Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CountIbli
Msg: 6
The great floodPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
In fact the ruins of Atlantis are located off the coast of Florida.
 sammysalt
Msg: 10
The great flood
Posted: 12/12/2005 2:39:26 PM
I thought years ago they said it was found on a mountain some place. Who really knows. With God all things can happen. (((He don't need to prove his self.))) If you must prove it, it wont be proven, because that isn't what he wanted.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The great flood
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:12:49 AM
I've always seen many of those stories in the Bible as being analogies, and not specific facts.

My belief is that all of the main prophets were just men who saw an essential truth, and then coloured it with cultural filters - thus making different religions. If God was to be glimpsed by someone today, as opposed to someone two thousand years ago, the description and explanation would be different.

If you look at the story of the great flood, that seems apparent.

Here is a God that commits genocide, except for a choosen few. He wipes out every single living thing on Earth, outside of those on the ark. Noah and his family survive, the ultimate case of getting in good with the boss.

Just ask yourself how two of every animal could have been collected ? How long would that have taken, even if possible ? How much room would have been needed ? If memory serves me correctly, the trip lasted six months.

How could food have been collected and stored for all on board the ark ? What about the waste products ? Were insects also counted ? Did all these creatures not reproduce for six months ?

Did they float along through millions of dead and rotting corpses, of every other one of God's creatures ?

After being covered with water for six months , the Earth is suddenly ready to permit life to be lived as before ? Did all the grasses and plants magically survive ?

If you start to examine those issues, in a purely logical manner, you have to realize that the story is perhaps not a factual one. Many religions and peoples have such a story, and it perhaps relates to a localized flood. That memory is passed on to the survivors, and winds up included in our mythology.

Just imagine if you had lived in the area of the tsunami recently, but without any knowledge of the rest of the world. From your perspective, the world would have ended. The planet would have been flooded. That type of event, if you survived it, would suddenly be something that would be passed on to future generations.

The facts would be invariably altered, given a long enough period of time. Just the passing on of the story in the verbal tradition would account for some distortion.

If you take the story of the Flood in that context, it in no way lessons the message being made.
 drop dead average
Msg: 16
The great flood
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:39:24 AM
I can't believe that in the age of science and reason, people actually still believe in the great flood. It's like believing in the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.
 get_over_it
Msg: 17
The great flood
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:54:43 AM
yeah, most people aren't that educated about history. They do assume it was the entire planet, but it was only that small area.

Otherwise instead of Adam & Eve we'd all be seeing Noah's family as the first humans. And it is illogical to think that "then" unknown creatures from North and South America and Antartica somehow got to the Middle East without any transport in record time.

People don't think about that stuff.

BTW DROP - I agree with you.
 bolotye
Msg: 18
The great flood
Posted: 9/30/2006 7:20:07 AM
It depends on who is doing the documentary.

Ive seen documentaries that state the great flood did indeed happen, and a few that said its impossible. Depends on the person who is giving said documentary. People could go back n forth with this one till eternity.

as far as the ark being made out of pitch and wood and not being able to float, God shut the door of that ark. He sealed them all inside. Tada...if He did that, you can bet he made sure it was floatable.

The animals on the ark. You, me and the guy down the street really have no idea how many animals were all in the ark. What matters is God said take such and such animals, Noah did.

Again, if God sealed the door to the ark and was powerful enough to keep it afloat, then all the animals that were supposed to be on there, were. They all fit because he made sure they fit.

We sometimes get ourselves so worked up over the math part of things and the things we can grasp as humans, that we forget God is all powerful. Dont try to overanalyze and take apart what you are not supposed to fully understand in the first place. This is where your faith comes in . Either you read the bible for what it is and apply it, or you read it and spend your time constantly trying to pick it apart and missing the message altogether.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 28
The great flood
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:52:49 PM
And this would explain what happened to the dinosaurs:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hIx4ZZXvCV8/TlAqNbTfacI/AAAAAAAAALA/lvI3zeual34/s1600/Noahs+Ark+-+no+more+dinosaurs.jpg
 JP1111
Msg: 29
The great flood
Posted: 9/7/2011 9:59:28 PM
My opinion is quite simple as, I don't believe ANYTHING that's in the Bible since, there is no PROOF anywhere to demonstrate ir being true and real.

But that's just me
 Tah,
Msg: 30
The great flood
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:30:04 AM
I think the flood and the storm came on the people of prophet Nooh alone. I think it was area specific.

You would be right. When the bible was written they didn't know about australia or the america continent. thus the specie of human inhabiting were not reffered to.
The flood spoken about was one over persia.back then that was the whole world to the those people
if you look at the scale of flooding queensland recently had, it was a massive massive area. probably as big as the world that existed to those who wrote bible back in the day.

After all over 1 thousand years later they still thought the world flat.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >