Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Ontario Disability support program      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Diggy03
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Ontario Disability support programPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Well I just spoke to him. I again asked him why they want him to come after me. He said he doesn't know why and that it's because I am working? huh?

So I said to him that he never has any straight answers for me, and because he mentioned he has an appointment with them in January he had better have some answers for me after his meeting or I will call them for some answers. He said and very sternly "Don't call them or else you'll fvck me up." So I asked him what is he doing that will fvck him up, and mentioned that if he is doing anything illegally he better get it straightened out before it affects me as I will not stand for it. He then responds with I'll talk to you later and hangs up on me.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

EDIT: Sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t... doesn't he THINK!!!!!! OMG.... what if he does screw me along with him????? But why can I NOT call on him? WTF am I so scared of??????
 Diggy03
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Ontario Disability support program
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:31:03 AM
Thanx malcolm

I'm still sticking to my post about giving him the ultimatum to get me some answers first. Let's see how much of a man he truly is if he is fvcking the system. I honestly believe that as a grown man he doesn't need me to tattle on him... he is quite capable of screwing himself over.... especially with no help.

It has never ceased to amaze me how alcoholics construe things to suit their reality... sad to tell you the true.
 miss_allison
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:21:26 AM
i know of someone who tried to scam the system in a similar manner
they got busted

this is how it was resolved

they were ordered to either pay the fraudulent money back
OR
go to jail

additionally, because they did commit fraud - it made them disqualified from recieving any funds from ODSP - in other words - hes gonna have to pay it all back and wont be able to get money from them in the future - end of story

i would say the fact that he says it will "screw him up" is a definate tip that hes committing fraud - i say if it were me, i'd be telling him to either

1) tell ODSP that he no longer has custody effective immediately and go to the amount he should be recieving as a single individual
and if he doesnt do that IMMEDIATELY
that you will
2) report him to ODSP for fraud
 DJ_Lil_Jay
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2005 9:28:27 PM
yes that is correct sunnshine! Good advice

diggy: I am sorry to have missed your thread until now but I am glad others have posted their advice and support.

I have been receiving odsp before it was even called that lol. So if you have any questions on this at all please get in touch with me I will inform you of everything you need to know about this program.
 sillychick
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:06:34 PM
Anyone on ODSP is forced to go after spousal support. It doesn't mean they will get it but they make them jump thru all the hoops. If they don't think he could get at least $100 spousal support from you they won't even make him do it. That's why they ask the questions they do. You don't have to provide him with anything but then they might file a motion to have it heard before a judge. He'll get legal aid thru them and then you either get a lawyer or represent yourself.
 tnt25ae
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:26:33 PM
This might be off topic too. I pay taxes so if something happens that I can no longer work, there is something to help me through. That is why the taxpayers should be footing the bill. Some people have things wrong with them and can't work. I as a taxpayer have no problem with my money going to help these people. Rather them then pensions for MP'S or MPP's.
 sillychick
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:33:26 PM
Spouse or ex spouse it makes no difference. You are entitled to go after spousal support even after you divorce someone. It might not seem fair but it's the law. Only way to get a former spouse out of your life for good is from death.
 sillychick
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:38:22 PM
I have nothing against people that require it at all but if people have spouses that should be supporting them then by all rights they should support them. ODSP payments are very little if you are a single person with no dependants. They are not getting rich off it that's for sure.
 sillychick
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:53:11 PM
If you are permanently disabled and paid into CPP then apply there. That's the one working people go after not ODSP anyway. And trust me shappy they do make you go after the ex for spousal support if they think you will get a minimum of $100 per month from him or her. They are trying to lower what the taxpayers pay out and that's why they do it. You lay a claim to you ex for life...like it not it's fact..talk to a lawyer and you'll see. All depends on what court heard your original agreement.
 tnt25ae
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:56:19 PM
I agree with sillychick. If they were with someone that was disabled before, they knew going in. If they left because of the disabilty, they sure should pay. I would hope that if I loved someone enough to be with them, and something happened, I would be there for them. If not then I definitly should be help with cost for this person.
 sillychick
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:48:29 AM
Malcolm, they do a review every few years and some lucky people go 10 yrs without a review. They just update all the info to make sure everything you originally stated is still the same. You get a package in the mail with all the required info you either must submit ahead of time or you need to have handy if they r doing a phone review. It's mostly all financial stuff they are interested in and not the actual disability. It's usually a breeze. Can you tell I help people on ODSP get this shit together since most are not capable of doing it alone let alone understand exactly what is being asked of them.
 sillychick
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:51:50 AM
I just helped someone get ready for their review and they had to have their bank book for the past 12 months, any outstanding debts over $500, any life insurance policies, rent receipts if applicable. It was a pretty basic review.
 DJ_Lil_Jay
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2006 10:33:05 PM
like I said before I have been on ODSP for a while and the review process sure is fun and I keep everything I can as far as my bank account and all that stuff! Its kinda like being audited I bet lol

I used to work full time but not anymore and this is why:

in most cases a full time salary is more than what odsp will allow you per month and they cut you right off their system! I had a year contract job and it wasnt renewed and so I had to go back on ODSP but it didnt happen as quickly as I had expected. I had to go through all the forms to prove medically I had a disability and to get my drug/dental coverage. That sure was fun lol

Make sure that you report all income per month so they can determine how much you get each month from odsp.

A friend of mine not sure if he got caught yet but failed to report his income! They cut ya off it if you make a boo boo like that.
 father3
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2006 1:06:50 AM
In Ontario, and Canada for that matter, there is an assumption in family law that a former spouse will eventually become financially self-sufficient, depending on many factors. That is why MOST spousal support orders are reviewed over time, and most are given time limits. The exception to this assumption is where one spouse becomes disabled during the relationship. Then there is case law where the non-disabled spouse has a lifelong financial obligation to the disabled spouse. If that is your case, then the ODSP would definitely be after your ex-spouse to go after you for spousal support.
 Vintage Princess
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/15/2007 11:29:05 PM
Oh that freaking system.
ODSP is evil I tells you.
 Diggy03
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 12:18:36 PM
mspinkest,

Thank you for the info. you mention a few times there is more I'm not telling you. I can't think of what (I also tried to msg you privately but your settings don't allow me to).

I left him in 2004, so it's been much longer than a year that I haven't been with him.

I did see a lawyer about taking him to court and was advised NOT to. In a private msg I can explain why. That goes for anyone else who may interested in why.
 Diggy03
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2007 8:32:55 AM
I owe you all a bit of an update. And I thank you for all of your advice.

In all honesty I haven't done anything about this. There is no reason why I should stress myself out over it when technically it is his problem. I'm not on the assistance HE is. I'm not lying to the goevernment HE is. The worst thing he can do is lose his ODSP and then he'll have to work for a living like most of society. Boo Hoo!

Sorry to sound bitter. I'm not, I just don't know how else to convey what I think of all this.

It's been quite some time since I heard from him, which isn't a bad thing, and I don't call him.

I do believe the next time he brings this up or says anything I'll just calmly not say anything and when I get off the phone with him make a few calls. I mean it can't hurt!
 Just 4 You
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 1:20:16 AM
I have Epilepsy and 4 years ago I was dating a woman who also has it. Together, we helped each other in our time of need, and tried to reason with people who instantly call 911, that it's NOT a Heart Attack! Together with her parents and mine, we had many family dinners together.

In 2007, at a joint Christmas dinner with her family and mine, out came the Cameras as I Proposed and She Accepted! Sounds great? Read on!!!

After filling in all the forms for a Marriage License, I got a call from the Police! They claimed that when someone has a seizure, they can't speak, thus giving them the mind of a child, and legally... children cannot give consent! Therefore, my trying to marry a woman with seizures is a crime!

At my day in Court, she and her parents had nothing against me, and her University Degree showed she's definitely Not mentally challenged! There was also no evidence of me harming her in any way! In turn, the Judge threw the case out and ordered the Crown to provide me with Counselling.

Instead, the Crown (Police) said the only type of Counselling they could find for Men, was the Sex Offender Program (even though I'm not an offender) where I was sent to Learn, Understand, and Accept that it's Wrong for people with disabilities to be in a relationship.

(Victoria, BC)
 highdefinitition
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/29/2011 3:36:23 PM
ODSP does not operate that way, what they do is if your spouse that is you if your working anything you make over $360.00/mth is deducted off his ODSP cheque that is if you both live together........ but if your seperated he has no right to your money, he is just trying to con you call ODSP and tell them what he is saying or better yet tell your ex that you are going to call them and find out why you have to pay him.....i think he will back off he doesn't ODSP will do something
 BlueIrisheyes2
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/29/2011 9:03:51 PM
Hi
I Am asocial service worker but NOT with ODSP. When someone is appling for getting benifets with ODSP or OW they have a legal obligation to apply and persue any money that they may be entitled to.such as child/spousal support.He would have been obligated to apply for CCP disabilty. It doesn't matter if he gets cppd, he just has to apply. Most people who apply for CPPD are turned down.what they really are after is spousal support . But try not to worry and I think he is probably telling the truth, But if they know the situation (abuse) they usually don't go after it...hope this helps.
 ladysweet52
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/5/2011 3:16:19 PM
I agree with highdefinition completely and I think you should follow their advice, I think you should also have a talk with the police in your area about it, too! If you do give him part of your earnings, it could bring his total assets above the $5000.00 mark and if O.D.S.P. finds out, they will cut him off his pension, his total assets must remain below the $5000.00 mark, in order for him to collect his pension! I'm not joking, it happens to be the truth, so do as highdefiniton says and notify O.D.S.P. about what he is up to, okay? And don't forget the police because I am pretty sure what your ex is doing is illegal, anyway! Besides, I think you've got the upper hand in this and not your ex, good luck in whatever you do about it!
 want to travel
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 9:04:55 AM
OP< You both sound like you are scamer 's...
uttering a threat, give me a break,
having him arrested, once again give me a break
I have a friend who works at a woman's shelter, and she has told me about women like you...
my brother in law is a Cop, he has told me all about people like you
my sons mother is a police detective, and he has told me about people like you!
 ladysweet52
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:58:27 PM
I totally disagree with this want to travel guy, he obviously doesn`t know what he is talking about, which isn`t new! I strongly suggest that this want to travel guy should contact O.D.S.P., before spouting off what he says and he will find out differently but I doubt if he will, he hasn`t got the guts to! He doesn`t sound very mature, anyway!
 Fun Guy 48
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/15/2011 4:50:02 AM
Dear, you have a defacto nothing. And probaly no separation agreement either. He can file for custody which takes 30 days max and walk off with your kid. How are you going to file the child as a dependant on your taxes? Or even get baby bonus? you can't. Is the child attending school so that you can prove you have it?. You can get extra monetary help from sociall assistance that way even if you haven't got full custody yet. Be careful too about criminal matters that can come up.Family courts and criminal courts are two very different animals that don't mix. Under the Ontario Childrens law reform act, if he should ever allege that you made any kind of threat to him, then under zero tolerance, the cops lay a charge and the courts work this out. it typically takes over a year to resolve a criminal matter, or even minimum 3 months to have it throw out at pre-trial for lack of evidence. The issue is that while this is ongoing and unresolved you CANNOT EVEN RESPOND TO A CUSTODY HEARING AT ALL until it's fully resolved.So if he pulls a fast one like that and files for custody the day after the charge-he wins sole custody automatically 30 days later. There's nothing you could do. I lost two sons this way ,I know, and I had the charge dropped for lack of evidence but not before she got them. File now and don't give him heads up. Also tell welfare and/or ODSP your dilema. You can't even get support or taxes or nothing. Incidentally if an ODSP recipient is in jail more than 90 days they are cut off and have to reapply. Phil Francois/ Fun guy 48.
 L,A, Woman
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/13/2013 7:54:16 PM
ODSP just wants to make sure he has exhausted all his ways to obtain money from other sources. I dont' think they could make you pay support. But, if you knew he was disabled from the beginning, maybe. IF you knew his condition and accepted it as part of your life then they might have a case. You cannot talk about his case to a worker anyway as they are bound by confidentiality. You can talk about you but not about him. By law, he is the only one able to talk about anything to do with him.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Ontario Disability support program