Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 48
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???Page 2 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
^^^^ silly man.. that's because ALL WOMEN can drive.. just ask us...
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 50
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:22:19 PM
iwarrior... since I've been on these forums.. it has amazed me how some people get so serious and abusive on them. I'm not saying I haven't gotten a bit ticked off at some narrow minded moron and basically told them what I thought of them but some people are just very bitter and angry and take it out on a thread or person on the thread.

Such a shame. My problem about the no car or license would be if it was because of irresponsibility, too many DUI's or just laziness. But then I'm 46 so if a person hasn't learned to drive by now.. something is wrong. But another thing is I live in the country.. If I lived in a city with public transportation.. I'm not sure I'd have a car, my lifestyle is just totally opposite from someone who can do that.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/26/2006 11:14:14 PM
@richard...

who was trying to make you feel like a misfit???
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/26/2006 11:49:46 PM
@Richard...

I have 3 hayburners... I drive a SMALL vehicle to work and back because I drive anywhere from 70 - 100 miles a day. I have a big truck, a diesel that I use just for pulling my horse trailer for riding trips and camping.
 carribeanking7
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/27/2006 1:06:12 AM
@The OP....

I dont have a car or license & I am nearly twice your age-trust me I dont have any problems getting dates....I clearly state this in my profile...........so if it was a dealbreaker for a lady she need not contact me.
My pals chaffeur me wherever I want to go- or I take a cab.

No thats not it- I think there may be other reasons.
 KnuteRoc
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:34:41 PM

Livewire said: My ex's little "problem" had to do with unpaid tickets. In CA they continue to increase if you don't pay them, until they become monstrous~~~~~Then they take away your license.

Wow, I can't believe the state gets away with that. That's really robbery. The initial fine is the cost of the infraction, adding to that is ridiculous and imo robbery.

That'd be like getting in an accident without insurance and owing X amount for the damages you caused but then having interest tacked on because you can't pay it all upfront. No one should be owed more than the infraction was worth or stipulated to be.

Take the license for non-payment, fine... but that's just ridiculous. Glad I don't live in Cali!
 KnuteRoc
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:40:37 PM
Oh, and to respond on topic... hhahaha

I can see situations where it's no big deal.

Say for instance, I have a colleague at work who doesn't have a car. He lives downtown about three or four blocks from the work location... and virtually everything is there for him that he needs, so it is actually a huge savings for him, no payments, no insurance premiums, etc.

Public transpo is running almost the whole day and a cab is always there, imagine living in NYC...

My longtime friend from the Army lives in Wrigleyville in Chicago, doesn't own a car either. He and his wife have no problem getting to where they need to...

But, for me, with the things I like to do and situation I have to have one... my kids live out of state, if that weren't an issue I might consider not owning one for a few years... but can't do it so...

For those that have had legal trouble... that can be a bummer, I can relate so don't be too hard on them unless it's really apparent that they're just plain irresponsible and not don't have a ride for other legit reasons.
 kuvopolis
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/18/2006 12:25:42 PM
There was a girl I dated who had no vehicle and lived in Central Illinois, where you really need one. To me that was a big negative, because it was hard for her to move around everywhere. I did not like the power dynamic there. Granted, there were some issues involved, so I cannot say it was a dealbreaker.

If she could do things easily without a car (e.g. lived in Boston, NYC) it would be a different story.
 thejamiecat
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/30/2006 6:31:58 PM
No I would not (granted sometimes you just never know who you'll fall for, but i wouldn't intentionally date someone without a licence)

I can't think of any reason for someone NOT to have a license that I would be willing to get myself involved in.
 ashleymp
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/1/2006 10:34:47 AM
I wouldn't even waste my time with him, period! If I drive and have a license, so should he! It's an issue of responsibility! Besides, guys without cars usually only set up "dates" so that you can drive them wherever they want to go...
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/1/2006 11:41:04 AM
If I were in NYC, then I would date a man without a car and a license.

In fact here in Cleveland, OH I met some New Yorkers that asked if we all walked underground, because they were so astounded by the lack of pedestrian traffic.

I would not date a man without a car in this area, because it is so much a part of our culture.
 CZJ_filmfan
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/1/2006 12:39:58 PM
It depends on the circumstances IMO. If the guy's really close, sure. We can meet up places that he can walk to, or I can run by and pick him up. But if the guy's really far away, and it entails me ALWAYS having to drive and pick him up, it just seems like I'm being used. Gas is expensive! I'm not gonna be a guy's wheels for whatever reason. So, if someone's really far away and has no car, it's about how we're gonna meet, and I'm had guys that just expected because I did have a car, well...naturally...I'd pick him up for everything, and he could also call for "favors". So, I generally don't like the idea, but if it's a guy that is really close to me, so I'm not being put out, and it's not being taken advantage of, I'd deal with it. But of course, I wouldn't prefer it, it's a hassle for various reasons.
 funny*fish
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/1/2006 6:32:24 PM
What about the reverse though - do guys feel this way about women not having license, etc. hmm, maybe we should ask men on a separate thread.
 funny*fish
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/1/2006 6:50:12 PM

*hugs to all non-drivers!*

Wow, just read this.. cheers back to you....I never realized this was even an issue. I don't drive because I am a danger to myself and others lol. I personally don't care if a guy has one or not, it's not up there on my list.
 frenchbearman
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2006 7:24:21 PM
Hey, if you are 65 or older I can understand ,otherwise, happy trails!
 ineedcomputerhelp
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/1/2006 7:46:33 PM
Sorry.. I live outside the city and it would be impossible to date someone without a car. !
 chameleontat
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/1/2006 7:47:09 PM
I'm seeing a woman without car or DL and couldn't care less about it. She is willing to take a cab to the airport, hop a plane and fly 4000 miles to visit me so I am certainly more than willing to drive 60 miles to the airport to meet her. She lives in downtown London where owning a car is unnecessary, unbelievably expensive and a real hassle. If she moves here she will have to get a DL and will need to have a vehicle as I live 13 miles from the nearest grocery store. I am more than willing to help her with getting both.
 studplayrico
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2006 8:20:15 PM
Is he from the NYC?
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/1/2006 11:18:14 PM
True story:
I went out on a date with a man that had a license but no car, but he insisted on driving, because he "wanted to luck like a man" when we pulled up to the valet. It was one of the worst dates ever, and a week later I ran into my waitress and her roommate, and the young woman exclaimed, "OMG! This is the woman I told you about, that I felt so sorry for her because her date was such an A$$hole!" How bad does a date have to be for your server to go home and talk about what a bad date it was?

The only reason it is applicable here is because he wanted to drive my car, and I let him!

Ten years later, I would not allow such a situation to occur, but I really tried to make an obnoxious date go smoothly.

You are too proud to be seen chauffered by a woman, but don't have a car of your own, and want to drive hers? What kind of doo-doo is that?

I know of another man that consistently was borrowing others vehicles, until one of us discovered that he had no license. What kind of doo-doo is that?

I know of two other males that would borrow their "girlfriends" cars, to pick up and take out other women! What kind of doo-doo is that???

Certainly it depends upon the individual, the specifics and the circumstances.

If I were a man would I date a woman without a job or a car? Probably not.
If she were a gold-digger and was an easy lay, and I was just looking to get laid, I might, because we would both be playing games, but I am not a game player, but I am also not a guy, so that is a hard question to answer, and I guess a whole other thread, a spin-off.
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/2/2006 1:04:43 AM
But now he is an ex-, so what else is wrong with him?
 funny*fish
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/6/2006 9:29:42 PM
Hi Charlie lol.
 azwritewoman
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:54:44 PM
I drive myself to and from dates, so how he gets there is really none of my business as long as I am not expected to provide a ride.

I can understand that some men who are new to the USA or new to an area where one cannot get around without mass transit might go through a transition period in which they save up for and buy their first car, maybe even learn to drive.

That's cool. Just don't get me involved. I'm not your mother.

thejamiecat
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/9/2006 7:06:27 AM
for me, its not an issue of not wanting to drive them or be their "mother" (though i don't want to be anyone's mother either but that's not really a car related thing, i find if thats a problem its a problem in lots of areas...)

Anyway-- and i'm sorry if i offend anyone here-- to me, no license indicates "issues" of some sort, and i dont' want to get involved in that. i really can't think of any reason for someone not to have their license that is something i'd want to get myself involved with! lost it from a DUI? nope. That intense of a phobia of cars? nope. etc... I suppose maybe if it were a medical thing, like a heart condition that made them faint or occasional seizures or something and they didn't have it intentionally to keep other drivers safe (no accidents meaning) then that might be something i'd be ok with but like others said they'd have to be self sufficient about it- i'd drive if we were together but if he can't take care of himself that's another "issue" to add that i won't get involved with!

That being said... sometimes you can't help who you fall in love with, so you never know.
 funny*fish
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/9/2006 3:55:23 PM
In answer to that:

to me, no license indicates "issues" of some sort, and i dont' want to get involved in that.

I would at least find out why that person doesn't have one. Myself, I took a couple of weeks of both practical and classroom driving lessons, then when I took the test I was so nervous, I ran through a playground zone and cut someone off while changing lanes in an intersection - this after weeks of classroom and practical lessons, hence reason enough to decide to live with public transit and cabs (which turn out to be much cheaper than owning a gas guzzling depreciating car). I would rather think of others' safety first than my own materialistic greed. I don't think we were born with an instinct to drive, and maybe some people just shouldn't have their license. (and I've seen plenty who shouldn't!)

I have waited in -40 degree whether and waited over an hour for cabs in my years, and you just get used to it.
 azwritewoman
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 7:12:10 AM
I don't care whether he has a car. I'm just not going to be his chauffer. If he can get around without my help, everything is cool. That is all I meant.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >