Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 509
view profile
History
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???Page 22 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

Most women don't want a guy without a car because he isn't able to get himself where he needs to go.

This. Now, if you're living in a place like downtown Chicago and whatnot, and everything can be done on the train or subway or bus or even walking rather swiftly -- I don't see that as a big deal to not want one out of a waste of usage. Especially when under 30. But for most people, they'll want the other to have some means of self-transportation -- or something just as reliant as that at their disposal. So in most quarters -- yeah, they'll need access to a car they can drive. OR if they have enough bling, a city where Uber is abundant and will travel just as swiftly (but will still be uncomfortable for many if they didn't know you before).

So a general rule of thumb (especially for a guy) is -- get at least a beater car with you-break-it-you-buy-it insurance. If that's unaffordable for said guy, he's got to solve that first to have reasonable pickings in the dating selection once past college age.
 RenissanceMan68
Msg: 510
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???
Posted: 3/28/2017 3:58:00 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface ?
Yeah what you just said!
Im with you on that

he's got to solve that first to have reasonable pickings in the dating selection once past college age.

Cant solve that if ones not permitted to legally drive. Some will have to accept that they have limitations and less options, so less women to potentially date
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 511
Posted: 3/29/2017 8:08:05 PM
The town that I live in just got Uber. It's still in the very early stages. In all, I've noticed about 4-5 Uber cars since December so nope, I would n't date a man that didn't have a car. Not a motorcyle, but a 4 wheeled vehicle. I have a car, that's paid for, and I expect a man to have one, too. Every time we want to go out, we gotta stand next to some telephone pole and wait for the CTS bus to come around? Get an Uber every time? Call a cab, which is about $15-20+ one way? And I've been with a carless man before. It was awful. We couldn't go anywhere because he didn't have a car and he used his friend's car but then when his friend wanted his car back, then we were back to not having a car. And yes, I had a car but my car was in TN. My person was in TX so a lot of good having a car did me when I was 800+ miles away from my beloved vehicle, lol.

Here, a man with no car is a dependent and I don't have the interest, time or energy for that mess.
 RenissanceMan68
Msg: 512
Posted: 3/30/2017 10:45:50 AM
norwegianguy
You said,

Now, if you're living in a place like downtown Chicago and whatnot, and everything can be done on the train or subway or bus or even walking rather swiftly -- I don't see that as a big deal to not want one out of a waste of usage. Especially when under 30

Some really good points you made there.

I live in the burbs of Toronto, a fairly large city with every mode of transportation imginable, from subways, to uber, to rickshaws lol

When I was 27 I owned my own home and five vehicles. I commuted in to work on our version of Wall St. I was dating ...someone (lol, gentlemen never tell) who had recently moved here, from Europe. She would take public transit down to meet me at work,and we would then commute back to the burbs... and jump in one of my rides for a quick drive home. (Once we drove back from clubbing and I blacked out behind the wheel, and over shot my city by 100 km. Turns out I have narcolepsy.) The thing was? The city. Some of the best times we shared... involved NO driving at all. Some sure did, but we had outstanding times together in the city, getting around strictly by public transit. In a hustling, bustling, fast moving city, the opportunities to show that chivalry isnt dead are boundless. Shen both myself and my ex fiancee drove our own vehicles in University, but we would meet up after class and commute back to the burbs. I remember once....her feet were SORE. I pulled off her flats, dusted off her feet, and massaged them for her. Some old lady nearly wept.
BTW? I fricking HATE feet!

So... maybe ...especially if you are a GUY who doesnt drive... ya need to look it and treat it as a glass half full. Use it as a reason to step up your game in other areas, so she really DOESNT care that you dont drive. Its...like...martial arts. I cant tell which one is best for you til I KNOW you, and if I see theres a weakness you just cant overcome? I look to other areas of strength to build upon and use to overcome that which you cannot control.

If you live an a rural area? Boy thats a tough one, plain and simple.
Rural men?
Ya might have shuck into the city to finds yourselves a wifie!
Then drag her back n tells her she is your wife, so good byes city life...
Green acres we are there!
Da da dadada, da da!
Boom boom
 SilverWings2017
Msg: 513
Posted: 4/1/2017 7:44:24 AM
Nope. I wouldn't date a man with no car and no license. The only time that has happened was a guy who messaged me revealed he had multiple DUI (license suspended) and he was on supervised release, meaning he couldn't be out after dark. Creepy!

As for them being a genuinely sick person who can't drive, no again. I am not a caregiver or a chauffeur for the disabled. Does that make me a creep? I guess in that context, it does.

This info should be in their profile so that a woman could discern his viability, otherwise it makes it horribly awkward for the unsuspecting potential to cut and run.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 514
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2017 5:12:15 PM
in places like London and New York and other major cities I get that a guy would not necessarily have a car or need one. But if he never held a licence or couldnt drive, I would wonder why...
 Lesley001
Msg: 515
Posted: 4/17/2017 2:01:54 PM
Unless he's living in a city where a car is not required (Manhattan for example), I would not date him. If he is "afraid" to drive, I think that is something he should address separately and likely with a counselor. His partner shouldn't be tasked with teaching him or helping him get over his fear because she probably won't be equipped to do so. Even if she is a counselor, she couldn't possibly be objective enough while dating him to help out.
 Railrunner
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2017 7:30:54 PM
I think I've mentioned it before, but there are some of us who do have health issues that have prevented us from driving. Years ago, I was in an accident at work, hit my head hard, went right through a windshield. A seizure condition that was long dormant (For roughly 20 years) returned with a vengence. Between that and the heavy pain pills I was put on for back damage from the same accident, I felt it was best to voluntarily hand in my license, rather than risk an accident and have the DMV take it from me. In recent months, I have again obtained my license. The seizure condition is under control again, the back injury is still there of course but I am used to the pain and take less and less medicine for it.

It was a sort of "Neither here nor there" that yes, for the most part, a man who has no license probably lost it for good reason, but for some of us, the responsible thing to do would be to NOT drive. Why risk my life and the lives of others just to prove something?

Oddly, though, I found that nearly none of the issues I had would have actually kept me from going back into railroading. Trains do have safeguards against incapacitated locomotive engineers, but think of it this way: Driving a car? Dangerous. Operating a chemical train that could wipe out an entire small town if derailed at speed? Acceptable. Kind of makes you wonder.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 517
Posted: 4/25/2017 8:39:25 PM
I'm one of those weird people that loves taking the bus. Talking to people at the stop, saying hi to regular drivers. So I go to every other corner of the city. So absolutely I would.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 518
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2017 11:05:05 AM

As for them being a genuinely sick person who can't drive, no again. I am not a caregiver or a chauffeur for the disabled. Does that make me a creep? I guess in that context, it does.

Well, princess, luckily for them, they've made it this far on their own or without a car, so they're not looking for a caregiver or chauffeur. They're looking for someone to date, who enjoys their company not their living situation. If he can get there without a car, WTF is the big deal?

Is this REALLY about "I might have to drive us places" or is it about being way more superficial when it comes to relationships?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 519
Posted: 4/26/2017 11:21:23 AM

Is this REALLY about "I might have to drive us places" or is it about being way more superficial when it comes to relationships?

Both.

Disney movies still rake in the dough.

The fairy tale mentality is still alive and well.

"Someday my prince will come......"

While 65 million people-the most in history- around the world are displaced refugees with more important things to worry about.
 gtomustang
Msg: 520
Posted: 4/26/2017 4:02:59 PM
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. The internet, with millions of people...is not the land of the blind.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 521
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2017 3:19:39 PM
men are so into cars and machines it would very unusual for a successful desirable man not have wheels unless he has health issues or a bad record. I wouldnt bother with him frankly. A man driving my car, no thanks or having to use public transport for outings etc.....pass...
 gtomustang
Msg: 522
Posted: 5/2/2017 6:22:24 PM
"A man driving my car"

>>>I've had a few dates ask me to drive their car. Don't know if its b/c I like cars so they trust me with their's, or they just trust me, or they don't like driving.
 Maleman999
Msg: 523
Posted: 5/3/2017 6:45:14 AM
Their are still women who like to go back and forth on traditional roles versus modern women roles, where some feel driving is "a man's job". Just like paying for dates, where a lot of women still think it's a man's job to pay for dates-even if the woman makes as much or more than the man she's with.
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 524
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2017 12:27:04 PM
I would not. If he can get a bus or taxi here and take me out in a taxi. OK. It is not a date if I am driving.
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 525
Posted: 5/3/2017 12:57:04 PM
I would not either. When I was much younger and on foot myself, I would tolerate a man who wasn't mobile but at this age (30), no. My expectations change as I get older and with cars as common as they are, why date someone who doesn't have one when there's so many other people out there who do have one?
 south_city
Msg: 526
Posted: 5/14/2017 7:55:40 AM
It is often about location. A big city or maybe an inner suburb would have plenty of public transportation available so a person without a car may not be dependent on another person for driving. But this is probably not the case in a more distant suburb or rural area.

Also a person that lost his/her license due to multiple DWIs would probably be a dealbreaker to many people even if (s)he didn't depend on the other person for transportation. In general, people might be somewhat more forgiving if a person didn't drive due to medical reasons.
 Maleman999
Msg: 527
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:47:50 PM
Would a hunting or fishing license be enough to satisfy the "must have license" crowd?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 528
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:50:39 PM

Would a hunting or fishing license be enough to satisfy the "must have license" crowd?

How about a "license to kill" like James Bond?

"Goldfinger....

He's the man

The man with the Midas touch

A spider's touch"
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 529
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2017 11:11:27 PM

It is often about location. A big city or maybe an inner suburb would have plenty of public transportation available so a person without a car may not be dependent on another person for driving.

I agree that it has to do with location, but, I wouldn't say an inner suburb. Geographically in the US, it's the exception, not the rule that it can be OK not having a car. Now, not having a license? That can end up creating a question mark if they've been situated in a big city like Chicago, as I think it'd be more like "Yeah, and I grew up here and never planned on ever moving out," that would be a reasonable explanation.

But in the end, if one's 25+ years old not living in one of the few metropolis, nor buried in the heart of a big city where work is and comfortably is for many people, a quick jaunt away without a car while paying for parking & housing of a car is outrageous on top of it -- it'll only be a negative and cost points on their dating value. Being 25+ living where they're merely close to a bus stop in 99% of the US geography, so "Hey, who needs a car, right?" -- I don't think anyone's going to buy that. :)
 siisaa
Msg: 530
Posted: 8/26/2018 11:10:22 PM

with cars as common as they are, why date someone who doesn't have one when there's so many other people out there who do have one?

This. The vast majority of able-bodied, gainfully employed men around my age have a vehicle. There wouldn't be any reason to date someone who didn't have one UNLESS he's a guy I already knew and had some investment in. If we're talking about strangers, online or off, then hell no I'm not dating a carless dude. With new people, I don't care about the reasons for not having a license. I'll just date someone else or stay home.

My ex-fiance did not have a car when we first met. However, we met in grad school and spent a great deal of time on campus together AND at social outings with our other classmates. Our program was pretty small with about 35 students and many of us would go to dinner, drinks & the club together on the weekends...we needed to decompress! Him not having a car didn't prevent us from spending time together. He didn't get a car until we had been dating for about 4-5 months. That car got stolen and he was carless again but by then, we were already an established couple so I didn't mind. I drove him around but he was also very self-sufficient with public transit. Got another vehicle a few months later and it was a non-issue.
 cooldog65
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2018 9:52:25 PM
^^^ It's always funny when you agree with your own quote under a previous username...
 Seahorse_Jockey
Msg: 532
Posted: 8/28/2018 8:11:17 AM
Dating someone with no car works both ways. I dated a woman who had no car, and I often felt like a cab driver or chauffeur. Every time she needed to go somewhere, I would get a call and request for a ride. I asked her, since she has no car, would she or did she date a guy who also didn't have a vehicle. She said she wouldn't date a guy who didn't have a car.
 julystorm22
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2018 12:22:53 PM
I would never ever date a guy without a vehicle of his own. I don't live in a place with public transportation so if you don't have a car, its pretty difficult to get a good job unless you taxi it or work at a lower-paying job. A guy without a car makes me automatically assume he has had DUIs and lost his license. Maybe in a big city it wouldn't be such a big deal because I know of guys who bike everywhere but in my neck of the woods, a guy needs his own ride.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >