on bi-polar meds, you come & go, hot one day and cold the next...Jebus Krist! Wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole! RUn RUn RUn"

so, don't touch women with mental disorders with a ten foot pole and run run run

and you explain those "dreadful" comments to me, as not being insensitive, and ignorant...It is an open admission, of utter, discrimination towards people with mental disorders..This is nothing to do with me feeling that he doesn't agree with me.

I work with people, who have severe forms of mental illness and again, the greatest thing that they face is, the utter ignorance and insensitivity that people like him hold against them...

You seem quite bright..How can you defend his AWFUL postings??? I think you are infatuated with him, you just aren't seeing things clearly...

PS Geeezus, Jslade...lolololol...I even find that funny...lolol....

lostgirl71
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:46:12 PM
His post was a direct answer to the question posed in this thread. The question is "would you date someone with a mental illness". His answer does not equate to not deserving love at all. It was a clear statement on his views. HE would not date them. He never stated that undeserving from others. That is my point, you assumed from all - he stated a preference. Insensitive would be stating that they dont deserve love from anyone, that was not stated.

My point again is that it is always better to have preference, deal breakers and other such items on the table and presented and not hide behind the PC view that the world is required to present itself with now. His statement = His view for Him not for the world. I choose to defend his post because it is personal choice he is permitted to have his. I believe completely in individuality and expressing personal views even if not so popular.

As far as your statement on infatuated with him causing me to not see things clearly. You are partly correct in this statement. There a bit more then infatuation .. and it is two ways. But I always think clearly.

PS - on a side not - I am far from a lost girl .. the name has more meaning then being clueless
 Rachelle~C
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:56:22 PM
Everyone has some type of mental illness. Most people call them quirks or oddities, maybe they call them an eccentric person. Most people suffer with something at some point in their life.

Mental illness can hit anyone, at anytime, in their lives.

Exactly every single one of us will be hit with some level of "mental illness" at some point in our lives. No one gets away from it. Your parents die and you get depressed, guess what you are suffering from a mental illness called depression. You are going through a stressful time at work and are very anxious and sleep deprived, guess what? You are suffering from a mental disorder.

Mental diseases have different levels of severity to them just like any other kind of disease.
 Further
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:28:11 PM
If his postings were a direct answer, perhaps stating it simply like this, would be more appropriate:

"I personally don't feel there is any great wrong with people who suffer from mental disorders, however, It is something that i don't have an understanding towards so, I wouldn't date a woman who "suffers" from this"...

Now, you openly admit your infatuation, for him...and I am NOT taking a shot at you.
How do you think I made a correct assumption like that???

I did because you have a good head on your shoulders and you are NOT seeing him for him and infatuation does that, i can hear it your postings and I am going to add, and this is just a personal observation..BECAREFUL after seeing his comments, you will never convince me, that he is a great guy..no bl.oody way...You are new in this relationship..I can tell...and again, you take an honest look at his postings and tell me, or even better yourself that, his postings are appropriate way of expressing his views...and I am going to ask you this again, what if you came down with the affliction of some form of mental illness and he holds these "harsh" views???? and believe me, it can happen to ANYONE...Picture yourself very ill and then, he dumps you simply because you are ill...

Now, does that clarify things?...and I will be honest, I think you are way to good for this guy...I am always right about these things...I have been counseling people for over twenty years and in my opinion, you are in trouble, I am sorry I am NOT taking shots, it is an honest observation...

I will be back soon, so if you do have time answer this question, that is, what if you experienced some "trauma" in your life and developed, a mental disorder, as a result of your misfortune?...and trauma can do that and this character holds these utterly harsh views, towards people, just because they have a medical condition??? ..then what?..and again, anyone can suffer traumatic events that can induce forms of mental illness..okay?...you better take a clearer look...
 lostgirl71
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:51:33 PM
Thank you for your concern - But there are several factors you are not aware of so please do not judge his character nor mine.

1) We are not talking someone I do not know - I know quite well
2) Nowhere did I state length of time
3) I tend to ramble in posts he does not
4) You are told in post his or anyones high level view the basic facts - not the rational behind those - those are reserved for free flowing conversation that occur
5) All statements are would you date knowing the person had these issues from the get go - not developed as a result of a trauma - you are again making assumptions on a person based on a direct answer. No where was it asked would you stay with a person that ...
6) I would not degrade or speak down about a person you care about - please show the same respect. Until you are on my side you do not see what I see.
7) I am highly careful - and trust me you are reading all wrong into personality traits that you believe are there that arent
8) One of the best things about being human is free will. I am well capable of making my own decision on a person, you nor anyone even those that know me best will ever change my mind on a person I have taken the time to get to know

as far as the how did you know there is infatuation - I would think the little man with hearts coming out of its head and me stating he is very special would be enough of a clue to determine it. I didn't really leave it to rocket science.

You wrote how you felt the message should be written if a persons answer to the OP was a no they would not date someone with a mental disorder, your wording was not only the answer but the socially acceptable terminology to show there is no discriminative views of someone being deserving of love. Again that was not the question asked - he answered of him. You read much more into the comment then needed because of your profession and affiliation. Your answer is no more correct then his - your is just PC.

To be honest with you - I find your post much more offensive then his. His was generalized - yours was personally aimed at him and I. I wont tolerate a person attacking anyone I care about. So I spoke up because I happened to notice it. I would think you would appreciate this trait in a person, stand up for the one your with - a untied front when they are called out unnecessarily

Now we are both turning this into a chat thread which is against terms of use of the boards - so to bring it back on the topic... My answer is going into a relationship I would not willingly date a person with a mental illness because I have been there and have dealt in the past with a narcissist who was also bi polar and that is one hell I do not wish to endure again.

Did you ever consider the answers of NO given are due to a persons experiences and therefore they know the reason why they wouldn't but do not choose to ramble about the whys?
 Further
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:03:47 PM
I rest my case...thank you for being so honest, however, I didn't need to be told this, it is obvious your not a good person...
 lostgirl71
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:03:53 PM

See Hon! You're in trouble, this guy speaks the truth, for sure!

I think Ill take my chance with you - you big oak tree ..

Now grab the yahtzee and the half a cow we got some talking to do

I rest my case...thank you for being so honest, however, I didn't need to be told this, it is obvious your not a good person...

GRRRR ... really you need to stop degrading him - now your just pissing me off.

It is so heartwarming to see a person who feels based on the most sarcastic post even written you can make a snap judgement on character of a person.

You know what - he knows his flaws while you are oblivious to your own - you are the judgemental one.

let me know when you find a match on here, I would like to write her and trash talk to her. You know because I am qualified as a stranger and all. After all I work with idiots all day therefore I am qualified to discuss them ..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone with a mental illness?