Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 azwritewoman
Msg: 125
view profile
History
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???Page 3 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
One last thought... where I live, taking a cab regularly would bankrupt most poeple. Buses don't go everywhere and where they do go, it takes forever to get there. Public transit is not practical for most people to use.

A car here is a necessity unless you happen to live, work and shop in walking distance. Good luck with finding a place like that, although my mother - who has never learned to drive for medical reasons - is able to do just that.

So, use public transit if you must. Don't own a car. Just don't ask me to cart you around in mine.
 funny*fish
Msg: 127
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???
Posted: 12/10/2006 11:55:24 AM
There are pros and cons. Yes, I do live and work centrally, so it is easy to walk to places or cab. But then walking in the dark isn't good. Some people need a vehicle - I think if you don't have a license it would be difficult to live, say, out of town or away from public transit. That's a lot of the reason I live close to things. I may still try to get a license again, but right now I would rather not run over someone's child and walk to a grocery store, so I just adapt. I do wish I could drive out to the outlet malls, or Ikea etc but it is still cheaper to take cabs within the city than owning a vehicle. The only thing that may be cheaper would be to rent cars on say weekends. If I dated someone I would ofcourse compromise, I'm sure there are things one could do, share cabs, pay for gas, or find things to do to balance it out.
 thejamiecat
Msg: 128
Posted: 12/10/2006 4:08:37 PM
there's a difference between not having a license and not having a CAR.
 MrSandMan67
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2006 6:38:45 PM
Not having a licence or a car can definately effect your feelings of self-worth, and your dating habits... I had to give up driving and most of my other outdoor passions several years ago due to health problems (flash migraines with total blindness), & it's been a real challenge, both personaly, & socialy...

It's sad how quickly you can be left behind my your 'peers' when you nolonger meet the status quo... Middle age hit me like a brick wall, & for a long time I didn't feel like I was 'worth' dating, especialy within my preferences. I'd like to think my changing tastes are a sign of 'maturity' rather than accepting to 'settle', but it's still difficult. How often do you step back & think " Am I attracted to this person becuase we actualy connect, or am I just tired of being alone?"... So many variables, not enough answers.

Somewhat of a ramble, but that's the view inside one non-driver...

Wolf
 asp_industries
Msg: 133
Posted: 12/14/2006 6:43:08 PM
well if you have no car how can you take girl out on a date?
by bus?
 MrSandMan67
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2006 6:58:21 PM
Back when it was affordable, I'd simply rent a car & driver for the evening... Or, like many other urbanites, call a taxi... Now that I'm a bit more budgeted, taxi & occationaly the bus has to do... Of course, that's only if they don't drive... ;)

Wolf
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 135
Posted: 12/14/2006 10:54:25 PM
Is it my imagination or do men just not have a desire to have anything in life anymore??? They are either on disability (not their fault), retired with NOT enough money but won't work a job, live in crappy places and then wants to stay at YOUR place all the time, or if they have anything then they are either married or have ego's and attitudes the size of EARTH!!!
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 136
Posted: 12/16/2006 9:06:18 AM
When I first got involved in animal rescue by volunteering at a no kill shelter across the street, I briefly became involved with a man that worked at the shelter.

He was nothing like what I am attracted to, but he was nice to me, so I kept trying to learn to like him.

When I was ill, he volunteered to walk my adopted dog for me, which I gratefully accepted. Then, I found out from several independent sources that he body slammed my dog as a form of discipline, which I found completely unacceptable.

He had even borrowed my car once, as well as regularly borrowing cars at the shelter to run errands.

When I told him that I felt nothing for him, and I tried and it just wasn't there, he began stalking me. I wound up having to do a police report against him! In doing the report, it was discovered that he had no license.

This man knew he had no license, left a trade making $30 an hour to scoop poop which was walking distance from his home, and borrowed cars regularly. I became the villain for notifying them that he had no license. Why do people have to lie?

I think more than not having a license is finding out why they do not have a license before rendering final judgement.
 Selfish_Prick!
Msg: 138
Posted: 12/16/2006 5:25:06 PM
I have dated alot of women and have no car. I do have a license. I have had 3 girl friends...long terms that drove. And two of them let me drive their car when we were together. I have a method to the madness.
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 152
Posted: 12/21/2006 9:14:25 AM
I am going to climb out on a limb here and suggest that relationships of economic parity have a higher chance of success. If the man I am dating cannot afford a car, and that is why he doesn't have one, then I most likely would not pursue that relationship.

Personally, I would not lend someone my car, because what if they wreck it? However, I would more often than not give them a ride. I have lent so much that has never been returned that there is no way I am going to hand over the keys to my car. [ASIDE: Isn't it wonderful when people lend their cars away, and they get wrecked, how many people call the police after getting that phone call from the borrower, to report their cars stolen?]

If I had a child, I would expect to be their chauffeur, but in a dating relationship, I want an equal, not a dependant.

Of course, I can imagine exceptions, such as owning one's house and having every necessity within short proximity. In NYC, it is such a pedestrian climate there, and I have an 80 year-old friend that has never owned a car and never needed one, and parking is just astronomical. If I lived in NYC, I would date a man without a car, but I live in Cleveland, OH and that is an entirely different set of factors.

Not having a license or a car may be a symptom of a greater disease. Not every case is textbook, but you have to look at the odds.
 tcky123
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/21/2006 9:42:14 PM
if it bother op this much why not buy him a car??
 TriciaLVZFriends
Msg: 155
Posted: 12/24/2006 4:52:05 AM
It truly is a subjective thing based on location. As stated, in NYC there is so much within walking distance, and they have public transportation down to an art, that I could totally understand ANYONE not having a car.

Here in California, we are almost defined by the fact we drive. Hence the congested freeways at all hours of the day and every day of the week! But I digress....

In California, not only can u lose ur license for DUI's and tickets, but now u can lose ur license and car if u don't carry auto insurance. They DMV just cancels ur registration, and if u are caught driving without insurance, they impound ur car and don't have to give it back.

Also in California (can u tell where I live?) if you are ordered to pay child support and fail to do so, they suspend your drivers license. Unfortunatly, it takes the court system over 5 years of non-payment to do this. So if I met a man who couldn't drive because he didn't pay his child support, I wouldn't want to date him anyway.

If he didn't pay his auto insurance, I'd ask why, and depending on the reason, I probably woudn't date him either. I mean can u think of a reason why he can't pay for insurance? I now u are thinking high rates, but if his rates are high, it is usually because he has had alot of accidents or tickets, or drives an expensive car. Either way, it is his own doing.

And I am speaking of liability only, that is all the state requires.

Because in certain areas in California there is a problem with falsified documents, the DMV has now implemented a program starting Jan 1 that ELECTRONICALLY TIES A CARS LICENSE PLATES AND THE INSURANCE COVERAGE. (Or lack thereof!) Ahhh the computer age!
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 156
Posted: 12/24/2006 6:53:20 AM
tricialvsfriends,

It is the same here in Ohio regarding insurance and child support. Driving is a privilege and not a right.

Our BMV will send out random notices to provide proof of insurance, and if you do not remit the proof within the specified time, your driving privileges are suspended. When one signs for their registration, they are asseting that they have financial responsiblity.

To me, driving without insurance is a criminal act. If you wreck someone else's car and do not have insurance, then guess who has to pay? The Victim. Sure, if they carry uninsured motorist coverage, then their company will pay; however, whenever one is repairing their own vehicle, the claimant must pay the deductible. Thus, what is the difference between stealing $500 outright from another person, or driving without insurance, wrecking their car, and causing them to have to pay a $500 deductible? Either way, the victim is out of $500, because of the culprits actions.

Regarding child support, that is a catch-22. If you need a car for work, so that you can earn money to pay your child support, but your license gets supspended so you cannot drive, and then you lose income, then this just seems to be a downward spiral. The System needs to come up with a better way!

If you knew how many people drive under suspension, then you would understand how ineffective this child support maneuver really is.
 HollandHoney
Msg: 158
Posted: 12/24/2006 1:41:17 PM
If you are a college age person or live in a major city with mass transport it's understandable not to have a car. If these situations don't apply, I'd say it's a definite no-go. Chances are the guy is going to (wind up) liv(ing) with his parents until they force him to move out. Not taking the opportunity for independence or accepting the responsibility for a major purchase reeks of immaturity. A driver's license and car ownership are rights of passage into adulthood.
 JennRNikki
Msg: 160
Posted: 12/24/2006 2:04:54 PM
I prefer a guy with a licence/car. I find that getting my licence and eventually a car has made me independent and more responsible. I'm 24, its one of the basic things that people get as they get older. I mean, why would they make getting your licence availabe at age 16? I just think its a great accomplishment getting your licence. It shows independence and it also shows goals being set, which in the long term, shows that kind of person he/she is. If someone chooses not to get their licence, then I assume they rely on other public transportation which is fine. However, I dont like it when people rely or 'bum' rides off others and never rely on public transportation. It shows laziness and lack of motivation in my eyes. I myself would be almost embarassed having to have others drive me around. I did that when I was a youngster, but I've grown since then!
 HollandHoney
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/25/2006 5:50:52 PM
Actually, the title of the post is "How many of you would date a MAN with no car or license???"....
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:18:48 PM
I think to base a relationship on if a man has or has no car and or licence does lend itself to the shallowness and materialism men see and avoid in women. But, in the same moment I can understand that you may want someone other than yourself to be able to drive or get around to places where there is a lack of public transportation. But, lets imagine before the days of automobiles. Men and women would travel via foot, horse, camel, etc. to get to the one they loved. If love is true, it requires no car or licence. And note...There is always a cab.
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:19:02 PM
I think to base a relationship on if a man has or has no car and or licence does lend itself to the shallowness and materialism men see and avoid in women. But, in the same moment I can understand that you may want someone other than yourself to be able to drive or get around to places where there is a lack of public transportation. But, lets imagine before the days of automobiles. Men and women would travel via foot, horse, camel, etc. to get to the one they loved. If love is true, it requires no car or licence. And note...There is always a cab.
 spybeach
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/16/2007 2:40:12 PM
It shows lack of responsibility and how would he work? If I was a gal I would steer clear for those reasons not materialistic ones.
 Pastrychef47
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2007 4:54:39 PM
I think most of you are shallow, is all your relationship's base on does he have a car and if not no you'll not go out with that person, there such a thing as a BC ID card to show you can get into a bar or liq/store or write chq's.

Ever think just for a moment is he cute or do you say to yourself gee I wonder if he has a car.

People these day's base there chance on life to have lived and loved someone based on a car is STUPID.
 hywman3p
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2007 7:00:24 PM
umm in the states only 12 $ to get license.I've ran the highways in the states-----Yes I can see that..Up here they pay more and get less.

If one doesn't want to drive--so be it-- I still would NOT Date Him LOL Maybe a Her though
 Ninki
Msg: 183
Posted: 1/29/2007 7:07:45 PM
"How do you even cash your paycheck or even write one to a store with no drivers lincense?"

bornsyn, in my case, I walk to work, my paychecks are automatically deposited into my bank account (every employee's check is) and why in the world anyone still writes checks in stores is something I'll never understand. I haven't written a check in a store in years. That's what debit cards are for. I work as a cashier, and those people without driver's licences who do write checks show either a military ID or an ID card from the DMV. I'm unable to drive for various reasons; I've never had a license nor a car. So in my case, I'd prefer a guy who drives, because I don't.

Ninki
 Tequila Sunrise1
Msg: 184
Posted: 1/29/2007 7:43:48 PM
Not for me, i'm not BMW-ing it on a date/in a relationship....i have a car, i want him to as well..
If he's afraid to drive, he's not for me (too anxious and uptight)..most men i've dated either drive as fast or faster than me LMAO!
I like the fact that my wheels will carry me anywhere, anytime..his need to do the same for me!
 Fun_Jess
Msg: 188
Posted: 1/30/2007 2:36:39 PM
seems like all the men I have dated have no cars or licence.
 neonmech
Msg: 189
Posted: 1/30/2007 5:13:51 PM
Man a lot of this is messed up. I can understand not wanting to date someone if they were simply too lazy to get their license but it's not always that simple.

I'm a man who doesn't have a license for "other" legal reasons. I'm hard working and decently successful at what I do. Being seen as a deadbeat because of 1 thing seems pretty harsh to me.

Then again, I guess its the typical culture/mentality in the states. It's not quite as important in other countries.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >