Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 girlllygirl
Msg: 51
Actor Says Black History Month No GoodPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I must not have read the posts myself; is someone actually calling him a racist?
 girlllygirl
Msg: 52
Actor Says Black History Month No Good
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:19:30 AM

Sorry Girllly, I haven't read all the posts but that is what many people here in Arkansas and Mississippi are saying.
Interesting.

Have a great New Years.
Ditto
 girlllygirl
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:52:07 AM
My thing with black history month is this, if black people want equal rights, then why are they wanting to be treated better? There's certainly no white history month. No asain history month, or arabic.
Why does everyone insist this? It's really getting old. Aside from the fact that it has nothing to do with "treatment," it's inaccurate. For example:

Origins of APA Heritage Month
A national celebration established in 1977
by Ricco Villanueva Siasoco
May is Asian Pacific American (APA) Heritage Month—a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. Much like Black History and Women's History celebrations, APA Heritage Month originated in a congressional bill.

Congressional Bills Establish Celebration
In June 1977, Representatives Frank Horton of New York and Norman Y. Mineta of California introduced a House resolution that called upon the president to proclaim the first ten days of May as Asian/Pacific Heritage Week. The following month, senators Daniel Inouye and Spark Matsunaga introduced a similar bill in the Senate. Both were passed.

On October 5, 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a Joint Resolution designating the annual celebration.

APA Becomes Month-long Celebration
In May 1990, the holiday was expanded further when President George H. W. Bush designated May to be Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. May was chosen to commemorate the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States on May 7, 1843, and to mark the anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869. The majority of the workers who laid the tracks were Chinese immigrants.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month is celebrated with community festivals, government-sponsored activities, and educational activities for students. This year's theme is "Freedom for All—A Nation We Call Our Own."

Looks like this sort of thing is on the rise, too, thankfully:

Press Release

American Jewish History Month Passes House Unanimously

Wasserman Schultz resolution is first step in creation of national month recognizing Jewish contributions to American history

December 15, 2005
(Washington, DC) -- This afternoon the House of Representatives passed, by a vote of 423-0, a resolution sponsored by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, urging President Bush to proclaim January as American Jewish History month. This historic legislation was introduced with the support of 250 original co-sponsors with broad bi-partisan support.

“For over 350 years, American culture has been deeply enriched by the contributions of Jews,” said Rep. Wasserman Schultz. “While only 2% of the population, Jews have played a vital role in every aspect of American culture, from the westward expansion to advances in medicine to such quintessentially American symbols as the song God Bless America.”

Many Americans have very little understanding of Judaism and Jewish culture simply because the majority of Americans have few interactions with Jews or Jewish traditions.

“For instance, many Americans perceive Judaism as only a religion,” said Rep. Wasserman Schultz. “In reality, Judaism is a religion, a rich tradition, and a culture that dates back over 4,000 years. It is this very complexity that contributes to stereotypes and prejudices often directed at Jews.”

Rep. Wasserman Schultz will be working with House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) as well as with the Washington representatives of organizations from across the country to urge President Bush to establish, by Executive Order, American Jewish History Month.

This is really just a standard way of recognizing and appreciating differences in this country, and it is beyond me how anyone could actually take issue with it, let alone actually deny the existance of the practice.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/003581.html

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/002270.html

http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/ethnic_relig/naihm.html

http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/ethnic_relig/naihm.html

Equal means the same, no more or no less.
Steps taken to achieve equality can't be parsed out and called unfair because equivalent steps aren't taken across the board. Well, they can be, but it doesn't make any sense.

Black people were and still are treated badly, but that was a different time.
You don't get out much, do you?

Our country is full of mistakes, and we certainly shouldn't forget them, but we should put them in the past. Let's move on and try to live in equality as much as humanly possible.
That's exactly what people who are actively promoting these things are trying to do. I understand that it causes some discomfort for people who want to turn their backs on our societal problems and pretend that everything is ok, but that's not going to help anyone.

I was pleased to see the 423-0 vote in the House. It's nice to know that no one there promotes the sort of "head in the sand" mentality that has been promoted throughout this thread.
 girlllygirl
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/1/2006 10:16:37 AM

Fact is....all the ethnic minority cultures should be PROMOTED.....thats the difference....its not enough to have a month...media PROMOTION for all or none.
You take the position that nothing is good enough... that's awfully convenient.

I would imagine that Americans do not know this but thats how it is as we Europeans are on the doorstep of European cultures and histories of diverse sorts but this one....according to all reports is leading French and Italian...
?!

however...nobody but nobody looked like Elvis or sang like him.There is no way that blacks had his hair/eye colour or style of hair .Or to say that his version of "its alright" sounds anything like the black fella who sang it.
When you hear people talk about how Elvis borrowed from the spirituals, the blues, etc., they aren't talking about his hair or eye color... ??!!

Like I said before....put those few books in the libraries....there is nothing in there.
In general, you devote a lot of time and effort to suggest that African American history is irrelevant... why is that? I hope you don't feel threatened or something... in any event, this marginalization seems pretty important to you. Just one more reason why recognition like black history month is important. Unfortunately there are people like Irishmary here in the US too, which partially accounts for the unanimous vote in the House on the issue of other recognition of ethnicity, culture, and religion.
 girlllygirl
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/1/2006 3:55:05 PM
He gets together with people who share his beliefs. Geeze.
 girlllygirl
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:34:24 PM

No Girllly. most of them do not
Most of them DON'T get together with others who share their beliefs? Huh. Well, personally, when I meet someone from PoF, I still allow them to share their own info publically. I don't think this is the place to use peoples' personal lives to trash them.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 4:40:23 PM
acburbank wrote: "I just get a little peeved when they spend 2 weeks on MLK, but never MENTION Linclon, Washington, Jefferson etc.... "

JL: There are tons and tons and tons of history taught in the schools about Lincoln, Washington, and Jefferson. And by the way, take a look at Jefferson's "Notes on Virginia."

Have you ever heard of Dr. Mark Dean...the person most responsible for you having the computer you're typing your messages on?! Go to google.com and place his name in the search engine.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:25:22 PM
janicholie wrote: "My thing with black history month is this, if black people want equal rights, then why are they wanting to be treated better? There's certainly no white history month. No asain history month, or arabic. Sorta like the feminist moment."

JL: The original objectives for creating and celebrating Black History Month were:

1) to counter the writings of white historians like Arnold Toynbee, who wrote "Africans and Blacks have no history worth reading about."

2) In order to legitimize the enslavement of Africans, all the achievements, contributions, etc., of African peoples and their descendants to the world were hidden. For example, during the first millenium, there were 3 popes at the Vatican who were either from Africa or of African descent: Saint Victor I (189-99); Saint Miltiades (311-14); and Saint Gelasius I (492-96).

In his book, Popes Through the Ages," James Brusher writes " Although a great writer, Gelasius made his strongest impression as a man of holiness...he was outstanding for his sense of justice and above all for his charity to the poor."
The "Oxford Dictionary of Popes" describes Gelasius as"being of African descent."

Yet, when people were debating about "who would succeed Pope John Paul II," and Cardinal Francis Arinze's (a Nigerian) name was mentioned, people were saying "if selected he'd be the first pope of African descent." Nope. Better do some research.

Bluegrass music owes its banjo to people of African descent. When the Africans were brought to America, they had a two-string instrument that was developed further into a banjo among musicians in Appalachia. Kentucky Educational Television (KET) recently broadcast a presentation about the Appalachian Peoples, and a segment covered the Africans' contributions to Bluegrass music.

Jan Matzeliger revolutionized the shoe industry with his "shoe lasting" machine.
Elijah McCoy (from whence the phrase "The Real McCoy" came from) invented several devices that economized railroads and locomotives. One of these was the "automatic drip cup."
Before this invention, trains had to make a number of stops in order to have their engines lubricated. McCoy's invention saved the railroads time and money.

And there are thousands and thousands more UNKNOWN African-American inventors.

Randall Robinson, one of the leaders of Trans Africa, one of several organizations that helped to topple Aparthied in South Africa, wrote in one of his many books:
"Willliam Shakespeare wrote Othello between 1602 and 1604. Had Shakespeare lived and written in the eighteenth century, Othello would never have a Moor as the protagonist.

The sea change in global racial perceptions, principally occasioned by the Atalntic slave trade and its justifiers, was that pervasive. In the modern social context of spoken and unspoken assumptions about race, the apparent nonexistence of race as a prejudgment during the early and middle ages may strain credulity for many. As does the truth of individual Black achievement and prominence in the far past."

Referring to Othello, C.L.R. James writes:

"I say with the fullest confidence that you could strike out every single reference to [Othello's] Black skin and the play would be essentially the same. Othello's trouble is that he is an outsider. He is not a Venetian. He is a military bureaucrat, a technician, hired to fight for Venice, a foreign country. **The Senate has no consciousness whatever of his color** (my emphasis). That is a startling fact, but true. They haven't to make allowances for it. It simply has no place in their minds." (end)

Both Robinson and James makes clear the point that "before the enslavement of Africans, there was no such thing as race, and ANYONE OF ANY COLOR had an equal opportunity to be hired." But once the pseudo-science of "race" began to take hold, all achievements, inventions, etc., etc., etc., of Africans and those of African descent, were removed from the "pages of history" and NOT acknowledged in future works of history, etc.

Hence, Black History Month was created to provide a sense of pride in African Americans, who, along with every one else, had been taught (by whites) that they were inferior and hadn't contributed to the progress of the world.

Hence, although I think all groups' histories and/or accomplishments should be included in public schools' textbooks and college curriculums, Black History Month was created to COUNTER the widespread and pervasive misinformation about the history of Africans and Blacks.

janicholie's assumptions are dead wrong, for no other group was as much maligned by "science" as Africans and their descendants have been in American history.

For example, had there not been the "lie of inferiority" and all that pseudo-science bull used to justify slavery, then after slavery the people could have been freed and then went about obtaining the American Dream just like everyone else...but their so-called "inferiority justified by 'science'" continued to be used to justify the subordination of Negroes as second-class citizens in not only the Jim Crow South but also in the North, particularly the northeast, where many plantations thrived ("yes, Rebecca, there was a thriving slave economy in the North").

Black Studies were created on college campuses to counter the distortions and lies about the treatment of Africans and their descendants in America. Since the rise of these course, there are now Asian Studies, Latino Studies, and Native American Studies.

Of course, all along, we've ALWAYS had a "White American History Month", er, "White American History Year," and the name of the textbooks used to celebrate it are simply called "United States History." So janicholie et al are wrong again.

There are now many multicultural textbooks that provide a blended history of the accomplishments and contributions of ALL peoples in America. I suggest that janicholie and others making similar arguments take a look at them...perhaps you might learn something and unlearn the lies of the past. As a matter of fact, why don't you take a look at "Lies My Teacher Told Me," by a white history professor at a college in Vermont named James W. Loewen.

He also has a book called "Lies Across America," which examines the thousands of historical markers throughout the country exhibiting misinformation and outright lies. :>)

It is not that "Blacks are looking to be "treated better," but simply to counter the racist misinformation spread by whites in textbooks, newspapers, movies, novels, etc., etc., etc.

Hopefully, as "Worldview" and a couple of others have implied, "perhaps, one day all the public schools and colleges will be using multicultural-based textbooks rather than the eurocentric and racist ones used in both the past and today."

And then, and only then, will there NOT be a need for a Black History Month, a Cinco de Mayo, and/or an Asian American Day. Yes, there are several cities that have celebrations to recognize Asians', Latinos', and Native Americans' (what a ridiculous name; those people had a name long before the name "America" was coined...and just as absurd are the naming of centuries past as "Prehistoric America" or "Ancient America"...for not only did the Europeans colonize the present, these names indicate that "they colonized the past as well"...think about it janicholie and others saturated in eurocentric-based thinking) or more accurately Indigneous Peoples', cultures...but none are as prominent as Black History Month...simply because they haven't been around that long.

Janichole, a racist is defined as someone who believes that "there are both inferior and superior groups of humans, and that physical charateristics such as skin color, hair texture, eye shape, etc., are indicators of innate capacities, such as intelligence, emotions, and/or temperament.

When this definition is used to exclude someone from a job, from renting an apartment, getting a bank loan, etc., discrimination/racism takes place. Hence, racism and discrimination cannot be separated.

I'm not going to address it in this message, but your notions about the "feminist movement" are wrong, too.

JordanMardan
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:17 PM
girllly girl wrote: "let alone actually deny the existance of the practice."

JL: I don't think they're "denying the existence"...it's just that they're ignorant/unfamiliar/unaware of the practices....as with so many other things.

That was some some great info you posted, girlllygirl.

Thanks much,

earnest132
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:43:02 PM
Who cares what he says. he is a dumb actor with an iq of 70. we have to outsource all the jobs to the third world because our blacks are so spoiled. we allow them to rape our women with impunity
 JordanMardan
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:48:23 PM
specialk2004 wrote: "Great point here, we have equality when we all stop saying that black guy or white guy or girl and instead refer to people as people. I beilieve the is what Mr Freeman is speaking of, to point out differences only shows we still recognize them."

JL: Your first sentence is correct.
However, the second one is very problematic, for there is nothing wrong in "celebrating and/or acknowledging differences."

The problems arise when certain people *use* those differences to claim superiority or inferiority. We can plainly see that we all have different customs, practices, and/or traditions...and none of them are better than or worse than any others.

Each ethnic group in America, whether Black, White, Asian, etc., has hundreds, if not thousands, of various sub-cultures. Hence, it's very difficult to even precisely provide a definitive description of just what Black culture, White culture, etc., is.

It's the differences that have blended together to make this country what it is today. For example, the "brain drain" effect that the American economy has in attracting people from all over the world to want to migrate and work here makes us stronger.

These peoples have contributed mightily in science and/or other technical areas, but our history books keep telling us that "only one group is responsible for all these things."

Soooooooooooooo, differences should be illuminated...and celebrated....not denigrated as inferior or whatever...as white amerikkka does with its selective media.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:32 PM
irishmary wrote: "nobody but nobody looked like Elvis or sang like him"

JL: Why would anyone want to look like him, except maybe those who worship him?!
Two, "nobody sang like him": another historically wrong assumption. Ignorance continues to reign.

Elvis, as a white man, was able to take advantage of the fact that "the Black singers he was imitating* could not be shown on national or local television swaying or gyrating their hips while white women watched at home or in the audience.

In the documentaries of various Black stars like Bo Diddley, they talk about Elvis hanging around backstage checking out their shows...and then incorporating their movements, stylings, etc., into his own shows.

Here's something I want all you eurocentric-based thinkers to think about:
If Elvis, the Beatles, or any other prominent white rock-n-roller had been Black, Latino, or Asian, would they have become the stars that they did?!

Nope. Not during the 40's, 50's and 60's...for they would have had to go over seas to Europe to gain fame on a national, and eventually, an international scale....just as many great Black artists had to do back then.

"Race" played a huge role in whether a musician got the kind of publicity needed to be transformed into a national star in the US during those times...and it continues to play a role today. Many, many, many white-owned radio stations WOULD NOT PLAY records by Black artists, as well as other Artists of Color....but if you were white....everything was open to you...and it all contributed to an artist's success, limited success, or lack of success.
(another example of the "pull yourselves up by your bootstraps" myth)

In fact, in the movie about the life of Little Richard, one of the main messages conveyed by the movie was that he "couldn't play before white audiences during the early years of his career because of racist attitudes."
The movie demonstrates how white stars like Pat Boone would sing Little Richard's songs before white audiences, and when they decided to record his songs, Little Richard would get paid a certain percentage of what the record brought in: 1/2 of a one cent per record sold.

Interestingly, Elvis has been described as being a Melungeon, which was defined as a "person having Black, white, and Indian blood."
Take a look at Brewton Berry's "Almost White: A Study of Certain Racial Hybrids in the Eastern United States." :>)
Soooooo, it looks as if your darling Elvis wasn't all white. :>)

John L.
 earnest132
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:30:57 PM
Black music resulted in America sinking into decadence and debauchery. Meanwhile, Japan out competed us by a large margin and took most of our jobs.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:55 PM
earnest132 revealed his ignorance and racism by writing: "because our blacks are so spoiled. we allow them to rape our women with impunity"

JL: "Our Blacks?!"
Blacks don't belong to you or any other whites.
And how did I know that you are white...since you didn't identify yourself?!
Only white people write ignorant sh*t like that.
I've NEVER come across any member of other groups writing anything even remotely similar to your racist statements...but I have read plenty of similar asinine statements by whites.

Secondly, the stats on rape convey that 89% of all rapes occur within a group, with about 11% occuring across groups."

What that means, "earnest", is that the "overwhelming majority of white women that are raped....are raped by white men...or most Latinas are raped by Latino men or most Black women that are raped are raped by Black men. The other 11% of each group is comprised of a mixture of attackers.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:50:00 PM
yna6 writes: "Sheesh....lets try human histiry onth and quit allowing people to segragate themselves by pointing out how different they are."

JL: The absurdity of your statement rests in the fact that "supporting Black History Month is not an act of segregation," for many Blacks support the holidays that girlllygirl wrote about.

A better way to spend your time would be working to support the multiculturalization of our nation's public's schools and college curriculums rather than complaining about "Black History Month" or any other.

Don't complain about affirmative action, but work to decrease the reasons its needed...is the same thing. Comprende?

John L.
 earnest132
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:50:20 PM
The statistics show that blacks commit most of the crime in our society. i will never understand why blacks were released from their obligations as slaves. we brought them here at our expense. they should not be taking jobs from whites. Look at how violent blacks are. they use violence to intimidate us. I say lynch them.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:56:40 AM
earnest wrote: "Black music resulted in America sinking into decadence and debauchery. Meanwhile, Japan out competed us by a large margin and took most of our jobs."

JL: That's just the sort of mindless dribble that I hear from white conservatives on talk radio.
Your message is reflective of those who contend that "since the removal of the Ten Commandments from government property, the crime rate has increased, the country has become less moral, etc. Totally absurd assumptions...and here's the reasons why:

Some of the most atrocious crimes committed by humans against other humans occurred during the very times that the Commandments and moral mandates were prominently on display throughout amerikkka: during slavery (the rape of Black women, children, and teenagers; and men in some cases); the Jim Crow era; the violence of white mobs and individuals during intergration; the burning, lynching, and torturing of those who dared to act, speak, and write against white supremacy (whether the KKK or the White Conservative Citizens Council).

No, no, earnest, the decadence, debauchery you mention happened long before the Black music scene...but I know you've probably blocked it out of consciousness...to keep from going insane.

JCL
 JordanMardan
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:00:42 PM
earnest wrote: "The statistics show that blacks commit most of the crime in our society."

JCL: If you have some stats, then post them...prove what you're writing.

JCL
 JordanMardan
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:07:23 PM
Here's an article illustrating how the media reports stories about crime and it's affect on how people think.

Crime Has No Culture or Race
by Susan Riley
The Ottawa Citizen

If racism was always stark, violent and overt, it would be easy to recognize and easier to deal with. But unfortunately, racism can be mild and unremarkable, part of the daily texture of our lives.

Over the holiday, for example, three men were stabbed in a late-night brawl in the Saigon Capital restaurant on Somerset Street. The restaurant is Vietnamese: those involved in the fracas were of Asian origin.

Does this make it "Asian crime" as headlines in our newspaper and elsewhere suggested? Does the fact that some extortion was involved make the crime particularly Asian? And what Asians? Vietnamese? Chinese? Indonesian?

Or was it merely crime? Is any attempt to define it further careless prejudice or is it a vital aspect of competent police work? Last fall, when Ottawa high school students were involved in a drunken encounter with Hull police, no one talked about "white crime."

To be fair, a story in the Citizen concluded that there is no crime wave within Ottawa's Asian community. It also documented real concerns in Asian communities in Toronto and Vancouver, where thugs and drug-peddlers prey on their own kind and the larger society.

But this still isn't Asian crime. It is crime within the Asian community. The distinction is critical.

The Citizen story also quoted a Vietnamese-born lawyer, Nhung Thuy Hoang, who defends Asian-Canadians accused of various crimes. The most common charges according to her? Theft and wife assault.

These don't sound like Asian crimes: on the contrary, they are common to almost every culture. Imagine the uproar if we started referring to wife abuse as "male crime".

For all that, the Asian community does pose a special challenge to police forces, not because Asians are more mendacious by nature, but because their language and culture is so foreign.

In Vancouver and Toronto, police have had special Asian investigative units since the `70s. Newspapers occasionally feature lurid accounts of their struggles with "Asian youth gangs" that operate protection rackets, smuggle drugs and manage prostitutes.

(Again the language is loaded. If a group of Asian boys wearing leather, chains and aggressive attitude shoves you of the sidewalk, is it an Asian youth gang or just a bunch of punks?)

Ottawa, too, has an Asian unit, formed in 1987, the only squad devoted to one ethnic community. Its professed aim is to assist, rather than target, Asian-Canadians.

Nhung Thuy Hoang applauds this approach, noting that "a lot of police are not very familiar with our culture."

She recalls one client, a Vietnamese woman, who was charged when she burned dry leaves in a city park ? a common practice in her native country. Other Vietnamese are charged with abandonment when they let their children wander at large, as they used to in refugee camps.

Still others are mortified when their custom of showing children physical affection is interpreted by non-Asian neighbors as child abuse.

There is, says the lawyer, no need for protection from youth gangs within Ottawa's Asian community. But there is need for educated, sensitive policing.

What she is talking about, of course, is the other side of racism: a **respectful recognition of difference**. Only when we ? the police and society at large ? achieve that will "Asian crime" disappear. (JL's emphasis)

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:50:51 PM
Notice the categories "forcible rape, sex offenses, and offenses against families and children."
Earnest and his talk radio sources are wrong.

SO what role does the media play in leading most whites and other non-Black groups to believe that Blacks commit the most crime?

Well, it depends on which crimes are highlighted, and which of the classifications of crime below are used in generating a list of "violent crime."

"Offenses against family and children" is rarely, if ever, included in the media's definition of what constitutes "violent crime."

Blacks lead in murder and robbery cases, and whites lead in aggravated assault and offenses against family and children...but as noted above, "offenses against family and children are **hidden***... and that's because of what reason?

Whites control 1) what crimes are included in the violent crime category, 2) control what crimes in this society are illuminated in the media, and 3) control moch of the research and publications on crime read by the public, whether journal articles, newspapers, TV, radio, etc.

I have deleted the stats for Latinos, Asians, and Indigenous People or Indians.
John L.

Crimes by Race by Race, 2002
Percent distribution
Offense charged White Black
Total 71.5% 25.7%
Murder 45.9 50.1
Forcible rape 62.0 36.0
Robbery 38.6 58.9
Aggravated assault 60.8 36.7
Burglary 72.4 25.2
Larceny-theft 70.1 26.5
Motor vehicle theft 58.3 38.3
Arson 80.7 17.6
Other assaults 62.9 34.2
Forgery and counterfeiting 78.1 19.5
Fraud 66.1 32.0
Embezzlement 69.3 28.5
Stolen property—buying, receiving, possessing 56.5 41.4
Vandalism 81.0 16.6
Weapons possession 67.1 30.7
Prostitution 43.8 54.6
Sex offenses, except forcible rape and prostitution 72.1% 26.0%
Drug abuse violation 73.2 24.9
Gambling 11.4 85.7
Offenses against family and children 73.8 23.5
Driving under the influence 93.3 4.1
Liquor laws 92.2 4.4
Drunkenness 90.0 7.4
Disorderly conduct 63.9 34.0
Vagrancy 75.6 22.8
All other offenses except traffic 74.9 22.3
Suspicion 69.7 28.2
Curfew and loitering law violations 68.6 28.8
Runaways 75.8 18.4

NOTE: For arrests 18 years and older. Total number of estimated arrests: 13.7 million.
1. Because of rounding, the percentages may not add up to total.
2. Includes nonnegligent manslaughter.
Source: Crime in the United States, 2002, FBI, Uniform Crime Reports.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:08:50 PM
adj4u writes: "seperate but equal did not work when it came to schools why would we think it would work when it comes to classes"

JL: "Separate but equal" was a government mandated condition designed to prevent People of Color (African-/Asian-/ and Latino-Americans and Indigenous Peoples) from receiving the same type of education that white students received.

Having a Black History Month, or Cinco de Mayo, or Asian American Week are not examples of "separate but equal"...for they were spawned to fight against and/or counter their racist exclusion from the history books.

Your thinking reminds me of those whites who recently wrote "Letters to the Editor" of the local paper asking "If Blacks are allowed to wear attire with X (Malcolm X) on them, why can't we wear clothing with the confederate flag on it?"

Well, the two examples are not the same. Malcolm X was fighting against racism and exclusion while the Confederate flag is a symbol of exclusion, hate, "racial" subordination and violence to uphold white supremacy.

There aren't any similarites of circumstances.
However, as I **already** wrote 2-3 days ago, the founder of Black History Month did not envision it as something that would last forever. His hope was that one day all peoples history would be included in the history books...but unfortunately...amerikkkan society is not at the point where Black History Month, Asian American Week, or Cinco de Mayo can be eliminated.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:28:08 PM
dil dil se wrote: "Other minorities have made tremendous strides in their country of choice...not to mention their country of origin such as mine being India and my new one being Britain.I know and Britain knows the achievements of my racial origin and they are tremendous but we don't ask for a HISTORY MONTH and I don't like being under an alien heading either.
I believe our achievments are so huge they can stand by themselves in every field-art,music,literture,history,culture,cookery etc

Black history should be promoted only if others are too."

JL: What incenses me about the words above is that "very few people of Asian Indian descent have actually participated in the civil rights movement."

African Americans and a small percentage of whites have been the primary "movers and shakers" of the Civil Rights Movement. Yet, all groups of color have benefited from their hard work, loss of life, and incarceration.

People like dil dil se think that "the Others" should do all the damn work and then they should receive fruits as well.
As far as I'm concerned, **in the context of WHOM** has struggled with white supremacy historically and today to overcome it, you don't even have the right to make such a comment.

The "minorities" you note in other countries have FREQUENTLY BORROWED from the strategies of the American Civil Rights Movement to fight against oppression in their home countries.
For example, India now has an affirmative action program.
Once it was implemented, many Brahmans began committing suicide in protest of the policy.

It is indeed interesting that dil dil se would dare to mention "minorities fighting against oppression in foreign countries," but when those foreign minorities arrive in amerikkka, whom do they align themselves with??!!
Right, with whites...in order to receive a few crumbs of white privilege.

As a community activist, I have rarely seen Asian Americans taking part in various protests and/or meetings to address oppression in America.

However, I do have some Asian American friends that are activists, but they represent a very, very small percentage of the Asiam American population.

Lastly, Blacks did not ask for a Black History Month...we simply started celebrating it.

John L.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:48:19 PM
sergeant rock: There were so many African Americans lynched, displaced, and horrified during the times of "jim crow”, that history can not even calculate the effect it has had on contemporary lives of African Americans today.

cotter: Why is this still affecting contemporary lives of "African Americans" today?

Through "indentured slavery" and the "war" against the Native Americans, my ancestors were displaced and mistreated, slaughtered rather than lynched, and forced to live on secluded reservations where the land could barely produce enough food to support them.

I think about it all the time, but the fact that it occurred ... still is occurring when you consider that the Native Americans are still not really treated like 1st class citizens of the United States even though they really are the only true "Americans" ... does not keep me from functioning in today's society, educating myself (poor as I was), following the rules (no matter how much I don't always agree), and providing for myself (even though I do not live in the lap of luxury).

John L: Yes, Cotter, your ancestors were treated that way, but once they were assimilated into the "melting pot" of whiteness (all european ethnics eventually become white in amerikkka after initially encountering discrimination), they became part of the majority group, able to access various jobs, geven the benefit of the doubt, etc, etc., etc.

The point you miss above in regards to the "continuing effects of the Jim Crow Era" is that the beliefs whites held then are still believed (wealthy old white males make the rules), and are the primary foundation when making many policies that result in "racial" disparities in education, economics, health care access/mortality rates, and so on.

For example, various studies illustrate that "doctors spend much less time in attempting to revive a Black heart attack patient than a white one."
Why? They believe a white life is more valuable.

Much of the pseudo-science that declared "Blacks are inferior" and thus should be given only 2nd class citizenship" was generated during the Jim Crow Era.
Hence, your focus should not be on Blacks, but on the effects stemming from the racist beliefs held by whites.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:04:20 PM
cotter writes: " Not to mention, even though not all of our ancestors were “slave owners”, we are treated as such during “black history” month."

JL: What a crock of sh*t!!!
Here's what history says:

Although most whites were not slave owners, many aspired to be slave owners. There was a policy where poor whites could "Rent A Slave for a Day."

Two, although cotton was raised in the South, it was the North's shipping industry that shipped the cotton to foreign countries. The cargo was insured by the North's insurance companies.

Thus, in order to have ships, you must have wood, steel, and lot of other products, and food to feed the crews. The plantions supported and were supported in turn by a host of businesses...all of which employed who?! White people.

So your argument, which is often trumpted by other whites, holds no water...because many, many, many businesses employed white people that both directly and/or indirectly supported or was supported by slavery.

Your argument treats slavery as if the plantation owners and their plantations were islands, unaffected by or not having any impact upon the society around them. That's not true.

In the PBS video series "Africans in America," it was estimated that slavery pumped $25 billion into the American economy in 1843."

How much is that in today's dollars? Right, in the trillions...and most whites, in one form or another, benefited whether plantation owner or worker in the logging, steel, coal, etc., industries or other businesses that sold supplies to the plantations.

John L.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good