Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > salvador dali      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eyes36
Msg: 101
view profile
History
salvador dali Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Few years back Dali's exbit came threw Philly
It was record breaking~
Wish I had gone more then once.But it was sold out days in advance.
For me veiwing at his early work,when he was younger in Spain ,
was really beatiful and inspiring.
It was the Western world that seemed to bring out the devil in him
 amore_vita
Msg: 102
Salvador DALI MUSEUM TURNS 25 THIS WEEKEND
Posted: 3/22/2007 2:33:03 PM
DALI MUSEUM TURNS 25 THIS WEEKEND

FREE OUTDOOR FESTIVAL --- COME JOIN THE SURREAL FUN!

Saturday, March 24
Fesitval hours: 11am - 8pm

FREE outdoor activities!
6 live bands: 11am - 8pm
Kids activities: 11am - 5pm

Great food & beverages by Gators Cafe
Beer and non-alcoholic beverages for sale all day.

Reduced gallery admission ---
Kids 12 and under free
Museum hours: 9:30am - 7pm

Present Sponsor:
Gators Cafe

2006-2007 Season Sponsor:
Progress Energy

Additional Sponsors:
St. Petersburg Times
City of St. Petersburg
Starbucks
EMIT

DALIFEST 25th ANNIVERSARY
Performer Schedule (11:00am - 8:00pm)

11:00 - Indo Flamenco Fusion: Nandkishor Muley & Fuego Flamenco
India meets Spain in this world fusion of Indian & Flamenco music led by Nandkishor Muley, the remarkable Grammy-award winning Maestro of the Santur (South Asian hammered dulcimer). Traveling from Germany for this event, Muley begins the performance accompanied by WMNF's Eluv on tambura. It continues with a performance by the fiery Sarasota Flamenco trio Fuego Flamenco (Tahja, Juan de la Sierra and Jeff Lloyd), concluding with an Indo Flamenco fusion involving all participants. A magical event not to be missed! (75 minutes)

12:45 - Rayzilla's PBS
Both whacked and sublime, a stew of world music, pop songs, and jazz fusion, all with a hint of insanity, from the mind of WMNF's Rayzilla. Performers include Jim Beckwith, Alfredo Rivero, Matt Cowley and Jeremy Powell. Rayzilla's set will feature his notorious Dalí homage, "I am Not Mad," and the eventual mega hit, "Bomb." (60 min)

2:15 - Infinite Groove Orchestra
Saxophonist Jeremy Powell leads this earthy quartet through "danceable grooves and diverse musical themes, featuring syncopated, beat-a-licious jams and mind-expanding improvisation." Weekly Planet. With influences from Miles Davis to Funkadelic to Fela Kuti, you know this will be hot. (45 min)
[Shim, originally scheduled for this time slot, is unable to attend]

3:30 - Sam Rivers Trio
Legendary Grammy-nominated jazz musician, Rivers has been a part of the history of jazz, working with musicians from Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, to avant-garde figures like Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton. He has since gone on to forge a personal vocabulary and leads one of the outstanding jazz trios in the world. This will be the righteous event of the season.
The Sam Rivers Trio performance is co-sponsored by the Emit Series of Adventurous Music. (60 min)

5:00 - Gravy (w/ Ronnie Dee)
Intense powerhouse funk horn band featuring one of the hardest grooves found anywhere in the Tampa Bay area, brought to you by local impresario Ronnie Dee. (60 min.)

6:30 - Bogus Pomp
World-renowned Frank Zappa repertoire band formed in 1994 by Jerry Outlaw and Rick Olson. Musicians include an unlikely combination of educators, symphony players, jazzers, and rockers, all with a common interest in Zappa's music. After 12 years, they are the tightest band around, and they blew people's minds at the 2006 Zappanale Festival in Germany. Come and have your mind blown as well! (90 min.)

The Salvador Dali Museum
1000 3rd Street South Saint Petersburg, Florida 33701
[voice] 727.823.3767 - [fax] 727.894.6068
www.salvadordalimuseum.org
 amore_vita
Msg: 103
Two New Shows At The Dali Museum St Pertersburg Florida
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:21:34 AM
Dali in Focus
Through January 2008
Morse Galleries

Encounter Dalí in depth through a selection of paintings from the Museum's permanent collection displayed with a focus on the hidden details. The exhibit will showcase various periods from his early 1900s to 1980s and seven works will receive a closer examination for Dalí's particular blend of personal interpretation. Assisted by dynamic visual aids and illustrated panels, the paintings will be interpreted section-by-section to analyze the dreams, desires and memories that inspired the work. Curated by Joan Kropf, Curator of the Collection.

June 22 – September 23, 2007

Traces Gallery

St. Petersburg has been home of the most comprehensive collection of Salvador Dalí’s works in America for 25 years. One may wonder, how did this revered collection come to be? This cultural treasure is the result of A. Reynolds and Eleanor R. Morse’s 45 year friendship with Salvador and Gala Dalí starting with their first acquisition, Daddy Longlegs of the Evening…..Hope! A meticulous archive from the Morses' research, anecdotes, travel logs, photographs and receipts of purchase has allowed us to uncover our paintings' unique provenance histories, from the hands of the artist to their current home in our Museum. Curated by Elen Woods, Assistant Curator.

to be seen in the show :::
Dalí in Focus – July 2007 through January 2008

Gallery 1

**Enchanted Beach with Three Fluid Graces, oil on canvas, 1938

**IN FOCUS selection

Gallery 2

View of Cadaqués with Shadow of Mt. Paní, oil on canvas, 1917

Punta es Baluard from Riba d’En Pitchot, Cadaqués, oil on linen canvas, 1918-19

Playa Port Alguer from Riba d’en Pitchot, oil on canvas, 1918-19

View of Portdogué (Port Alguer), Cadaqués, oil on canvas, circa 1918-19

La Sardana de las Brujas, watercolor on paper, ca. 1920

View of Cadaqués from Playa Poal, oil on canvas, 1920

Still Life (Pulpo y Scorpa), oil on canvas, 1922

Study of a Nude, oil on canvas, 1925

Female Nude, pencil on paper, 1926

**Cadaqués, oil on canvas, 1923

**IN FOCUS selection

Girl with Curls, oil on panel, 1926

Girl’s Back, oil on panel, 1926

Ocell . . .Peix (Bird . . Fish), oil on panel with collage – sand, pebbles, 1928

Anthropomorphic Beach (fragment), painted cork, sponge, and wood, 1928

The Bather, oil on panel with collage - sand, pebbles, shells and shell fragments, coral, 1928

The Bather, ink on paper, 1927

Gallery 3

Profanation of the Host, oil on canvas, 1929-30

El Gran Masturbateur, pastel on paper, 1930

Au Bord de la Mer, oil on canvas, 1931

Oeufs sur le Plat sans le Plat, oil on canvas, 1932

First Portrait of Gala (Hunter loan)

Catalan Bread, oil on canvas, 1932

Untitled (Persistence of Fair Weather), oil on canvas, 1932-34

Sugar Sphinx, oil on canvas, 1933

The Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition, oil on panel, 1934

Studies for ‘Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition’, ‘Autumn Cannibalism’, and ‘The Grasshopper Child’, pencil on paper, 1932

Study for the night table in ‘Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition’, pencil on paper, 1932

L’Arc Hysterique (The Hysterical Arch), ink on paper, 1937

Telephone in a Dish with Three Grilled Sardines at the End of September, oil on canvas, 1939

Skull with Its Lyric Appendage Leaning on a Night Table Which Should Have the exact Temperature of a Cardinal Bird’s Nest, oil on panel, 1934

Atmospheric Skull Sodomizing a Grand Piano, oil on panel, 1934

(?)Lobster Telephone

Homage to the ‘Angelus’ of Millet, ink on paper, 1934

Meditation on the Harp, oil on canvas, 1933-34

Two Gypsy Lads, gouache on cardboard, 1920

**Portrait of My Dead Brother, oil on canvas, 1963

**IN FOCUS selection

Fantasies Diurnes, oil on canvas, 1932

Gallery 4

(2)The Ship (conversion of a print by Montague Dawson), watercolor on print, 1942

(2)The Sheep (conversion of a print by Schenk), watercolor on print, 1942

Femme-Cheval, ink on paper, 1933

Surrealist Figure in Landscape of Port Lligat, ink on paper, 1933

Study for ‘Disappearing Images’, charcoal on paper, 1939

**Slave Market with the Disappearing Bust of Voltaire, oil on canvas, 1940

**IN FOCUS selection

Disappearing Bust of Voltaire, oil on canvas, 1941

Decalcomania, gouache on black paper, 1936

Decalcomania – Bibelot-Bibelot Titre aux Choix, gouache on black paper, 1936

Old Age, Adolescence, Infancy (The Three Ages), oil on canvas, 1940

Study for The Three Ages, pencil on paper, 1940

Study for The Three Ages, pencil on paper, 1940

Gallery 5

Illustration for ‘Tres Picos’, watercolor and ink conversion of print, 1955

The Madonna of the Birds, watercolor on paper, 1943

Fountain of Milk Spreading Itself Uselessly on Three Shoes, oil on canvas, 1945

Ascent into the Sky, wash on paper, 1950

Allegorical Saint and Angels in Adoration of The Holy Spirit, watercolor on paper, 1958

Cosmic Contemplation, watercolor and ink on paper, 1951

Two Disciples (Study for figures in ‘Sacrament of the Last Supper’), sanguine and wash on paper, 1955

The Basket of Bread, oil on panel, 1926

Morphological Echo, oil on panel, 1936

Compotier et Fruits (Study of compote in ‘Nature Morte Vivante’), pencil on paper, 1956

Coupe, Personnage, Tête, Études pour les Tableaux Nature Morte Vivante et Le Crâne de Zurburan, ink on paper, 1956

Eucharistic Still Life (Nature Morte Evangélique), oil on canvas,1952

Call of the Earth (Mohawk carpet design), gouache on paper, 1952

Call of the Sand (Mohawk carpet design), gouache on paper, 1952

Stone Shadows in the Afternoon, gouache on paper, 1952

**Nature Morte Vivante (Still Life – Fast Moving), oil on canvas, 1956

**IN FOCUS selection

Gallery 6

Iceberg sketch, ink and watercolor on paper, 1974

Nissan ad (Loan)

The Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory, oil on canvas, 1952-54

Soft Watch Exploding, ink on paper, 1954

Christ in Perspective, sanguine on paper, 1950

**Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln – Homage to Rothko (Second Version), oil in canvas, 1976

**IN FOCUS selection

Beatrice, oil on canvas, 1958-60

Saint Helena of Port Lligat, oil on canvas, 1956

The Angel of Port Lligat, oil on canvas, 1952

Landscape of Port Lligat, oil on canvas, 1950

Lower Gallery

The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus, oil on canvas, 1958-59

The Ecumenical Council, oil on canvas, 1960

Galacidalacidesoxyribunucleicacid (Homage to Crick and Watson), oil on canvas, 1963

**The Hallucinogenic Toreador, oil on canvas, 1969-70

**IN FOCUS selection

_____

The Fine Art of Collecting – Galleries 7 & 8

Portdogué, Cadaques

1918-1919

Oil on canvas

The Invisible Man

Oil on canvas

Myself at the Age of Ten When I Was the Grasshopper Child

Oil on panel

Archeological Reminiscence of Millet’s “Angelus”

1933-35

Oil on panel

The Ghost of Vermeer of Delft Which Can be Used as a Table

Oil on panel

Surrealist Poster

Oil on cardboard with key

Three Young Surrealist Women Holding in Their Arms the Skins of an Orchestra

Oil on canvas

Daddy Longlegs of the Evening-Hope!

Oil on canvas

Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Oil on canvas

Velázquez Painting the Infanta Marguerita with the Lights and Shadows of His Own Glory

Oil on canvas

Landscape of Figueres

Oil on postcard

Study for Portrait of the Vicomtesse de Noailles

Pencil on Paper
 Artz
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Two New Shows At The Dali Museum St Petersburg Florida
Posted: 6/29/2007 1:28:03 PM
bajajohn
Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. I have been to your museum and it really did give me a new understanding of just how great Dali was a technical painter and an innovator. my visit to your Music did change my views on Dali.
Pandy, You really should take up papajohns offer. I have an idea that your view of Dali has been tainted by all the fakes and frauds that are still floating around. The sad thing is that many people still have these pieces and still think they are worth a lot of money. Like You I have been in the Gallery bussiness for many years. I can't tell you how many times someone has come into the gallery offering to sell me an original Dali print. They are under some impression that the print they bought for $1500.00 is now worth $25,000.00 or more. It is really sad.
I Happen to love original Lithographs and etchings. Like you I encourage people to buy work of living breathing artist. Many local and regional artist are producing excellent work. You can often find good work for a few hundred.
 A Cinnamon Girl
Msg: 105
Two New Shows At The Dali Museum St Petersburg Florida
Posted: 7/2/2007 10:06:52 AM
Salvidor Dali....haven't thought about him for awhile. There is so much great art out there and so many artists that launched a million ideas. Dali definetely moved mountains. There were a series of photographs of him with a crooked cane and of course his trade mark moustache. His eccentric personality was captured perfectly. I rememeber those most and of course his melting clocks. Yes he was a genius.
 amore_vita
Msg: 106
Dali & Film upcomming to LACMA -- Los Angeles
Posted: 7/3/2007 4:15:05 AM
Dalí & Film

October 14–January 6 | Art of the Americas Building*

Throughout his life and career, renowned surrealist Salvador Dalí maintained a deep connection with film as an artistic medium. He collaborated with movie greats such as Luis Buñuel, Alfred Hitchcock, and Walt Disney, and created works influenced by Cecil B. De Mille and the Marx Brothers. Dalí & Film, coming to Los Angeles, the epicenter of film, aims to illustrate the cinematic influences and elements that are present in Dalí's work as well as the contribution he made to cinema. The exhibition brings together a variety of key pieces from Dalí's oeuvre, incorporating painting, film, photography, sculpture, and texts. Dalí & Film is organized by the Tate Modern, London, in collaboration with the Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curators: Matthew Gale, Tate Modern, Dawn Ades and Fèlix Fanés, consultant curators. LACMA Curators: Ilene Fort, American Art, and Sara Cochran, Modern Art.

NOTE by BAJA
We have had collaborations with the "Tate Modern" as well as many shows curated by
Dawn Ades --- both are at the TOP of the ART world -- Having seen some of the paintings and images that will be shown this will be a GREAT event ,
one of the main pieces will be ::
Metamorphosis of Narcissus, 1937, Salvador Dalí (1904–1989),
oil on canvas, 511 x 781 cm., Tate Gallery, London,

Not sure if DESTINO the little film he collaborated with Disney with will be shown
if so ---- DO NOT MISS IT !
 Xsander
Msg: 107
view profile
History
any salvador dali fans
Posted: 7/3/2007 6:57:45 AM
Dali was a freak forsure. Him and Hunter S Thompson are my favorites....Crazy crazy!
 amore_vita
Msg: 108
Dali & Film in Florida until June 4
Posted: 3/23/2008 3:43:34 PM
Throughout his life and career, renowned surrealist Salvador Dalí maintained a deep connection with film as an artistic medium. He collaborated with movie greats such as Luis Buñuel, Alfred Hitchcock, and Walt Disney, and created works influenced by Cecil B. De Mille and the Marx Brothers. Dalí & Film, Now In St. Petersburg Florida , the epicenter of film, aims to illustrate the cinematic influences and elements that are present in Dalí's work as well as the contribution he made to cinema. The exhibition brings together a variety of key pieces from Dalí's oeuvre, incorporating painting, film, photography, sculpture, and texts. Dalí & Film is organized by the Tate Modern, London, in collaboration with the Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curators: Matthew Gale, Tate Modern, Dawn Ades and Fèlix Fanés, consultant curators.
******************************************************************************************
Although this show is impossible for a Docent to do justice to with a large crowd
it is an incredible show for sure ,,,
The collaborations with Disney (Destino) and Hitchcock (Spellbound) are remarkable -
in total seven films are played at the same time throughout the galleries including
the Andalusian Dog and Golden Age both very early works with Luis Buñuel....
The Persistance of Memory 1931 (MOMA) is also on display -
Only the second time since 1935 it has been out of New York --
In all do not miss this show and related events --- Show ends early JUNE
 fouthempire
Msg: 109
salvador dali
Posted: 3/23/2008 7:13:01 PM
I always admired that Dali immortalized Gala though his paintings.
 betterlate
Msg: 110
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 3/27/2008 2:09:49 AM
Love his weirdness and originality. I love his mustache too, he was a great artist...
 curious2no
Msg: 111
view profile
History
any salvador dali fans
Posted: 3/29/2008 3:22:27 PM
For you Dali fans, you might be surprised to know that in London, at the train station there are Dali sculptures peppered about. such an awesome treat to turn around and see an elephant with giraffes legs, or a woman with a head of cabbage. and you can look at them for free!

London is my favorite city in the world.
 Zeppolino
Msg: 112
any salvador dali fans
Posted: 3/30/2008 1:16:56 PM
Dali was a true genius. Noone in this country should miss the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. You will have the opportunity to examine his very tentavive, derivative first paintings, through his small masterpieces (you won't believe how small "The Persistence of Memory" is), to his gigantic history paintings, and finally his last perplexing work that hints at the fourth dimension. Technically, his handly of paint is exquisite. He called himself "the last of the Old Masters", and you know, he just might be right.
 seattlerain11
Msg: 113
salvador dali
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:19:11 PM
I went on a pilgrimage all the way to Paris... just to see the Dali Museum.

In a turn of events befitting the maestro, I didn't get a chance to GET there until my last two days in Paris. . . and the Museum was closed for repairs. Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh! I love Dali.

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth, Wedge of Blue Cheese on the horn of a bull.
 purple_passions
Msg: 114
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 3/31/2008 11:27:06 PM
I totally agree. I LOVE Salvador Dali's art!
 cateye
Msg: 115
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 4/1/2008 2:51:18 AM
I agree with most of you on this thread Dali was a genius. I have always admired his art and he has inspired me as an artist. I also do some surrealism and often hide weird images in my paintings.

Thank you Baja John, I have really enjoyed your comments. It is so nice to hear from an art expert.

I have heard that Dali hated his sister. Is that a reference perhaps to his father marrying his wife's sister which would make her a sort of step sister? I know he made some sexually explict inuendos in his work.
 amore_vita
Msg: 116
salvador dali
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:48:39 PM
Actually --- Dali loved his sister Ana Maria -
she was 4 years younger than Salvador and was the main model
in his paintings before he met Gala (1929)
Ana Maria payed a significant and positive role in his life and works through 1927-28...........

The problem was ::: Dali attended the San Fernando Academy of Arts in Madrid --
his dorm mates were Louis Bunnel and Federico Garcia Lorca ..
Lorca was indeed Gay and loved Dali ---
Ana Maria loved Lorca,,,
and although they were all friends -- The triangle never to be was broken,
Ana Maria was ruined by the rejection of her advances to Lorca-
She blamed her brother -- as Lorca was truely in love with him and not her......
she never really forgave her brother for the loss of the love of her life ,,,,
Lorca died at the hands of Franco in 1936 ,,,,,, Ana Maria never married -------

Yes,,,,,,,,,,,
The Father ,,, elder Salvador Dali did indeed marry sister of the wife after she died-
Dali and Ana Maria lost their mother at a relatively young age... they were about 16 & 12 at
the time of her death ---

The Aunte' marries the elder Dali in short order and becomes in fact the EVIL STEP MOTHER.

Dali did have many phobias , and was consumed by many myths ,legends , paintings & authors
 Thatguy67
Msg: 117
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 3/3/2009 5:15:38 PM
I was recently in Toronto and visited the Art Gallery of Ontario. They had on display a chess set done by Salvador Dali. The pieces were modelled after his fingers or his wife's digits. The rooks were modelled after salt shakers. Really weird and cool to look at.
 pinkpunkprincess
Msg: 118
salvador dali
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:41:04 PM
While Dali is entertaining in a limited kind of scope, he's SO cliche. towards the end of his career, other artists would simply bring him their works, and he would sign his name to them! Don't get me wrong, I like "Persistence of Memory" as much as anyone else, but there are surrealist who are far better artists.
 foreverdelayed
Msg: 119
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:38:49 PM

While Dali is entertaining in a limited kind of scope, he's SO cliche. towards the end of his career, other artists would simply bring him their works, and he would sign his name to them! Don't get me wrong, I like "Persistence of Memory" as much as anyone else, but there are surrealist who are far better artists.

In what ways is he cliche? I think you really have to flash back to the period he was active in, the things he was doing weren't cliched then, even if they have become since then.

As far as the signing thing, where did you hear that? I know that he would sign blank sheets of paper, but I was under the impression they were then used to make reproductions of his own work, not the work of others. I haven't heard of anything else besides that.

As far as better surrealists, who do you like? I'm a big fan of Yves Tanguy myself. I can't say there were too many out there that were better than Dali, I think while the surrealists were all very different in style, he summed up the heart of the movement quite nicely.
 dolcesempre
Msg: 120
salvador dali
Posted: 4/3/2009 11:45:37 AM
I love Dali. He is totally awesome.
 parklabrea
Msg: 121
view profile
History
salvador dali
Posted: 4/5/2009 8:28:17 AM
What I find amazing is how many great creators were directly influenced by Dali and have acknowledged so:
Dr. Seuss
Norman Rockwell
Bo Diddley
Albert Feinstein
The 1992 Chicago Bulls
George Bush (2nd term only)
etc.

And there are rumors that "Swans reflecting Elephants" was a direct influence on Seth Rogan's, "middle period." I know I think of him every time I make eggs, sunny side up. I imagine an image of Dali in the yolk of the egg, arms crossed, with his pants on backwards. And I sense his approval of the random shape of the egg and the liberal addition of pepper, which changes the interplay of light and darkness. If only he were here to glue bacon bits to the fridge and cat...ah, we must carry on as best as we can.
 peckhamboy
Msg: 122
any salvador dali fans
Posted: 11/5/2012 3:39:52 PM
So ducking what,,,,,, the.guy is shit,,,
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 123
salvador dali
Posted: 11/13/2012 7:49:43 PM
I love this brilliant man!!! I just recently bought the Salvador Dali 2v books! 2 encyclopaedia's with tons of his work, probably most for that matter! Also, I recently read the book, which will soon (Hopefully) be a movie with Al Pacino, called Dali and I. What a great book that was! Have anyone checked these out? What do you guys think?

p.s. sorry if this has already been discussed ;)
 stilldontknow2
Msg: 124
salvador dali
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:36:02 AM
If you're ever in Glasgow then pop along to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum to see the Christ of St John. Very powerful when seen in the flesh.
 allthingsrosie
Msg: 125
any salvador dali fans
Posted: 1/24/2013 12:25:23 AM
he also designed the chucka pops logo.dont know how i know that .not his finest moment obviosly.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > salvador dali