Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tick tock
Msg: 290
view profile
History
18 year old girl marries a 40 year old man?Page 5 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Good luck to any guy who wants to marry an 18 year old.... they are very high maintenance and all those hormones/mood swings/demands....

And this is different from women in their twenties and thirties how???? Oh yeah, I remember, the older they get, the more weapons they learn to employ.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 309
18 year old girl marries a 40 year old man?
Posted: 5/8/2008 11:06:43 PM

I know these marriages happen, yet I'm not a supporter of them. I think the girl is seeking a father figure, and the guy is insecure. The age gap is nearly a generation. She's just begun her life and he's well into his. Beyond the sex, there is so much more a couple shares. Its only my opinion of course.

There is a genertion between them. He is 22 years older than her, and easily old enough to be her father. The government has decided for whatever reason that 18 is an adult, but is someone that is 18 years old truly an adult in every way? I think not. A 40 year old man marrying a 18 year old girl, seems like a border line child molestor to me.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 310
Posted: 5/8/2008 11:12:56 PM
Gee whiz, maybe she would miss getting pregnant by an unemployed teen from her own peer group, or ending up with irreparable brain damage from visiting a frat party.
Two of the girls I went to highschool with had so many abortions by the time they were 40 that neither could ever have children.

Perhaps if she had not married a man old enough to be her dad, she could have went to college, graduated, got a great job. Found a man her own age, married him, and had a happy life.

I wonder how he feels when they go out and people think he is her dad. Wonder how he will feel if they have children together, and everyone that sees them assumes he is the grandfather.

Age doesn't matter to a point, but this is way beyond that point. Stage of life also matters. She is just getting to adulthood(as far as I am concerned she is still very much a child) and he is a middle aged man that has already done a lot of living.

Really 1missblueeyes, a 40 year old man marrying a 18 year old girl is just fine? I am 51, so does that mean it would be ok to you if I marry a 29 year old man(not that I would even date one)? Or is it just ok for men to marry much younger girls?
 Gourmetchef50
Msg: 311
Posted: 5/9/2008 7:25:08 AM
simply..a lucky dude..
 jab786
Msg: 314
Posted: 5/9/2008 3:32:02 PM
i agree with you 100% age has nothing to do when it comes to LOVE. i think she has doen the right thing, well look around you all the young 18/20 years boys, they have no responsibilty soon they see another prity face with a pair of nice ****** they forget they already have a girl. where this 40 years old is not going to enjoy her is also will love her for been his wife.And oh yes dont forget the exprinces he would have in making love and make her heppy.. Yes so i think she is doen the right thing.
 jab786
Msg: 315
Posted: 5/9/2008 3:33:54 PM
i think you need to look around you..these days 18 years old knows more about birds and the bees. So i dont agree wiht you.
 redgirl633
Msg: 316
Posted: 5/9/2008 5:07:10 PM
I AM 31 AN MY HUS IS 59
 heartwinners
Msg: 321
Posted: 5/10/2008 6:04:47 AM
Depends on the maturity level most 18 year olds arent very mature even though I have met a couple that are. As for the 40 year old man he sounds like he may have some serious issues. Perhaps he cant pick up someone his own age
 tick tock
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 3:18:45 PM
When I was 19 I married the coolest man I had ever met, and he was 38. Our marriage lasted 7 years, and it really was great. My father (God rest his soul) stayed with my husband and I durring his seperation from my mother for 8 months, and would comment often on how wonderful our communication was, and how we never fought, and just talked thru our problems.

Personally, I have found that the healthiest relationships are the ones where the couples do talk through their issues, rather than trying to one-up each other in a vicious game of blame. In that regard, I can see how marrying an older man would have advantages since it takes us at least a decade of dating to learn how to communicate with the opposite sex. Obviously, I'm not the same person that I was in my teens and twenties and have learned the art of biting my tongue (not here on the forums, though...lol), taking a deep breath, and searching for the heart of the issue. It is about being attentive and acknowledging feelings, whether you feel they are valid or not. It is about valuing their thoughts, hopes, and dreams as being centrally important to your world. When I was teen, I always thought the women were just crazy or pms'ing. Age and maturity does bring some wisdom.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 332
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:11:06 PM
I wonder if those that think this is ok, what be ok if it were the woman that was the older person. I wouldn't date much less marry someone 29, but in general would it be ok for a 51 year old woman to marry a 29 year old man(29 instead of 18, because 51 is 11 years older than the age of 40. The age of the man in this situtation.) Let's even throw in the idea that this 29 year old man already has 3 children from another marriage and doesn't want anymore children. These two people love each other, get along perfectly, have much in common.

When I was 18, and lived near the beach and men as old as 40 tried to get me to date them, I just found it nasty. Just thought of them as a dirty old man trying to get in my pants.
 enochaeon
Msg: 335
Posted: 5/18/2008 11:07:32 PM
Did it occur to you that she might actually love him. Age is just a number and as long as he treats her like a queen there shouldn't be any problem. I know of a couple like this and they are so crazy in love that it shows.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 343
Posted: 6/23/2008 8:04:42 AM
But what about all those other threads stating "age doesn't matter"??
Frankly, he is lucky.

It won't last tho.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 347
Posted: 6/23/2008 8:51:52 AM
^
Hey...I agree with you 100%
However, I am always interested in the reasoning behind the "age doesn't matter" arguement. Age most certainly can matter and probably will. It just may not matter at the start of a relationship.

OT...nice hair & freckles btw.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 351
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:21:01 AM
Unfortunately some people always think they know everything.
Heck, my kids do!
Anyway, I've been in relationships where I ended up dating younger women and yes, they seemed more mature. Sadly, our lives directions took other paths as we matured at different rates. I think that's what tends to happen. You may be on the road together now, but as times passes both of you end up taking a different path.

OT: I'll consider myself warned.
 fellinagen
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 11:34:52 AM
Has she got a sister?
 Stan Powder
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2008 8:20:28 PM

When I am 40 one day I want to marry a pretty little young thing , unbittered, unworn , still with hope , smiles at everything and loves to party , by that time I am sure I will still love to party .

People who marry young divorce jus tlike the older ones , what is the difference arses and biatches come in all ages

FINALLY someone on these forums has something right AND cool to say. I'm telling you these boards are full of wannabe love-shrinks it's mad annoying.

As for the age thing, I don't know them and I couldn't care less, so good luck to them. I too have nothing wrong with and am flattered to know that girls as young as 19 find me attractive, same goes to girls much older than me. Girls my age on the other hand have issues.

That and girls my age tend to want to dumb me down so no young ones can check me out. neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext
 Stan Powder
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2008 8:21:11 PM
Oh ya forget about looking at others age differences, just have fun.
 yellowcotton
Msg: 366
Posted: 7/5/2008 1:01:52 AM
Since when does whom we love, have anything to do with common sense? Common sense just comes into it later, when you use it in the relationship, to smooth the day to day. Be happy, Solar panel. If you find someone you care for, who cares what age they are, if they have 6 heads or what the neighbours think? And, as you said, everything in life has a countdown clock. Better to live and enjoy and worry about the end , when it comes.
 sunnyangels
Msg: 374
Posted: 7/5/2008 10:15:08 AM
What is wrong with the guy!!! Obviously he can not handle that fact that "HE" is getting older. The big picture...he will be 60, ready to retire, but will have nothing left because he will probably be paying for child support until he drops. Totally unfair to her and the children they may have as well. Not many of those May/September relationships last in my humble opinion. Sorry I am so biased on this one, but I have a half brother 15 years younger than me whose dad died when he was 8.
 fetish4u
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 4:04:07 PM
I'm in my 40's myself.However I like women more in the 30-50 range.I guess it they both love each other it shouldn't matter.
 STH III
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 11:05:09 PM
people should just be nice to her and let her live her life, mistakes and all.
 imsickofthegame
Msg: 381
Posted: 7/11/2008 8:41:52 AM
There's nothing wrong with an age difference as long as both people are mature enough to handle their partnership on even and mutually respectful terms.

The only problem is that that often is not the case, which is why society arbitrarily looks down upon it. There are far too many naive young women who love the mystique of an older man. There are also far too many older men who prey upon young women because they're easier or "sexier" targets. It's a dangerous game to get into because someone is often in it without a clear head. But I'm sure it can work if the couple is both honest, mature, and legitimately care for one another.
 good_catch77
Msg: 383
Posted: 7/11/2008 9:06:24 AM
Did anyone who recently posted notice that this thread is 3 years old. So that means that she is 21 and he is 43. If this couple is still married what about the situation now? Does the opinion change now that 3 years of marriage and growing have come about?

Does the age gap somehow "narrows" now that 3 years have came and gone? What if the roles was reversed and it was a younger man (21) with a older woman (43)? Would the harsh opinions of being a perv or the younger guy having "mommy" issues. Or would it be accepted?

Best of luck to everyone
 imsickofthegame
Msg: 385
Posted: 7/11/2008 9:40:37 AM
Well put Intell girl. The thing is, age IS an arbitrary number that manking invented to measure the passage of time. Some people are very mature at a young age, and vice versa. So I do think it's possible. I just don't think it usually happens for the right reasons, which (somewhat justifiably) makes people look at big age gaps as sick.

It's the girls who want older guys because it's "cool" and the guys who prey on young women because older ones don't fall for their schemes that need to be dealt with.
 dave1234
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2008 6:41:51 PM
I don't know why people feel the guy is getting the better "deal".

What kind of life would she have if she married an 18 year old? If she became pregnant what 18 year old guy could support her and a child? It's almost certain they wouldn't have their own home. Most likely a second hand car that took any extra money assuming there was any extra. And how many 18 year old guys will give up what most 18 year old guys want to do?

As for those questioning how one would react if they had a daughter that age I can tell you most 40 year old guys would treat an 18 year old gal much better than an 18 year old guy would.

And let's look at something else. Let's suppose your son-in-law asks to borrow your new Acura or offers to look after your home while you're on vacation. Would you feel more comfortable with an 18 year old or a 40 year old handling that responsibility? I hope there isn't anyone who would trust someone with the care of their daughter but not with the care of their car or home.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >