Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Shawnb2009
Msg: 1323
so, why are you still single?Page 42 of 75    (35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75)
I've been single for a about a year. I was in a relationship that lasted about 8 years, and eventually broke it off. I'm still single because I just recently decided that I took enough time away to jump back into the dating pond. I was never one for getting right into a relationship shortly after another one ending....thats a recipe for a failed relationship, and not fair to whomever you start dating.
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 1325
so, why are you still single?
Posted: 8/19/2009 3:02:43 PM
I think, well no.... I know that I'm still single because I don't have a lot of friends to go out and meet people. The friends I do have are either married or just have moved on and lost touch. It's pretty hard meeting anyone when you don't go out very much.

The online scene has not really done much for me. Only ever been with someone I met online once, and that only lasted a few months.
 Giantrican
Msg: 1327
SO why are you still single after 30?
Posted: 8/26/2009 4:37:00 AM
Cause Ladies can't handle I have one kid in my life lol! Not like I have 50 hanging out there that I don't know of? Take it from me, after 30 the dating pool is getting smaller friends of ours are getting married, have kids and enjoying the future! While we sit on the bench being picky and choosy on who we date so someone has some baggage who cares! I would rather a woman with a bit of baggage and she is getting control of it cause at least she is living and handling her on Biz! We worry too much of the small stuff and the years go by, we are getting older and before you know it we are asking the same questions at 40 why are we still single?
 fra59e
Msg: 1329
Posted: 8/26/2009 4:41:53 PM
The question "Why are you still single?" is silly and insulting. Nobody asks a married person "Why are you still married?" The question seems to assume that there is something wrong with being single. There is not.
 fra59e
Msg: 1334
Posted: 8/31/2009 8:58:39 PM

... us Men always have to initiate, ...

Funny but I didn't notice that on the ballot last election day. When was that law passed? Did you vote for it?

Who makes rules for you? Why? Is that the way you want your life to be?
 tank72
Msg: 1337
Posted: 9/3/2009 2:21:06 PM
don t really know. its tough after 30 though
 butterfly1285
Msg: 1339
Posted: 9/7/2009 6:46:41 PM
LMAO!!! That is the absolute BEST answer I have ever heard!! Luv it:)
Thanks for the laugh, and good response next time I'm asked!!!
Heidi
 butterfly1285
Msg: 1340
Posted: 9/7/2009 6:47:53 PM
Thanks trekker...that is a great point!! I like that response very much!!
Heidi
 fra59e
Msg: 1343
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:39:03 AM

Well I know one of the reasons I am still single is that I didn't date for 3 years so I was out of the game for a time. I've been actively looking for a year now and haven't been dating much. Sometimes I get discouraged and feel as though sometimes men are looking for some very young, skinny, blonde girl. I know I'm cute and curvy, but now I'm wondering what's going on myself.

"Dating" and "the game" is for teenage kids. Grown-ups build a circle of friends, acquaintances, lovers, whatever they want.

As for doing things with somebody, whether it's outings, sex, even marrying them, there's an amazingly effective phrase: "Would you like to ... ?" It works for both both genders.

As for men who want eye candy, why not quit worrying. Bake cinnamon cookies fresh out of the oven served hot when he stops by, and let the aroma work its magic.
 live2ski79
Msg: 1344
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:58:10 AM
I'm single because my ex-wife left me for another guy. Never though I would be single again but here I am .
 twirpy
Msg: 1349
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2010 7:32:42 PM
Why am I in my mid 30's and still single? Let's see....

I'm painfully shy in person and have struggled for most of my life with shyness and anxiety. I turn into a nervous wreck around women.
I'm cursed with undesirable facial features that I can't help, which makes me physically unattractive. I'm not making that up, I've been called ugly by lots of people including women over the years.
Every woman I've ever been interested in has rejected me without even giving me a chance, and nobody has ever shown interest in me.
My only friend and his wife have tried for years to set me up with someone but have never succeeded in even getting me a date.
I'm a virgin who has never kissed or touched a woman. That alone will send up more red flags than anything else.
Because of a lifetime of rejection and heartbreak, I've put up walls. I'm afraid to even express interest in anyone because I can no longer deal with the pain of rejection.

I won't lie, I'm incredibly lonely and would give anything to share my life with someone. It tears my heart out to see happy couples together and wish I could have that. But unfortunately we live in a judgemental world where things don't always work out the way we want so I'm trying to accept being alone.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 1352
Posted: 3/14/2010 6:47:23 AM

In all honesty at this season of my life I prefer to be single. I'm a single mom & I'm in school full time which means I have alot going on. Maybe when my child is a little older & I've graduated & am settled in my career I'll be open to meeting someone on a romantic level. As for now, no thank you. I'm happy & content with my life right now the way that it is.

^^^^ Exactly. Many seem to be under the impression that society dictates we "must" be in a relationship or something's a matter with us? Single somehow translates into dysfunctional? It's nothing of the kind. If we can't find a compatible partner we have no business trying to shoehorn ourselves into something harmful. Better to be single.

flybuttersocial
Msg: 1353
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:27:39 AM
Because I had some health and employment issues in my early mid 20's and I haven't become what my whole self is supposed to be so I am stuck in transition trying to reach my destination.

Plus I just have no desire to be married right now or really soon.

There is a lot of life to live still.
 EGJV
Msg: 1354
Posted: 3/14/2010 11:52:50 PM
Me:

I'm looking for a woman without kids: about 50% of US population.
I'm looking for a nonreligious woman: about 13% of US population.
I'm looking for a woman not in love with dogs: 0.1% of US population.

I'm an engineer, overweight and don't look like Brad Pitt -> women interested = 0% of US population.

Hence, I'm single.
 roganm
Msg: 1355
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:06:15 AM
I work nights with no static days off. Kinda makes it hard to meet people.
 Fifi47
Msg: 1357
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:12:55 AM
I could choose to date many men I might meet but most would not choose to date me. They seem to find plenty wrong with me, as they might need to try opening up to new types of women and be lucky and find a good catch. This philosophy might work for both men and women.
 ladyt73
Msg: 1359
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:38:33 PM
I agree, It's not like I can't be in a relationship. I want to be in one but I want to be in one with someone I can trust and who isn't going to lie to me. Also there is a double standard with women dating younger men. I feel as I get older the dating pool is getting smaller. A lot of men and women in their twenties are still playing the field and sometimes even people in their thirties because they have been married and divorced and don't want to do it again.
 BonneyBones
Msg: 1360
Posted: 3/19/2010 8:10:40 AM
im still single because every guy i date has either cheated on me or just cant deal with my independance and intellect. i was married when i was 18 to a complete psycho and i cant see me making that mistake again, so i take it slow still.
 BonneyBones
Msg: 1361
Posted: 3/19/2010 8:12:18 AM
also, ladyt73, most men over 30 are still looking for women 18-25. they dont know whats good for them.
 fra59e
Msg: 1362
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:12:38 PM
Maybe a problem is that so many people, especially women, still want to live according to the social conventions they learned when they were in high school.

Younger women today seem more likely to be free from those confining assumptions. Therefore they are certainly going to enjoy a better social life.

Many older women still live by the rules their mothers taught them - "nice girls don't ask men to go out, they wait demure and passive for the man to ask them out." That's just one example.

I think men of all ages can be modern and prefer to be with women who treat them as equals - women who are quite capable of having desires, expressing what they want, and recognizing that sometimes you get it it, sometimes you don't. Women under 30 seldom want to be treated as helpless or reactive or dependent on men for making decisions. It's the older women mostly who are stuck in the gender-role thing.

Granted, there are still some men who are dinosaurs, who feel castrated if they encounter a woman with a will of her own and a bit of self-confidence. But hey, these are a dying breed, and even if some women still want to be treated as princesses on pedestals, they can still be found.

Personally, I like confident independent-spirited people, male or female. Women who know what they are and like being what they are are much more interesting to be with.

nightman37
Msg: 1366
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 9:39:26 AM
I've add so much time, but such bad luck, a very long just good friends relship in the 20s, the next a hen picking woman, who left a with my best friend first time I stood up to her, in my thirty one woman, tuned out to be cocaine junky. If wall women were like that, I'd probably be better of single, which doesn't stop my heart screaming lonely some of the time.
 EuroRd94
Msg: 1368
Posted: 3/24/2010 11:11:09 PM
Three simple reasons.

1. I have been constantly rejected for dates and feel like that I will never hear 'yes.'

2. I'm an Asian that prefers white women.

3. I'm a true romantic at heart and that is the biggest turn-off these days.
 Fizics
Msg: 1372
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2010 10:41:49 PM
I can't decide if most of the posts in this forum are trolls or many people sing the cognitive dissonance song like it's a show tune. Endless posts from both sexes of "I'm not going to settle, no way I'm settling, that (wo)man was probably no good anyway".

Anything to keep hope alive I guess.
 eurosteve
Msg: 1373
Posted: 3/26/2010 2:35:25 AM
I am cute, single, 31 and have never been married, had children or even been engaged. I just keep running into bad apples, one after the other.. I have actually given up for a while and will focus on myself right now, if the right one doesnt come along. I will be a grumpy old man with a bunch of cats ;) ehehehehe
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 1374
Posted: 3/26/2010 9:12:36 AM
Same reason I would be single under 30.

No one that floats my boat.
Not important in the scheme of things going on in my life.
My schedule/lifestyle isn't conducive to a relationship.
I don't care to search so I'm not paying that much attention to it.
There are times in life it just happens that you are single by choice, or by situation.

There are also times people aren't single over/under 30. Asking them why gives you the same answers. Because at that time in life that's where they're at.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >