Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > At what point do you give up on Romance?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yendor65
Msg: 26
At what point do you give up on Romance?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
gees.....lots of moaning and groaning going on here.

to the OP........never give up dear. especially once you have found him.
 lilkitten
Msg: 27
At what point do you give up on Romance?
Posted: 12/28/2005 6:58:19 PM
Kerry,
I will probably get flamed for this (as I always do) but class up your act. What ar you doing to mandate head on the third date? There is a fine line between flirting and acting promiscuous. If you are kissing and truly enjoying each other that is one thing, but if you are letting him fondle you as you are kissing...that leads to the 'head' request on the next date.
Respect yourself and make him work for you. Play a little hard to get, as it were, and class yourself up by being a bit standoffish. Nothing wrong with that and the guy should respect you more. After all YOU are a great catch and he needs to prove himself worthy of your affection.
Sorry guys, but that is the way it works...and don't tell me otherwise.

I wish you the best
 codemonkey
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:06:55 PM

The romantic "nice guy" who gets flamed. So he's cut right out of the picture. The genuine fella, who's not the bad boy that you are expecting, so he doesn't get the attention.

The above is me....

But I've found especially on these websites that the "Grog" as you call it, are messing it up for the nice guy. Most women must be put off by the "What are you wearing?" comments that they don't have patience for "us."

----"Never was uttered a statement more true,

Stop dating the idiots, or the idiot is you.

When pressed with the query "please suck my man stick",

Respond with a weary "Never call me you prick".-------

---"They hide in a garden, so leafy with weeds,

Romantic and sweet, the strawberry's seeds.

The weeds as they hide them will beg for your hand,

Find your sweet fruit, lest it fall to the land."----
 blucolrdrew
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:08:34 PM
never

sending cara and kerrymh a rose and box of xox truffles
 cardsfan422
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:08:45 PM
"At what point do you give up on Romance?"

the point at which you write a post on a cyber-forum asking when to give up.
 bigsmile
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:46 PM
kerrymh........no one opens doors for you, doesn't show you anything special....you have to find new places to find these men!!! and men, shame on you!!!!

Now --- you do have to be looking for "special" in places you never thought you would find it and sometimes it can take several dates......what I find most special is when it shows up in conversation, cooking or other little ways that he actually heard some of what I said.....what I like, what I dream of.......it may just be serving brussel sprouts with dinner because he recalls I said I liked them and he even tries to feign liking them too, now that's a biggy. But these are subtle little things and sometimes their comment might fly right past you if you aren't looking for it. He may even express plans to give you something you want in a non-bullshit kind of way even though you know he won't possibly be able to deliver on the dream, but you need to accept the gesture as his way of saying he listened, he heard and he sure would love to see you smile if only he could. If you start looking, you may find more then you see at first.
 cara2005
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:17:06 PM
lmao @ hombre........ya you're right! Sorry guys, just in a downer mood. Should know better than to post when I'm a little ticked.

Ah Blu......... sweet!

Time to warm up! Happy New Year everyone!!
 Linerunner
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:18:03 PM

I'm talking about a man approaching me in the real world and telling me that he saw me and couldn't let me go by with out saying hello

Scary. I prefer to talk a bit.. get some kind of sense of whether or not they'd be receptive before putting my head on the chopping block for all to see.

I have never ever had a guy take me out to dinner at a non fast food place.

I've never taken a date to a fast food joint.. ever.

I have never had a guy open doors for me

I always open doors for everyone, date or not. (Except guys.. they're on their own lol)

I have never ever had even a single romantic gesture from any man in my life...

Like chocolates on Valetine's? Asking them to *be* my valentine even if we're already going steady? Getting tickets to a show she wants to see and arranging for them to be on the serving tray at the resteraunt? Slipping a note that just says "I love you" and is signed into her purse to be discovered who knows when?

Romance isn't dead. It's out there.. so yes, I'll chime in with your friends and agree that when you least expect it Cupid can strike. But this thread tells me something. You're thinking about it.. enough to write about it. That's not going to help the magic to happen, in fact being hyper aware might even *prevent* it. Live, laugh... and it will find you if you let it.

Best of luck

yrsfrlve
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/28/2005 9:03:29 PM
cara, I'm glad you got out of your mood; you were beginning to depress me a bit and I don't think you were helping the OP with her problem.

As for you kerry, I checked your profile and your voting history; and guess what? Your voting preference is 90% for 6 foot plus good looking fit guys and the other one was 5'8'' and also pretty fit looking. So, I'm going to get way out of line here and make a simple little suggestion: take some of the money you get from your great job, buy a membership at a gym and spend some honest sweat time there. After you've got about 6 or 8 months of that in, you might have some common ground with the guys you feel most attracted to. They didn't get their physiques lolling around b*tch*ng about not getting any respect from their love objects and I suspect that physical fitness is an important part of who they are or they wouldn't spend the time achieving it. Capiche?
 kmhstx
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/29/2005 3:39:18 AM
lol my voting preference was at the beginning of all this stuff, and more of a joke And I know that I would have little incommon with a buff guy so I don't persue them for the most part..also just because they take care of their bodies does not mean that they are romantic... And I know I need to work on myself...but I didn't want this to become a another weight thread. I am working on myself lol I lost wt over Xmas lol not many people do that. And I know that romance isn't dead. I certianly know that I have some very lucky girlfriends that have some great husbands...so please men its not that I don't think that there aren't romantic men left out there...its just that I guess there is a frustration at having never experienced it myself. So you guys that do little things to show you care keep it up. Maybe I'll stumble upon one of you some day. And thanks everyone for your answers.
 yrsfrlve
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:02 AM
Sorry dear; not my intention or purpose to belittle an obviously nice person for physical appearances, particularly as I have gone through an undisciplined phase myself at one time or another. Having experienced a few up and downs in life, I do feel confident in saying however, that a lot of life's frustrations come from walking around with our "shoe laces untied". I have found it much easier to command respect from others when I demonstrated respect for myself. Best of luck to you in your goals; and keep the faith. You're young, you've got time and there's absolutely no profit in selling yourself short to get less than you want and need.

PS Romance is clearly not dead, but sometimes it's a little shy.
 dave1234
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:19:04 AM
To OP: Where the hell are you meeting these guys? Head on the second date? He should be wanting to please you on the second date. Set a rule. "When it comes to sex, I come first!"
 dave1234
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:35:07 AM
Another possibility is the type of guy you look for. If a guy is popular and attractive to lots of women then he is more likely to take the chance and ask for a head job. He really doesn't care if you turn him down or dump him as he will just get another gal the next night. You have to look for someone more appreciative which translates into older or less attractive or smaller car....well, you get the idea. It's fine to get the "prize" companion as long as you are willing to work at keeping them because that is what you will have to do.
 kmhstx
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:37:18 AM
Where the hell am I meeting some of these guys lmao right here...they all talk big..and then well it just ends up like that..hell its not like I give it haha...Either way I am most definitally going to be more picky,,and cool off for awhile anyway. I do ok on my own, so its no big deal... lol just hope there is something to look forward to when I come back out of hiding lol.

Oh yeah and dave...I am not looking for the popular guy believe me..its the ones you say i should be looking for that I was trying to give a chance...30 year olds going back to school, no car..ect..and I get that attitude...so don't tell me its only the hot guys that show no respect its the ones that you hope would have to work alittle harder..they do the same thing...eh maybe if I was super hot they wouldn't but still I think it shows pretty low class to ask anyone to do that at any point...lol you should never ask never...major turn off.
 Iron Wolf
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:56 AM
Well, perhaps it is the heading in your profile that impedes your success on here at least
 terminallycute
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:49:47 AM
never give up on romance, to do so would be a very sad thing.

Just because you dont have that made for TV movie scene of ..man bumping into you on a street corner, exchanges of sultry looks, spending the afternoon in a charming little bistro as the snow falls gently outside kind of romance, doesnt mean that there is romance lacking anywhere.

You have to be happy with your inner self. You have to relize that although beautiful things or moments are best to be shared..you can still enjoy them by yourself.
When you come to that point in your life then open your eyes, and romance might have been standing right there in front of you all the time.

I guess Im just a romantic at heart..

kmhstx
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:50:36 AM
well i'm not really actively trying on here anymore lol, I really do just like the forums...and I want to better myself physically, and in other ways to see if that will make anydifference in the type of person I can attract. So I am not actively searching online anymore..so I'm not too worried about on here.
 PrincessInPink
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:52:10 AM
Ok 2 things to add! First off Don't blame the girl for a guys bad manners. That whole you asked for it attitude has got to go! And secondly don't ever give up hope. I can't guarantee that guy is out there (cause I haven't found one yet) But all guys are different! You always have to remember to Love like you've never been hurt!
M
 dave1234
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:18:43 AM

(Msg 39) Either way I am most definitally going to be more picky,,

I think the problem is being too picky to begin with. Let's be honest here. I bet you have had guys email you or ask you out whom didn't exactly curl your toes. In many cases the so-called chemistry is sexual attraction. Experience has taught me that sometimes a person I do not find irresistibly, sexually attractive turns out to be exactly the opposite once we had sex. And I definately know the opposite is true. I'll never forget one gal I met where I worked. She was absolutely gorgeous. Guys drooled when she walked by.

(Time for a short story.) We all headed to the club after work. She took a liking to me and insisted on sitting beside me when someone got up to dance. A bit pushy but, hey, I was in Heaven. The rest of the table was watching as the magic flowed.

I have to say that was the worst intimate encounter I ever had. The rumors swirled at work but settled down after they saw we were not together. I was young then and I think it left a lasting effect on me. Now when I see a drop-dead gorgeous woman I think of her.

Choose someone who you feel will appreciate you even if they may not be the best looking guy around. If he turns out to be a good guy then after a few dates try him out in bed. You just may be pleasantly surprised!
 terminallycute
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:33:34 AM

Experience has taught me that sometimes a person I do not find irresistibly, sexually attractive turns out to be exactly the opposite once we had sex.

LMAO..OF COURSE IT DID..she had sex with YOU!!
 kmhstx
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:29:05 AM
Well Dave, the thing is I have gone out with guys that I am not attracted to..and I learned the lesson not to do it again... They become friends...but if I have no attraction to them it goes no where..and no I don't need to be with someone who is super hot..I think if a guy has great eyes I could over look anything lol...So that is also why I want a pic if meeting online...so that I know if I will at least have a possiblity of being attracted. I've met too many with no pics and had very poor results. And once again these guys that I wasn't really into..no romance lol.
 GeorgiaPeaches0
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:58:18 AM

So that is also why I want a pic if meeting online...so that I know if I will at least have a possiblity of being attracted. I've met too many with no pics and had very poor results.

I hear you on that! And what's just as bad is when they do have a pic but it's blurry or taken from far away or they aren't smiling and showing some teeth. There's nothing worse than a date showing up and they have either nasty teeth or it looks like their trying to eat an apple through a fence. LOL It may seem shallow to some but it's an instant turn off for me. I just can't imagine myself kissing them.
 dave1234
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:03:59 AM
(Msg 46) Well Dave, the thing is I have gone out with guys that I am not attracted to..and I learned the lesson not to do it again... They become friends...but if I have no attraction to them it goes no where..

By that do you mean you were intimate and no sparks flew? They were duds in bed as well as out?
 dave1234
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:06:25 AM

(Msg 47) looks like their trying to eat an apple through a fence.

IMshrek
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:33:33 AM
Romance is not to be tossed aside, but is something to be weary of. Romance can banish all intellect as emotions take over an otherwise intelligent person and make him/her do stupid things. Trust is to be earned and not rewarded to someone you only just met. That's how you're heart gets broken even if they did not intend on breaking it. Never give up on being romantic, just be careful to be overly romantic and watch out for your *ss so you have less chance of being hurt.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > At what point do you give up on Romance?