Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 63
view profile
History
What vitamins do you take?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have no health issues. No meds.

Good diet, exercise. Zero vitamins or other supplements. Play soccer twice a week, hockey, run every second day.

No need for peeing enriched urine that adds zip or next to zip to ones health.

Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 64
view profile
History
What vitamins do you take?
Posted: 1/13/2015 3:18:26 AM
^^^^^^

You are fortunate, but things can change (in what seems like overnight) at times.
I hope it doesn't for you.

My old dog even takes supplements and on a more alkaline forming diet. That's made a huge difference in her mobility and digestive health in the last 4 years..
Grain /meat free basic formula, meat/grain free whole food treats, sulfur and salmon oil supplementation (also orange veggies, apples and greens.Her x rays show she shouldn't be able to walk much (much less climb steps) yet she can right now.

Yes, I think the diet is the most important thing and moving daily, but unfortunately she has issues as many of us do that need some supplementation to feel our best.

After 40/45 we also can have lower digestive enzymes or less stomach acid ( which can have symptoms like heartburn or acid reflux after mixing to many food groups and should try food combining 30 days), maybe take a bit of vinegar water before meals and get off those tums and heartburn meds.We wont absorb a lot of nutrients in foods esp if not eating fat with certain foods.

Have you looked in the ave *medicine cabinet* today?
Tylenol, Advil, NyQuil, benadryl,tums, the *purple pill*, name it, its ridiculous.
Then the RX's, the ave is 4-8 depending on age that I have seen in the over 55 group.

Anyhoo, glad you are having great health and find you haven't needed anything.
You are rare.

AA, I do not sell supplements anymore and haven't for 5/6 years ,but that doesnt mean I wont recommend a few once an evaluation is complete and consulting their health care provider (esp) when I deal with women of a certain age more than anyone else( many sugar/carb addicts and stressed out women during and after menopause or suffering from obesity with aches and pains).

Biggest obstacle is they want a quick fix that an Rx will give them (even if just in their minds because a Dr suggested it or the DR. filled a script the patient saw on TV and they want it.)
Second is wanting to lose belly fat but on a statin when in their case no indication of benefit is there but a high LDL or wont eat good fats because they feel fat makes them fat or will cause elevated LDL.
Third, they think a change in diet should change *them* or their cravings in 5 days.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/13/2015 10:36:54 AM

You are rare.

And I'm even rarer.

Now, where's my donuts?
 activemelaney
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 1:19:35 PM
^^^midnite.

Good advice on the salt such as draining olives and such.. Also best not to finish that bit of broth at the bottom of the soup bowl as it can contain 75% of the salt. Daily salt amounts is still one of those big question marks. Probably best to err in the side of less is better especially if eating processed foods. If eating whole foods, the salt shaker isn't much of an issue.

The vast majority of adults in our culture get more than enough nutrients. Women can be low in iron, b12, calcium but this is remedied by targeting certain foods. For the most part eat whole foods and no issues. I've been vegetarian for three decades and not lacking anything. I've spent a total of 10 dollars tops on vitamins and similar over the years . That was for Vitamin C when there was all the hype in the 1970s.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:19:37 PM
Active--you're a nurse, maybe you can help me. Why, when only a quarter of people are salt sensitive does the medical establishment recommend that the other 75%, who are not salt sensitive, alter their diets to use less salt?
 activemelaney
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2015 5:04:53 PM
^^^ interesting question.
There is a lot of controversy around salt. We stay away from the subject. Medical studies are not definitive as there are too many variables to control. I tell patients to eat whole foods...otherwise, non processed. Yes, probably best for most Americans to eat less salt but less meaning what exactly?

In general a healthy adult should be able to process salt. High sodium is linked to high BP, kidney function issues, etc. but hard to distinguish the chicken from the egg of cause and effect.

Bottom line...nobody knows. Salt is akin to calcium studies. Japanese consume less calcium than Americans but have less bone atrophy...some cultures consume far more salt than we do but average lower blood pressure (in general).

I personally don't consume a lot of salt. On the plus side, my taste buds adopt fine...just like they do with less sugar.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/21/2015 6:10:15 PM
I don't use much myself because I can barely taste it. I remember big fusses with my mother when I was a teen--You left the salt out again!!! But Ma, it's only a tablespoon in 8 loaves--how can you *tell*? But she could, even if I couldn't. So when I'm cooking from a recipe (seldom) I add what they ask, otherwise, I don't bother, and just put a salt shaker on the table. I've learned that if I salt a stew until I can taste it, it's going to be too salty for everyone else. And in general I'm not that fond of the taste anyways--barring boiled eggs and sliced tomatoes, lol!

Interesting about the Japanese and calcium. Wonder if it's the natto? More K2 in natto than in anything we eat. And Japanese love natto! Hope someone does a study on that.
 satx78218
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2015 4:07:34 AM
just like cholesterol isn't a problem (it's a solution for selling statins, a non-scientific scam dating back to Eisenhower's heart attack)

just like low-fat is a solution (medical/nutritional people been obsessed with low-fat for 45 years, and Americans are fatter, sicker then ever)

salt isn't a problem, it's sterilized, PURE sodium chloride that's the problem. "natural" salt with a wide range of components is OK.
 activemelaney
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2015 2:19:34 PM
^^^
Quite silly.
Americans can be obsessed with many things...doesn't mean they eat less..be it fat, sugar or salt.
As for your comments on statins...ignorant. Just irresponsible and and misleading.

The difference between life and death for many patients are a regimen of meds...including statins.

Life expectancy today...81 years
30 years ago"................72 years
50 years ago..................69 years

Largely in part to those evil meds like statins.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/22/2015 6:26:33 PM

salt isn't a problem,

I agree.
That's why I even put some on my McDonalds french fries.

And my canned soups at home.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/22/2015 6:46:13 PM

Actually a Larger part is due to how infant mortality rates are factored into the numbers. As a much higher percentage of infants survive past 5 years of age today than 50 years ago which is one of the reason the number looks much bigger.

So if you are going to quote those kind of numbers you need to provide a source that shows how it came to them.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 1:50:40 AM

^^^^^Hardly, those stats included infants and children
Since children and babies are living longer, the stats have changed dramatically in the U.S.
A more appropriate way to measure is life expectancy is after adulthood.( 21)
 satx78218
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 8:55:31 AM
shilling for BigPharma, are we?

"The difference between life and death for many patients are a regimen of meds...including statins."

LOL

Yes, BigPharma has indoctrinated Americans into believing, yes it's "faith" America loves most, that health and life springs from their drugs. LOL
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 10:07:37 AM
WTF.
In my lifetime I haven't contracted Smallpox, Cholera. I didn't die from my bout with Scarlet Fever when I was 8. A couple times survived tooth abscesses because of antibiotics. I for one sure appreciate all that Big Pharma. True. Life expectancy is from birth...the reason it is longer because evil Big Pharma has helped keep us ticking as infants, toddlers, teens, adults., and much older. Unlike my uncle in WW2 I never got malaria when working in Africa...again, pills from evil Big Pharma.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 1:25:06 PM
There hasn't been an epidemic of smallpox since about 1910, cholera is caused by feces contamination and prevented by sanitation/ clean water as many illnesses are.
As far as malaria, my mother had it too and got it in SC as a child, not Africa and was treated with quinine which is NOT a chemical based drug but made from tree bark as is aspirin.
The strongest narcotics are made from plants.
The best antivirals are from plants.

Many things in modern, western medicine I am also thankful for since the early 1900's but over prescribing a chemical made in a lab wont save my life one day or yours.( we can side bet later)

Most of the preventative measures of infection and disease were discovered after the war between the states. Most helpful and effective was the most simple, just cleaning surgical instruments and washing hands.

Hospitals were full of disease, and many rat infested before and during the war.
Doctors performed surgeries with no gloves, used bare fingers to touch/inspect wounds and wiped instruments on shirts or using their aprons. Due to these practices and the infections they caused, the National Museum of Civil War Medicine calculated that over half the casualties were a result of disease, not gunshots or bayonet wounds.

Can't think of much, well anything actually since the polio vaccine that has done much for outbreaks of life altering threatening diseases.

With big Pharmas money and scientific geniuses , why cant they cure aids or herpes?Stop MRSA in hospitals? Seriously they cant clean a MFing hospital and we trust them with our family, friends and selves?
They make money treating a horrible disease, not curing one.

There are many natural anti virals, anti bacterials, anti fungals that have been shown effective against illnesses/infections esp the aids virus and herpes, but no ones going to put it in a pill when you can have a life long member buying your "treatments" and you can't patent plants /herbs because then so many would be selling it and the price would be cheap..

Half of us would be growing our own "cures" and preventatives.
I know where to get mine.Its not from Pvking*Ph*izer.

However I do plan on a vaccine that is proven to have more merit than not having it, the shingles vaccine (some day as I did have the chicken pox) .Its not the big, bad, scary commercials that made up my mind, its people I know that have gotten it.
Its a horrible thing.

Funny since our generation is approaching the "shingles age" the vaccine has gone from about 50 dollars to 300 dollars and up on average in just a very few , short years.

Ill continue to eat what I do and take/drink /eat my herbs until I save enough for something that cost the drug companies about 12 dollars to make and pay out the azz like most are.

There wont be a lawyer or car salesman at the gates of hell waiting for any of us, it will be a CEO of a drug manufacturer .
 dragonbytes
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/23/2015 1:28:53 PM

^^^^^Hardly, those stats included infants and children
Since children and babies are living longer, the stats have changed dramatically in the U.S.
A more appropriate way to measure is life expectancy is after adulthood.( 21

This is true, but it's modern medicine along with big agriculture preventing famines and the lack of big wars that helped keep the vulnerable babies, young children and young adults alive. It's all three together.

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with statins, which affect health later in life.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/25/2015 7:02:38 PM
SweetPeaJulia- I buy multi vitamins that have 100% of as many things as possible.
In particular-Vitamin C, B12, folic acid, calcium, iron and potassium.
Btw-Any vitamins taken that are more than 100% of your daily allowance are a waste, your body can't absorb more than that, you just end up with expensive urine ;)
 Skyr
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2015 1:25:04 AM

As far as malaria, my mother had it too and got it in SC as a child, not Africa and was treated with quinine which is NOT a chemical based drug but made from tree bark as is aspirin

If not a chemical what is it? Some form of dark matter?

There are many natural anti virals, anti bacterials, anti fungals that have been shown effective against illnesses/infections esp the aids virus and herpes, but no ones going to put it in a pill when you can have a life long member buying your "treatments" and you can't patent plants /herbs because then so many would be selling it and the price would be cheap.

Which herb are you going to treat HIV with? Would you bet your life on it?

Can't think of much, well anything actually since the polio vaccine that has done much for outbreaks of life altering threatening diseases.

Off the top of my head, how about measles, pertussis, tetanus, Haemophilus influenza B (Hib). Thirty years ago every doctor dreaded seeing kids with epiglottitis from Hib. Now it's something you read about in textbooks. Measles can kill, yet most recent medical graduates have never seen a case themselves.

With big Pharmas money and scientific geniuses , why cant they cure aids or herpes?

A silly argument. With big (insert any industry) money, why don't we have flying pigs and hoverboards? Must be a conspiracy.

Perhaps you should look at the challenge of targeting retroviruses, instead of making a sweeping statement about the failure of 'genius' and 'big money'.

Skyr
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2015 1:48:57 AM

SweetPeaJulia- I buy multi vitamins that have 100% of as many things as possible.
In particular-Vitamin C, B12, folic acid, calcium, iron and potassium.
Btw-Any vitamins taken that are more than 100% of your daily allowance are a waste, your body can't absorb more than that, you just end up with expensive urine ;)

I think you are referring to Vitamin C, which is water soluble and generally excreted in urine.

It is entirely possible to take toxic doses of certain Vitamins....common overdoses include Vitamin A and D.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2015 3:14:46 AM

If not a chemical what is it? Some form of dark matter?

I should have said a chemical made in a lab..my oversight.

Which herb are you going to treat HIV with? Would you bet your life on it?

First ,I wont get it. I take preventative measures
OLE is number one if I had to and other
non conventional treatments.

The studies are there. I have used it to kill/prevent any virus/funi/bactreia I have ever had in the last 15 or more years. I had one ( pneumonia). OLE,fresh garlic, ginger, Mediterranean oil of oregano also.Since I and others use herbs regularly we dont usually get viruses, bacterial infection, yeast overgrowth or the bubonic plague for that matter

Olive leaf ext has shown to change HIV pos blood into HIV neg blood correctly dosed. The first discovery to my knowledge was in 1995.
In 1996 they found natural protease inhibitors, when the exr0tract is combined with the immune modulator naltrexone and a drink made from lemon juice and olive oil.
The first case recorded of an aids patient using a therapeutic dose of OLE with naltrexone, lemon/oil mixture the patients status went from positive to negative on both the ELISA and western blot standard aids test,
drop in viral load from 37,000 10 19,500 was found go be as effective as taking AZT for the first time, when the most dramatic drops occur.Many more cases I wont go over here.
Much more dramatic drops have occurred, but you can read the research.

Olive Leaf has a scientifically backed reputation for helping to protect against a wide variety of viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic invasions without harming beneficial bacteria. It also supports several circulatory needs at the same time, including blood pressure balance, healthy arteries, normal heart rhythm and free radical protection. Additionally, it serves the urinary and digestive systems.swollen lymph nodes can return to normal.
Olive leaf's broad wide-spectrum killing power includes an ability to interfere with critical amino acid production for viruses; an ability to contain viral infection and/or spread by inactivating viruses by preventing virus shredding, budding or assembly at the cell membrane; and the ability to directly penetrate infected cells and stop viral replication.
Upjohn tested o leaf, but could not patent it.

Bonus
Olive Leaf, a staple of the healthy Mediterranean diet from the Tree of Health acts in 4 beneficial areas:
1. Immune System Support for optimal health
2. Pathogen Control (virus, retrovirus, bacteria, fungi, parasites)
3. Energy Booster Build lasting energy reserves without caffeine or other stimulants
4. Cardiovascular & Heart health, Lower Blood Pressure, Cholesterol & Hypertension

Olive Leaf Extract References
1. Handbook of phytochemical constituents of GRAS herbs & other economic plants. by James A. Duke, Author (U.S.D.A.)
2. The Merck Index, 10th edition, Oleuropein, Pg. 980
3. Dictionary of Organic Compounds, 5th Vol.3 Oleuropein PP 4400-01
4. W. V. Cruess, Oleuropein, The bitter principal of the olive. IV Congress Intern. Tech. Chem. Ind. Agr. Brussels, 3:638-45, 1935
5. P. Gariboldi, et,al Secoiridoids from Olea europaea. Phy to-Chemistry 25(40):865-69 1986
6. Antimicrobial Properties of Oleuropein Products of its hydrolysis from green olives. H. P. Fleming, W. M. Walters, Jr. & J. L. Etchells, Applied Microbiology, Nov 1973, Vol. 26 #5 PP 777-82.
7. Kaij-a-Kamb, M; Amoros, M; Girre, L. "Search for new antiviral agents of plant origin. Pharma-Acta-Helv, 67(5-6):130-47, 1992
8. The Tree of Life, William R. Fredrickson, Library of Congress, Pg 87, 1994
9. In Vitro Antiviral Activity of Calcium Elenolate Harold Renis, Dept. of Virology, Antimicrobal Agents & Chemotherapy PP 167-72, 1969
10. Elenolic Acid to Calcium Elenolate. Conversation with Harold Renis and Richard Hall AmeridenĀ® International and Harold Renis March, 1999
A most informative read and not to long as to bore is by Dr Walker
11>>>>. Olive Leaf Extract, Natures Antibiotic, Dr.Morton Walker,,<<<<<< How olive leaf extract works against Microbes. 1997^^^^^^^^^^^VERY informative with suggested dosages and in layman's terms
The whole list references some 25 different sources such as the Journal of Applied Microbiology, Lancet, Biochem Pharmacology etc. Without accessing all the references I couldn't say which ones applied to the Candida listing.
On page 150 Candida Krusei NRRL Y-105 is listed as a strain of Candida that Olive Leaf Extract is effective against. The study showing this was an in Vitro Disk Bioassay conducted by the Upjohn company.

Other than that, there is continual ongoing scientific research into the different properties of olive leaf extract. This is a huge subject. A good place to look is Pubmed, the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

12. Inactivation of DNA polymerase of Murine Leukemia Viruses by Calcium elenolate. Nature New Biology Vol. 238 Aug. 30, 1972
13. Antioxidative Activities of Olea europaea leaves & related compounds. Bernard Le Tutour & Didier Gueden, Phytochemistry Vol. 31, #4, PP1173-78, 1992
14. Olive Leaf Extract, Natures secret for Vibrant Health & Long Life. The National Life Extension Research Institute, Sixth Printing, Pg. 18, 1998
15. The Tree of Life, William R. Fredrickson, Library of Congress. PP 111-114, 1994
16. W. V. Creuss, C. L. Alsberg. The Bitter Glucoside of Olive. Journal of Amer. Chem. Soc. 56:2115-17, 1934
17. Olive Leaf Extract. Video- Doctor to Doctor Show,TBN Dr. Pensanti & Dr. Morton Walker, March 1999
18. Pharmacological Analysis of the Iridiod Oleuropein V. Petkov & P. Manolov, Arzneim-Forsch

If you were not taught about herbs/used them you can't possibly know they work so I understand you don't get it.
We are lucky to have a choice. I choose un conventional, less dangerous FIRST.
Then make a decision later if its not working for me.

OLE/Garlic/ginger/weeds/herbs and the like was used widely for centuries until RX antibiotics appeared on the medical scene.
Now look what we have done. Most are useless in times of need.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/26/2015 8:27:12 PM
I'd actually heard that vitamin D overdoses were rather unusual, since it takes so *much* to overdose. . . .

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/am-i-getting-too-much-vitamin-d/
 Skyr
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:30:39 AM

Olive leaf ext has shown to change HIV pos blood into HIV neg blood correctly dosed. The first discovery to my knowledge was in 1995.
In 1996 they found natural protease inhibitors, when the exr0tract is combined with the immune modulator naltrexone and a drink made from lemon juice and olive oil.

lol...really? How much did olive oil and lemon juice lower CD4 counts by? What was the level of evidence? Should HIV sufferers eat more salad dressing?

OLE/Garlic/ginger/weeds/herbs and the like was used widely for centuries until RX antibiotics appeared on the medical scene.

Yes, and most had limited or no efficacy for their proposed ailment. That's why they became obsolete when we found things that worked.

People also used magic water and chants to cure disease "for centuries". By your logic, "centuries" of use is proof in itself!

Now look what we have done. Most are useless in times of need.

You have it around the wrong way. Although microbial resistance is a growing problem which needs to be addressed (blame that on evolution), the majority of pathogenic bacteria are not multi-resistant. Common antibiotics are still effective.

We are lucky to have a choice.

Of course we have a choice. The discussion was about whether a therapeutic intervention works; not whether one should have freedom to use remedies that don't work.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2015 4:08:26 AM
^^^^^

You haven't studied or tried natural treatments and dont know anything about them.
Both western modern medicine and natural plant based "medicine "can work together.

By all means if I get hit by a bus /have a stroke, then get me to a hospital.
I will have someone bring me my anti viral,/bacterial,/fungal herbs though, so as not to be least likely to contract something I didn't go in with.

You may leave ill, lose a limb to ( or even die from ) what can be contracted in a hospital.
Including
Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Clostridium difficile (C.Diff)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE)
Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) and Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae(CRKP)
Necrotizing fasciitis, the flesh-eating bacterial disease

You are on one far end of the spectrum and another poster is on the farthest end of another.
I prefer one over the other ,but won't disregard one altogether that I dont prefer.

I beleive both can work together.
In many cases of disease, natural should be tried first imo for the least amount of side effects and then try the RX if that fails.Many would benefit from both together.

Should HIV sufferers eat more salad dressing?

^^^^ "Cute" as always.
 Skyr
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2015 1:57:16 PM

You may leave ill, lose a limb to ( or even die from ) what can be contracted in a hospital.
Including
Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Clostridium difficile (C.Diff)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE)
Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) and Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae(CRKP)
Necrotizing fasciitis, the flesh-eating bacterial disease

You are on one far end of the spectrum and another poster is on the farthest end of another.
I prefer one over the other ,but won't disregard one altogether that I dont prefer.

I'm on the spectrum of people who disregard nonsense. You assert that "most" antibiotics are useless in times of need. That is just plain wrong. Bacterial resistance is a growing problem and needs addressing. However, MOST are still treatable.

For instance, take MRSA, which is Staph aureus resistant to traditionally used Flucloxacillin. The vast majority are sensitive to sulfonamides and lincosamides.

Clostridium difficile is due to disturbance of gut flora from antibiotic use, but like anything it's a risk/benefit tradeoff. You could use herbs which do not disturb gut flora, but they don't kill pathogens either. Why bother treating the patient in the first place?

Necrotising fasciitis is sensationalised by the media as a 'flesh eating disease', which is incorrect. It is a deep fascial infection, usually a result of contaminated wounds, or may arise spontaneously in otherwise healthy individuals. It is not due to overzealous antibiotic usage. Without antibiotics and surgery, it can kill quickly.

Which salad dressing would you treat VRE or MRSA with?

^^^^ "Cute" as always.

You're avoiding the question. What is the effect of olive extract on CD4 count in HIV patients?
 Molly Maude
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:04 PM
I've not routinely taken vitamins throughout my life ... BUT ... when I developed
6 (hopefully non-malignant) tumors in my thyroid (most attached to parathyroids)
... the tumors were sucking calcium from my bones and discarding it into my waste
system so bad news for my kidneys ... I see an endocrinologist who started me out
w/50,000 units of Vitamin D weekly ... that lowered the levels of calcium from my blood,
hopefully stopping the tumors from sucking it out of my bones ... he reduced that to
4,000 units Vitamin D daily and my calcium levels dropped back down to within
normal range ... recently, he dropped the Vitamin D to 2,000 units daily and my
calcium levels are rising again ... I suspect he'll raise it back up to 4,000 again ...

my cardiologist just put me on CoQ10 ... I don't know why and am not sure I'll
actually take it ... any comments on the health benefits to one's heart on 200 mg.
of CoQ10 daily?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >