Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 e-trig
Msg: 26
Living with PsoriasisPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I dont know which is worse... Excema or Psoriasis.

I agree.. I suffer from Excema. I wouldn't wish either on my worst enemy! I use Lidex to keep it "in check" But I'll be looking into the omega...

Even tho I don't suffer from Psoriasis there has been very good info posted that seems to apply to both skin conditions or should one say maybe total body health in general.
Just wanted to say thanks!
 Shurite
Msg: 27
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/22/2009 5:25:43 PM
"Enebrel does not get to the root cause of the problem. In clinical studies people have died. But, you won't here that part in the news. All drugs have toxic, acid producing side effects and only deal w/ the symptom. What is the root cause of psoriasis or arthritis? Undigested proteins cause toxic build up over time. The blood, joints start to get dirty and toxic. Calcification forms, plaque forms, organs get overloaded. Anything ending in "itis" means inflammation. When the body's pH balance is too acid, it causes inflammation. Toxic overload causes too much acidity in the body bringing about inflammation. There are natural ways to reduce inflammation and get to the root cause of the problem without side effects. In a pH, oxygenated environment most preventable degenerative diseases would not exist. " mez7

This is a bunch of silly tin foil hat BS.
 turndavidgmai
Msg: 31
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:23:45 PM
HI,
Treating psoriasis with all treatments effective seems to working good. Dead sea salts have different kind of magnesium than the sulf.. ones sold in drug stores for soaking. This slow the skin cell development down. Also UVB light is used now for the treatment. Further use of jojoba oil is important too on hot day. should you have questions search plentyfish.com for turndavidgmai or connecting singles.com. I am 51 and have it under control but it should be called tumor neurosis factor as this condition is similar. Eating raw outer leaves of Brussels sprouts is healthy for cancer and may stop the spread. Article at Oregon State university has the information.
Hear is another article whom you may read or not..
Psoriasis: An Integrated Natural Approachby Thomas Bayne, DC
Published in "Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients" - October 2000
Psoriasis is an common inflammatory skin condition affecting approximately three million Americans, or slightly over 1% of population. It is usually characterized by a gradual onset of redness and scaling of the skin, most commonly in plaques. The condition appears between the ages of 10 and 40 in those with a family history. The most common areas for plaques are the elbows, knees, gluteal cleft and scalp. Fingernails are affected in about half of the patients. The condition can vary enormously in area affected, severity of symptoms and association with other conditions.
Causes
Psoriasis is linked to heredity. It is an immunological condition with dermal inflammation linked to angiogenesis and hyperkeratosis caused by accelerated epidermal turnovers. Flare-ups have been associated with prescription medication use, viral and bacterial infections, excessive alcohol consumption, obesity, lack of or overexposure to sunlight, stress, general poor health, and cold weather.(1)

Angiogenesis or neovascularization, the process, of new blood vessel formation, is a very tightly controlled process that rarely occurs under normal conditions, except for instances of wound healing, embryonic development and development of the corpus luteum.(2-6)

Psoriasis is associated with dilation of capillaries in its earliest stages, and in developed psoriatic lesions there is a proliferation of blood vessels and neovascularization.(7) Several histopathologic studies have established that increased vascularization precedes the development of psoriatic skin lesions. In addition, these studies have identified a marked increase in cutaneous blood flow at the active edge of the psoriatic plaques when compared to the inactive edge.(8)

Normal epidermal turnover, or the time it takes for the epidermis to replace itself, is 47-48 days.(9) In psoriasis this process takes only a few days, resulting in a build up of dead skin cells and the formation of the thick scales. Psoriasis may be aggravated by an injury such as bums, cuts, or bites.

Allopathic treatment
Allopathic treatment of psoriasis includes retinoids, psoralen in conjunction with long wave ultraviolet light (PUVA), methotrexate, and cyclosporine.(10-11) In addition, topical and oral corticostiroids are often prescribed.(12)

Holistic Treatment
For the holistic physician that employs a mindbody approach to restoring health there are three seemingly unrelated processes found in the patient with psoriasis. These are extreme acid/base balance problems, toxic build up, and vascular changes at the site of the skin lesion. This article will explain the interrelationship of these processes, and offer a comprehensive treatment approach, which includes dietary modifications to balance pH changes, systemic detoxification, and oral and topical anti-angiogenesis therapies.

80% of the daily food intake should come from the following:

Fresh Vegetables:
Daily intake should be 3 that grow above the ground to 1 that grows in the ground. Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots*, Celery*, Cucumbers, Garlic*, Lettuce* (Romaine in particular), Onions*, Parsnips, Scallions, Soybeans, Spinach*.

Sprouts*, String beans, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, and Watercress*.

Permitted in lesser quantities are:

White Corn, Dried Beans, Peas, Lentils, and Rhubarb).

Those foods marked with (*) are particularly important.

Fresh Fruit:

Apples (cooked), Apricots, Most Berries, Cherries, Dates, Figs (unsulphured), Grapes, Grapefruit, Lemons, Limes, Mango, Nectarines, Oranges, Papaya, Peaches, Pears, Pineapple, Small Fruits, etc.

Raw Apples, Melons and Bananas Are permitted provided they are eaten alone and sparingly.

Strawberries should be avoided by those with psoriatic arthritis.

Permitted in lesser quantities are:

Avocado, Cranberries, Currants, Large Prunes and Plums.

20% of the daily food intake should come from the following:

Grains:

All grains should be whole grain, natural products such as: Breads, Bagels, Muffins, Cereals, without preservatives or artificial sweeteners. (No while flour products).

Meats:

Chicken and Turkey (skinless white meat preferred).

Fresh Fish:

Cold, Salt water, White flesh varieties preferred

Lamb:

Trimmed of fat before cooking and well done. It is allowed twice per week.

Dairy:

Only Low Fat/Low Sodium products are permitted. Skim or low fat milk, cheese, buttermilk, and yogurt (no ice cream, cream toppings or whole milk products).

Butter:

Regular butter is permitted but only occasionally and in very sparing amounts.

Eggs:

2-4 per week are permitted any style except fried

All products high in saturated fat are to be avoided.

Do not have citrus fruits, or citrus juices with dairy products or cereals at the same meal
t is critical to regain proper pH or Acid/Alkaline balance in the psoriatic patient. The blood should be slightly alkaline. When diet pH is slightly alkaline there is proper absorption of nutrients from the body, increased immunity, and optimal health. Psoriasis is distinguished by overly acidic body chemistry that is the result of over consumption of acid forming foods and the re-circulation of toxins from the intestinal tract.(13) We will focus now on the dietary aspect and discuss the role of the intestines in detail later in the article. In order to control the acid/alkaline balance it has been proposed that a diet consisting of 80% alkaline forming foods and 20% acid forming foods should be implemented.(13) Dr. John Pagano first put this concept forth in his book. Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative. This diet has clinically shown the ability to reverse add/alkaline imbalances, decrease water retention, improve digestion and absorption, and normalize bowel function. The following table gives a breakdown of the permitted foods.(13)

Once the diet has been implemented it becomes necessary to begin the process of detoxification. Systemic detoxification must begin in the intestines. Studies have shown that a number of intestinal toxins have been recognized in psoriasis sufferers. Some of these toxins include putrified proteins, rancid fats, byproducts of pathologic bacteria, Candida Albicans and other fungi, yeast compounds, and immune complexes.(14-16) Therapy must focus on cleansing and then repairing the bowel. The high colonic irrigation is the fastest and most efficient way of cleaning the bowel of the psoriasis patient. Combining the high fiber diet with a course of colonic irritations will eliminate the intestinal endotoxins, and provide an environment that will allow the beneficial probiotic bacteria to thrive.

One of the long-term side effects of intestinal toxicity is decreased liver function. Alcohol is known to significantly worsen psoriasis.(17) As toxins build up in die intestines the lining of the intestines becomes damaged and permeable. These toxins are then absorbed into the portal circulation where they must be filtered by the liver and eliminated, adding further to me burden of the liver. Alcohol increases the absorption of toxins from the gut and impairs liver function. Psoriasis patients consistently show abnormal liver function on functional laboratory assessments, and benefit greatly through correction of liver function.(18)

Natural Antiangiogenic Approach

Cartilage is an avascular tissue that has been studied for its potential antiangiogenic properties. Studies have proven that extracts of cartilage inhibit endothelial migration and proliferation in vitro,(19-23) embryonic neovascularization in ex ovo models,(23-27) and tumor-induced angiogenesis in vivo in a rabbit eye-perfusion model.(28) Other studies have demonstrated that cartilage extracts have anti-inflammatory properties that increased the speed of wound healing, and that they were potent inhibitors of collagenase activity. Studies have shown that cartilage extracts applied topically in a blinded right vs. left comparison have demonstrated efficacy in the treatment of psoriasis. As a result of these studies cartilage extracts represent a novel approach in the treatment of psoriasis when used both topically and orally.

Case Study

B.W. presented with a 25-year history of psoriasis. For the first 19 years the psoriasis was mild and easily concealed by clothing. Over the last six years the psoriasis had progressively worsened. In B.W.'s own words " ..as my marriage worsens, my psoriasis worsens." At the initial exam B.W. was covered with severe psoriasis from the shoulders down. There were mild psoriatic lesions behind her left ear. B.W. began a comprehensive program, which included the alcalizing diet, an herbal bowel cleanser, oral CarTCell shark cartilage extract, and Dermanex topical cream. CarTCell was prescribed at a dose of two vials per day for the first two weeks and one vial per day thereafter. Due to the strong correlation between the patients psoriasis and emotional stress it was recommended that B.W. and her husband concurrently seek marriage counseling. After two weeks the severity of the lesions was markedly diminished. The Dermanex cream provided immediate symptomatic relief. At this time, high colonic irrigation therapy was implemented at a rate of one per week for six weeks. Over the following six weeks B.W. lost 18 lbs. and the psoriatic lesions improved by 50%. B.W. was then started on a six-week liver detoxification program. At the end of the six weeks B.W. had an 80% improvement in her psoriasis. This was concurrent with her leaving her husband and experiencing tremendous emotional stress. At this time the dose of CarTCell was decreased to two vials per month. Dermanex was applied liberally to the remaining lesions', which were concentrated on the elbows, heels of the feet, and a baseball-sized patch on her back. Over the next three months B.W.'s psoriasis slowly disappeared. Twelve months later B.W. remains psoriasis free. She has adopted her new eating program as a way of life, and follows a maintenance program to ensure proper bowel and liver function.

Conclusion

Psoriasis is a multifactoral condition that requires a comprehensive treatment approach. Dermanex cream, a proprietary topical solution available only to health care professionals, offers the immediate benefits of decreasing inflammation and itching to the localized area. Dermanex works by inhibiting new blood vessel growth, which is the primary histopathological change associated with psoriatic lesions when compared to normal skin. Combining Dermanex cream with oral angiogenesis inhibitors such as CarTCell attacks the lesion from both the inside and outside. Used in conjunction with a dietary program designed to balance systemic pH, and simultaneously detoxifying both the intestines and the liver, provides the psoriasis sufferer with a treatment option unparalleled in modem medical practice.

References

S.Robbins and R. Cotran. Pathological Basis of Disease (Philadelphia:WB Saunclers, 1979)

Jakob, N, et al. Exp. Pathol Bd. (1977)13:231-6

Gospodarowicz, D, et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci. USA. (1978) 75, 847-51

Hunt.TK. et al. The Surgical Wound. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, PA. (1981): 1-18

Wagner, RC. Adv Microcirc. (1980): 9;45-75

Bar, Th. Advances in Anatomy, Embryology, and Cell Biology. Springer-Veriag, Berlin and New York, 1-62

Dupont, E, et al. "Angiogenic Properties of a Novel Shark Cartilage Extract: Potential Role in the Treatment of Psoriasis." J of Cut Med and Surg; vol 2; 3, 1998

Telner P, Fikete, Z. "The Capillary Responses in Psoriatiic Skin," J Invest Dermatol (1961); 36:225-30

Lizuka, H. "Epidermal turnover time," J Dermatol Sci. 1994, Dec 8:3, 215-7

Nonby, K. "Cyclosporine is angiostatic," Experientia 1992 1135-8

Lipman, RM, et al. "Suppression of corneal neovascularization with cyclosporine," Arch Optnalmol 1992; 110: 405-7

Folkman, J. Ingber DE. "Angiostatic steroids." Ann Surg 1987; 206:374-83

Pagano, John Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative. ThePagano Organization, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1991.

Rosenberg. E. et al. "Microbial factors in psoriasis," Arch Dermatol 118 (1982):1434-44

Rao. M. Field. M. "Enterotoxins and Antioxidants," 12 (1984) 177-80

Juhlim, L. et al. " The Influence of Treatment and Fibrin Microclot Generation in Psoriasis." Br J Dermatol 108 (1983): 33-7

Monk, BE. Neill, SM. "Alcohol Consumption and Psoriasis " Dermatolgica 173 (1986): 57-60

Weber, G. Galle. K. "The Liver, a Therapeutic Target in Dermatoses" Med Welt 34(1983): 108-11

Einstein, R, et al. "The Resistance of Certain Tissues to Invasion, Cartilage Extracts Inhibit the Growth of Fibroblasts and Endothelial Cells in Culture. Am J Pathol (1975); 81:337-47

Pauli, BU, et al. " Regulator of Tumor Invasion by Cartilage-derived Anti-invasion Factor in vitro," J Natl Cancer Inst (1981); 67:65-73

Moses, MA, et al. "Isolation and Characterization of an Inhibitor of Neovascularization from Scapular Chondrocytes," J Cell Biol (1992); 119:475-82

McGuire, TR, et al. "Antiproliferative Activity of Shark Cartilage with and without Tumor necrosis factor alpha in humans umbilical vein endothelium," Pharmacother (1996); 16:237-44

Lee, A, Langer, R Shark Cartilage contains inhibitors of tumor angiogenesis. Science 1983; 221:1185-7

Folkman, J, Klagsburn, M. Angiogenic factors. Science 1987; 235: 442-8

Moses, MA, et al. Identification of an inhibitor of neovascularization from cartilage. Science 1990; 248: 1408-10

Oikawa, T, et al. A novel angiogenic inhibitor derived from Japanese shark cartilage. I. Extraction and estimation of inhibitory activities toward tumor and embrionic angiogenesis. Cancer Lett 1990; 51:181-5

Moses, MA, et al. A cartilage-derived inhibitor of neovascularization and metalloproteinases. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1993; 11 (Supp8): 567-9

Langer, R, et al. Control of tumor growth in animals by infusion of an angiogenic inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1980; 77:4331-5

Preparation is already available on-line
 ted33063
Msg: 33
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 7/20/2010 1:07:12 AM
i know exactly what you're going through. i am in the same boat. psoriasis originally hit me in my early 20's. i moved from connecticut to southeast florida, spent quite a bit of time at the beach, and as you probably know, the sun does wonders for clearing it up. it completely went away for a long time. now it has resurfaced in my mid-40's and i'm battling with it again. not as bad as the first time, but it's embarrassing any way you slice it. i don't have as much free time to get back to the beach so i'm thinking about trying a tanning salon. UV seems to work best for me.

ted.
 SilaBear
Msg: 34
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/7/2010 5:41:08 PM
hey all,

I'm well acquainted with psoriasis, my ex had it and it was tough for him to deal with. Here are some things I learned:

1. If you have psoriasis on your scalp, try coating the scales with olive oil. Leave the oil on for a bit, then the scales will peel off. Apparently it feels heavenly when the scales come off.

2. My ex tried variety of natural, and dermatologist prescribed cures. To be honest, after a while they all stop working. The best way to control it is to get some sun, watch what you eat, and try not to stress out.

These are some of the cures that my ex used for his psoriasis, applying coal tar on the scales, using cod liver oil (I think it was called Udo's Choice), a cream from a company in South Africa...Leda something.

In the end he had a lot of success with a very expensive drug which he took intravenously. This medicine had dramatic effects and cleared up his condition almost overnight. But the problem was that the cost (about $30K per year - luckily his medical plan covered it). I also noticed that after using this drug for a year, his skin started looking like pizza dough - it lost it's elasticity and it got kinda baggy. Plus the side effect included liver damage.

I think the best book he read on psoriasis was called "Healing Psoriasis from Within". It dealt with diet, excercise and stress. My ex found a great chiropractor who put him on an elimination diet. While he was on this diet, he discovered that when he ate certain foods (tomatoes, pork) his psoriasis flared up.

I hope this information helps someone,
 SilaBear
Msg: 35
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/7/2010 5:45:40 PM
.....oh, colonic irrigation helped too.
 veganluv
Msg: 38
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/21/2010 11:40:35 PM
go on a raw food vegan diet... it will disappear!
 satx78218
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/22/2010 6:32:47 PM
I really like this guy Al Seras. From one of his newsletters that mentions unhealthy liver affecting psoriasis:

If you’re overweight, you have a 200 percent greater risk of liver damage.

If you’re obese (body mass index over 30), you’re 400 percent more likely to develop liver damage than a normal-weight individual.1

Most of my patients figure as long as they don’t overuse alcohol or drugs, their liver is safe.

But alcohol isn’t your biggest worry.

Evidence suggests that alcohol contributes to only 6% of liver damage.

But obesity alone contributes to 52% of liver disease.2

When an overweight person drinks, the chances of liver damage increase dramatically.

For example, a normal-weight individual who consumes two or more drinks a day has a two-fold risk of liver damage. While an obese person with the same drinking habits has a 5.9-fold increase.

That’s almost a 600 percent increase in risk of getting liver disease.

This is bad news. Your liver is the most overlooked and often ignored organ in your body. But it’s arguably the most important.

Your liver:
Manufactures a full quart of bile daily to break down fat. Bile is the yellowish-green fluid that’s produced in your liver and stored in your gallbladder. Bile also plays an essential role in emulsifying – or breaking down – the fats you eat. Think of bile as a detergent that gets rid of grease from your dishes.

Filters harmful toxins and substances (including alcohol) out of nearly 100 gallons of blood every day and allows nutrients to get to your cells.

Produces more than 13,000 crucial chemicals and hormones including cholesterol, testosterone, and estrogen. Plus, your liver manages over 50,000 enzymes to maintain a healthy body.

Regulates blood sugar levels and prevents dangerous spikes and lows.

Stores essential vitamins and minerals – including vitamins A, D, K, and B12 – to help keep your bones from crumbling.

Detoxifies all internal and external environmental pollutants. If your liver didn’t continually remove metabolic trash and toxins from your blood, you would be dead in a matter of hours.

Even more important than what your liver does, is what happens when your liver is not working properly.

To get rid of all the waste, your liver will create balls of fat that collect in the liver itself. (This is the start of a “fatty liver.”) Those fats will also spill into your blood in the form of triglycerides, which boost your risk of a heart attack.

Your liver will also move those toxins to different places in your body, including your skin. In fact, many skin conditions like dandruff and psoriasis are tell-tale signs of a sick liver.

All of this contributes to a systemic poisoning that zaps your strength, vitality – even your sex drive. Chronic fatigue, high blood pressure, autoimmune disorders, and “problems in the bedroom,” often have a connection to a sluggish or sick liver.

If you haven’t started on a weight-reduction plan, get started today. It doesn’t have to be difficult. My most important rule of healthy weight reduction is simply to eat foods in their natural, unadulterated forms. That includes red meat, fish, poultry, dairy, eggs, most vegetables, most fruits, and nuts.3

Avoid anything processed or refined. And start a heart healthy exercise program – like my PACE program, which I’ve discussed in previous letters. You can start out easy with just a few walks around the block – just 10 minutes of variable intensity exercise each day.

In addition, you can also detox your liver.

Your liver wasn’t designed to function in a world full of toxins and other deadly agents. You need to give it a good cleaning at least twice a year, even if your liver is perfectly healthy.

My colleague Dr. Michael Cutler has an effective option for liver detox called Liver & Kidney Cleanse™.

With Liver & Kidney Cleanse™, you get a unique, scientifically formulated combination of 10 powerful nutrients to help unclog your liver and help eliminate dangerous toxins from alcohol... prescription drugs... household chemicals... processed foods, and more.

The ingredients in Liver & Kidney Cleanse™ are clinically proven to help your liver. I can recommend it wholeheartedly because I know this combination is effective and does what it says it will do… clean and protect your liver and kidneys.

I urge you to learn more, directly from Dr. Cutler himself. Click here…

To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD
 satx78218
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/22/2010 6:39:29 PM
http://hsibaltimore.com/2010/06/07/psoriasis/

and from an HSI newsletter:

I learn something new from our members just about every day. (Misspellings? Grammatical errors? Oh yeah, I hear about them.) But recently I learned about a couple of natural techniques for treating psoriasis.

In "Sources of Relief," I shared Angus's tip for treating psoriasis with milk thistle.

After I sent you that e-mail, I heard from two more of you...

Carol: "I had psoriasis and it is caused by a lack of fumaric acid in the system. Within 3 days I was back to normal after taking it."

Don: "You're missing one of the best natural cures for psoriasis, kukui nut oil from Hawaii. I had a bout of psoriasis a number of years ago, scratching until I bled. Ten days of topical application of kukui oil cleared it up completely...no recurrence."

Just one word of caution--psoriasis is an immune system disease. A treatment that works for one patient will not work for all patients.

To Your Good Health,

Jenny Thompson
 dalek1967
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/5/2011 7:39:12 AM
I have had psoriasis for most of my life. I have a very severe case of it. All the treatments, including light, have made it worse. The Drs several years ago said there was nothing to try. Thing is, they have new meds out and I'm not willing to try them for fear of it making it even worse than it is now. I'm at about 70% right now.

Dating, it's about a no results game. I'm disabled from this mess and it is unsightly to say the least. Staying single is starting to look better. The one marriage I did have left me with some serious trust issues, as if I don't have enough to deal with already.

Having psoriasis is just not good.
 Bronxtaino9
Msg: 42
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/28/2011 2:27:59 AM
All skin disorders are mainly blood disorders. If you want to rid of a skin disorder such as Psoriasis, you should try to work on the inside of your body and cleanse the blood. An acidic diet are the main causes of skin disorders so you should try to change up the diet and eat more alkaline foods and waters. Plenty of raw fruits and vegetables and lots of sweating will help the pours eliminate any toxins in the skin such as hot saunas, facial steaming, hot baths, cardio, yoga etc etc.. Also try and stay away from commercial soaps and lotions because they have a lot of synthetic ingredients in them that are acidic and cause damage to the skin. Try to find a more natural soap made out of shea butter, oats, coconut butter etc etc...
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 43
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/28/2011 1:34:43 PM

All skin disorders are mainly blood disorders. If you want to rid of a skin disorder such as Psoriasis, you should try to work on the inside of your body and cleanse the blood...

Cleanse the blood?

Are you saying our blood gets dirty?

...Plenty of raw fruits and vegetables and lots of sweating will help the pours eliminate any toxins in the skin such as hot saunas, facial steaming, hot baths, cardio, yoga etc etc..

What toxins are in our skin that we need to eliminate?
 ZanynCute
Msg: 44
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/29/2011 3:10:10 AM
Of the 500 plus processes our livers do daily, one of the biggest is Detoxifying our blood.

The blood is constantly riddled by toxins. Every human being alive has toxins in their body. Toxin = poison = dirty blood. The answer to your first question is a resounding Yes.

What toxins are in our skin? Well gee....Laundry soap, perfumes/colognes, dish soap on our hands, bath soap, pollutants in the air, the food we eat, the beverages we drink etc.

Our skin is our largest organ and biggest line of defense from the outside world. Of course its bombarded daily from toxins from almost everywhere. Not every single human beings skin will be as permeable to the outside world, but not a single human being is immune from it either.

The skin takes in and excretes toxins constantly. Just like the liver.
 DTFan88
Msg: 45
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/29/2011 8:57:44 AM
There is a lot of good info in this thread. I get psoriasis mostly in my scalp areas, sideburns, eyebrows, and left side of my nose. I use medicated shampoos from time to time (usually having to change brands every so often that have different ingredients). I think the people that talked about ph levels are right on. I never had myself tested but suspect that my body would probably show too acidic due to my diet. For about a month now though I started drinking a lot of lemon juice mixed in a water bottle. I actually don't mind the taste even though it takes some getting used to at first. Since lemons are highly alkaline I thought that would be the best method for me to alter my intake. I noticed that the white patches (oral thrush) that were on my tongue have largely dissipated and the flakiness on my scalp is less severe. I tried putting the lemon juice on topically also and it felt like it cleared a lot of the flakiness as well.

I thought I read somewhere that psoriasis is a type of fungal infection and that fungus cannot survive in an alkaline environment, but others have stated on here that it is an auto-immune disease instead. In any regard I've heard that researchers in Europe have achieved more success in treating cancer patients by also putting them on higher alkaline diets (in addition to using traditional cancer methods such as chemo and radiation). There isn't enough data yet but many researchers believe that fungal infections are a precursor to getting cancer.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 46
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/29/2011 10:16:06 AM

The skin takes in and excretes toxins constantly. Just like the liver.

FYI:

Though the sweat may contain a trace amount of metabolic wastes, sweating is an active process of secretion not excretion, specifically for temperature control and pheromone release.

Therefore, its role as a part of the excretory system is minimal at best.

Specifically, the skin secretes a fluid waste called sweat, or perspiration.

Source: Excretory system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excretory_system
 ZanynCute
Msg: 47
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/29/2011 8:19:43 PM
I Repeat.....The skin takes IN and ExCRETES toxins constantly.

Sweating is an active process of secretion?.....Duh Frank.
I spoke nothing of sweat. Or temperature control. Or pheromones. I didnt need to, I made one point and one point only.

Again. I repeat. The skin takes in and excretes toxins constantly. Thats it, thats all. That one sentence. Are you with me Frank?

Dont try and break it down to something ridiculously nitpicky to try and save face. Its weak.

If you werent aware blood does get *dirty* just say so.
If you werent aware skin holds and secretes toxins just say so.

Last but surely not least....with your background in medicine.....I remember specifically reading a post where you stated to another poster * You were a doctor and she was just not smart enough to see this fact* Given this background and education......How are you quoting from Wikipedia with a straight face?

Slap yourself Frank. Middle schoolers are taught to never do this and if so, their work will not be accepted as Wikipedia is a ridiculously unreliable source. How did you miss this as an adult in Med school??

Do your own research Frank. Google/Bing Wikipedia as an unreliable source. Good Lord theres publication everywhere speaking of this especially in Academics. You should know better.

Borrowing a quote from yourself " I'll take trying to save face and losing on POF forums for $800 alex"

FrankNStein902
Msg: 48
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/30/2011 5:59:09 AM

I Repeat.....The skin takes IN and ExCRETES toxins constantly.

Sweating is an active process of secretion?.....Duh Frank.

Sorry my mistake I assumed you where smart enough to understand the difference between secretion and excretion.

So if my source is not credible, please provide another that supports your point.

Educate us on how the skin works.

As for the rest of your rant and attempts at insulting me, you stay classy.
 Sunshineonutoday
Msg: 50
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 3/28/2012 10:36:40 PM
If u have a M & R feed,u could go get a can of what they call Bag Bomb,it is used on cows after milking.
Was told about it fr a Dr.used on eczema & psoriasis,results were unbelievable .
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 4/11/2012 7:00:33 PM
SALAD DRESSING AND COLONIC CLEANSING.

How's that for a kinky sounding start? There has been a lot of good information posted on this thread. I would like to share my experience with psoriasis, and hopefully others can benefit.

What is the largest organ of the body? Hmm...the liver maybe ...err...heart...NO..the largest organ is the skin. The skin helps to excrete toxins, which has been covered by many on this thread. Have you ever smelled someone who stunk with body odor, just after they showered; or you call smell feces on their breathe. If the colon is impacted, full of waste, and the body cannot remove these toxins out the back door, then the body tries to eliminate them through the skin.
If you have ever gone on a colonic cleansing, or a detoxification regimen, then you will be familiar with cleansing reactions; when the toxins stored in your body are released. Whatever ails you, or even old injuries that you've forgotten about, gets worse, and then gets better. Physician, psoriasis sufferer, heal thyself. First cleanse out thy
sewage system.

Now, about the salad dressing. Whenever I feel the itch, I use apple cider vinegar. It is non-toxic. You can drink it. It is good for everything. It helps stock the itch. To aid healing, I use olive oil. Again, same story, non-toxic, you can drink it, and good for lots of ailments. So the story continues. Someone visits my bathroom, and they return and pose a question. "hey,I know that you are kinda kinky, but what's with the salad dressing in the bathroom.?"-
 TweenAmation
Msg: 52
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 6/19/2012 5:47:40 PM
Psorasis is a real blessing, it keeps one humble and disinvolved from the usual mischief most people go through with relationships. Us dragons just stick to our own layers and try and find our inner wealth and contentment, I would hate to pass on such monsterous genes anyhow.
 TheReason_
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:50:09 PM
I remember crying as a kid when I was diagnosed. Somewhere around 11 or 12. It would get better or worse. I would be dying in 35C weather wearing jeans and long sleeves, but I didn't want it to be seen. I remember being scared to show a long time girlfriend (we had just started dating) because I was so ashamed. I told her I wasn't normal. She said "what's normal anyway" and was perfectly fine with it. My ex-wife was ok with it as well. In fact, everyone I've ever dated had no problems at all with it.

It was just me that had the issues.

I take methotrexate for mine, and get lots of sun. When I take the methotrexate regularly (as perscribed) it pretty much goes away. I'm not a real sunworshipper, and I hate my tan, but that's a whole other can of worms lol. It's a bit hard on your liver, so when I go off it, it gives my liver a chance to recoup. The nice thing is this.

As you all know, it's accelerated skin cell production, so an offshoot ironically, is that I have no wrinkles at all, at 42.

None.

So it's not all bad.

These days I know the sun helps, I really should start up on the meth again, but it makes me feel a bit nauseous. I keep my skin moisturized, and my girlfriend has given me the nickname "Tinman" because I'm always "oiling up" lol I find it a cute nickname and don't mind it at all. I even went swimming in public 2 years ago, which I never in my wildest dreams ever thought would happen.

So do what you have to do, what is "normal" anyway.

Sincerely:

Tinman.

;)
 smilie63
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/26/2013 5:40:48 PM
Hello how are you..my name is Les I would like to know more about you...
 posh_cosh
Msg: 55
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 8/31/2014 9:53:46 AM
Don't worry about that guy. He sounds like he is having
A bad day and taking it out on you . There is no
Right or wrong, we are all learning. Keep sharing views
As you' see it :)
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >