Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chrono1985
Msg: 50
Linux distros who likes what?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I love Fedora, i'm a programmer that likes to get into the code and fix/add what i can, and Fedora so far has gave me the less headaches doing this. Also like Gentoo, though i can't get it to work properly on this HT system, it will randomly crash with a thread error (something with the hardware interface i think). As far as virtual machines, VMWare sucks, there is one on sourceforge, something comptuer, that works very well, but cuts off windows functions for a better hardware link when the virtual machine is in the focus.
 GeilerAffe
Msg: 52
Linux distros who likes what?
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:43:42 PM
I'm still a newbie in the Linux Arena, but I've tried SuSe, Knoppix axd recently Slax Killbill Live.
Slax was great because it could open all my windows apps, big problem is it wouldn't support my Wifi. Suse supported the Wifi but I had a few problems with it loosing the configurations and of course there was no support for the windows based chit I need to continue using.
Knoppix is a great intro into what linux can do.
As for what I like best, I'm still banging muh head on that one, I just wich I had time to look into it more.
 dude1112
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/5/2006 3:12:53 PM
I am all about ubuntu myself.
 POF_JERK_KING
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/8/2006 5:41:00 PM
Gentoo and Debian are my weapons of choice.

As long as it's not Windows it's all good.

Unfortunatly, I only have my work's lappy with XP at the moment...
 GeilerAffe
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/8/2006 6:52:25 PM
Could always do Live version on the laptop, or dual boot.... just to keep the work folk happy.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/17/2006 4:08:37 PM
The only negative I have with Linux over Windows is the multimedia sucks.

Depends which distribution. Linux is the platform to make animation movies off of, so obviously the potential is there. So what do you mean by multimedia sucking? Web-integrated multimedia? Ability to play different videos and music?

PcLinuxOS, out of the box, has an awesome multimedia setup that I haven't seen in any distro, and clearly beats the tar out of Windows out of the box. Yes, that's right... I said it. Less hassles for a Linux distro over Windows. Don't beleive me?

It will play all video codecs, out of the box, with awesome multimedia video apps (Kaffeine, Xine). It also comes with Amarok, which is arguably the best music player programs out there -- with built in itunes support, album cover downloads, streaming radio, etc. (not to mention an awesome design). Never having to search and download a new video codec, is awesome. A general one-click update of all system stuff can update codecs (among everything else) if a rare new one just came out.

Web-integrated multimedia -- that's where Linux can stagger. However, with PCLinuxOS, it's sweet as hell. Within Konqueror, Firefox, and Opera -- integrated Java, Flash, and multimedia video playing is built in out of the freaking box. Within Opera, video play back compatability isn't always great -- and I dunno how well it reacts with Windows.

But with Konqueror it's fine (a few sites where it won't quite go), and with Firefox, I can hardly find a site where I can't play movie trailers and other streaming videos.

So all in all, when it comes to multimedia, that's where I LIKE Linux -- it took a couple years of PCLinuxOS to get to near-perfect point of web-integrated multimedia, but it's always been ahead of every commercial distribution in this arena.

And having DVD Player support? Easy for a grandmother. Just a few clicks from the update (apt-rpm get), from the already-linked repository, and in a few seconds, you have it done on your system (for legal reasons).
 critical
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/21/2006 9:30:39 PM
I personally use Debian for all my boxen.
I install Ubuntu for other people with great success.
 GeilerAffe
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/2/2006 6:49:25 AM
Kinda related, I just did the mod on an Xbox I picked up and created myself a nice little server and video box. Can't stand the thought of wasting my time using the thing for games though.
 Imaginativeone
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/30/2006 12:57:12 AM
Trying to decide between Fedora and SuSE.
 mikem_1956
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 3:47:40 PM
I really like SuSE 10.2. It has a menu somewhat like Vista.
The only drawback is SuSE's approach to multi-media.

PCLinuxOS is really slick for a straight laptop or desktop system.

Check out my modded cases at www.moddedcomputers.com

This is just my personal hobby/obsession.

~Mike~
 whater39
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 1:13:29 AM
Red Hat - use it at my work.

OpenBSD - is cool, very secure.

But, I love my Windows. The file permissions on Windows are soo much better. There is more then read/write/execute. And I want multiple groups etc etc. GUI's are my fav, even though windows should get some more command line stuff.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 134
Posted: 5/30/2007 11:23:38 AM
Depends on who you are. Good thing, there are less common categories than the billion of linux distros out there.

1. Relatively modern desktop or laptop - PCLinuxOS. Awesome out of the box. Comes with video codecs, java & flash plugins, and all the common desktop software you'll need. Out of the box, blows Windows away. Want DVD playback, windows fonts, and a few windows-based codecs for some older videos? Just as adding in other applications not out of the box, just a few clicks through synaptic app, and you've got it. No installation program to go through. Easier to install and deinstall software than under Windows. All the diagnostic tools than come with Mandriva, which are rated the best by many many folks. Great community support, hardware detection, etc.

2. Aged Desktop or Need for Speed Desktop- Vector Linux. Extremely Fast. Fastest distro out there, and comes with plugins and essential apps. Based on Slackware, so it's fast, secure, and does the job -- even on a system with 256MB of RAM and even less.

3. For those who want to "build your own" Linux (techies) -- Gentoo. Takes a while, builds everything from scratch to match your CPU... it's a great 'from scratch' system. A lot of work to do it, but that's what techies like to have full knowledge and control of everything.
 andyman35
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 2:45:04 PM
For multimedia use I love Dreamlinux,it's a great looking and functional distro.
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 138
Linux/BSD
Posted: 6/4/2007 12:44:52 AM
@OP

ubuntu fan here
 dalek1967
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Linux/BSD
Posted: 6/4/2007 1:53:38 AM
Well, I'm a Gentoo Linux user myself. There is no windoze here either. I have been using it for quite a while, about 3 or 4 years I guess. I love it myself. It has come such a long ways since I started using it. Sometimes the people have a hick up or two but I think they got that fixed so now maybe they can concentrate on doing some good things more often.

My rig, AMD 2500+ with 1GB of ram. Abit NF7 V 2.0 mobo. Two 80GB hard drives. LG CD/RW. All in a pretty good size server type case. I have a 19" monitor too.

I use KDE for my desktop. The only thing I want to change is my internet connection. I hope they will have DSL out here soon because this dial-up sucks.

ShawnSharpe
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2007 10:02:12 PM
Well first off (in about 2002 or so maybe) I used Xandros, seemed to not be very friendly to customizing so I wanted something else.
Then used Slackware... I really liked it.
Then I tried Yoper was to slow my computer only had 512 ram at the time.
then Vector Linux I think.
then I went back to Slackware for a while.
Installed Kubuntu liked it a lot.
tried Suse did not like it.
went back to Kubuntu for a fair while then feisty started having problems with my harddrives so I switched to Fedora 7 which I'm currently running.
I plan to go back to Kubuntu when Gutsy is released.

I've tried Gnome but I have always used KDE for the most part.
 cmp1988
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/25/2007 11:49:06 PM
PCLinuxOS 2007

Great compatibility, simple, and "just works".
 AtHomeInTheWoods
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/2/2007 12:43:28 PM
Puppy Linux does most everything I want out of the box. However not very hard to specialize it. Also works very well on older hardware.

If you really want something with more bells and whistles out of box then PClinuxOS is probably way to go. Then Knoppix, then Mepis, in that order. But really I dont think any of those do anything that Puppy cant and Puppy will run noticably faster unless you have a very fast computer.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 153
Posted: 10/16/2007 2:24:09 PM
1Fish ^^^^^^,

Try PCLinuxOS. Out of the box, it has Flash & Java installed... with one click installs, you can add cool/standard fonts everyone else has, DVD playability, upgrade the current software to the newest, etc.

When you install, it's easy as pie to partition. Beforehand though, defrag your XP system. Then load the Live CD, and run the install. Choose "create/edit partitions". In a graph, it shows the main partition where XP resides. "Re-Size" it down, freeing up to about 20+ gigs, and the system will grind for a while. Your XP partition won't be hosed. It will then free up blank space in the graph. Click on it, then click "Create Partition", and maximize that freed 20+ gigs. Viola. Done. Then go thru the install and it installs on there, and will add a blue screen when your computer reboots to choose XP or Linux.

PCLinuxOS is great because it comes with popular software & plugins out of the box... isn't bloated, and has a software repository that's easy to access to add new software and to upgrade current software.

For your wireless card (if you have one), you can easily just go in to the "Control Panel" of it, and add a wireless component, and search your XP partition for the driver, add it, and viola - you have wireless.
 dalek1967
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:10:50 PM
I'm still sticking with Gentoo. As close to Linus from scratch as you can get. Also has the top notch support in forums, IRC and a mailing list. Hard to beat all that.

Before that I was a Mandrake user. It was fine until time to upgrade.

Dale

andyman35
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 12:20:37 PM
I like Ubuntu and for multimedia,DreamLinux.
 godliketoaster
Msg: 171
Posted: 6/29/2008 2:47:22 AM
Ubuntu 8.4

I like it :D

Plus wine runs like a wet dream on it, which means it's pretty much a windows platform too!

Though I do use Windows Xp (With so many addons it doesn't even look like windows) But blackbox and rainmeter make it look like I am running a Unix type machine
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >