Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Deeptrolling
Msg: 227
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???Page 4 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

No car, no license = loser
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 228
view profile
History
How many of you would date a man with no car or license???
Posted: 2/8/2007 7:23:18 PM
When we first started dating, my ex husband had no job, no car, no license. Notice he is now my EX..I was naive, stupid and in love.

Don't blame every man for what your ex did. It is not mine or any other man's fault that he decided not to make something of himself. I personal am someone and I never needed a car for that. It was my actions that made something of me.

1. I go to college, making that my main focus so that I CAN get that career I desire.
2. I have defended my country with ALL my mind, body, and spirit.
3. I have had 5 poems and 3 pictures published and serval of them have won a few awards.
4. I have helped repaint a school in Thailand.
5. I have been on the Dean's list twice since coming back to college and participate in their talent shows.
6. I have had command of my own section which is more often reserved for a Marine of higher rank.

And guess what...I did all these things without a car or licence. And when I DID have a car, I so much wanted to move back to the city so I did not need one. To me the money that went into that car was just about twice as much as it cost ($1500). With that experience and the experiences my family has with cars, I will only get one IF I really need one. Not because some it will attract more women.
 musicnut46
Msg: 229
Posted: 2/8/2007 8:52:04 PM
Of course ..."shit" happens and 1 out ofr 4 vehicles shouldn't be on the road period. Get a life alkies. It tends to prevent ya from even having friends. Piss on 'em all. Single,alcoholic=**** or ***hole. Get to know why he can't,it's a luxury,not a god-given right. Anyone who judges by it shoul be banned from dating period. "You and me go driving when we're drunk,get stopped by a cop and put in the drunk tank".
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2007 10:21:55 PM
I know I sound harsh and angry it is that why put your happiness on the fringes of a car. Especially if said car could breakdown or be totally destroyed tomorrow? Why base your love only on beauty that will more than likely fade when you get older? I can understand not wanting a man (or woman) who isn't doing anything for themselves, no one can fault you on that. But, people a person is not their possessions. Just because they have it all does not mean they are going to treat you like the world. And I am not saying that it is wrong to have that preference, but when you use it to be a determining factor in asking a man or woman out, then maybe something is wrong.
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2007 12:44:07 PM
Does he or she need an excuse if they just DON'T want one? But, to be honest, why worry. They are happy and still can find dates. We are not the maker or breaker of their lives and they are not the maker or breaker of ours. So, yeah. If a car is one of the things that makes you happy in a relationship...Go for it. It is not stopping from finding happiness or that person you refuse to date, because they are just as happy with or without you.
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2007 12:48:35 PM
Does he or she need an excuse if they just DON'T want one? Some people just DON'T want the hassles of a car and I can understand them on that. Just like you just DON'T want someone without a car I can understand that. And in the end, it does not matter if you turn them down or accept them. It does not matter if you are in their life or not. It is neither of one of your's lost or gain. Because, guess what, someone will love either one of you none the less. And there is no professional solid study that saids a person is any better off or worst of with or without the materialistic things we figure are important to use because, there is someone who will still love us for who we are and inspite of who we are. And that is the true beauty of love.
 texfleabite
Msg: 235
Posted: 2/9/2007 2:58:09 PM
Ok I am gonna have to post one more reply to this one more time and make a confession..... Not 6 months ago I was dating a man that didn't have a car, I drove him to work the bar and where ever else he wanted. When I was tired I would give him the keys. ..... The saying goes "give a user a inch and the will take a mile." Before I knew it I was letting him take my car "my new car" to Dallas to San Antonio and dropping my ass off at work! Some times I would wake up at night and find that he had taken it to IHOP while I was asleep.When I told him he was gonna have to get his own car we got into a big fight and broke up.... But you know what? I could have not given a sh.. because I had my car back, with gas in it and saving alot more money....

Pssst.... it's not shallow it's being cautious.........
 melbyshelby2
Msg: 237
Posted: 2/9/2007 3:23:22 PM
It would depend on why. If it they can't afford it, rather putting money on an education or home then that is different. But if it is because of a bucket full of fines or drinking and driving, and they lost their license then no way. The answer for me is no because you will be the one driving them around, paying for all the maintenance and gas, and then when they get their licenses back and then get a car - do they make it up to you by driving you? No.... they are free now to come and go as they please... Do I sound like I'm talking from experience....hell ya ... argh LOL.
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2007 3:27:11 PM
Tex...First and foremost this is not a blame game but one that you obviously stated, YOU allowed him to use you. Let me put it like this, if I have a car and my girl does not have a car and she needs a ride to work, I would be like how did you get to work before you met me? You chose to let him use your car...No matter how my I love an SO, unless she is my wife, she either is going to find an alternative means to get where she wants to go or she is going to stay her butt home. But, she is not going to get the keys to my car. The only way I MIGHT rethink that is if SHE IS putting gas in the car and is putting in for maintanence of the car. And God forbid something happens to my car in her care, SHE will be paying for it. Now if she has a problem with me telling to get her own car. And she wants to argue and dump me because of it...I will not push the next woman without a car or risk the chance of me missing my happiness because of the woman before her.

In short, it was not his lack of a car or your willingness to share your car with him that lead to the break up. It was HIS in ability to be a man and his obviously poor personality...Which is NOT linked to him having or not having a car.
 rainbowdust8
Msg: 239
Posted: 2/9/2007 3:33:08 PM
I live a ways out in the country so having a car is a necessity as the closest small store is 10 miles away. No, I would not date someone who didn't have a car or license. Did that a couple times and would never again. I'll pass!
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2007 3:51:10 PM
My mother is a perfect example of a person who has NEVER gotten a car or licence. She has never had a reason for one. She got around the best she could until she moved to NYC. And since there is mass transit, she does not need a car or is she does, she gets a cab. One of the things is that no one ever took the time out to teach her and now that she is older, she isn't really to eagar to get one.
 Deeptrolling
Msg: 243
Posted: 2/9/2007 3:59:53 PM
Red Flags, Red Flags..........No license, no car, no job, probabtion officer, kids won't talk to him/her, can't leave the house, won't give a home phone #, want's to know who you're talking to, spends to much time with "mom", always sniffing, just one more beer, stays up all night, favorite show is the Simpsons (oh wait that's mine too),.........
 AndyJP
Msg: 244
Posted: 2/9/2007 4:05:34 PM
Hmmm, I personally don't drive right now and I get along fine, but that decision is supported by my location where public transportation is readily available and the fact that I don't have kids or anything.

I don't understand why women are having negative reactions to the idea. It's accepted in society for women to be non-drivers but guys have a major consequence in that choice in that many women will not accept that. Somewhere along the line, women shifted the definition of equality to only "I can do whatever I want" rather than the elimination of the borders between genders. For the life of me, I can't understand why it's necessary for the man to drive you everywhere, and wrong for you ladies to drive the man. I can understand the preferred situation to be both regular drivers, but I don't understand why a man is frowned upon for not driving while a woman is accepted much more easily, and I'd appreciate an explanation.
 AndyJP
Msg: 246
Posted: 2/9/2007 9:25:31 PM
Cheap Trick Fan:

That's a terrible explanation. It also used to be tradition to be executed for committing adultery. Somewhere along the lines, people in majority come to realize that such things are unjust and just plain wrong, from nearly any moral standpoint. For gender equality to actually work, both genders must be regarded as equally respected, not only equal rights. That means these prejudices have to go out the window.
 musicnut46
Msg: 249
Posted: 2/10/2007 12:55:08 PM
I can't beileve some people are allowed out in public and to have any rights whatsoever. A society that dictates you have the right to drive can also take that right away. Talk about a contradiction. Driving is a total pain in the butt. So are people who don't get why you don't. That's why there's p.o.f forums. You find-out what you deserve to know on aneed to know basis.
 LittleMissScareAll
Msg: 251
Posted: 2/10/2007 9:31:32 PM
I probably won't do it again...I've dated I think 3 guys now who have had no license and 2 of them were just using me(the 3rd had a medical condition so his situation was different & understandable--the other 2 guys were just too lazy to get their license and wanted a girl to always be the one to come to them and do everything for them). So now I tend to look for guys who actually can drive. If he lived REALLY close to me, like in the same town then I might not care but most people I date don't live in the same town as me.
 MarkMann
Msg: 253
Posted: 6/1/2007 3:07:14 PM
I was almost hoping this was a joke... Not having a valid drivers license is a MAJOR RED FLAG for males and females in todays day and age. I would hate to think you would start the blind dating thing with such an uphill battle. Depending on what the reason is you do not have a license I would do everything possible to get one and hold on to it. If it just cant be done I would be in a major metro area with plenty of mass transit options and the best bicycle I could afford... Other things "not" to have if blind dating... No Clothes, No Money, No Employment History, No Schooling, No Credit Cards, No Friends, No Hobbies or Interests, No Citizenship or Green Card, No Personality, No Better Judgement, No Heart Beat... yo get the idea.... ,
 lilmslefty
Msg: 254
Posted: 6/1/2007 4:20:53 PM
Well said truebluematthew.You took the words right out of my mouth....
 Seraph1m
Msg: 258
Posted: 9/5/2007 7:19:32 PM
Haha actually, I recently found myself without a car after hitting a deer, and have met some rather understanding women despite that setback.
It's a problem to some people, but not many. Or perhaps I've just gotten lucky. :P
 lisafine
Msg: 259
Posted: 9/5/2007 8:20:21 PM
It's not usually an issue for a guy if a lady has either no car, no license or both, so to my mind guys are entitled to the same consideration.
Whether or not someone has a license or a vehicle woouldnt deter me from wanting to meet them if I was interested.

Women claim to want equal treatment in every other facet of scciety. Why the continued dependance on a man to provide transportation and chauffeur service?
 lisafine
Msg: 260
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:59:24 AM
Lots of judgement from the females on this issue. Some very harsh discrimination.
Should be a wake-up call to guys, it's that archaic double- standard that puts the onus on guys to provide whatever.

The only way to change is to refuse to buy into it.
 somewhat intersted
Msg: 265
Posted: 9/6/2007 9:21:04 PM
I have two trucks a car and a motorbike and a ride em mower, I don't think it makes to much difference these days,
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2007 10:53:45 AM
Many women here are being too hard on men who don't have their driver's licence. Some men have legitimate reasons like medical conditions ( eyesight, seizures etc.) , women shouldn't discriminate them for theses reasons. These men deserve better.
 carolann0308
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2007 5:00:20 PM
If he lived in a major city with public transportation (many NYers do not drive) or had a medical condition that meant he couldn't drive I suppose you work around it. But if he is just completely broke or lost his licence doing something stupid I would avoid him completely. Adults that do not have their acts together do not appeal to me.
 Southern Kitten
Msg: 272
Posted: 9/13/2007 5:51:17 PM
I can't say much cause I have dated some good guys that didn't have either, I don't have either due to a dui 5 years ago. I think men won't date women if they don't cause they think it is good digging. So all I can say is if the spark is there who the hell cares if they got them or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >