Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > What do you think of a peron committing suicide over a broken heart??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pansydivision101
Msg: 367
What do you think of a peron committing suicide over a broken heart??Page 37 of 63    (23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63)
um, i tried to commit suicide following a nasty break up.....i jumped off a bridge. at the time, i was so consumed in misery i didn't know what else to do. in hindsight it was a bit of a mistake, but oh well.... i survived.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 368
What do you think of a peron committing suicide over a broken heart??
Posted: 11/4/2011 9:40:10 PM

I'm almost 35, and it takes a long time for me to find anyone to connect with (romantically or otherwise). Yes, it's my own fault, and I've been trying to work on it. But I have nothing of any real worth right now, and at best (based on experience) a few years of painful digging to try an find another lover or close friend, much less someone that made me feel the way she did. I'm holding on for the moment, but it's pretty hard to come up with any logical answer as to why. Mostly it's just habit.
I'm toughing it out, but I really couldn't blame anyone else who feels this way for choosing otherwise.

Bless your heart for hanging on. I think we all hit that point at some time in our lives, hopefully we're still here in bodily form when we can gain enough insight to know it could happen. I recently counted the years of my adult life (since age 18) that I've actually been in a long-term relationship and I was shocked to realize that at 47, only 12 of those nearly 20 years were shared with someone other than my son. I've not felt the sting of loneliness or having experienced true romantic-heartbreak other than at age 21 and age 47. But the truth is? I've never thought of suicide either. Likely because I'm perfectly happy, maybe even happiest all alone. Like you, I'm working on things!! As for you not having anything of "real worth" at the moment? I'd differ with you on that note. You have you. And I think suicide, most often, is when the "you" is lost and can not be found anywhere in the mind's eye/heart/soul. You just keep holding on to what you have!! YOU!!! It'll all work out just fine in the end. We don't all have to have a SO, BF/GF for life to be blessed. We just need to forge ahead with even tiny steps, maybe volunteer or reach out to someone else, anything that makes you feel good about you. The connection part of life? It's tough for some of us. But just like me, I reached out to two gals here in forums after I lost my son and I now have "connection." There will come that day for you, too. JMO
 kailania
Msg: 369
Posted: 11/7/2011 2:59:17 PM
yorkslass: that was not very nice of you. this post is about suicide and the girl was honest in telling what she did. yes,...she messed up but thankfully she is alive now. she may have a lot to share with others who are feeling suicidal.
 Inexperience
Msg: 370
Posted: 11/7/2011 9:09:08 PM
I've known a few kids growing up who's taken their lives over a broken heart. I almost did in my senior year of high school as a result of a girl playing mind games with me.

During my adult life I was rejected by a girl I knew since those days and became wreckless but thankfully it happened at a time when it did or else I may have gone that extra mile but I've learned not to care anymore. It was a lot of growing to do but I'm glad I did in that aspect of my life.
 Della D
Msg: 371
Posted: 11/8/2011 12:48:11 PM
While I definitely believe that everybody has the right to decide for themselves in what circumstances, in/on what conditions they feel their life is worth living, I can not understand why someone would want to end their life over a broken heart.

It's not like a broken heart is a terminal illness where the person is doomed to suffer a slow and painful death. Even if it might feel that way at first for some people, it is actually NOT terminal.
 kailania
Msg: 372
Posted: 11/8/2011 1:30:07 PM
they just cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,
even though it really is there.
my freinds husband died and she wished to die or kill herself to escape the pain.
but she has children and would never abandon them that way.
suicide is an ultimate abandonement of those who are close to you.
leaving them to suffer and perhaps even wonder if they missed an opportunity to help.

on the other hand,..no one knows how much deep pain the other is in and how much they can handle. getting help, talking it out, is better than suicide. imo
 minpinz
Msg: 373
Posted: 11/17/2011 2:26:56 PM
I attempted it myself, serious attempt didn't tell anyone but I wanted to kill myself because I caused the break up, I pushed the man I loved into giving up on me :( I hurt him and the regret and pain I felt was enough to make me consider ending my own life. A friend caught me and had me admitted to the mental hospital where I stayed for 8 miserable days. I hated it there but I was not alone there were people in there who were just as bad off as me maybe even worse but there I was.

I still live with a broken heart to this day, theres just some things you go through in life that cannot be mended...........there will always be that mental scar, but I didn't have to attempt suicide because my body was practically already killing itself at the time. I stopped eating, I stayed in bed, I cried, I loathed myself, I thought about slitting my throat and wrists. Then come July I had a stroke that was later misdiagnosed as Multiple Slcerosis. the disease had been dormant but I let my health suffer to the point I helped the disease progress and here I am now. I got a second chance at life but this disease is eating at me. I know killing myself wasn't the answer but that was how I felt at the time. You think the one you loved wouldn't give a damn or only feel regret then. Its a terrible feeling and you just want it to end. This disease impacts me in so many ways I'm amazed I can even type and spell simple words there are some times I can't even do that. Am I still suicidal? some times, but not depressed enough to do it, just think about it and thats it.
A broken heart can kill you though............my great grandmother died of a broken heart a week before christmas. after seeing that happen I was sure it was going to happen to me and it still may.
 minpinz
Msg: 374
Posted: 11/17/2011 4:16:06 PM
and it just might be today my illness is already affecting my lungs and im very depressed and choked up inside...........
 Jaimes004
Msg: 377
Posted: 11/20/2011 10:25:11 AM
I have not thought about this in almost 22 years, but this thread brought it all back like it happened yesterday.

I had a very dear [best] friend that got his girlfriend pregnant at an early age. She was 16, and very much, what we call today, a drama queen. If nothing was going on, she would create it! I did not comprehend what he saw in her besides her good looks and flirty personality...so be it. Anyway, when she found out she was pregnant, she killed herself with a gunshot to the head. My friend was so distraught, that no one had any luck reaching him...including me. He blocked everyone out, friends and family. I so wish I could have figured out what was his thought process was so that we could reach out to him on his level. Well, 2 weeks later, and on his 18th birthday, he took his own life the exact way his girlfriend had done.....a single gunshot to the head.

When I was divorced a couple of years ago, I had a brief glimpse of what my best friend could have been feeling; betrayal, loneliness, hurt, and a multitude of others rushing to the surface. It is a very painful time in ones life, and we have that idea that we cannot handle it! Because I have been on both sides, and the the extreme pain that suicide causes to your family, friends, and community, I am very quick to extinguish any such feeling.

So in the grand scheme of life, Who is more important to you? One single person who walked out of your life? Or, losing a lifetime of joy with the friends and family who are there for you, and care for you the most?

Remember, if they are dumb enough to walk away, be smart enough to let them go, and move on to greater things! I have, and I am so thankful for the one I have found!
 Railrunner
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2011 6:17:44 PM
Tried it today. Went down to the bus terminal downtown. There's only two buses running on Sunday. As it was approaching, I jumped out in front of it.

The driver, a fellow who I know, and is also into model railroading, hit the brakes hard, and turned the wheels. Thankfully he was deadheading from the garage, and had no one on board. Missed me by a few inches.

Dealing with some pretty heavy stuff right now. Tired of being used for money or free computers and computer repair. Tired of being alone every day and night. Tired of seeing my peers settling down, starting families, buying a house, so forth.

Tired of being an unwanted spare.

I felt at that point, there was only one way out. Obviously it didn't work. I still feel alone, worthless, unloved, and so forth.

Fortunately, for the driver, he has a 2400 series bus, that has no continuious cameras on board, just a Drive Cam, which is motion (g-force) activated. Of course THAT one recorded the whole thing! But then, the person working dispatch at the garage, knows me too, and managed to "lose" that video before management could see it on Monday.

Word apparently spread quick among the people I know at the garage, got a bunch of calls from drivers making sure I am OK. Still though, I feel as low as low gets today.
 carolann0308
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2011 9:03:18 AM
Broken heart? More like broken spirit. I think it is selfish to drag others into your heartache.
You need help and I think it is very selfish to attempt to 'fix' your problem by possibly ruining another mans life.
A college friend of my sister has lived with a terrible amount of guilt for years because a man in NY chose to walk in front of her car to fix his problem. He left a note and a wife and two children behind. All Katie got was the nightmare of having to talk to police officers, insurance agents and having to see his face right before he died.
 minpinz
Msg: 381
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:05:43 AM

One word. - Selfish.

While you think people who commit suicide are being selfish, you need to consider that a person has every right to end their own life if they choose to do so. Does it hurt others? Yes, but some people deal with feelings and emotions that can't be cured with medications or therapy. Some people just can't handle stress like others, that's why we're all made different. What one person can cope with and recover from might be something that another person sees as too painful. Is suicide really selfish if the person is suffering? Don't you think it's more selfish of someone to keep that person from what they want? Yes suicide causes a lot of heartache, but the person dealing with situations they're just not strong enough to handle. Some people are stronger than others thats just how it is. Strong people view suicide as "weak" because they're strong enough to fight the thoughts of it. Every single person has had a moment where they wish they would die. Death is an escape, the worst way out, but it is an escape. I don't support suicide nor encourage it, but I believe that if someone wants to commit it, they have that right to.

agree to disagree I really don't care.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 383
Posted: 11/25/2011 9:56:15 AM
While you think people who commit suicide are being selfish, you need to consider that a person has every right to end their own life if they choose to do so. Does it hurt others? Yes, but some people deal with feelings and emotions that can't be cured with medications or therapy. Some people just can't handle stress like others, that's why we're all made different. What one person can cope with and recover from might be something that another person sees as too painful. Is suicide really selfish if the person is suffering? Don't you think it's more selfish of someone to keep that person from what they want? Yes suicide causes a lot of heartache, but the person dealing with situations they're just not strong enough to handle. Some people are stronger than others thats just how it is. Strong people view suicide as "weak" because they're strong enough to fight the thoughts of it. Every single person has had a moment where they wish they would die. Death is an escape, the worst way out, but it is an escape. I don't support suicide nor encourage it, but I believe that if someone wants to commit it, they have that right to.

agree to disagree I really don't care.

Exactly!!

My son shot himself a month ago over a girl.....I promise you, this is not an answer...never and answer....all you do is leave behind broken family and friends who will never be the same, never understand, and never be able to fill the hole in their lives where you were....when you choose this road, you can never change your mind, never know that the sun comes up tomorrow---and something better is around that road......as a mother I am devastated....and I would beg anyone thinking of this, please please please reach out to someone!!!! Please................

So sorry for your loss. I hope you find a way to peace in your heart and one day understand the why's of you son's decision. After I lost my son, I had to "surrender" to his reality rather than my own. I personally feel differently than you do ~ as my son had sought help and it simply wasn't in him to continue. (And again, my son's autopsy landed him in the "accidental" death category, but he'd attempted suicide three times in the two months prior to his death. Was it suicide? I don't know. If it wasn't? It was a sympathetic end to a suffrage I can't understand ~ but witnessed.) I had to learn to live without him, but there was a "peace" in knowing that he was no longer in wretched/wicked pain in his heart/mind/soul/body. I think for me? Putting myself out there for other Moms is what made it livable. If you can, get to therapy and support groups. Best wishes.
 MaskedNobleman
Msg: 384
Posted: 11/25/2011 1:05:53 PM
I use misery to drive me.

I do not use misery to define me.
 Railrunner
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 7:01:28 PM
@MaskedNobleman:

After regrouping somewhat after last weekend, I am starting to think more in that direction. That was very well said.

I run my own business. I don't get a paycheck every two weeks for any specific hourly amount. After talking to some good friends this week, the going idea is to channel all negative, sad, depressed, what-have-you energy, and use it to build my computer business larger than it is.

While money does not directly make anyone truly happy, it can be used to buy the tools to make someone feel better, or closer to happy. For example, the money made from sales can buy a bunch of vintage model trains. Restoring said old trains does make me happy, seeing a locomotive run for the first time in maybe half a century or more. The feeling of saving and preserving these trains for future generations to someday enjoy (I have it planned for my trains to go to a railroad museum when my time comes), that feeling is priceless, no matter how much anyone else may not understand it.
 rfireguy
Msg: 386
Posted: 4/24/2012 7:30:27 PM
I broke up with a woman 3 years ago and I am very very heart broken. I cry every day and wish I wouldn't wake up sometimes.
 rfireguy
Msg: 387
Posted: 4/24/2012 7:32:33 PM
Who are you to call anyone a pansy
 RrEosDe
Msg: 388
Posted: 8/29/2012 12:22:04 AM
I haven't read all the comments. I just saw the title and wanted to reply. No one commits suicide over a broken heart. People who commit suicide have thousands of unresolved issues. The broken heart may be the last ... or the one that broke the camel's back, but certainly not the only issue. And what do I think of that person? I think I would have loved to have the opportunity to talk to them ... to beg them to get some help.
To tell them that this wasn't going to last. Tomorrow is a new day. Suicide over a broken heart ... hardly.
 DragonBits
Msg: 389
Posted: 8/29/2012 9:20:27 AM
I know two people who committed suicide.

One totally ruined his life over a sexual perversion, likely he was looking at prison time and even without that would never be able to get another good job. He used exhaust gas in a car.

One was married with a good life, she was going on a vacation with her husband / children, stepped in front of a train. No good reason for this, but she has chemical problems in the brain / mental disturbances and these can't be understood by those that have never had them.

I think suicide is a valid option if you have a terminal disease that is going to end your life in a painful way and only bring misery to those around you. An example of this would be Tony Scott.

I know of another that went to prison, he got out and is now happily married with children. A friend of my mother suffers from manic depressive disorder and takes lithium, which is a serious drug to take as there are side effects. But she leads a happy life.

Doing anything like suicide only over a broken heart is just foolish, and you have to be young to even contemplate thinking this way. It always gets better.
 Indysweetpea2001_
Msg: 390
Posted: 8/29/2012 7:37:51 PM
My best friend from the time I was 9 years old has a younger brother who tried to commit suicide at the age of 18 by shooting himself in the back of the head. However, he did not die. He is now paralyzed in a nursing home and will never have the life he should have had because of what seemed to be the end of the world at the time. It is so sad to see what is temporary situation take a great life from you.
 Railrunner
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 8:56:29 PM

One was married with a good life, she was going on a vacation with her husband / children, stepped in front of a train. No good reason for this, but she has chemical problems in the brain / mental disturbances and these can't be understood by those that have never had them.

For anyone thinking being hit by a train is a possible out, if it is any kind of deterrent, think of your survivors: They will very likely receive a letter from the railroad's lawyers. It will not be a letter of condolence, but rather a hefty bill. As per law, the engineer of the train that hits a person, is put out of service, drug tested and sent to counsling. Plus cleanup costs of the locomotive and track, not to mention any equipment repairs or track repairs (when a train's air brakes are thrown over into emergency, depending on brake pressure, as passenger and freight equipment use different systems, it can cause structural damage to car wheels and the rails), and also any costs associated with train delays, particularly time sensitive freight. Your survivors can receive a bill in the six to seven figures quite easily. Plus, stepping onto the track is also considered trespassing at this point.

I used to operate locomotives for a railroad museum; Every time I powered up a unit, this always crossed my mind, that if a suicidial individual were to want to be hit by a train, an operating museum would be the easiest place to do it. Running a 100 ton diesel with limited forward and left-side visibility could be a nerve wracking experience. There are enginemen that end up becoming clinically insane or depressed after such an accident, and sometimes end up taking their own life!

Was actually kind of glad to see this thread come up. Been a pretty rough past couple weeks. Not rough enough to make me think of taking my own life, but seeing what others go through, and thinking back to what it was like operating trains, and knowing the aftermath when someone uses them as a vehicle of suicide, put things in perspective. I just hope somone reads about what happens when they end it by rail, and maybe re-think and seek help.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 392
Posted: 9/5/2012 2:45:03 AM

To do something like that is freaking stupid!

I think it depends on the situation.

I know someone who totaled his car while speeding, and smashed into a light pole, instantly killing his girlfriend. He was the only survivor. I'm told I'm an extremely strong person, but even I would be unsure if I could live with that kind of guilt on my conscience.

It takes more than strength to overcome something like that.

I also know someone who lost a partner in another deadly accident, and went into a suicidal phase for several years. It's tough to comfort someone, when you understand why they're feeling that way.

I think being dumped however, and wanting to kill yourself is likely what you were eluding to.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:25:07 AM
It's great that we actually have choice.Sometimes the pain is so great that The sun doesn't come up anymore
and you have to realize that it is your best option.When you get to my age and you've invested so much time and effort to try and turn your life around.Then all that time seems like it's about to be redeemed and your told that you are not even worth the effort to talk to.That's after two dates,two dates so It is really nice to have available as a pain killer.
Just don't take anyone else out with you .Trust me you are'nt going to miss anything and no one is going to miss you
God Bless yo0u all.
 BaTkins408
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2017 7:07:16 PM
Well...I think that when your screaming your lost loves name and no one hears it seems such a long road to come back from the void
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2017 12:31:45 PM
for most people ...we deal with a break up in our own way
maybe go out with friends
maybe sit home eat a pint of ice cream
maybe find someone new
maybe take some time to try and figure out what went wrong
and after a period of time...we bounce back again
most of us do this
but then there are some for whatever reasons...cannot seem to bounce back
but stay down and depressed
I hope that if anyone finds themself in this position you would reach out for help
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > What do you think of a peron committing suicide over a broken heart??