Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many of you would date a man with no car or license???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 576
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???Page 24 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
Are you kidding? How does he work? Or does he not work because he can't get there? Appointments?

I know plenty of IT professionals that don't have a car. How they get the work? By transit or by bike. There's a guy in Montreal that bikes everywhere and goes to Australia to go for a nice bike ride. I guess you wonder how he can afford to go there right? You assume he doesn't have a job? I ride practically everywhere with my mountain bike. I ride 365 days of the year. If I do really need a car I can rent one by the hour but I never needed it. I love riding my bike. I'm not contributing to the pollution. With all the money I save I can buy myself a new computer and mountain bike.

When I had a car I rode my mountain bike most of the time. Eventually I sold my car because I wasn't riding it often enough.
 JokerJoan
Msg: 577
view profile
History
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:53:18 AM
Its very sad in this day that we meet so many very selfish people in this world ! hey if the shoe was on the other foot and these people lived that way Is the world gona Stop and help them? Were all humans.... And yes I also live that way All my life I never drove never a license...It didn't stop my life I married had children went to work every day and i'm still alive still doing, Yes i would hope they would Stop people who drive drunk if that would stop them becouse they can kill more than there life .......I'm sure there is a way threw others ,familys and transportion ,Buses there is more help out there today than ever before. We should all try to help you never know when your the one who needs it .
 browneyesboo
Msg: 578
Posted: 8/5/2011 12:00:16 PM

Its very sad in this day that we meet so many very selfish people in this world ! hey if the shoe was on the other foot and these people lived that way Is the world gona Stop and help them? Were all humans.... And yes I also live that way All my life I never drove never a license...It didn't stop my life I married had children went to work every day and i'm still alive still doing, Yes i would hope they would Stop people who drive drunk if that would stop them becouse they can kill more than there life .......I'm sure there is a way threw others ,familys and transportion ,Buses there is more help out there today than ever before. We should all try to help you never know when your the one who needs it .

What the heck are you talking about? The question was how many of you would DATE
a man with no car or license? People are selfish because they choose not to? Really?

sportsgirl7700
Msg: 579
Posted: 8/5/2011 1:47:24 PM
This post is pissing me off!

Seriously people...there is NOTHING wrong with NOT wanting to date someone who doesn't have a vehicle (or license)!! It DOESN'T make us selfish or materialistic. It is a CHOICE. Just as you made the choice NOT to own a vehicle (or get a license), we made the choice to own a vehicle and have a license...

Every situation is different. I can understand that. Living in a city, or simply not having a problem with doing all the driving in the relationship etc... and I know that every one will have an opinion on this just like everything else, but- REALLY! To cast stones simply because we do not agree is silly and uncalled for.

For those who don't drive- why not date someone who also doesn't drive since you feel so passionately about it- and stop being so rude to those of us who simply want to SHARE the responsibility of driving.
 DarrinTheEyewitness
Msg: 580
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 3:49:34 PM

Seriously people...there is NOTHING wrong with NOT wanting to date someone who doesn't have a vehicle (or license)!! It DOESN'T make us selfish or materialistic. It is a CHOICE. Just as you made the choice NOT to own a vehicle (or get a license), we made the choice to own a vehicle and have a license...

That is a misleading half-truth. There is more to it than choices. People who have trouble finding employment or can't afford a car for whatever reason don't have that choice. Furthermore, nobody chooses to graduate driver's ed. The instructor makes the choice for the student, and if someone is a bad driver, they certainly don't have the choice.

Every situation is different. I can understand that. Living in a city, or simply not having a problem with doing all the driving in the relationship etc... and I know that every one will have an opinion on this just like everything else, but- REALLY! To cast stones simply because we do not agree is silly and uncalled for.

No rock chucking on my end. Though, there are quite a few drivers here who have made it clear that they have a high opinion of themselves and a low opinion of people who don't have a license or a car.

For those who don't drive- why not date someone who also doesn't drive.

Alright, will do.
 SaharaM
Msg: 581
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 8:15:01 PM

This post is pissing me off!

For those who don't drive- why not date someone who also doesn't drive since you feel so passionately about it- and stop being so rude to those of us who simply want to SHARE the responsibility of driving.

Don't let it get to you.

Here's what's going on: Those who don't drive are feeling defensive by the suggestion that it might not be an attractive quality in a mate. Thus, they are going on the defensive and trying to play the victim.

Let it be their issue, not yours.

No worries!
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 582
Posted: 8/7/2011 1:47:42 AM

Here's what's going on: Those who don't drive are feeling defensive by the suggestion that it might not be an attractive quality in a mate. Thus, they are going on the defensive and trying to play the victim.

Let it be their issue, not yours.

Defensive? Just because I express my opinion? No victim when it's a choice. I could careless if a woman refuses to date me for whatever reason, there's more fish in the sea. I certainly wouldn't take a woman seriously on a dating site refusing to date me for any reason, since most of them are unrealistic when it comes to choosing a partner anyways.
 tamithomas1
Msg: 583
Posted: 8/29/2011 1:41:02 PM
Honestly I think people here are judging other people way to much. I have met a guy on here that does not have his license right now and for a reason that I will not speak of because it is not my place to. But I can tell you that he is a real catch of a guy and I am glad I met him. Some people go through things in life that either they can change on their own or things change for them by the people they meet and have in their lives. I would definitely dated this guy in a commited relationship and drive him where ever he needs to go. Your heart doesn't fall for a drivers license or a car it falls for the person and how they treat you. You can either meet a guy with a car and license and he can be a complete ASS or you can meet a guy on here without the license and car and he could be the prince charming but alot of you would never know that because of how judgemental you are being. Enough Said!!!!
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 584
Posted: 8/29/2011 2:08:15 PM
I would never date a woman that doesn't have a license , A car no big deal but no license at our age? nahhhhhh I will pass most time, of course there are medical exceptions
 CALLMEAT11PM
Msg: 585
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 2:36:51 PM
tamithomas..You can either meet a guy with a car and license and he can be a complete ASS or you can meet a guy on here without the license and car and he could be the prince charming but alot of you would never know that because of how judgemental you are being. Enough Said!!!!

you are so right! these people in these forums are very judgemental because most of them are losers. i look at these clowns like who in the hell are you to be judging me? lmao! just look ast them, i can see why most of them are alone.
 lilaflower912
Msg: 586
Posted: 8/29/2011 8:23:16 PM
OP, I think the situation COULD work, but to be honest, I would only date a no license/no car guy if he lived pretty close to me. I've had guys write to me saying they had no car or license, and they lived 60-100 miles from my town! I live in an area where there are NO subways and public transpo like busses are pretty much a joke with getting you anywhere on time. It's pretty clear that kind of situation would have a hard time working if you were having to drive 120-200 miles there and back each date and foot the bill for all the gas you'd be having to buy.

Now, if the guy lived pretty close, chipped in for gas occasionally, and seemed receptive to GETTING his license eventually, then I wouldn't have a problem with that.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 587
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:40:05 PM
CALLMEAT11PM is so right. It's funny to see people with so many flaws on here act so high and mighty. It's like, what makes YOU such a great catch that you can just cast people aside for not having a pile of metal?
On that note, it is so sad that so many feel this way. It's so bad that, even as a legally blind person, I've had to go out and get a license and learn to drive, just so all these idiots don't judge me and overlook me. I've had to bust my butt to get special glasses, special training and modified vehicles, just so I can drive. It also helps though that I hate taking the bus in my area and hate walking in 110 degree heat, but still..it's pretty ridiculous that I've had to go to such lengths so morons don't find me subpar. Morons don't realize that not everyone has this choice you're rambling about, because some have disabilities that prevent them from driving. I just happen to be lucky enough to have enough vision to squeak by.
But, for those who have no choice and get overlooked by idiots just because you can never drive, you deserve better than these dullards anyway, so keep your head up, especially if you see me coming at you in a car, wearing my bioptic glasses.
 forumjunkie942
Msg: 588
Posted: 8/31/2011 10:48:19 PM
I suppose I would need to answer the question in reverse.

If I liked her enough, then no, I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

On the flip side, as a man, if I didn't, I know it would be perceived as a sign of lack of wealth and I would be judged harshly for it. Men on our society are harshly judged for anything showing a lack of earning power.

Generally I find most questions about a man's lack of worthiness usually to be related back to money, one way or another.
 jonrye
Msg: 589
Posted: 9/1/2011 1:25:09 AM
Too bad you don't live in San Jose then.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 590
Posted: 9/1/2011 4:53:54 AM
* rolling my eyes* ...I love it when I read people calling other people idiots for posting they don't want to meet people that doesn't drive or has a license, you call them judgmental but you call them idiots? talking calling the kettle black?

It think some of you high and mighty people better take a look and take a good long look in the mirror before you decide to throw stones.

You cant or shouldn't be upset with some folks for having preferences, you don't know the reason why they don't want to meet a person that doesn't drive or has a license, just like we for the most part don't know why they don't have a license or car, if its because of a medical reason, for most of us its not a big deal, if its because of of a DUI/DWI, or laziness etc and I cant speak for others but I will pass.

I swear some of you are like politicians talking out of both side of your lips.
 sportsgirl7700
Msg: 591
Posted: 9/1/2011 7:08:27 AM
"I've had to go out and get a license and learn to drive, just so all these idiots don't judge me and overlook me. "

Why would you want to date an "idiot" who would judge you and overlook you if you hadn't gotten your licence?

"You cant or shouldn't be upset with some folks for having preferences, you don't know the reason why they don't want to meet a person that doesn't drive or has a license."

Exactly. Everyone has preferences. I bet those who are upset at those who wouldn't date someone without a car/license have some other preference of their own...Perhaps they will only date someone who is educated or doesn't have children, or someone who is really hot...who knows? It is ok either way. It is the name calling that I don't care for. So what? People can have preferences...big deal. Doesn't make anyone "better" than anyone else.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 592
Posted: 9/1/2011 10:57:45 AM
Not dating someone who doesn't drive because they're lazy is one thing, yes I agree, but discriminating against a non-driver because they have a disability is what's gross.
Everyone has preferences and I have mine too, but I'm open to other things as well that may not fit into my preferences. For instance, I prefer an educated guy, but have met several very smart and successful guys who don't have college degrees.
We all have preferences, but when people aren't open at all to others outside those preferences, that's what many of us consider shallow.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 593
Posted: 9/1/2011 11:22:37 AM
Oh I see what you're saying about discriminating against someone because of a disability, is really discriminating or is it being realistic? Why is it shallow not being attracted to some one outside our preference?

Every one discriminates , and those that says they don't are either naive, lying or oblivious to the real world, would you date a 5 ft 6 fat guy weighing 230 lbs plus, that has 2 degrees, IQ hovering around 140?
 sportsgirl7700
Msg: 594
Posted: 9/1/2011 12:49:34 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
It is amusing how this is actually someone's thought process...

Now on to my thoughts:
If I was already dating someone and their car broke down- i'm sure he would take the necessary measures to get it fixed and in the meantime, I would certainly help him out with rides etc during the interim. Having a vehicle is very important to alot of people in order to get to and from work (I travel for my job) and other places, so if something happened to my car- I would be damn sure to do whatever I needed to do to get it fixed. I would never want to depend on anyone to get around or in turn be anyone's taxi- but you do what you have to do sometimes to help out the people you care about.

Just because some prefer to date people with cars does not mean they are not looking for love or a relationship...come on now, are you kidding with that statement???

In my opinion, a relationship is 50/50. I do for you, you do for me. I drive on Friday night, you drive on Saturday etc. It is called meeting half way and sharing responsibilities...that in my opinion is a big deal. So, therefore I date men who drive- like me.

Like I said before, maybe those who don't drive or own a car should date others who don't drive or own a car.

I don't see the problem here...

AND- I would NEVER discriminate against someone with a disability- that is just wrong!
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 595
Posted: 9/1/2011 2:26:47 PM
Looking at this thread, I wonder how anyone got any dates in the 18oo's?

Cdn_Iceman, Though I'm guessing I probably wouldn't be attracted to a guy like that, I wouldn't automatically rule out any possibility of me ever falling for someone like that. Stranger things have happened. That's what I mean though. I obviously don't prefer someone like that, but you never know what could happen.
I understand the people not wanting to be someone's taxi or anything, but I just think that sucks for people who really have no choice, like totally blind people or many in wheelchairs. But, I guess this is all a moot point for people in places like New York City and most European cities.
 ziggygurl316
Msg: 596
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 1:51:51 AM
No car? I guess that would be fine, although from where I live, a car is a necessity. If we live in a big city in the east coast where public transportation is reliable then I guess it's not a big deal. But from where I live, it pretty much reflects on someone- no car may be slightly okay- a lifestyle choice maybe-but even that is being considerate. But no license? That may scream irresponsible and lazy. It doesn't even have to be a newer car. Just something that runs and could take you from point A to B.
 sexymind85
Msg: 597
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:01:10 PM
I'm more attracted to a man with a vehicle AND a valid license to operate said vehicle. My personal experience with certain men has shown me that the lack of these two things is the result of some rather irresponsible decisions. There are exceptions to every situation, but the vast majority of men I've ever met without a vehicle have felt more than comfortable trying to take advantage of my driving ability. Which can make me feel like a mommy, rather than an equal partner.
 Railrunner
Msg: 598
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 9:55:10 PM
Reading some of the replies makes me wonder a bit:

I have talked to my doctor some more. He feels that we are starting to get my seizure condition controlled to where he could clear me to drive. He wants to wait a minimum of another six months though...

Now, I am familiar with operating heavy machinery. At least in Illinois, one can operate museum trains at age 16. I did just that myself.

I found I was pretty good at operating old diesel locomotives. Crazy bit is, I have depth sensing problems looking out a car windshield and figuring how close an obsticle, such as a parking bumper, is, but looking down the right side of a 30 foot locomotive hood was no problem; Rarely did I couple cars too hard from not closing throttle in time.

Granted a locomotive is easier in some respects as it is on a track, and need not be steered, but the trade-off is that you don't have simple gas and brake pedals: you have a power throttle that feeds more or less electricity from the diesel generator, to the electric motors on the axles. Then you have the independent brake (the locomotive's own brakes), the train brake (An air brake running the length of the train), and in some cases a dynamic brake (Never used at museums). Takes a LOT of hand co-ordination.

Does it matter that I have had experience operating a locomotive? True it doesn't do much for getting to dates, but it does say something for responsibility. After all, I was operating locomotives that are 60+ years old, and in some cases, the last of their type in existence.
 L4LB
Msg: 599
Posted: 9/16/2011 6:49:43 AM
Unfortunately this is not the 1800's. I recently met a guy who had no car and no credit cards citing he was doing things the old fashioned way. I am from NYC and the car thing is not such a big deal with the subway but it still takes 2 hours one way to get to places not in your neighborhood. I dated a couple of guys without a car and eventually I was driving everywhere. It was annoying and it felt like these guys were not responsible enough to get around. It is up to the individual. As far as I go, a car is a must. I go by the rule that if I have it you should too.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 600
Posted: 9/16/2011 11:39:42 AM

and no credit cards

So; you want a man who owes people and doesnt live off of his own volition.

;)

Got it.

No credit cards is a bad thing?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many of you would date a man with no car or license???