Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JordanMardan
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Actor Says Black History Month No GoodPage 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Here's an article illustrating how the media reports stories about crime and it's affect on how people think.

Crime Has No Culture or Race
by Susan Riley
The Ottawa Citizen

If racism was always stark, violent and overt, it would be easy to recognize and easier to deal with. But unfortunately, racism can be mild and unremarkable, part of the daily texture of our lives.

Over the holiday, for example, three men were stabbed in a late-night brawl in the Saigon Capital restaurant on Somerset Street. The restaurant is Vietnamese: those involved in the fracas were of Asian origin.

Does this make it "Asian crime" as headlines in our newspaper and elsewhere suggested? Does the fact that some extortion was involved make the crime particularly Asian? And what Asians? Vietnamese? Chinese? Indonesian?

Or was it merely crime? Is any attempt to define it further careless prejudice or is it a vital aspect of competent police work? Last fall, when Ottawa high school students were involved in a drunken encounter with Hull police, no one talked about "white crime."

To be fair, a story in the Citizen concluded that there is no crime wave within Ottawa's Asian community. It also documented real concerns in Asian communities in Toronto and Vancouver, where thugs and drug-peddlers prey on their own kind and the larger society.

But this still isn't Asian crime. It is crime within the Asian community. The distinction is critical.

The Citizen story also quoted a Vietnamese-born lawyer, Nhung Thuy Hoang, who defends Asian-Canadians accused of various crimes. The most common charges according to her? Theft and wife assault.

These don't sound like Asian crimes: on the contrary, they are common to almost every culture. Imagine the uproar if we started referring to wife abuse as "male crime".

For all that, the Asian community does pose a special challenge to police forces, not because Asians are more mendacious by nature, but because their language and culture is so foreign.

In Vancouver and Toronto, police have had special Asian investigative units since the `70s. Newspapers occasionally feature lurid accounts of their struggles with "Asian youth gangs" that operate protection rackets, smuggle drugs and manage prostitutes.

(Again the language is loaded. If a group of Asian boys wearing leather, chains and aggressive attitude shoves you of the sidewalk, is it an Asian youth gang or just a bunch of punks?)

Ottawa, too, has an Asian unit, formed in 1987, the only squad devoted to one ethnic community. Its professed aim is to assist, rather than target, Asian-Canadians.

Nhung Thuy Hoang applauds this approach, noting that "a lot of police are not very familiar with our culture."

She recalls one client, a Vietnamese woman, who was charged when she burned dry leaves in a city park ? a common practice in her native country. Other Vietnamese are charged with abandonment when they let their children wander at large, as they used to in refugee camps.

Still others are mortified when their custom of showing children physical affection is interpreted by non-Asian neighbors as child abuse.

There is, says the lawyer, no need for protection from youth gangs within Ottawa's Asian community. But there is need for educated, sensitive policing.

What she is talking about, of course, is the other side of racism: a **respectful recognition of difference**. Only when we ? the police and society at large ? achieve that will "Asian crime" disappear. (JL's emphasis)

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Actor Says Black History Month No Good
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:50:51 PM
Notice the categories "forcible rape, sex offenses, and offenses against families and children."
Earnest and his talk radio sources are wrong.

SO what role does the media play in leading most whites and other non-Black groups to believe that Blacks commit the most crime?

Well, it depends on which crimes are highlighted, and which of the classifications of crime below are used in generating a list of "violent crime."

"Offenses against family and children" is rarely, if ever, included in the media's definition of what constitutes "violent crime."

Blacks lead in murder and robbery cases, and whites lead in aggravated assault and offenses against family and children...but as noted above, "offenses against family and children are **hidden***... and that's because of what reason?

Whites control 1) what crimes are included in the violent crime category, 2) control what crimes in this society are illuminated in the media, and 3) control moch of the research and publications on crime read by the public, whether journal articles, newspapers, TV, radio, etc.

I have deleted the stats for Latinos, Asians, and Indigenous People or Indians.
John L.

Crimes by Race by Race, 2002
Percent distribution
Offense charged White Black
Total 71.5% 25.7%
Murder 45.9 50.1
Forcible rape 62.0 36.0
Robbery 38.6 58.9
Aggravated assault 60.8 36.7
Burglary 72.4 25.2
Larceny-theft 70.1 26.5
Motor vehicle theft 58.3 38.3
Arson 80.7 17.6
Other assaults 62.9 34.2
Forgery and counterfeiting 78.1 19.5
Fraud 66.1 32.0
Embezzlement 69.3 28.5
Stolen property—buying, receiving, possessing 56.5 41.4
Vandalism 81.0 16.6
Weapons possession 67.1 30.7
Prostitution 43.8 54.6
Sex offenses, except forcible rape and prostitution 72.1% 26.0%
Drug abuse violation 73.2 24.9
Gambling 11.4 85.7
Offenses against family and children 73.8 23.5
Driving under the influence 93.3 4.1
Liquor laws 92.2 4.4
Drunkenness 90.0 7.4
Disorderly conduct 63.9 34.0
Vagrancy 75.6 22.8
All other offenses except traffic 74.9 22.3
Suspicion 69.7 28.2
Curfew and loitering law violations 68.6 28.8
Runaways 75.8 18.4

NOTE: For arrests 18 years and older. Total number of estimated arrests: 13.7 million.
1. Because of rounding, the percentages may not add up to total.
2. Includes nonnegligent manslaughter.
Source: Crime in the United States, 2002, FBI, Uniform Crime Reports.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:08:50 PM
adj4u writes: "seperate but equal did not work when it came to schools why would we think it would work when it comes to classes"

JL: "Separate but equal" was a government mandated condition designed to prevent People of Color (African-/Asian-/ and Latino-Americans and Indigenous Peoples) from receiving the same type of education that white students received.

Having a Black History Month, or Cinco de Mayo, or Asian American Week are not examples of "separate but equal"...for they were spawned to fight against and/or counter their racist exclusion from the history books.

Your thinking reminds me of those whites who recently wrote "Letters to the Editor" of the local paper asking "If Blacks are allowed to wear attire with X (Malcolm X) on them, why can't we wear clothing with the confederate flag on it?"

Well, the two examples are not the same. Malcolm X was fighting against racism and exclusion while the Confederate flag is a symbol of exclusion, hate, "racial" subordination and violence to uphold white supremacy.

There aren't any similarites of circumstances.
However, as I **already** wrote 2-3 days ago, the founder of Black History Month did not envision it as something that would last forever. His hope was that one day all peoples history would be included in the history books...but unfortunately...amerikkkan society is not at the point where Black History Month, Asian American Week, or Cinco de Mayo can be eliminated.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:28:08 PM
dil dil se wrote: "Other minorities have made tremendous strides in their country of choice...not to mention their country of origin such as mine being India and my new one being Britain.I know and Britain knows the achievements of my racial origin and they are tremendous but we don't ask for a HISTORY MONTH and I don't like being under an alien heading either.
I believe our achievments are so huge they can stand by themselves in every field-art,music,literture,history,culture,cookery etc

Black history should be promoted only if others are too."

JL: What incenses me about the words above is that "very few people of Asian Indian descent have actually participated in the civil rights movement."

African Americans and a small percentage of whites have been the primary "movers and shakers" of the Civil Rights Movement. Yet, all groups of color have benefited from their hard work, loss of life, and incarceration.

People like dil dil se think that "the Others" should do all the damn work and then they should receive fruits as well.
As far as I'm concerned, **in the context of WHOM** has struggled with white supremacy historically and today to overcome it, you don't even have the right to make such a comment.

The "minorities" you note in other countries have FREQUENTLY BORROWED from the strategies of the American Civil Rights Movement to fight against oppression in their home countries.
For example, India now has an affirmative action program.
Once it was implemented, many Brahmans began committing suicide in protest of the policy.

It is indeed interesting that dil dil se would dare to mention "minorities fighting against oppression in foreign countries," but when those foreign minorities arrive in amerikkka, whom do they align themselves with??!!
Right, with whites...in order to receive a few crumbs of white privilege.

As a community activist, I have rarely seen Asian Americans taking part in various protests and/or meetings to address oppression in America.

However, I do have some Asian American friends that are activists, but they represent a very, very small percentage of the Asiam American population.

Lastly, Blacks did not ask for a Black History Month...we simply started celebrating it.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:48:19 PM
sergeant rock: There were so many African Americans lynched, displaced, and horrified during the times of "jim crow”, that history can not even calculate the effect it has had on contemporary lives of African Americans today.

cotter: Why is this still affecting contemporary lives of "African Americans" today?

Through "indentured slavery" and the "war" against the Native Americans, my ancestors were displaced and mistreated, slaughtered rather than lynched, and forced to live on secluded reservations where the land could barely produce enough food to support them.

I think about it all the time, but the fact that it occurred ... still is occurring when you consider that the Native Americans are still not really treated like 1st class citizens of the United States even though they really are the only true "Americans" ... does not keep me from functioning in today's society, educating myself (poor as I was), following the rules (no matter how much I don't always agree), and providing for myself (even though I do not live in the lap of luxury).

John L: Yes, Cotter, your ancestors were treated that way, but once they were assimilated into the "melting pot" of whiteness (all european ethnics eventually become white in amerikkka after initially encountering discrimination), they became part of the majority group, able to access various jobs, geven the benefit of the doubt, etc, etc., etc.

The point you miss above in regards to the "continuing effects of the Jim Crow Era" is that the beliefs whites held then are still believed (wealthy old white males make the rules), and are the primary foundation when making many policies that result in "racial" disparities in education, economics, health care access/mortality rates, and so on.

For example, various studies illustrate that "doctors spend much less time in attempting to revive a Black heart attack patient than a white one."
Why? They believe a white life is more valuable.

Much of the pseudo-science that declared "Blacks are inferior" and thus should be given only 2nd class citizenship" was generated during the Jim Crow Era.
Hence, your focus should not be on Blacks, but on the effects stemming from the racist beliefs held by whites.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:04:20 PM
cotter writes: " Not to mention, even though not all of our ancestors were “slave owners”, we are treated as such during “black history” month."

JL: What a crock of sh*t!!!
Here's what history says:

Although most whites were not slave owners, many aspired to be slave owners. There was a policy where poor whites could "Rent A Slave for a Day."

Two, although cotton was raised in the South, it was the North's shipping industry that shipped the cotton to foreign countries. The cargo was insured by the North's insurance companies.

Thus, in order to have ships, you must have wood, steel, and lot of other products, and food to feed the crews. The plantions supported and were supported in turn by a host of businesses...all of which employed who?! White people.

So your argument, which is often trumpted by other whites, holds no water...because many, many, many businesses employed white people that both directly and/or indirectly supported or was supported by slavery.

Your argument treats slavery as if the plantation owners and their plantations were islands, unaffected by or not having any impact upon the society around them. That's not true.

In the PBS video series "Africans in America," it was estimated that slavery pumped $25 billion into the American economy in 1843."

How much is that in today's dollars? Right, in the trillions...and most whites, in one form or another, benefited whether plantation owner or worker in the logging, steel, coal, etc., industries or other businesses that sold supplies to the plantations.

John L.
 Packandhunt_29
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:24 AM
I totally agree with you.....
 Javan2
Msg: 78
Wow !!! ; CGCRY: Human History, " I like it !!! "
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:45:18 PM
Human History works for me.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/16/2006 3:30:20 PM

I for one am glad to see Black leaders taking a more logical approach to issues.
In the context of the OP's reference to statement by Morgan Freeman:"I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history." and Bill Cosby,this quoted statement by the OP shows the ignorance of many who fail to recognize their disconnect from informantion on "Black leaders" and obvious bias. In fact what the quoted statement seems to suggest is that a more "logical approach to issues" is a rather well publicized view that agrees with the OP. What also seems obvious is that many like the OP far too often take sound bites and formulate opinions about groups based upon them.
Now, how many consider Robert Deniro to be a white leader? Donald Sutherland?
What Freeman went on to say is that he doesn't agree with the idea or use of "race"."I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Now, IF the OP agrees,he has found himself to be contradictory in that his post is based upon and full of labels of "race".

BTW,Morgan Freeman is incorrect in the statement that "Black history is American history".Certainly Ethiopians for example are NOT American. Black History month is NOT simply about the history of African Americans. Its the history of all people of the African diaspora and was ONLY instituted because it wasn't taught in balance in World history nor American history classes to children in the USA. It was ridiculous that this was the fact and its ridiculous that this is not understood by many Americans. Its logical to educate.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:23 AM
Hey, World Citizen,acburbank good to see you guys are still stirring thoughts up on this current evernts forum. I just wanted to rejoin the fun for awhile.

Black History month is NOT simply about the history of African Americans. Its the history of all people of the African diaspora and was ONLY instituted because it wasn't taught in balance in World history nor American history classes to children in the USA.

I've found Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln ect. mentioned prominently in every American History textbook book I've ever read on every level.
I obviously can't speak about your daughters school acurbank, but I can say from having worked in the field of education for many years that part of the PROBLEM is that far too often a month is spent on MLK, Tubman, Fredrick Douglas, Booker T.ect. from grades 1-12 with just as many references to entertainers and its basically kept on THAT level. I have no issue with that as an introduction at the early primary level 1-3. My issue is that there is rarely enough elaboration BEYOND this to give proper PERSPECTIVE of the history of people of the African diaspora in the Americas.
A brief introduction to Badaria, Kemet(Eygpt),Kush, Axum, Punt, Carthage, Abbysinia, Sheba, Nok, ancient Lybia, ancientGhana, ancient Mali, Songhai ,Monomotapa, Benin ,Luba, Kuba, Asante, Ife, Oyo, Yourbaland, Akan is important to give perspective to the REALITY of what happened.
Another footnote of the Olmec civilization would bring some irony to the situation. WHY? Because far to often the US curriculum deals with slavery without giving background of those enslaved, yet the slave holders have been given background this lacks PERSPECTIVE. Doing this would give understanding as to why so many transplanted Africans revolted in the Americas from the time of the 1st slaver boats docking.
I find that many Americans young and old aren't aware of the many revolts ,a very select few are aware of the SUCCESSFUL revolts. I think many curriculums have begun to include mention of some of the explorers and pioneers of African descent in the Americas like Du Sable and Henson but not Estevanico, Ibn Battuta and Beckwourth ect. History is much more than processing names and deeds of individuals but of concepts and deeds of groups that explain our present and can help our future. I won't continue to go into the notation of individuals but I'll say on direct topic, the full story of York who was Clark's (of Lewis&Clark) valet/slave is analogously parallel to the reason for Black History month in the 1st place.

Once history is taught in balance of reality from a panoramic perspective(this includes the need for more depth and perspective in NativeAmerican history also) there will no longer be a need for Black History Month. I believe that day is comming but it is NOT here. It has certainly improved in the past 20yrs. There is still work to be done. In the meantime,Black History Month has and continues to serve a good purpose on the whole.

To further tie Freeman's remarks,I think during the quest for a panoramic view of history being taught,there should be more discussion on the topic,issue,history and reality of the concept of "race"....and not just for 1 month.

Again,history is to explore our past, to better explain our present which can help our future.
 HerpesSactoCal
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/22/2006 12:47:37 AM
Black History Month is racist. And condescending. So is naming a Martin Luther King (Jr.) Blvd. in the predominantly black part of most towns, or treating his holiday as a "black" holiday. What an insult to such a great American! I believe his goal was to allow all people to participate in the American Dream, regardless of color or creed. Talk about missing the point entirely! And affirmative action is institutional, State supported and mandated racism. We are the HUMAN race. And we SHARE this planet. Deal with it, shall we? Out! David
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/22/2006 12:14:04 PM

Black History Month is racist.
In what way? I'd say rather than it being "racist" its counter racist in that it corrects the omission of truth of people of the African diaspora from textbooks in the USA for so many years. If fact, before Black History Week was adopted,Africans and African Americans were ommited from history text outside of the context of slavery. The only Africans the American system of education would present information on they would claim were not really Africans(another lie of the racist educational system). American Aparthied later named "Jim Crow" was racist. Black History Month does nothing to descriminate,villify nor attempt to subjugate a group of people. Your Driver's Liscense is more racist than Black History Month.
Black History month is NOT simply about the history of African Americans. Its the history of all people of the African diaspora and was ONLY instituted because it wasn't taught in balance in World history nor American history classes to children in the USA.

Once American history is taught in balance of reality from a panoramic perspective(this includes the need for more depth and perspective in NativeAmerican history also) there will no longer be a need for Black History Month. I believe that day is comming but it is NOT here. It has certainly improved in the past 20yrs. There is still work to be done. In the meantime,Black History Month has and continues to serve a good purpose on the whole.

I'll say on direct topic, the full story of York who was Clark's (of Lewis&Clark) valet/slave is analogously parallel to the reason for Black History month in the 1st place.

And condescending. So is naming a Martin Luther King (Jr.) Blvd. in the predominantly black part of most towns
I agree, EVERY town that has a Washington Blvd should also have an MLK blvd and it should run throughout the city/town to celebrate "such a great American"

treating his holiday as a "black" holiday
YES I wasn't fully aware of those who treat it as a "black" holiday. Those who even THINK of it simply as that(it appears from the framing of your statement that you perhaps fall into that category) are certainly RACSIT. Columbus day should not be treated as a "white" holiday nor as an Italian holiday. It isn't in the eyes of most. However,since you have made the observation that MLK day is "treated as a "black" holiday" please describe HOW. From WHAT do you make this observation?

I believe his goal was to allow all people to participate in the American Dream, regardless of color or creed.
Yes, his goal was for HUMAN rights to FINALLY take hold in a country that had resisted this for hundreds of years. It seems some feel that because descriminatory laws have been lifted in the past 20-40yrs, that it means that the collective minds and psychology of a nation that instituted and enforced them would change in the majority simply due to this act. Healing a nation of its ignorance will take time. This is all the MORE reason to have a Black History Month.

Once American history is taught in balance of reality from a panoramic perspective(this includes the need for more depth and perspective in NativeAmerican history also) there will no longer be a need for Black History Month. I believe that day is comming but it is NOT here. It has certainly improved in the past 20yrs. There is still work to be done. In the meantime,Black History Month has and continues to serve a good purpose on the whole.Deal with it
 marita_b
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:07:47 PM
Is there a latino history month???????????

and,...why not???,...how about a salute to Native American month?

That was the reason there were objections regarding black history month,...
and it was suggested that the emphasis should be on the History part,...rather than the black history,...

I think there is no limit to the amount of awareness,..knowledge and understanding between all factors that define us as groups,....that we could bennefit from,....as a whole,...
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:45 PM
Is there a latino history month????how about a salute to Native American month?
Please don't say you didn't know Come on now! Sorry,if the question was rhetorical and you actually know those things exist. I'll repost :1)Black History month is NOT simply about the history of African Americans. Its the history of all people of the African diaspora and was ONLY instituted because it wasn't taught in balance in World history nor American history classes to children in the USA.

2)Once American history is taught in balance of reality from a panoramic perspective(this includes the need for more depth and perspective in NativeAmerican history also) there will no longer be a need for Black History Month. I believe that day is comming but it is NOT here. It has certainly improved in the past 20yrs. There is still work to be done. In the meantime,Black History Month has and continues to serve a good purpose on the whole.

3) The full story of York who was Clark's (of Lewis&Clark) valet/slave is analogously parallel to the reason for Black History month in the 1st place.

Me thinks: Has it occured to you that what someone who is not a part of the AfricanAmerican community and poorly informed thinks its heroes are, is perhaps less than what Americans think of an opinion Osama Bin Laden might have of who the real heros are in the USA? Its a fair analogy.

Oh,BTW perhaps a reason someone who lives in the USA may not know that Latino and Native Americans also celebrate a month in celebration of their heritage is due to racism in the USA. Not much hoopla nor complaints surrounding those months.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:34:26 PM
acurbank:Not only did York get "hosed" by not getting any grants, nor double pay ect., but he was treated like crap during the expidition even though he covered the sickly Clark's butt and performed some of his duties. He also was extremely helpful in establishing relationships with the Natives. Clark was a spoiled pompous weak punk who wouldn't have survived or finished the expidition without York,still he instead of showing his gratitude LIED about the "fate"of York. In a vicious pompous self serving lie,Clark speaking of the man who saved his life and basically made him,said that he granted York his freedom and once freed,broken and misrable he asked Clark to take him back.
Now what is interesting about that claim,is that once back Clark refused to grant York freedom in letters he wrote to family and friends. He did however grant York the right to "visit" with York's wife (a slave)who lived in Louisville,Ky(thats another of the horrible realities of US slavery). Clark wrote to his brother Jonathan, "if any attempt is made by york to run off, or refuse to provorm his duty as a Slave, I wish him Sent to New Orleans and Sold, or hired out to Some Severe master untill he thinks better of Such Conduct." So it would seem that the fact that York isn't mentioned by Clark until he spoke of him to writer Washington Irving telling the story that York was miserable once Clark freed him.

However, years later a trapper noted that he met York(or someone who spoke excellent English who looked like him and claimed to be him) living a good life among the Crow Nation.
Hence my analogy to the history of people of the African diaspora...lost, misrepresented, stolen and/or lied about. Believe it or not,there was a time when most Americans thought the slaves were too content, lazy or docile to have rebelled. Then the only rebellions thought in textbooks were those of Nat Turner, Gabrial Prosser or Denmak Vessey. T'ousaint L'Overture was played down(and continues to be) in US textbooks even Simon Bolivar got more recognition in US textbooks. Still, amazingly to this day,there is no mention of the only successful slave revolt in US history. This is just an example of the reasons for the continued need for Black History Month and a push/DEMAND for balance, for TRUTH in history(my favorite subject next to sex).
 JordanMardan
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2007 5:46:27 PM
marita b wrote: "Is there a latino history month???????????"

Jordan: Yes, there are Latino holidays.
However, to ask such a question and posit it as a reason for NOT having Black History Month is ridiculous...especially when people like yourself are most responsible for the need of such holidays.

Jordan
 readyfordating
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/18/2007 10:52:54 AM
If in fact Morgan Freeman said that, I agree. America still suffers from segregation, and we should be on a campaign of inclusion. History should be American History, more inclusive of all ethnic makeups, and more of it, maybe only then could everyone be happy, and learn the real stories and not just the ones of an agenda.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2007 5:27:02 PM
Freeman said that black history is American history. Should we have a Scots-Irish American history for my ancestors? Absolutely not. Our ancestors' actions in times of crisis are our history.

It somehow seems worse that "Black History" got February, the shortest month of the year. Black history is part of our culture, a piece of our existence. The fact that people of color have gotten the short end of the stick has been one of the scars that remains on the story of our nation.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2007 6:05:29 PM

He also said in the interview "dont call me that black guy, Morgan Freedman ,Im just Morgan Freeman .
He feels that ethinic labels and a special month for that ethnicity breeds seperation.

A wise man. "He did well for a blackman" so belittles a real accomplishment. Either they did well or they didn't.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:11:57 PM
marita b: "Is there a latino history month???????????
and,...why not???,...how about a salute to Native American month?
That was the reason there were objections regarding black history month,...

Jordan: Just because a "Black History Month" was implemented....does NOT mean that anyone was against a "Latino Month" or a " 'Native' " American Month.

Originally, "Negro HistoryWeek" was supposed to only last until "Negro History" was included in K-12 history. However, since white America continues to EXCLUDE the accomplishment and contribution of People of Color (African-/Asian-/Latino-/ and "Native" Americans from textbooks, Black History Month, Cinco de Mayo, and other celebrations continue to be necessary.

As MM wrote, "there's never any complaints about the celebrations of Latinos or "Native" Americans, etc.
Just like there's no complaints about the various Latino-based TV channels or Asian Week, a show covering issues important to the Asian American community.

If we were fairly represented on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., there'd be no need for such channels. So again....whites frequnetly fail to see how their own discriminatory behaviors lead to the development of the very things they criticize: BET, Asian Week, Latino channels, Black History Month, and so on.

Rather than criticizing the existence of the celebrations and/or TV channels, your efforts would be better spent on elimination "racial" exclusion, whether it's textbooks or representational TV programming.

Jordan Mardan

JordanMardan
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:50:12 PM
Marie88: "but is there such a thing as white history month."

Jordan: Yes, there is such a thing.....but it is 12 months rather than just one.
Your question is about the "normalizing of whiteness."
What does that mean?

It means that the term white isn't used as an adjective coming before the name of a particular class, celebration, etc.
The ethnic identifier is *invisible* when it's the dominant group.

For example, History 101, HIS 205, or History 571......could also be called White History 101, White History 205, or White History 571....because that's ALL those classes focus on.

If one desires to learn about African-/Asian-/Latino-/ or "Native" Americans in a **normative** way...you have to enroll in classes containing an ethnic identifier before the particular course, such as African American History 265 or Latino Studies 450, etc.

Relatedly, I often notice that when whites refer to one another, they simply say "my dentist, my lawyer, or my professor," but when the person being referred to is African-/Asian-/Latino-/ or "Native"-American...they say "my Black professor, my Latino dentist, or my Native American lawyer, etc.
Hence, while they KNOW why they do that....they frequently fail to comprehend *why* ethnic identifiers appear before certain course names.

Three, let's look at another society where there is a dominant group and several others that are subordinated by economic and political power.
In Japan you won't see any classes titled "Japanese History 101 or Japanese Anthropolgy 250. They're simply called History 101 or Anthropology 250.

But you will see, for example, Chinese History 101 or Chinese Anthropology 254.
As with ethnic identifers for courses in the USA, such classes cover information that is TYPICALLY excluded from classes NOT containing an ethnic identifier preceding the name of te class.
And so i is for TV shows like BET, Asian Week, or Telemundo, a Latino station.
These names inform viewers that "one is most likely to see shows, etc., that resonate with one's ethnic heritage"....as opposed to the stereotypical bull one is most likely to encounter on stations without an ethnic identifier.

So yes Marie, there is a white Santa Claus, but in general one has to tune to BET, Telemundo, or an Asian station to see an African-/Asian-/Latino-/ or "Native" American one.
Local libraries in metropolitan areas may contain multicultural materials, but many do not.

brownsugar: "If we segregate ourselves and take 28 days to remember blacks and other minorities..."

Jordan: Almost everyone I know that celebrates Black History Month would like for the information to be included in the general curriculum along with white history.

We did NOT voluntary choose to segregate Black history into one month....white America did.
Your words i-g-n-o-r-e the role of whites in the development of Black History Month, and the continuing existence of such a Month.
Sooooooo....Morgan Freeman was off base when he made those statements.
Although I agree with him about "including the history in the general curriculum," it would be wrong to suggest that "Blacks voluntarily implemented Black History Month" and/or that we want to continue celebrating such a Month."

Jordan Mardan
 alpine ns
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:54:53 PM
Black history month is a biggest lie going. We all know it. However, to "commenmorate" Black history month, I will post an invention myth dishonestly credited to the Black community. One for every day of this month.

And by the way, no White history month for us! That would be "racist" ...*shocking*

Black Invention Myth
=== Air Conditioner ===
Frederick Jones in 1949? Not even close !!

Dr. Willis Carrier built the first machine to control both the temperature and humidity of indoor air. He received the first of many patents in 1906 (US patent #808897, for the "Apparatus for Treating Air"). In 1911 he published the formulae that became the scientific basis for air conditioning design, and four years later formed the Carrier Engineering Corporation to develop and manufacture AC systems.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good